• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Nah man, it's only a few frames and you won't notice it. Additionally, if you want to game on consoles you should be prepared to have games that claim to be locked 60fps routinely dip below. You're not seeing the added value content of MCC. Be grateful.

I'm not gonna lie, you continue to impress me with your poor ability to read someone's post and analyze it correctly.

Only a few frames? Yeah, sure, dips in FPS totally aren't noticeable, especially when it dips into 45-50fps. Stutter is totally not noticeable. Shadow pop in in is totally not noticeable. Also, the fact that the video demonstrates all of this quite clearly also isn't noticeable.

Not seeing the added value of the MCC? Sure, criticizing one aspect of the package and then mentioning how wonderful Halo 3 looks is totally not being grateful. I suppose I have to mention everything I love about the package to be perceived as grateful.

giphy.gif

Madness

I'm not gonna lie, you continue to impress me with your poor ability to read someone's post and analyze it correctly.

Only a few frames? Yeah, sure, dips in FPS totally aren't noticeable, especially when it dips into 45-50fps. Stutter is totally not noticeable. Shadow pop in in is totally not noticeable. Also, the fact that the video demonstrates all of this quite clearly also isn't noticeable.

Not seeing the added value of the MCC? Sure, criticizing one aspect of the package and then mentioning how wonderful Halo 3 looks is totally not being grateful. I suppose I have to mention everything I love about the package to be perceived as grateful.

giphy.gif

Since you reminded me in the other thread, maybe read up on sarcasm yourself. And also a tip, it helps to keep up with the discussions that happened a few pages back. I was parroting what others said to me.

Read up on sarcasm. And also a tip for you since you're new, go back a few pages and read up on the discussion. I was parroting what others said to me.

Read up on sarcasm? Nice retreat. Considering you already failed to notice my obviously sarcastic post in the gaming section regarding how I played Halo 5 and Frankie let me reveal that Halo 5 has sprint and the DMR is overpowered. I can post those here to remind you if you want.

I'm "new?" Sounds like the old "I'm in 5th grade so I'm much cooler than you toddlers in 2nd grade" mentality.

Madness

Read up on sarcasm? Nice retreat. Considering you already failed to notice my obviously sarcastic post in the gaming section regarding how I played Halo 5 and Frankie let me reveal that Halo 5 has sprint and the DMR is overpowered. I can post those here to remind you if you want.

I'm "new?" Sounds like the old "I'm in 5th grade so I'm much cooler than you toddlers in 2nd grade" mentality.

Well if you would've read maybe 4 pages back, you'd see I brought up the exact points you were and was shot down about how it's only a few frames, barely noticeable, be happy for all that you're getting, that if you expect to game on consoles, be prepared for this.

So it's best to keep up with discussion. And yeah, since you called me out because I couldn't recognize your trolling/sarcasm, it's ironic you couldn't do the same to me right now and notice mine.

Well if you would've read maybe 4 pages back, you'd see I brought up the exact points you were and was shot down about how it's only a few frames, barely noticeable, be happy for all that you're getting, that if you expect to game on consoles, be prepared for this.

So it's best to keep up with discussion. And yeah, since you called me out because I couldn't recognize your trolling/sarcasm, it's ironic you couldn't do the same to me right now and notice mine.

I rate you 6 Ragnaroks out of 10.

Madness

The "everyone releases everything in November" mindset needs to die in the worst way.

Major Nelson and Phil actually talked about this in the podcast. They said that February, May, which used to be quiet months are now starting to see major releases. That they all don't need to release on top of one another and battle for sales.

Next year we'll probably have Halo 5 and another CoD battle in November, along with the new Star Wars: Battlefront for shooters. It's just too lucrative of a time though. Have the initial sales lead into the holidays and Christmas etc.

willow ve

Feels good to see Halo creep up on the charts on Amazon. Need to get an xbone now so I can troll and blain all these first timers at launch.

Released in: 8 days

Time has gone too quickly, I still have so much I need to do before this collection arrives and I turn into a couch potato again.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I might find myself wanting to just play in classic graphics to just relieve myself of being distracted by graphical oddities, gameplay breaking geometry conflicts, and frame rate inconsistencies. I may sound like I'm griping excessively about it, but my eyes are extremely sensitive to that stuff. If I see shadow/texture pop in out of the corner of my eyes its immensely distracting and immersion breaking.

This is why I think they should have went the route of dedicated anniversary mode without switching to avoid these issues. I'm still miffed that they didn't increase the draw distance in all of the games...surely they have enough "horsepower" to do that.

You're porting over games that were specifically optimized for a different console, and one that was, comparatively, far more impressive CPU-wise than what we have now. CPU speeds gains have leveled off significantly since the 360 came out, and as opposed to that generation when the console specs were incredible, we basically got "good" on both PS4 and XBX1 this time around. So I imagine doing what you consider would only have been possible with significant adjustments to all of the games, something that doesn't seem possible given the timeframe they had to work on them.

On the other hand, it's more feasible we could see updates that would smooth some of the performance bumps (although things like CEA's weak points graphically, I imagine, are just always going to be there.)

You're porting over games that were specifically optimized for a different console, and one that was, comparatively, far more impressive CPU-wise than what we have now. CPU speeds gains have leveled off significantly since the 360 came out, and as opposed to that generation when the console specs were incredible, we basically got "good" on both PS4 and XBX1 this time around. So I imagine doing what you consider would only have been possible with significant adjustments to all of the games, something that doesn't seem possible given the timeframe they had to work on them.

On the other hand, it's more feasible we could see updates that would smooth some of the performance bumps (although things like CEA's weak points graphically, I imagine, are just always going to be there.)

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. My eyes are just particularly sensitive to it, especially because I have been playing PC games at 144hz for a while. Anything below 60fps is so immediately apparent. I know my sensitivity to it is probably subjective, just disappointing in and of itself. Having all 4 games in one though is still great and will play Halo CE a ton.

Eoin

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. My eyes are just particularly sensitive to it, especially because I have been playing PC games at 144hz for a while. Anything below 60fps is so immediately apparent. I know my sensitivity to it is probably subjective, just disappointing in and of itself. Having all 4 games in one though is still great and will play Halo CE a ton.
I'd wait to see how performance is after the 20gb update before getting too disappointed.

jem0208

Yeah I might find myself wanting to just play in classic graphics to just relieve myself of being distracted by graphical oddities, gameplay breaking geometry conflicts, and frame rate inconsistencies. I may sound like I'm griping excessively about it, but my eyes are extremely sensitive to that stuff. If I see shadow/texture pop in out of the corner of my eyes its immensely distracting and immersion breaking.

This is why I think they should have went the route of dedicated anniversary mode without switching to avoid these issues. I'm still miffed that they didn't increase the draw distance in all of the games...surely they have enough "horsepower" to do that.

#NextGen

It does suck though how every facet of Halo: CE is continually getting screwed over either due to negligence or ignorance.

I was actually referring to Halo 4. He edited his post though so that wasn't obvious.

Well this is going to facilitate some calm and mature discussions.

HaloGAF: All about dat drama.

Edit: I love how the Halo 4 level designer basically loves all of them then you have Max who's just like "yep, this one is shit."

Madness

Apparently IGN is ranking all 110 multiplayer maps leading up to MCC now that IGN First is over.

110-86 posted today.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/03/ranking-every-halo-map-ever-made-110-86

Pitfall at #95? Had this map been in since launch, it would have been perhaps the best map in the game. It plays really well in Halo 4 and because it's based off the Pit, maintains that symmetry and tight game play. They'll probably rank Pit in top ten, so it makes no sense, an almost identical version of the map is ranked so low.

jem0208

Pitfall at #95? Had this map been in since launch, it would have been perhaps the best map in the game. It plays really well in Halo 4 and because it's based off the Pit, maintains that symmetry and tight game play. They'll probably rank Pit in top ten, so it makes no sense, an almost identical version of the map is ranked so low.
Yeah, I didn't understand this one either.

The Pit is a fantastic map and Pitfall plays pretty well with Halo 4.

daedalius

F1NXX.gif

Gandhi quit during Halo 3. He was good sniper in Halo 2 and was proficient at spouting immature and annoying shit during matches, but he is definitely nowhere near one of the best nowadays. However, I will go ahead and say that this SixTen guy couldn't win a BR battle on H4 of all games against some randy like me (and mastrbiggy, who is also "such ass"), so while Gandhi isn't in his prime anymore, he's most definitely better off without this dude.

"Such ass, you guys are such ass."

I also out br'd him a few times.

Also what's with the new drama? We couldn't go a few weeks without any?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zealot is #107? I feel offended.
Zealot is a weird one. I don't know a single casual player who likes it, and the only reason people in the competitive scene like it so much is because all of Reach's other maps were so bad. It deserves better than #107, but it's not all that great.

tootsi666

Zealot is a weird one. I don't know a single casual player who likes it, and the only reason people in the competitive scene like it so much is because all of Reach's other maps were so bad. It deserves better than #107, but it's not all that great.
For some reason it's one of my favourite Halo maps and I'm most definitely not a competive player.

Havok

Too many comments about the quality of that list to name, but here are a couple:

Two people who are paid to have opinions about video games think Abandon is better than at least 25 maps in the Halo series, including the secretly great (Arena) Zealot, which was listed as being of lower quality than even the awful default Forge spaces Sandbox and Impact.

Vertigo, a mediocre map that relies entirely on an equally mediocre EMP gimmick, is ranked higher than Pitfall, a pretty faithful remake of a map that is widely considered to be near the high-water mark for the series in terms of map quality.

Okay.

Carry on.

Top Bottom