• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Overdoziz

Banned
True, but it also had a Laser. And a base with stickies/PP.

The spawns weren't the best but even when fully locked down and I'm driving a great gunner to easy kill heaven, you need to control the enemy base to force them to spawn outside and even then you only get at most 70-80 of the team spawning together in one area.

If you're team loses the laser. Loses their own base. and lets the over team set up the hog spawn trap, well the teams weren't particularly balanced in the first place. I've locked a ton and been locked on Standoff, it takes just one player, one sticky, to sort it out.
Either way the map could've definitely done with some halfway decent cover outside of the bases. Maybe some more structures where the silos are or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EDIT: GUI, man be safe. Don't do something stupid, please.

Either way the map could've definitely done with some halfway decent cover outside of the bases. Maybe some more structures where the silos are or something.

Yeah, every edit I've made has been to protect the spawns much more, give them more cover and options.

RoKKeR

Tried brightening it up a bit, but that shit is dark.

untitled-1e1r44.gif

inb4 crushed blacks comment.

darthbob

I find it funny how all the developer comments on the Halo 1/2 maps are along the lines of "Yeah, we made a mistake here guys. Sorry" whilst the Halo 4 guys are all "We sure did an awesome job on this bad boy, it's so great! One of my favourite maps!"

Probably want to see the H4 hopper get a sizable population so they won't trash talk. That being said Monolith isn't that bad.

Impala26

The IT remake felt like it was inserted into the campaign for the sake of it. You were in and out and it barely registers.

Of course, it was a remake, not an original map.

I don't see Boneyard mentioned yet, meaning it's ranked higher than all these maps, including Highlands. That is a genuine crime.

Very much true. Hell, Breakpoint was a better map than Boneyard.

It rarely appeared outside of the DLC Playlist. When the playlist was taken down, I stopped playing as much. I pretty much lived in that playlist for a long while.

The Ridgeline/Timberlands came and I played again. Until they took that away from me too.

Just thinking, I'd happily pay $15/20 for all the Reach maps as DLC.

I'm just really bummed the handling of DLC maps in matchmaking for Reach and Halo 4 was pretty much botched in comparison to 2 and 3. The "this DLC costs X dollars until a year from now when it'll be free to everyone" model worked gloriously in Halo 2 and resulted in EVERYONE playing on the DLC maps (many of which were better than the original 10/11? maps it shipped with. Halo 3 was almost in good in this regard too.

Impala26

Probably want to see the H4 hopper get a sizable population so they won't trash talk. That being said Monolith isn't that bad.

Skyline and Monolith were my favorite H4 DLC maps (didn't buy the last one with Pitfall though as I had the season pass) because they handled more like the classic arena H2/H3 maps of old.

Harvest ultimately ended up being being pretty good as well, but that was almost solely due to SWAT matches on that map however...

CliQ

I don't think the problem was with cover. The Warthog gun was a little too strong. For how much power it had it should have had an overheat mechanic to it.

The fight for the laser was the real deciding factor to winning that map. If you didn't have the laser then you couldn't control the hogs very well.

Blueblur1

I find it funny how all the developer comments on the Halo 1/2 maps are along the lines of "Yeah, we made a mistake here guys. Sorry" whilst the Halo 4 guys are all "We sure did an awesome job on this bad boy, it's so great! One of my favourite maps!"

343 in a nutshell.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
343 in a nutshell.

Blueblur in a nutshell.

I'm assuming the original post was commenting on quotes from Kynan.

Kynan, who I adore, is no longer at 343. He joined Blue Point in Austin, TX. I have no idea if Kynan would have negative comments about those maps, but developers aren't in the habit of saying bad things publicly about content created by another studio. In this case, a lot of those maps were creating by our development partner, Certain Affinity, also based in Austin, TX. Personally, I think several of the maps created by CA are my personal favorites from Halo 4 and would defend their design to anyone. However, I don't think anyone thinks any creative work is perfect.

It's far easier to criticize your own work, which any developer will tell you, we do on a daily basis. Developers are usually their own worst critic by a large margin, but often it's not always productive to air those criticisms in public, as it's far too easy for them to be used out of context by folks posting on forums with an axe to grind. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to insinuate with your drive-by vague post, but, based on your posting history, it's par for the course.

tootsi666

Blueblur in a nutshell.

Kynan, who I adore, is no longer at 343. He joined Blue Point in Austin, TX. I have no idea if Kynan would have negative comments about those maps, but developers aren't in the habit of saying bad things publicly about content created by another studio. In this case, a lot of those maps were creating by our development partner, Certain Affinity, also based in Austin, TX. Personally, I think several of the maps created by CA are my personal favorites from Halo 4 and would defend their design to anyone. However, I don't think anyone thinks any creative work is perfect.

It's far easier to criticize your own work, which any developer will tell you, we do on a daily basis. Developers are usually their own worst critic by a large margin, but often it's not always productive to air those criticisms in public, as it's far too easy for them to be used out of context by folks posting on forums with an axe to grind. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to insinuate with your drive-by vague post, but, based on your posting history, it's par for the course.
It's probably easier to say "we made mistakes" in public if those mistakes were made over 10 years ago.

Nice to see 343 folks jump in with support for Gui.

Gui's a good guy, and more handsome than he realises :p, I'm lucky enough to have played with him a lot and got to have a lovely meal with him a few years ago.

Hoping the best for my buddy.
Got an xbox one today.

What's the easiest way to sell a digital game code?
Adverts.ie? Or something similar.

Got a Fifa 15 code. But we already have it for PS4 at a friends house.

Doubt anyone here wants it, but I'm looking for around the cost of the MCC.

Cheapest I can get that is off the US MS store for around 50 euros right?

On the UK/Irl store it costs €70, fuck that noise

lybertyboy

It's probably easier to say "we made mistakes" in public if those mistakes were made over 10 years ago.

That's certainly true. And just so no one misunderstands, I know we made mistakes on Halo 4. Everyone who worked on the project knows that. That is the nature of game development. There's no such thing as a perfect game.

All I can say, is that at our studio we're dedicated to learning from those mistakes and taking them into account for our future work. But of course, our takeaways and learnings from past mistakes might not be the same as every player out there. That's also the nature of game development. We're people with viewpoints and those many diverse viewpoints don't always align on every single element. That creative friction drives us every day to do our very best work. It won't be perfect, but please don't think that we sit back on a daily basis thinking everything we do is perfect. It's not, but it is certainly created with passion and a drive to do the very best work on every single day.

IHaveIce

Banned
That's certainly true. And just so no one misunderstands, I know we made mistakes on Halo 4. Everyone who worked on the project knows that. That is the nature of game development. There's no such thing as a perfect game.

All I can say, is that at our studio we're dedicated to learning from those mistakes and taking them into account for our future work. But of course, our takeaways and learnings from past mistakes might not be the same as every player out there. That's also the nature of game development. We're people with viewpoints and those many diverse viewpoints don't always align on every single element. That creative friction drives us every day to do our very best work. It won't be perfect, but please don't think that we sit back on a daily basis thinking everything we do is perfect. It's not, but it is certainly created with passion and a drive to do the very best work on every single day.

So David, all in all it boils down to this, did you learn and remove sprint or not :p <3

Madness

That's certainly true. And just so no one misunderstands, I know we made mistakes on Halo 4. Everyone who worked on the projects knows that. That is the nature of game development. There's no such thing as a perfect game.

All I can say, is that at our studio we're dedicated on learning from those mistakes and taking them into account for our future work. But of course, our takeaways and learnings from past mistakes might not be the same as every player out there. That's also the nature of game development. We're people with viewpoints and those many diverse viewpoints don't always align on every single element. That creative friction drives us every day to do our very best work. It won't be perfect, but please don't think that we sit back on a daily basis thinking everything we do is perfect. It's not, but it is certainly created with passion and a drive to do the very best work on every single day.

How are you stacking up against the new pros and hires on the team now? I know you played a shit ton of Halo 2 in the past, but it was ten years ago. I'd imagine guys like Ghost, Strongside, Neighbor, Bravo all pretty much dong on the rest of the team.

Respectable words from a respectable man.

Keep doing what you're doing. Admitting that we make mistakes and striving to do better next time is all any of us can do. And honestly, Halo 4 wasn't that bad. I'm looking forward to playing it again in the MCC.

Blueblur in a nutshell.

The latest Podcast Unlocked with Max was very interesting. He was critical of past maps like Damnation, Waterworks, Colossus, but loved some later maps Daybreak. I gotta say, I'm inclined to agree with what he says about Daybreak being an extremely fun map that would've played better in a different sandbox/settings. I could go on forever about why Max is a great figure for fans, but I think most of that is apparent to us by now. You guys have some great people to head the franchise.

For anyone that hasn't listened/watched, I highly recommend it.

lybertyboy

How are you stacking up against the new pros and hires on the team now? I know you played a shit ton of Halo 2 in the past, but it was ten years ago. I'd imagine guys like Ghost, Strongside, Neighbor, Bravo all pretty much dong on the rest of the team.

I'm clearly outclassed by the pros, but I will say that I can at least perform respectably against them. Of course, my definition of respectable might not be the same as yours. As long as my k/d is at least 1, I'm usually pretty happy. :)

Oh, thanks to everyone else who mentioned my engagement. It's a very exciting time.

pacman85

Lol, I was noticing this too. Hilarious....

Omni

A bit off topic. Gunplay in CoD is so boring.

GG Activision. That's twice in one year I've bought into marketing hype. You can't get refunds on digital downloads on Xbone, can you? I haven't finished downloading it, if that makes any difference.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

GG Activision. That's twice in one year I've bought into marketing hype. You can't get refunds on digital downloads on Xbone, can you? I haven't finished downloading it, if that makes any difference.

You can. Just call/chat with Xbox support.

I think you only get one though.

Fracas

#fuckonami

You might be. Message support and see what happens. I bought it on ps4 then my console bricked lol. Sony support refunded me

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think it's too difficult to objectively analyze the quality of maps simply because the quality of the maps is entirely dependent on the quality of the sandbox...

For example... i thought halo 4 maps were pretty darn good, but the mechanics really damaged the quality of gameplay expected on those maps. This is why i was really hopeful halo 4 maps would be playable in H2A...

Reach maps deserve a lot of shit, though. Same with many maps that came out for H3 starting with cold storage onwards. They used bad philosophy which wouldn't work in any of the halo environments... clutter on walls, using stairs instead of ramps, really noisy texture work that blended players in with the environment. Difficult positional awareness on spawn (lack of set pieces or unique geometry/texturing)

Halo 4 mostly fixed those issues, but the gameplay... particularly with the ordnance and things like AA just made things a clusterfuck.

Some of the maps in H4 with H2 combat and set weapon spawns would probably be fan favorites.

IMO i would really like haven, solace, longbow, exile, vertigo in H2 engine

It sucks that Call of Duty, Titanfall and Destiny all go for the die quick respawn quick approach, I enjoy titanfall for it's robots and running around on walls but the shooting is boring.

I love halo because it takes more then a second to kill someone with full shields unless you plan a grenade hit first or have a power weapon, you can react to being shot at in halo more often then not.

Top Bottom