• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

jem0208

Just messed about in the new forge... genuinely impressed.

The maps that people can create are going to be really interesting.
I'm already planning a crazy zombie map.

They were always my speciality. Fucking love zombies on Halo.

Using the scripting we might actually be able to have a linear zombie game, rather than just flat out survival.

I really hope we can give the zombies Promethean vision in H2A. I know it's never going to happen but it would be awesome :(

Tombstone - possibly v1. The Halo 1 pistol easter egg appears to be the v1 version. Not sure if the rest of the map has the invisible walls everywhere. Someone should confirm later.

Desolation - missing some bloom effects from Xbox, but H2 PC was missing those already, so not unexpected. Don't know if the infinite vehicle clone glitch still works.

District - it's still District, still reflects Turf

Uplift - still has the Needler ammo pods on it.
Can you explain the differences between tombstone v1 and v2 regarding the h1 pistol Easter egg?

I'm already planning a crazy zombie map.

They were always my speciality. Fucking love zombies on Halo.

Using the scripting we might actually be able to have a linear zombie game, rather than just flat out survival.

I really hope we can give the zombies Promethean vision in H2A. I know it's never going to happen but it would be awesome :(

Definitely going to create Infected Manor again with KingBartlett. After that, competitive maps for me!

Ace 8095

My Xbox that was scheduled to arrive yesterday now has this message
A LATE UPS TRAILER ARRIVAL HAS DELAYED DELIVERY. WE'RE ADJUSTING PLANS TO DELIVER YOUR PACKAGE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. / DELIVERY WILL BE RESCHEDULED.
Anyone ever experienced this? I hope it arrives by Monday.

How does the multiplayer work in the MCC?
You jump into a lobby and choose what playlist you want to play. There will be specific playlists if you only want to play a specific Halo. There will also be game-type specific playlists where you play something like objective or slayer in all 4 halo games. Still get to vote on which map of course. For example (from the bulletin) here's a slayer lobby where players are voting between a H2A map, a halo 3 map, and a halo 1 map. The game loads the specific halo engine for whichever map is chosen and dumps everyone into the game.

fQh9uPe.jpg

Rizzi

You jump into a lobby and choose what playlist you want to play. There will be specific playlists if you only want to play a specific Halo. There will also be game-type specific playlists where you play something like objective or slayer in all 4 halo games. Still get to vote on which map of course. For example (from the bulletin) here's a slayer lobby where players are voting between a H2A map, a halo 3 map, and a halo 1 map. The game loads the specific halo engine for whichever map is chosen and dumps everyone into the game.

fQh9uPe.jpg

Oooh thanks.

klodeckel

Banned
1idn4ul.png

Ranks even tho this is not the H2A playlist.

Seems like they have it working on every playlist already, but really want to test it on one only at first on release. Even says "Ranking coming soon", so I expect they will not need too much time.

nillapuddin

I feel mildly rused having just realized I can't wear Mark V in halo 4 anymore.

WHAT IN THE FUCKING FUCK.

There is nothing funny about this, idk where my MKVnoooo.jpg is, but using that would be making too much light of the situation. I don't give a fuck about frame drops, hit detection beeps, messed up map variants compared to this.

How in the actual fuck do you have an "everything unlocked from everything forever" game, and not have the saving grace of Halo 4.

Wake me when it's patched in.

The customization in this game in terms of armor continues to disappoint and it makes me so good damn sad.

EvB

Got mine this morning and have taken 4 hours to get through the first level on Halo 2 on legendary.

It's more playable than H:CE in 2014 thanks to the BR

Akai__

Well, if MS allows stores to give out copies early for people who have pre-ordered it, than they should unlock the game for people who have digitally pre-ordered it, as well.

Fuchsdh

I hope we still have the space station pieces from Halo 4's forge. They were perfect for zombie maps.

Thus far it seems like the Forge palettes are the same across the maps--that concrete human stuff which looks great but seems a little less versatile in terms of aesthetics... can anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

Everyone is getting this game left and right.

Jealous!

My Microsoft Store order has been reading back-ordered for two weeks now. Called to cancel it and they said despite it not shipping it's not giving them the option to cancel. Le sigh. Going to go digital and probably have to return physical.

That's crap. Mark V was the only armor I used in H4 when it was finally given. They gave us dozens of pure shit armors at launch but no Mark V. How hard is it to make sure it's part of the game? I mean they unlocked their dlc FOTUS unicorn crap for everyone. Looks like I'm just sticking Mark VI then. I honestly don't plan to play much Halo 4 as it is, but still.

I agree, lack of DLC armors is disappointing. Especially when paired with the lack of mix & match

singhr1

Got some new info from Ars Technica's review (Split-screen and Multiplayer bugs):

Thus, we loaded four-player, split-screen combat in every engine in HTMCC, and we can report the following:The original Halos 1, 2, and 3 have come out unscathed, and their frame rates are pretty rock-solid. Halo 4, sadly, falters somewhat, depending on the chosen map, while Halo 2 Anniversary suffers from some serious split-screen slowdown and hitching. We figured Microsoft would put a bigger stress on online performance than local play, so we were relieved to see these games survive split-screen scrutiny for the most part—especially with a boost to 1080p resolution, which is crucial when dividing a screen four ways.

So some frame dips in Halo 4 and 2A but nothing major and not always. 1, 2, and 3 are good.

Local Multiplayer:
As of launch, the local multiplayer interfaces contain a few bugs, including a strange post-match default to an entirely different map and mode than the one you'd just played, and many matches ending with all players listed in "1th" place. More annoying than that is the inability to track multiplayer stats among local friends for the sake of an all-night Halo-thon, let alone the idea of weeks of tournaments between friends over beers. On the bright side, the game automatically records your every match to be watched later in the "theater" mode, no matter which version of Halo you're battling. If you're that obsessive about your performance, HTMCC has your narcissistic back; additionally, we loved how easy it was to hop from one Halo engine to another and set up (and save) incredibly specific rulesets for custom matches.

Also I wonder what forgers think about this:

However, this version doesn't ship with a "Forge Island" or any other semi-blank slate to start building on. Instead, it includes three completely blank skyboxes on which players can build structures. We're happy to get at least one empty skybox, but releasing three of them, and no other real Forge structures, seems lazy on Microsoft's part.

They conclude its a really great package although H2A doesn't look "next-gen" (I mean its using the original engine from 10 years ago..), More: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/halo-the-master-chief-collection-review-chief-concern/1/

So here are some Neighbor/Ghost 2v2's in Halo CE, On Host and Off Host. There is definitely a difference, seems like it's gonna play more like XBC does based on latency, not as extreme with the shot leading as XBC obviously, but Off Host CE in Customs is gonna have it's own learning curve. On Host looks ridiculous, especially since it was Split screen host, so it's absolute domination.

On-Host

Off-Host

the Off-Host looks like a great improvement over the PC port, the pre-aim is extremly small for the distance between Seattle and Virginia
on PC this would have been a 66-99 ping probably, while the pre-aim in the Off-Host looks like a 15 ping pre-aim (if that would exist)

now image this would have been matchmaking with a server directly between them, there barely would be any pre-aim at all

so overall great improvement, it also shows that the hitsound is still needed although it should be toned down in its volume

In other news sunset overdrive is a blurry, texture pop in riddled mess of a 30fps game.

Played it last night. The framerate is unbearable to me. Things pop in to existence just 20 feet away at times. The lack of good anti-aliasing makes the game look really blurry which the problem is intensified by the extreme motion blur.

nillapuddin

Also I wonder what forgers think about this:

uneducated opinion, imo

the prebuilt geometry often holds back maps more than helps them, it appears that they have put substantial resources into providing a full suite of terrain for the player to choose how to confine their creations. After seeing the items themselves, and how they blend together, I am very confident its better this way.

I am more comfortable with having a blank slate than working around a bunch of uneven floors and walls.

That said, inexperienced Forgers might be discouraged that they have to make all 6 sides of their map, but I cant really speak to that.

Is there a vid or archived stream of someone (who actually knows what they are doing) using fogrge to bild something?

not that Ive found, only the bilzo guy or whatever, his channel says he forges competitive maps, but he didnt attempt anything of merit last night

Madness

Five of the maps pass muster with barely a blip but, unfortunately Zanzibar/Stonetown isn't quite as solid as we would like. With just five players on the map we encountered dips into the 50s (and sometimes lower) any time we were facing the central area with the large turbine. The drop in performance wasn't severe, but similar to Halo 4 on Xbox One, the game feels quite jerky and unresponsive when it does occur. 

Forget split screen, just having single player mp with 5 people playing on Stonetown brought it down to the 50's and even low 40's. Imagine when you have full 8v8 going on.

Madness

Awww yisssss.

I knew it, I knew MS would ruin the cover with that bilingual shit. Guess I'm going to have to buy all my physical games from the US again. Damn Quebec.

It would have been tolerable if they didn't also add that "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, THE ENTIRE MASTER CHIEF SAGA ON ONE CONSOLE" and then translate to French too. Just curious, I know you're from the TO, what store gave it so early? Don't need to get specific to protect the store. I can only get my copy at 9pm Monday Night.

m23

I knew it, I knew MS would ruin the cover with that bilingual shit. Guess I'm going to have to buy all my physical games from the US again. Damn Quebec.

It would have been tolerable if they didn't also add that "FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, THE ENTIRE MASTER CHIEF SAGA ON ONE CONSOLE" and then translate to French too. Just curious, I know you're from the TO, what store gave it so early? Don't need to get specific to protect the store. I can only get my copy at 9pm Monday Night.

I'm just happy it doesn't have that damn day 1 edition thing on the cover. I'll PM the answer to your question though.

Top Bottom