• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

darthbob

I'm watching a MCC stream with some chick named Lucy Mae and it's the most infuriating thing ever. She spent the first 5 minutes asking if you can "aim" like call of duty, then saying "you can't go prone even!"

She just played against Major Nelson.

This is like a car wreck.

GRRRRRL Gamers!

FatMarshall

Neo Member
I'm watching a MCC stream with some chick named Lucy Mae and it's the most infuriating thing ever. She spent the first 5 minutes asking if you can "aim" like call of duty, then saying "you can't go prone even!"

Ugh.

She'll still probably end up having the most viewers too.

jGtnE.jpg

HTupolev

Just finished another ODST playthrough. God, what a good campaign.
I finished one yesterday. In some ways I think the level design through the midsection of the campaign could be tightened up, but it's a great game; good, elegant core gunplay and systems design, very interesting narrative approach, and all things considered, the game's various facets do a decent job of working together.

And Halo 3's graphics engine was a ridiculously good match for ODST's visual style.

Madness

Which is funny, because I remember her streaming Halo 4 two years ago before launch, and she'd say things on the stream like, Halo is much different gameplay than Call of Duty, you can't aim down sights, at least they added sprint etc. She a bigger Call of Duty player I think, Gears too.

Booshka

So here are some Neighbor/Ghost 2v2's in Halo CE, On Host and Off Host. There is definitely a difference, seems like it's gonna play more like XBC does based on latency, not as extreme with the shot leading as XBC obviously, but Off Host CE in Customs is gonna have it's own learning curve. On Host looks ridiculous, especially since it was Split screen host, so it's absolute domination.

On-Host

Off-Host

So here are some Neighbor/Ghost 2v2's in Halo CE, On Host and Off Host. There is definitely a difference, seems like it's gonna play more like XBC does based on latency, not as extreme with the shot leading as XBC obviously, but Off Host CE in Customs is gonna have it's own learning curve. On Host looks ridiculous, especially since it was Split screen host, so it's absolute domination.

On-Host

Off-Host

Very pleased with this. Good stuff thanks for sharing.

CliQ

Here is a clue to the move and how amazing it is when you see it. It is a very skillful move which gives huge advantages at the right time.

I showed off the Cowboy on my stream. Anyone lucky enough to see it now has a new move to add to their arsenal in Halo: CE. See you on the battlefield!

CliQ

On-Host

Off-Host

Honestly this is pretty disappointing but not the end of the world. While I would have liked better network gameplay in customs, i'll take what I can get. Hopefully matchmaking isn't like everyone is off-host. Off-host is more of an annoyance than anything else. Seeing as though I played on XBC a lot I won't have a problem but still it is 2014 and you would think they would figure out a way to make the code work a little better on Live.

FyreWulff

On-Host

Off-Host

hmm

Honestly this is pretty disappointing but not the end of the world. While I would have liked better network gameplay in customs, i'll take what I can get. Hopefully matchmaking isn't like everyone is off-host. Off-host is more of an annoyance than anything else. Seeing as though I played on XBC a lot I won't have a problem but still it is 2014 and you would think they would figure out a way to make the code work a little better on Live.

Back when Halo 1 was being ported to the PC, Gearbox wanted it to require broadband to play. Microsoft wanted it to be playable on dialup (keep in mind, this is after they've released the broadband-only Xbox Live for Xbox). Gearbox had to redo the netcode late in development to even get the game to work on dialup.

A budget release years later, you get a version of Halo 1 intended to run on dialup in 2014.

If you want modern networking and the Halo 1 sandbox, you're better off porting the entire game to a newer Halo engine.

Booshka

hmm

Back when Halo 1 was being ported to the PC, Gearbox wanted it to require broadband to play. Microsoft wanted it to be playable on dialup (keep in mind, this is after they've released the broadband-only Xbox Live for Xbox). Gearbox had to redo the netcode late in development to even get the game to work on dialup.

A budget release years later, you get a version of Halo 1 intended to run on dialup in 2014.

If you want modern networking and the Halo 1 sandbox, you're better off porting the entire game to a newer Halo engine.
Which is what I was expecting out of Halo CEA on Xbox 360, and now on MCC. Still no luck, it's still not totally overhauled it seems. I'm gonna hold out hope for Matchmaking, and it being optimised, but I don't expect there will be a whole lot of demand for it. Practically every other game in this package is going to have a bigger community with wants and needs.

Makes me bummed that CEA on 360 was such a shitty product, instead of the dream product I was hoping it would be. Now CE on MCC is stuck with a bunch of other Halo games that will take precedent over it, once again.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
I feel mildly rused having just realised I can't wear Mark V in halo 4 anymore.

But if that's my only grievance with the game, and I don't plan to play very much halo 4 at all anyway, then I guess i've gotten off pretty easy.

FyreWulff

Tombstone - possibly v1. The Halo 1 pistol easter egg appears to be the v1 version. Not sure if the rest of the map has the invisible walls everywhere. Someone should confirm later.

Desolation - missing some bloom effects from Xbox, but H2 PC was missing those already, so not unexpected. Don't know if the infinite vehicle clone glitch still works.

District - it's still District, still reflects Turf

Uplift - still has the Needler ammo pods on it.

It might be that the percentages didn't contain an even amount of data but were based on something else. I'm not sure.

Because you said about a day of downloading... That's a lot of data. Do you know approximately how much data you downloaded while it was at 100% ?

Madness

DLC armor just isn't included for whatever reason.

That's crap. Mark V was the only armor I used in H4 when it was finally given. They gave us dozens of pure shit armors at launch but no Mark V. How hard is it to make sure it's part of the game? I mean they unlocked their dlc FOTUS unicorn crap for everyone. Looks like I'm just sticking Mark VI then. I honestly don't plan to play much Halo 4 as it is, but still.

Captain Friendo

Neo Member
That's crap. Mark V was the only armor I used in H4 when it was finally given. They gave us dozens of pure shit armors at launch but no Mark V. How hard is it to make sure it's part of the game? I mean they unlocked their dlc FOTUS unicorn crap for everyone. Looks like I'm just sticking Mark VI then. I honestly don't plan to play much Halo 4 as it is, but still.
I'm in the same boat as you my friend.

JonCha

I know HaloGAF loves salt, but can we hold off on it until we actually see the gameplay.

I mean getting salty about a translated rumour from an Italian site which contains information which has been confirmed as false is a bit silly when we're getting actual gameplay in 3 days.

Was it actually debunked? I though Bish verified it or has something come to light since then?

If the leak is true, this here:

... Is probably one of the best things since that ever happened to Halo multiplayer. A true competetive and team-work focused mode.
How are Capture The Flag and Team Slayer not competitive? They are more team play in CTF and TS than in a hardcore CoD game type like that.

One thing I never liked about Halo 1 and Halo 2 is, that names of enemies are appearing in Blue. Should be red, so it's easier to tell. But that's not really a big issue.

Can't open the link on for some reason. Is it looking good?
Framerate dips in both, Anniversary Campaign and Anniversary. It drops to high forties in the Scarab sequence on New Mombasa. (The part when you are going to destroy that thing on foot)

Random17

One thing I never liked about Halo 1 and Halo 2 is, that names of enemies are appearing in Blue. Should be red, so it's easier to tell. But that's not really a big issue.

"Halo 2 Anniversary: the Digital Foundry verdict

As the crown jewel in The Master Chief Collection, Halo 2 Anniversary delivers an expertly remastered experience for the new generation. The updated campaign is beautifully realised and feels closer to the source material than Saber's original attempt at remastering Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2011. The inclusion of the original classic mode remains an interesting treat for those interested in seeing the original visuals again, but we can't help but wonder if the image quality for the remastered campaign hasn't suffered a bit as a result of its inclusion. The new CG sequences are also a treat for fans of the game and demonstrate just how much further the Halo aesthetic could be pushed in the future."

Yes. Main negative for me personally are the loading screens.

MouldyK

Main points of interest:

One of the key features of The Master Chief Collection is its promised frame-rate - a full 60 frames per second across all four games. Replaying each of these games at 60fps has been a treat and thankfully, Halo 2 Anniversary manages to mostly deliver on this promise across all three engines. Not surprisingly, the campaign and multiplayer modes both handle slowdown completely differently though. Single-player has the odd torn frame manifesting at the very top of the screen, along with some dropped frames, but it's clear that lowering the resolution was the right move in the campaign as the end results are quite smooth. The same is true of the classic campaign, which manages to hold 60fps for the vast majority of the time. Surprisingly there are a few instances in which slowdown rears its head even in classic mode, leading us to once again conclude that utilising two renderers simultaneously is putting quite a strain on the system.

However, the updated multiplayer does not suffer from any screen-tear and instead uses a pure v-sync setup, in common with the Halo 4 conversion where the core tech hails from. Matchmaking wasn't enabled at the time of testing so we were limited to a smaller multiplayer match comprised of five players across all six of the new maps. Throughout the run of play the game does an exceptional job of maintaining a rock solid 60fps most of the time. Five of the maps pass muster with barely a blip but, unfortunately Zanzibar/Stonetown isn't quite as solid as we would like. With just five players on the map we encountered dips into the 50s (and sometimes lower) any time we were facing the central area with the large turbine. The drop in performance wasn't severe, but similar to Halo 4 on Xbox One, the game feels quite jerky and unresponsive when it does occur. Ultimately, while it's always disappointing to run across any frame-rate dips in a game, especially in multiplayer, the results are still very solid overall and it's safe to say that most users won't notice these issues. We're curious to see how Stonetown holds up with more players and we should have some additional information on that next week.

Ending Comments:

As the crown jewel in The Master Chief Collection, Halo 2 Anniversary delivers an expertly remastered experience for the new generation. The updated campaign is beautifully realised and feels closer to the source material than Saber's original attempt at remastering Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2011. The inclusion of the original classic mode remains an interesting treat for those interested in seeing the original visuals again, but we can't help but wonder if the image quality for the remastered campaign hasn't suffered a bit as a result of its inclusion. The new CG sequences are also a treat for fans of the game and demonstrate just how much further the Halo aesthetic could be pushed in the future.

The updated multiplayer maps are also exciting and rekindled a lot of nostalgia while playing through them. The visual overhaul is impressive and interesting though it does make it difficult to return to some of the classic Halo 2 maps after experiencing the new visuals. Despite the variation in assets between the campaign and multiplayer, the game still feels very much like Halo 2, which is ultimately what's most important here: this is the Bungie classic updated for a new generation - and it works brilliantly.

With Halo 2 having received far and away the most development effort can the rest of the package stand up to its quality? We've already presented some initial findings, but it's safe to say that there's still a lot more to cover. We'll have more information on how the other Halo games in The Master Chief Collection stack up next week when the game finally launches.

Random17

Of course they are competive but not as competive as round based, no respawn game modes.

I've always loved Search and Destroy in Call of Duty; an implementation in Halo without radar would be really interesting... if they are going to take stuff from COD/Counter Strike/whatever might as well be a new gametype as opposed to the gameplay design...

Top Bottom