• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Where's your obnoxious watermark???

eb2697f3e589432164835f16ff1a57c0.jpg

Do we have any sense of the population numbers for MCC? I have a hunch it's low, and in that case I don't really blame 343 for not emphasizing team matchmaking.

That's what you get for playing alone, I guess. Search times would probably be too high, if it had this feature. But then again, they can't be higher than pre-patch. lol

I think that may be overstating the paucity of the population. MCC has had an atrocious first six months but:

1) It's a legacy game so those hardcore Halo nuts will still be retained in fairly large numbers

2) It's being bundled with new Xbox One's

3) It's still in its first year and is the 'current' and only Halo on Xbox One.

I remember watching pro's streaming Halo 3 MLG in teams of four for all of 2014 leading up to MCC's release finding matches in minutes. That was a then seven year old game on a last gen console. Not having team matching on will only diminish the population in the long term; players that climb up the ranks will be even more reluctant than they were in previous ranked Halo games to enter the lists without a team. It's especially harmful when these lists serve as the only guaranteed way to play one's Halo of choice. Also Bravo said they were working on it in April

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-12%20at%2022.46.41_zpschqksgm7.png

but hasn't mentioned it since. If it's by design it'd be helpful if they said that.

FyreWulff

Team matching is really important. Halo Wars still has a damn good population for an old game + console RTS, and you can be sure this is due the fact that it's only party vs party for team games.

it's called 343's aids art direction
fucking terrible
Yep

ADS art direction
Rekt
They're fuggin ugly is what they are. Obviously 343 isn't intentionally trying to botch them, but it's hard to believe they think they look better... Go back to the drawing board, please. At least the new Elites look cool sometimes.
Are you sure this isn't intentional. I mean they shrugged off all of the art criticism and balked at the people that dislike it.

I have been trying to refrain in nit picking...

But...

Those grunts are the stupidest looking enemies in a modern game I have seen in a long time. I would rather them all be Slippy from Star Fox:

latest

I would love a 40 minute documentary on why the covenant are all dinosaurs now.
"Playtesting showed that making the enemies more monstrous and harder to empathise with allowed people to ignore the reality that the Master Chief, the player, is a walking genocidal machine."

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
We felt that bungoe's designs were outdated.
Change for the sake of change.
There's stuff I like about their art direction, and stuff I don't. No need to act like a petulant child about it.
zgDOyEv.gif

"Playtesting showed that making the enemies more monstrous and harder to empathise with allowed people to ignore the reality that the Master Chief, the player, is a walking genocidal machine."
I could accept that if I already didn't mind shooting space bugs, space squids and space roosters already.
does it count if it's text-based
No.
I could record 40 minutes of me talking about how awesome dinosaurs are.
Depends if you're profeather.

-Ryn

Banned
I think the lead artist must've been watching Dinasoaurs in Space while on a psychedelic trip

That's basically space combat in Battlefront II, though you still had to get in a ship to board.
Hear that everybody!? My ideas are on par with Battlefront!

I know lol

There would need to be some things to differentiate it from Battlefront like the FTL bit I mentioned. I only played Battlefront a couple times at my buds house back in the day. I remember space battles but nothing about stealing a core or destroying the ship. Most of my playtime was spent on Hoth though so go figure.

Kssio_Aug

Kizingo Boulevard almost made me hate Halo ODST. God damn, so many vehicles to destroy, brutes with grenade launchers, and those assault gun carriages... it was giving on my nerves with the relatively lack of ammo and health compared to Halo 3.

Blueblur1

Revives in an MP mode like Breakout would be sweet. It makes Destiny elimination matches challenging and rewarding so seeing it on Halo would be nice.

Nowise10

Kizingo Boulevard almost made me hate Halo ODST. God damn, so many vehicles to destroy, brutes with grenade launchers, and those assault gun carriages... it was giving on my nerves with the relatively lack of ammo and health compared to Halo 3.

You have a Scorpion Tank for practically the entire mission tho. Its a walk in the park

Invert

Neo Member
Hi guys! I'm new to GAF, so please take it easy on me (I have lurked for a few years, though).
There would need to be some things to differentiate it from Battlefront like the FTL bit I mentioned. I only played Battlefront a couple times at my buds house back in the day. I remember space battles but nothing about stealing a core or destroying the ship. Most of my playtime was spent on Hoth though so go figure.

I think it would be really cool to see them expand the model. Rather than strictly space combat, maybe unify ground, and space combat. Have Pelicans and Dropships deliver spartans to the ground, or via ODST drop pods. If you can weaken the opposing ships shields enough you can take those Pelicans/Dropships right into the enemy hangar and fight to the bridge. Inversely, ground troops fight over positions that provide bonuses to their teams, such as fighting for control over a guardian that can damage the opposing ship.

CliQ

Revived in breakout would make it fun.

Trials of Osiris is better for it. There's already a res mechanic in the game

At first I thought it would be great too but it's only good if you are the last one alive. I could see people abusing it and just sprint around reviving and all that nonsense. Would really be annoying one v one.

The point of breakdown is elimination. Adding that type of meta could really make it frustrating.

I did love Battlefront's Boarding Action. Was some good times. Would not be opposed to it coming Halo's way.

I don't think that's what we're going to see Monday, though.

Tawpgun

At first I thought it would be great too but it's only good if you are the last one alive. I could see people abusing it and just sprint around reviving and all that nonsense. Would really be annoying one v one.

The point of breakdown is elimination. Adding that type of meta could really make it frustrating.
You cleary haven't played trials of Osiris.

It adds a layer of complexity, an opportunity for big plays and strats

Could be interesting if:
  • 5 sec timer then dead
  • 2.5 secs to revive
  • Each player can only be revived once
Something like that.
Feather neutral.

I do think this is hilarious, tho:

1431617118335946.jpg
lmfao

Ramirez

You put cool downs on the revive, make it a risk/reward scenario.

Breakout was awful in the beta, and I really can't see it being successful without some major overhauls. Which didnt sound like were happening the last time someone asked about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom