• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

What do people think of Slayer Pro??

As in whats wrong with it etc?

The pop. of Infinity Slayer vs Slayer Pro really shows that alot of people are okay with the new changes for the most part.

IHaveIce

Banned
The posts are getting made. And i agree with alot of them.

Im talking about the posts lik "Halo is dead" etc. They do nothing. The internet is ablaze with people complaining, obviously can see what we think needs to be fixed.

But the way people are complaining is ridiculous. Look at the likes of Ghaleon and other people who are complaining but doing it in a constructive way. Thats how you get things done.

Straight up saying "This is bad" doesnt help. Explain whats wrong and maybe suggest some solutions. Keeping it civil and respectful is the way to get it done.

Oh yes of course oneliners like "RIP Halo" and "Halo is dead" don't help you are right.

But when I look at people who do such oneliners I understand SOME of them, not all (many do it just as fun or I don't know) but for example Kylej, he wrote before release some posts who exactly predicted what will happen in MM if it will be like this, but people said "oh pls first play it" and didn't take it seriously .. If I was Kylej I would also be pretty pissed and just do this stuff for now.

Of course people should explain their complaints, and who just shits on the game all the time and can't do a good write up what is wrong, should like you said think about trading the game in.

orznge

Banned
Lamonster looks to be just like Daedalius- all they do is complain about complainers. When presented with a long list of reasons why things in H4 are bad, they respond with "You can't handle change" "customization iz gud" "Just move on if you don't like it"

I'm going to take a page from your own book here. Give me detailed reasons why the multitude of problems that have been listed with 4 are actually good things.

• Global Ordinance Drops create more dynamic gameplay where there are a variety of "power positions" on the maps, no longer do players have to sit on some boring weapon spawn for half of a game
  • flinching helps me finish off people that I get the jump on because their control is directly effected by my hitting them instead of just their zoom status
  • jetpack made a comeback because it creates more paths through the map and more sight lines therefore creating more gameplay
  • join in progress makes sure that I always have a full game unlike in the quitter-ridden Halo games of yesteryear
  • loadouts let me grab a plasma pistol whenever I want so I stop getting frustrated by that guy in the invincible warthog who taped his right stick off to the side and is sending me mean messages while he does donuts outside my base
  • Promethean Vision let's us all get a lil taste of our hacker curiosity, I can't be the only one that got excited to finally get to try a wallhack but in a legit way ;-)

Akai__

certain affinity sucks so damn hard. how they continue to leach off Halo is beyond me. That is exactly the type of editor Halo 4 should have had. Instead we have grey blocks again. Awful.

A color palette would have been a good start, but like you say, why they didn't make a single improvement, besides magnets and dynamic shadows, is beyond me, too.

The fact, that we have just a couple decent "small" maps, doesn't make it better. I really hope, that the next DLC is going to be worth it, because I'm sick of playing Haven again and again in MM, which is by far the best map.

daedalius

Lamonster looks to be just like Daedalius- all they do is complain about complainers. When presented with a long list of reasons why things in H4 are bad, they respond with "You can't handle change" "customization iz gud" "Just move on if you don't like it"

I'm going to take a page from your own book here. Give me detailed reasons why the multitude of problems that have been listed with 4 are actually good things.

You got me, that's totally why I complain about people complaining. Not because I'd rather have substantive discussion than RIP HALO, because I love to complain about complaining about complaining.

Give you a detailed description of why things posted that are bad are good? Ever think I may agree with them, and have posted my own criticisms? I don't post RIP HALO.

Also, the amount of fucks I give about you or your opinion = 0

Redford

aka Cabbie
The posts are getting made. And i agree with alot of them.

Im talking about the posts lik "Halo is dead" etc. They do nothing. The internet is ablaze with people complaining, obviously can see what we think needs to be fixed.

But the way people are complaining is ridiculous. Look at the likes of Ghaleon and other people who are complaining but doing it in a constructive way. Thats how you get things done.

Straight up saying "This is bad" doesnt help. Explain whats wrong and maybe suggest some solutions. Keeping it civil and respectful is the way to get it done.

I don't think there is a single poster that fits your definition of bad still around that didn't make those good kinds of posts in the past. It's alot to expect of people who just want to participate frequently to write Kaijima-length analysis every time, unless you want people being disingenuous.

Admittedly the pace and posting style of this thread would be more suited to an IRC if there isn't already a secret one.

orznge

Banned
See this is the type of shit im talking about. Add nothing to the discussion, thats great.

Fantastic way to get your opinion taken seriously. Stay clowing yourself.

every time I have wrote something even close to an effortpost I have been quoted and replied to with things like "lol disagree didn't read" by the Game Developers' Design Intent Echo Chamber Crew and futhermore look at how many people have made concise, thoughtful posts in the last dozen Halo OTs and have been met with a bunch of platitude buzzword jokeposts

I don't think there is a single poster that fits your definition of bad still around that didn't make those good kinds of posts in the past. It's alot to expect of people who just want to participate frequently to write Kaijima-length analysis every time, unless you want people being disingenuous.

Admittedly the pace and posting style of this thread would be more suited to an IRC if there isn't already a secret one.

I dont think people need to write walls of text to actually discuss this game though. Again im drecting more towards the people saying the same one liners over and over. There are people in here discussing the game and what can be done to fix them.

Id recommend just ignoring the people adding nothing and engage with the people actually discussing shit.

Caja 117

This thread is getting tiresome. I mean yeah the game has its problems, but this is just devolving into "Halo is dead" "RIP Halo".

Honestly if you dont like the game do what some other members are doing and trade it in and move onto something else. Its a shitty thing to happen but staying in here complaining about the same shit over and over is becoming redundant.

Im sure 343 hear the communities problems and are going to try to address them, but the games only out 2 weeks. Have some patience.

And maybe less
of the dramatics would be nice.

This is the worst stance people should take, the "if you dont like it dont play it" response , i mean how much Halo can take from this logic? This game only has 2 week since release and the online population have droped to laughable numbers, 343 tried to beat CoD in their own game and look what happened.

And all 343 apologists can say is move on, you wont be missed. By the time halo 5 gets released there isnt going to be players around.

The worst that this game has going on right now is stuff that where stable and a given in previous halo, things like servers, x on death, file share search, stable and clean UI, an stable webpage, etc.

You got me, that's totally why I complain about people complaining. Not because I'd rather have substantive discussion than RIP HALO, because I love to complain about complaining about complaining.

Give you a detailed description of why things posted that are bad are good? Ever think I may agree with them, and have posted my own criticisms? I don't post RIP HALO.
You seem to have a radar as to when people are complaining, because you just pop in, ask for constructive criticism and complain about complainers, and then leave. I've never seen you post anything substantive one way or the other. Your claim that you want "substantive discussion" isn't helped when people contribute to discussion, and receive the same response as they do with RIP Halo. Why bother in that case?
Also, the amount of fucks I give about you or your opinion = 0

Mutually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thing is I love the Halo franchise and for what it stood and I know this game could be really good with tweaks, but saying " hey the game isn't sooo good, but hey I trust 343 without doing complaints and maybe ranting" doesn't do a thing, posts like the ones from Over should be a Review which should get to every 343 member.

We were told to trust 343 and that we would get finally Halo back, but instead we got a Halo that is buried and hidden behind some crap that will likely not be removed.
There's no problem with criticism.

Halo 4 isn't perfect. But the same posts rehashed 50x over that begin to stray from the constructive element of criticism make for shit discourse. It's quite easy to distinguish the good posts from the flood of filler in here, the only problem is there's so much filler. It's reminding me a lot of why I stopped posting in the original Reach OTs, because any semblance of constructive of purposeful discussion disappeared at some point.

kylej

Banned
ok bought streaming stuff and a webcam they'll be here Friday. I'm not closing on my house until the 30th due to a slight seller's delay so for an entire week you guys will get to literally watch me play video games in my mother's basement. should be good times.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I dont think people need to write walls of text to actually discuss this game though. Again im drecting more towards the people saying the same one liners over and over. There are people in here discussing the game and what can be done to fix them.

Id recommend just ignoring the people adding nothing and engage with the people actually discussing shit.

Yeah but you have to appreciate the fact that there are invested members of this community (not me), this isn't really a drop-in drop-out thread like the gaming side OTs. The game made some people burn out in as little as 2 weeks which, while depressingly fast, is also a short amount of time to expect people to completely disengage from their game or friends in here, especially when 343 is pulling at their heartstrings with vague promises of TU's. I think telling them to fuck off when they've been here much longer than you is misunderstanding the purpose of community threads.

Again, if this were rampant on Gaming side I'd agree with you maybe.

This is the worst stance people should take, the "if you dont like it dont play it" response , i mean how much Halo can take from this logic? This game only has 2 week since release and the online population have droped to laughable numbers, 343 tried to beat CoD in their own game and look what happened.

And all 343 apologists can say is move on, you wont be missed. By the time halo 5 gets released there isnt going to be players around.

The worst that this game has going on right now is stuff that where stable and a given in previous halo, things like servers, x on death, file share search, stable and clean UI, an stable webpage, etc.

Laughable numbers? I have no problem finding a game in any playlist so yeah i wouldnt consider the numbers laughable.

Its the correct stance. If your really not enjoying the game why play it? Why sit here bitching the whole fucking time? Adds nothing to your life, you may aswell play something else that you enjoy. Some people really arent enjoying this game, and thats a perfectly fine and valid opinion to have.

If i wasnt enjoying it i wouldnt be playing it, it really is as simple as that.

daedalius

You seem to have a radar as to when people are complaining, because you just pop in, ask for constructive criticism and complain about complainers, and then leave. I've never seen you post anything substantive one way or the other. Your claim that you want "substantive discussion" isn't helped when people contribute to discussion, and receive the same response as they do with RIP Halo. Why bother in that case?

Nope, sure wasn't posting about the issue with the DMR being the best rifle, or the fact I don't particularly like the ordnance system just... yesterday.

I think those posts were engaged by at least 1 other person before we got back to RIP HALO.

RIP HALO.

Yeah but you have to appreciate the fact that there are invested members of this community, this isn't really a drop-in drop-out thread like the gaming side OTs. The game made some people burn out in as little as 2 weeks which, while depressingly fast, is also a short amount of time to expect people to completely disengage, especially when 343 is pulling at their heartstrings with vague promises of TU's. I think telling them to fuck off when they've been here much longer than you is misunderstanding the purpose of community threads.

Im in no way talking about the people who add to the discussion. I dont post in here too often, been lurking since around the Reach launch so i have a fair idea of who has actually posted constructive points and who posts dog shit.

Im saying that the constant one liners and pointless posts are fucking up the thread. There does be some great posts mixed in from alot of different people.

I think you have the people im talking about confused with some of the regulars who are known to make good posts. And that's simply not the point im making. Go read over the last couple pages to see what im referring to. The silly "Halo is dead" posts are the ones I view as pointless.

Complaining is fine, thats how the game will get fixed. But theres a right way to do that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
re' SpOps and reused areas... isnt the reason we arent truly seeing new environments is because SpOps isnt truly DLC, in that these environments shipped on the disc and the DLC part is only the set up? seems unrealistic to hope for truly new environments unless they have held some back from the first 3 episodes that are still on the disc, or we get a hefty download of DLC.

probably late to this idea. oh well.

orznge

Banned
Complaining is fine, thats how the game will get fixed. But theres a right way to do that.

On the off chance that there is even a single aspect of the game that you don't like, maybe you could lead by example and show us how to write a complaint that produces tangible results. Some of us have tried writing constructively in the past but I would wager that we were not good enough at it given that no complaint has made a difference. Since none of our constructive writing works, presumably because we're dumb, we just post jokes now.

re' SpOps and reused areas... isnt the reason we arent truly seeing new environments is because SpOps isnt truly DLC, in that these environments shipped on the disc and the DLC part is only the set up? seems unrealistic to hope for truly new environments unless they have held some back from the first 3 episodes that are still on the disc, or we get a hefty download of DLC.

probably late to this idea. oh well.

Season 1 is on the disk, so yeah you installed MP and SpOps from disk 2. I am really concerned about Sp Ops Season 2 would be multilingual because my Sp Ops (and my entire game) is on Latinamerican spanish only

Redford

aka Cabbie
Im in no way talking about the people who add to the discussion. I dont post in here too often, been lurking since around the Reach launch so i have a fair idea of who has actually posted constructive points and who posts dog shit.

Im saying that the constant one liners and pointless posts are fucking up the thread. There does be some great posts mixed in from alot of different people.

I think you have the people im talking about confused with some of the regulars who are known to make good posts. And that's simply not the point im making. Go read over the last couple pages to see what im referring to. The silly "Halo is dead" posts are the ones I view as pointless.

stock-footage-steam-escaping-from-vent-in-cheonggyecheon-seoul-south-korea.jpg

Just let them do it.

they removed bloom from reach didn't they?

I'd say it's easier to correct the mistakes of others, and less so to mess around with what your own team has created. Especially if there was some sort of executive mandate.

343's PR is definitely glossing over the issues for now, as evidenced by that obnoxiously long and unnecessary Bulletin on Waypoint tracking.

On the off chance that there is even a single aspect of the game that you don't like, maybe you could lead by example and show us how to write a complaint that produces tangible results. Some of us have tried writing constructively in the past but I would wager that we were not good enough at it given that no complaint has made a difference. Since none of our constructive writing works, presumably because we're dumb, we just post jokes now.

they removed bloom from reach didn't they?

Tawpgun

ok bought streaming stuff and a webcam they'll be here Friday. I'm not closing on my house until the 30th due to a slight seller's delay so for an entire week you guys will get to literally watch me play video games in my mother's basement. should be good times.

Yesss perfect thing to keep me occupied until I get back to the Xbox in Bosstown

Fuchsdh

I just read on HBO that someone was denied XP for accomplishing the weekly challenge after having hit the XP limit. Credits earned from commendation milestones are also stifled by the XP cap.

This game was designed by morons.
Maybe it's their way of telling you to go outside and stop playing so much.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
In your opinion.

Not going to dispute that the game has some glaring issues (which have been pointed out in great detail on numerous.....numerous occasions especially as of late) that hopefully will be addressed in the coming months. However, plenty of people, including a long time Halo fan such as myself, are still enjoying the hell out of it for many legitimate reasons. I understand the level of frustration that many have experienced but at it's core it's still Halo and from a gameplay standpoint it's infinitely better, even in it's current form, than Reach will ever be.

And if MLG Dallas is any indication, Halo is hardly dead and will thrive competitively within the pro circuit for a long time to come. Hell I had more fun watching out of the box Halo 4 at their last event than I ever did Reach.

So I'm sorry that you and others have had some less than satisfactory experiences with the game (yeah I know....."that's an understatement rofl") but please understand that a significant portion of the community, both casual and competitive alike, don't necessarily share the same views when it pertains to what Halo was, is now or should be in the months/years to come. And we really don't appreciate being disparaged as a result of that fact.

note: That last part is not really aimed at you specifically, just making a general statement about the current dialogue existing within this thread.

It's not really an opinion. Instant respawns were always an option, and obviously never used in MLG for good reason. It's pretty bad for slayer, it's impossible to play on that level for oddball with instant respawn. Unless that option is changed, I doubt it'll have a good run or a serious run at all.

MLG Dallas isn't any indication, no one knew at the time what the game was like and it was 2 days before it came out, everyone wanted to see it.

Again missing my point. Its a minority thats taking a shit in this thread.

Theres already been some great posts made with complaints about valid problems and with solutions too. If you really need me to show you these posts well then you clearly need to actually read the posts, because there are some great ones here.

People have mentioned the basic stuff like Xs where teammates have died or the Playlist management.

These things can be fixed, and probably will thanks to some of the members here giving valid opinions and solutions.

But you keep posting shit about how i see the entire community as dumb and incapable of writing posts yo. Thats cool with me.

Lothars

Your insane, Halo 4 is not a perfect game but I really like what they did with Halo and think it's absolutely a worthy successor to Halo 3 and reach but I also didn't agree with alot of complaints regarding Reach especially in regards to Armor Lock.

I agree with the enter the chamber that complaints are fine but some of the complaints have been really crazy and not really valid.

Wrong. I asked for you to take an aspect of the game that you dislike and write a constructive complaint about it as per your criteria so we could use it as a template.

As per my criteria to use as a template? Oh because im saying im better at doing it than everyone else in here right? Now your making it out that im taking a holier than thou approach to this.

Im throwing this clown on ignore. But you keep trolling son.

orznge

Banned
I'm throwing these Halo Trolls on my ignore list *busts through a wall* time to get rowdy and talk about The Fun Shit, booyah!

You can act like you don't agree but you're the one who posted that generality; why would your starting weapon preference override The Law Of Variety? Who do you think you are? Why are you so entitled?
I honestly cant tell which of your sentences are sarcastic, especially because I agree with that bullet point list you made after this post...

I'll totally elaborate on anything I've previously posted here, but let's create a no more sarcasm clause going forward.

IHaveIce

Banned
Your insane, Halo 4 is not a perfect game but I really like what they did with Halo and think it's absolutely a worthy successor to Halo 3 and reach but I also didn't agree with alot of complaints regarding Reach especially in regards to Armor Lock.

I agree with the enter the chamber that complaints are fine but some of the complaints have been really crazy and not really valid.

They are not valid? What? Opninios man.

Most of the complaints that I read were about bringing Halo 4 back to classic Halo playstyle .. how is that not valid..

So I refuse to play this game alone anymore. I tried last night and lost every single game, incredibly frustrating. And complex and abandon are horrible maps, possibly worse than Reach maps. I didn't think such a thing was even possible.

Ramirez

The tears over the Boltshot are just mind boggling to me. Perfect counter to people who want to try and sprint+melee you or double melee you, what's not to love? Quit getting up on people if you know they're using it. Simple concept...

I've been killed by it 74 times out of 3500 deaths or so, total non issue, reevaluate your strats instead of crying for nerfs.

Also, I'm highly suspicious of the explosive perk, I don't think it nerfs the grenades at all, some people's nades absolutely destroy me, while I can hit shieldless opponents with 2 and watch them live, has to be something going on there.

Havok

What do people think of Slayer Pro??

As in whats wrong with it etc?

The pop. of Infinity Slayer vs Slayer Pro really shows that alot of people are okay with the new changes for the most part.
The same argument could be made, and was made, regarding vanilla Reach vs. TU Reach. Vanilla always had a dramatically higher population (the Team Slayer/Super Slayer split was usually like 9k vs. 900 at peak hours by the end), and some of that is likely because of naming, placement in the listing, and relatively small things that people dislike in the alternative playlists, dissuading them from leaving the ever-populated comfort zone. Infinity Slayer is at the top of the list, it is named after the entire multiplayer suite which gives it immediate brand recognition, and it is generally a much easier playlist to do well in because it isn't populated by almost exclusively hardcore Halo players like TS Pro is. Then you have stuff like radar, which the vast majority of Halo players are used to and popping into TS Pro and not having it could be a bit of a turnoff. With Reach's vanilla TS and now Infinity, I'd wager that you could make some significant changes to core elements (previously reducing bloom, in 4 moving away from Global Ordnance, toning down Personal Ordnance, etc) and a significant portion of IS's playerbase wouldn't even notice because it ostensibly consists of people who don't necessarily take Halo as seriously as other communities.

I'm not saying the majority-rules sentiment is false or anything, just that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what tradeoff people are making and how the in-game marketing of the playlists affects those numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if TS Pro went the way of the dodo because of its population, we'll have to see if it recovers after SWAT and Snipers aren't around. Those two additions really chomped into its playerbase hard.

The tears over the Boltshot are just mind boggling to me. Perfect counter to people who want to try and sprint+melee you or double melee you, what's not to love? Quit getting up on people if you know they're using it. Simple concept...
Most the complaints I saw were people talking about those using it and camo at the same time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I've been killed by it 74 times out of 3500 deaths or so, total non issue, reevaluate your strats instead of crying for nerfs.

Also, I'm highly suspicious of the explosive perk, I don't think it nerfs the grenades at all, some people's nades absolutely destroy me, while I can hit shieldless opponents with 2 and watch them live, has to be something going on there.
An issue your not accounting for is how much more effective it is for about 70% of the range of the three automatic primary starters, and you get it as a secondary. It's instant death from Energy Sword (a power weapon) lunge range and you spawn with it.

So I refuse to play this game alone anymore. I tried last night and lost every single game, incredibly frustrating. And complex and abandon are horrible maps, possibly worse than Reach maps. I didn't think such a thing was even possible.
I enjoy Abandon as much as I do Haven in Pro Slayer.

Switching topics, one potential reason for Pro Slayer's small population is probably due to the name. No radar, AA's or personal ordnance does not make the playlist pro and having it labeled as such is probably a pretty big deterrent for anyone but the most enthusiastic halo fans. It should have been called Naked Slayer. I think that would do the trick!

I've noticed the same issue. Think Bobs has said something about it in the past as well.

Which would fall under reevaluate your strategy. Not that it isn't lame, but no one is going to dominate you pulling those tactics unless you allow it.
Eh... I don't want to speak for people, because I personally haven't encountered it, but it's hard to look at that (and Bravo's video) and not see how that would feel like an exceptionally cheap, unearned kill.

So perhaps they aren't getting dominated, but very frustrated by that?

Top Bottom