• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Nebula

Question from the Monolith video:

IGN: What's your favorite [gametype] to play along with?
Kynan Pearson: Um, I do enjoy Infinity Slayer on it. Just because it's more of a classic Halo feel, and it's just a good, competitive 4v4 map.

Well, then.

Honestly this is annoying me. Who on Earth is working at 343 and what Halo game did they play? Cause it's obviously not the one from this Universe.

ElRenoRaven

Admittedly, the proof will be when I actually grab the controller...

but does anyone else think the DualShock 4 controller is even less comfortable looking than previous incarnations? Your path to the PS home button is obstructed by the analog sticks, the share button is way off to the left (admittedly, I imagine you won't use this button a hell of a lot, but it still seems odd to place it so far from everything yet close to the touchscreen.)

The contours of the underside seem like a dead ringer for the XB360 controller, but up top it's still the bizarre "make everything symmetrical" thing as always.

Actually it looks more comfortable to me. Still won't compare to the 360 controller but still an improvement.

The built in capture/streaming setup is one of my favorite things from today. Being able to take control of someone's SP game to help them out is awesome, too.

Very, very impressed from Sony. Looks like they nailed the power/features but also made a platform that's easy to develop for, which was the main thing holding back the PS3.

Yup. That stuff is huge for guys that love to stream their games like some of Halogaf does.

Built in spectator mode and livestreaming?

Powerful console..

Someones been reading my posts.

Yup. Just wasn't Microsoft.

Actually I just checked. I'd get $20... Not to bad actually. I'll sell Halo 4, and buy myself a nice arcade game and the Black Ops 2 DLC if there's no DMR nerf.

Yup. I actually got more at Gamestop the other day due to a promotion they were running. So I got $30 bucks for Halo 4 instead of the 20 I would have without the promotion. Then I got $10.50 for Halo Wars, 9 bucks for Iron Man 2, and 3 bucks for Iron Man. lol

I was actually floored to get as much for Iron Man 2 considering how bad it was. Same with Iron Man 1.

IHaveIce

Banned
ellis clarified a couple pages back there is more to come for the TU.

i dont know why they dont say these things in the bulletin.
IF there is still stuff to be revealed about the TU it won't be anything big, I mean they can't just keep people in the dark when their favorite weopon now is nerfed (let us say the DMR). They can't just change the sandbox and don't talk about it.

At least in my opinion it would be quite weird.

Question from the Monolith video:

IGN: What's your favorite [gametype] to play along with?
Kynan Pearson: Um, I do enjoy Infinity Slayer on it. Just because it's more of a classic Halo feel, and it's just a good, competitive 4v4 map.

Well, then.
Well.. at least he's being honest.

On Halo 4; has anyone been getting the warning of "Please make sure that you're connected to Xbox Live and have the War Games pass downloaded" every time you restart the game?

Yep but I get "Unable to validate, please make sure gold season pass blah etc

-------------

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2012/12/06/The-Halo-Bulletin-120612-.aspx

December bulletin said:
If you find yourself wondering why this change list is shorter than previous ones, it’s because we’ve been hard at work on a Title Update, which is slated to release soon. You’ll know it’s out when you’re prompted to download an update upon logging into Halo 4. We will detail the contents of the TU after it’s out (as it contains exploit fixes we don’t want abused any more than they already are while they’re live). We can tell you right now that this particular TU tackles actual game and gameplay issues, not sandbox tweaks and balances. We have another TU in the works and will continue working on the timing and content of the next one. We will update everyone when we have additional information. One TU at a time, as they say.

The one released today can't be the mooted Sandbox balance can it? That list in todays bulletin is basically a bug list with the exception of the lone Boltshot nerf. David said more to come in the coming weeks but the TU's already out? I'm slightly confused.

The announcer fix in Theatre is good.

Something else from the latest bulletin

"Majestic mappack live stream: Watch members of 343 on the Majestic maps"

After the repeated spam of that hologram gif I hope the devs have their five shots down! If they use camo in the stream they officially hate Halo publicly.

Aggrotek

Honestly this is annoying me. Who on Earth is working at 343 and what Halo game did they play? Cause it's obviously not the one from this Universe.

Oh OBVIOUSLY.

Jesus the map actually looks like it will play well, and to be honest I did get a more classic feel from it than any other map in the Halo 4 repertoire. The amount of complaining in this thread just fucking baffles me.

Halo 4 is looking more promising and playing better than it was on release and you guys are still bitching.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh OBVIOUSLY.

Jesus the map actually looks like it will play well, and to be honest I did get a more classic feel from it than any other map in the Halo 4 repertoire. The amount of complaining in this thread just fucking baffles me.

Halo 4 is looking more promising and playing better than it was on release and you guys are still bitching.
It is about Infinity Slayer not the map ;)
Yeah it looks more promising but it can't keep the promises up and still feels heartless.

They release a title update with like 50 bug fixes, and people say it's pitiful. Then, David hints at additional upcoming sandbox tweaks, and people continue complaining. There's just no way to win with people here sometimes. If I was a developer, I'd say fuck y'all.

Is Destiny 60 fps on the PS4?

Red X's, waypoint markers for off screen teammates and descoping are a must for the 'proper' TU. And the Flag getting stuck in the wall glitch. And the jamming flagnum.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
quite disappointed with this TU. mostly bug fixes whereas i think until very recently people expected more in the way of balance tweaks. EDIT: to clarify, i wish we'd have known much more in advance exactly what their goals were with this first (?) TU. again, it goes back to communicating a bit more and better with their fans.

also, as a regen user, it looks like they havent fixed the bug with it not always working. sometimes, when using regen on a sloped surface, the bubble won't recharge your shields - happens quite frequently along the edges of the banshee cave in exile.

They release a title update with like 50 bug fixes, and people say it's pitiful. Then, David hints at additional upcoming sandbox tweaks, and people continue complaining. There's just no way to win with people here sometimes. If I was a developer, I'd say fuck y'all.

I'm perfectly fine with that if we actually knew of what consisted in the sandbox TU. With the way information was delivered on this TU, I don't expect information for around a month.

Omni

Is Destiny 60 fps on the PS4?

Red X's, waypoint markers for off screen teammates and descoping are a must for the 'proper' TU. And the Flag getting stuck in the wall glitch. And the jamming flagnum.

Are red X's even possible? That would require altering the HUD... which is packaged within the level, no? So if they were to implement them, we'd have to download all the multiplayer maps again.

Computer

Why don't they take the one shot kill weapon out of the starting load out? You decreased the range so fucking what? People camp corners with camo and will still be close enough to kill you with it just the same.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Why don't they take the one shot kill weapon out of the starting load out? You decreased the range so fucking what? People camp corners with camo and will still be close enough to kill you with it just the same.

because that would upset the campers. serious answer.

I really believe that the issue is TU has been long hinted at and many expected some substantial re-balancing and tweaking of the as current problematic sandbox.

Then out first taste of the TU news is basically "we fixed bugs that very likely did not effect you"

People expected more meat on the bone. This is the type of silent patch that gets rolled out with a change log at the time of release not something to build up anticipation for.

I'm curious to what David was talking about earlier and why he can't say more right now.

Remove the Boltshot and DMR from loadouts and have them be pick-up weapons.

God that would help this game so much.
Except that a huge amount of people now consider the DMR as their Halo weapon of choice now.
Just now like the larger Halo 4 population are used to Infinity Blainer and being able to quit at will without real consequence that it's a damn if you do, damned if you don't.
The glass is half empty until it's completely full.

Madness

Ferrex?

That aside, it's entirely 343's fault. Seriously, half the info we get is from random sources. Why can't they simply tell us EXACT dates or information? If it's not possible, than keep silent about it. I hate those types of people in real life who drag things on and on. Instead of having to find out things from Twitter or GAF comments, why not put it in the title update?

I have no problem waiting a year for a title update, I have a problem being told soon, a few weeks, in a month, etc. Being told something and than not having it come through.

Since before launch, communication has been handled so poor, I mean indie devs get back to fans quicker. We found out things from asshole pirates rather than the devs themselves. Not saying they have to answer anything on GAF, but maybe an official press release on what exactly came in the limited edition, or official blog posts talking about Europe missing out on specializations early etc.

But I agree, 343i is taking comments to heart and making active attempts to fix them, so I can't fault them for that. And it's great David comes on GAF and shares information, so thanks for that Ellis.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I just saw a thread that said the TU basically made the boltshot's range random. That's insane if true.

Probably my thread lol.

And yes, it's true.

Max range I've got in testing so far was 8 metres/26feet and consistent one hit kill range is 6.5 metres/21 feet. So that's 5 feet where you might or might not die.

So much for 15feet max.

IF there is still stuff to be revealed about the TU it won't be anything big, I mean they can't just keep people in the dark when their favorite weopon now is nerfed (let us say the DMR). They can't just change the sandbox and don't talk about it.

At least in my opinion it would be quite weird.

Yea I don't expect the DMR to be nerfed, or any other weapon to be changed to be honest.. I honestly just want things like the red x to come back. Guess I'll have to wait for Halo 5 :/

DeadNames

Banned
They probably didn't include the Xs for the same reason a secondary weapon isn't available on the HUD.

To "clear up space".

Or, you know, they could just get rid of the white text.

Havok

IGN:
- Majestic Map Pack: Landfall walkthrough.
In the first 30 seconds of the video: "...[Landfall is] great for objective gametypes..."

Yet from the bulletin:

To start, here’s how these maps will be integrated into existing playlists at launch.

Landfall
Infinity Slayer
SWAT
Team Doubles

Majestic Team DLC
4 vs. 4
Landfall
Infinity Slayer
Extraction

Put it in Team Objective if it's so good at objectives! Make it a King of the Hill map, or put Extraction on it and add it to TO like it should have been from the beginning, or even just Team Regicide (you put TR on Complex and Abandon, so asymmetry is not an issue). These maps seem pretty strong from the glimpses we've been shown but their integration is so weird. There's this bizarre disconnect between what the maps (both disc and DLC) are good at and what they're being used for that just seems like it's creating a bunch of wasted potential.

Edit: Monolith has a Beam Rifle initial spawn, from the look of it. That's good, it's been completely absent outside of PO drops so far.

Next TU should nerf DMR and remove flinch entirely.

Maybe unscoping should come back as well.

No flinch without unscoping would be awful.

I'm surprised either of them still visit halogaf.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
343 made a mistake by calling this a "Title Update" when it is really a "Patch." A patch fixes bugs (which is what this is doing). A title update adds features, make significant changes. This is a patch.

Either way, Halo is still in a death spiral after losing its identity.

343 made a mistake by calling this a "Title Update" when it is really a "Patch." A patch fixes bugs (which is what this is doing). A title update adds features, make significant changes. This is a patch.

Either way, Halo is still in a death spiral after losing its identity.

Yeah, the biggest mistake was 343 hyping this up on their twitter and Bulletins without revealing any real info for about a month.

Computer

"Team Throwdown launched on Monday and we’re happy to see that many of you have checked out the playlist."

So we are not going to put the awesome, small, and competitive, new maps that fit Team Throwdown perfectly in that game type sorry losers. See Infinity FFA! Witch lucky player will get the best drop in order to win the game!

Duji

The one released today can't be the mooted Sandbox balance can it? That list in todays bulletin is basically a bug list with the exception of the lone Boltshot nerf. David said more to come in the coming weeks but the TU's already out? I'm slightly confused.

I'm also confused. Can anyone from 343 comment on this?

Top Bottom