• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD-11

Lots of games have flag on the back mechanic. I'd be open to playing that way (all weapons, perhaps not AAs, but even then I'd be fine with it), it worked very well in Unreal Tournament, IMO the best game of CTF. Team Fortress also has quite a following.

I'm not sure why everyone is so upset with adding a pistol. Just who is going to get out gunned by someone with a pistol?

A lot of people seem resistant to any change or addition to Halo, and that doesn't make sense. Games have to evolve because if they didn't we'd still be playing 80s Wolfenstein.

If you're willing to deal with international shipping, then sure.
Maybe I will do a EU-only contest here on GAF and HBO if you are only doing NA.
343 is sending Hypertrooper a Hoodie OR he's exchanging candy for one at PAX.
Halo 4 will have multiplayer (a Heckfu exclusive reveal via Gamespot).
Mike Dongblain was created by "a stupid person" according to Frank.
One member of HaloGAF was officially added to 343's HandsomeMen hashtag club.
No. No. I should send them a "Return label". And so I thought it would be cheaper to pick-up the hoodie in person at PAX Prime. Later I thought I cannot accept the hoodie without giving something back in return. So I am thinking to send a GhaleonEB-like candy package with the return label to 343i.

Edit.: I am still wondering if there is something left from my package...

I've been on HaloGaf way longer than that. Just missed your hoodie bit.
I know! I know!

Fracas

#fuckonami
No. No. I should send them a "Return label". And so I thought it would be cheaper to pick-up the hoodie in person at PAX Prime. Later I thought I cannot accept the hoodie without giving something back in return. So I am thinking to send a GhaleonEB-like candy package with the return label to 343i.

Whoa, there was a candy swapping thread? Is there one for this year?

Trying candies from other countries sounds awesome and delicious.

daedalius

barfb4jwz.gif

barf

are you barfing at how shallow the pistol's clip is? or how bad that guy's aim is?

Both. Also bloom. :(

Pistol definitely has a lot of bloom, maybe the 'tweak' made it have less.

Duji

IMO the reason objective gametypes aren't popular is because they aren't slayer.

There's a reason deathmatch is the most popular gametype in any shooter. A LOT of people don't like to consider things like flag reset time, flag juggling, bomb arming time, etc.

They just want to kill things.

A very popular FPS back in the day, RTCW, had pretty much 95% of the servers consist of one-sided objective gametypes as opposed to deathmatch. Granted, the developers built all of the original maps that shipped with the game with one sided objective in mind.

The problem with Halo is that they don't do objective right. It's frustrating, not competitive, and too much time is wasted.

From my experience in various FPS games (including Quake, CS, and ofc RTCW & Halo), one-sided objective games are far more fun AND competitive than double-sided objective games (like multiflag) when they are done right. Basically, the attacking team that successfully completes the objective faster should be rewarded. It saves so much time and adds a new depth to the game. Strategy, tactics, and execution become more important than ever since every single second is vital. It's called stopwatching the game.

I feel like I will take the time to educate everyone on how to achieve a proper stopwatch mode by analysing the problems with Halo's one sided objective games.

Problem #1: Pointless final round
Take this 4-round 1-Flag game on High Ground (Halo 3) as an example:

Round 1: Team A caps the flag (Score is now 1-0)
Round 2: Team B fails to cap (Score remains 1-0)
Round 3: Team A caps the flag (Score is now 2-0)
Round 4: ...

Result: Team A wins (regardless of Round 4)

Round 4 is entirely irrelevant since it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for Team B to win. It is, simply put, a waste of time. I remember back in the Team Objective days of H3... if my team dominated the first 3 rounds, we would just let the other team cap in the 4th round in the interest of time.

The above game should end as soon as Round 3 is over.

Here's another example:
Round 1: Team A fails to cap the flag (Score is 0-0)
Round 2: Team B caps (Score is 0-1)
Round 3: Team A fails to cap (Score remains 0-1)
Round 4: Team B decides to not go for the objective and instead just pad their stats by spawn killing for the entire round

Result: Team B wins (regardless of Round 4)

Now a game like this is why I can understand people don't play objective. Who wants to play a game where the opposing team is spawn killing you until the time runs out instead of just playing the objective.

Ending the game after the third round in this case is the only way to avoid giving opportunities to griefers.

Problem #2: Pointless tie
Now, just say there is a 2-round 1-Flag game on High Ground

Round 1: Team A caps in 5 minutes
Round 2: Team B caps in 1 minute

Result: Tie

Why is this a tie? Team B clearly deserves the win. I mean, did they not cap in 1/5th of the time that Team A did?

Problem #3: Wasted time
Now for this problem, let's assume that 343 decides to fix Problem #2 and reward the faster team. Sweet, but there is still 1 remaining problem.

Let's use a 2-round 1-Flag game on High Ground as our last example

Round 1: Team A caps in 1 minute
Round 2: Team B caps in 5 minutes

Result: Team A wins (assuming the faster team is rewarded)

The problem lies within the second round. The game should end if it's impossible for Team B to win, don't you think? Therefore the time limit of Round 2 should be set to the exact time that Team A successfully completed the objective in Round 1 (if they failed, then just leave it as the default time).

So assuming it's implemented with that in mind... then the game would then be:

Round 1: Team A caps in 1 minute
Round 2: 1 minute passes and Team B fails to cap. Game over.

Result: Team A wins

Same result, except not even a millisecond of time is wasted!

tl;dr: Objective in Halo would be way more fun, competitive, and appeal to a larger crowd if they focused on improving the one-sided objective gametypes by rewarded the faster team and not wasting copious amounts of time.

Btw, first post here =)

Fracas

#fuckonami
I agree, one sided objective gametypes need to be revamped in that fashion.

Also, holy shit, you got approved in less than 2 weeks :lol

Or just remove one sided objectives all-together and only have neutral or two-sided objectives (since they are superior in every way). Problem solved... and with less words.
Never! 1 Flag CTF will always be dear to my heart.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Or just remove one sided objectives all-together and only have neutral or two-sided objectives (since they are superior in every way). Problem solved... and with less words.

One-sided objective games are fantastic, just in need of fixing. Some of the most fun and intense games I've ever played in objective have been on one-sided gametypes.

senador

Banned
I've caught tidbits of news, but haven't kept up with this thread at all really. Are the orange lit areas new on Haven? New to me anyway. I don't think I like them. They make me feel like PV is on, or like the tint is off.

TCKaos

Or optimize the maps to sort-of-not-really work with every single gametype.

Trust me, it'll work.

Sai-kun

Banned
just give me the xxs t shirt

it ain't gonna fit on anyone else here, let's be honest

i'm a 10 year old

edit: jasfl;kja;slfja i forgot to tell EVERY SINGLE PERSON that I booked my flight for pax. so...that's happening! :D i'm so so so excited to go. i'm actually going 2 days early so i can see a bit of the city.

wwm0nkey

Never! 1 Flag CTF will always be dear to my heart.
I talked to BSAngel about this but objectives 1 sided and 2 sides on Halo 2 were perfect.

If you hated 1 flag on Relic or Terminal you had no soul! Sadly it feels like none of the maps in 3 or Reach ever even took the objectives into mind.

Ryaaan14

Banned
just give me the xxs t shirt

it ain't gonna fit on anyone else here, let's be honest

i'm a 10 year old

edit: jasfl;kja;slfja i forgot to tell EVERY SINGLE PERSON that I booked my flight for pax. so...that's happening! :D i'm so so so excited to go. i'm actually going 2 days early so i can see a bit of the city.

Ahem.

Kuroyume

Banned
are you barfing at how shallow the pistol's clip is? or how bad that guy's aim is?

Pistol definitely has a lot of bloom, maybe the 'tweak' made it have less.

Unless I'm going blind it looks like the reticle is on a person most of the time he's shooting... Not to mention he's getting shot by two people at the same time.

The pistol looks like ass.

TCKaos

I talked to BSAngel about this but objectives 1 sided and 2 sides on Halo 2 where perfect.

If you hated 1 flag on Relic or Terminal you had no soul! Sadly it feels like none of the maps in 3 or Reach ever even took the objectives into mind.

Tempest and Highlands come to mind, but neither of them did it very well nor do they ever come in to play often. The only time I managed to get a full game on Highlands was when I held customs on the day Defiant came out.

Also
Timberlands, Headlong, Battle Creek. Not that they count.

Risen

I talked to BSAngel about this but objectives 1 sided and 2 sides on Halo 2 where perfect.

On a serious note... one-sided objectives in Halo typically work miles better on large maps. Two equally matched teams on small maps with infinite lives is a recipe for ties. Larger maps mean that travel distance is greater which increases the penalty for dying, allowing the objective to move (or be defended).

In Halo... they should try keeping one sided objectives in larger game types on larger maps, and removing them from small, 4v4 maps. It would play better... and more people would enjoy it.

One flag, or one bomb on either Relic or Terminal played great precisely because of that spawn penalty of distance.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
German candies are great, as is German chocolate but the cookies are more interesting. Slightly unusual peppery flavors, sweet, but with herbal or spice notes.

wwm0nkey

German candies are great, as is German chocolate but the cookies are more interesting. Slightly unusual peppery flavors, sweet, but with herbal or spice notes.
I have heard amazing things about German food and as being part German myself I am ashamed to admit that I have never eaten any German food :(

Duji

Actually it was three days. I wonder if my fast approval time has anything to do with the fact that they filmed Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn at my university. I was harsh tripping balls when I was watching the trailer for it.

I'm going to like having you around here, considering I'm agreeing with everything you've just said.

Welcome to GAF, enjoy your stay.
Thanks!

Domino and I just had a few hour conversation about Halo while posing Master Chief figures. Then ate 5lbs of deep dish pizza and now watching Archer.

Feeling sick, but it was worth it. These few days have been incredible.

GhaleonEB

Hyper sent me some in the epic shipment of sweets last year that were interesting. The cookie part was not very sweet, and kind of fluffy, which served as a backdrop to some very strong dark chocolate one side was dipped in. A bit like one of the Pepperidge Farms cookies but less sweet and with actual good chocolate. Really good stuff.

That's on LAN as well. Anyone who is worried about Pistol with a flag should just watch this GIF a few times, and then realize it will be online as well. You basically don't have a weapon with the flag.
Lol so good. (Yeah I quoted 2 GIFs, bring it haters/get PCs not from the 80s)
Fat post about objective
Another game to mention as an example is the Battlefield series, which is currently one of the most popular games out there, is based almost entirely on objective gametypes. Yes, they have deathmatch, but the overwhelming majority of the players (and the game is designed around) are playing Conquest and Rush.

My solution to one-sided objective games has always been two timed rounds (say 5 minutes), unlimited scoring. Played it many times in customs over the years in Halo and it is a vastly superior experience to the 4 round, single score setup.
Love stuff like that on maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom