• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I'm really bummed about no brutes. I was confident that 343 would bring them back with a terrifyingly awesome new redesign. Maybe in Halo 5. Thanks for letting us know, Stankles.

Props to Frankie for coming out and saying no Brutes. Managing expectations like that, like he did with the Flood before, is commendable in my book.
Guessing the story bit may relate to Thursday War, can't exactly come out and spoil a part of that.
Related note: I've always wanted to have the enemy pick up weapons dropped by fallen allies. Grunts shouldn't walk past FRGs while using their Needler. I mention this because your post made me think of an unusually brave Grunt picking up a hammer from a fallen Elite and charging full speed, shrieking. The image amused me.
For me I imagine it requiring 3 or 4 grunts to hoist the hammer above their head and charge, shrieking as a group some silly battle cry.

PooBone

Inspired by this thread, I want to ask HaloGAF a question: How many of you consider a Halo game to be your favorite game of this console generation? Or favorite game ever?

Halo is hands down my favorite game series, but I'm not sure if any of them individually are my favorite game ever. And as far as this gen goes, I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 -- beginning to end, pound for pound -- was more fun than any Halo game. It doesn't have the replayability of Halo, but it was nearly flawless while it lasted.

This could get way off topic really easily, but I'm still curious to hear what people think.

Halo: Combat Evolved is my favorite game of all time. My favorite game of this generation is The Orange Box, hands down. (even though it's a bundle, I'd never played more than a few hours of the original Half Life 2) Halo 3 is my favorite Halo game of this gen. Honorable mentions: Mirror's Edge, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Mass Effect 2, MGS4.

Trey

Awakening is dope. Really straddles the line of what we remember hearing and some new shit to inject a different vibe into a game we all love. It kind of fizzles out during the third quarter of the song but comes back strong. Can't wait to hear it in game.

Never gotten all the hate for Cortana (level). Personally, I think, as do several other people on here, that it doesn't matter how many missions there are nearly so much as what's in those missions.
Have you played Cortana on Legendary? Also, how in your mind did Cortana exemplify any of the list you provided?
Varied environments.
Interesting and challenging encounters.
Good storytelling.
And so on.
Cortana is, quite literally, the devil's asshole.

No. Only the flood on the Ark and the Gravemind were wiped out when Installation 04 had been fired at the end of Halo 3. But there is still Flood at other Halo-Installation etc.
How would they escape their confines and reach the Halo 4 world then? Do the humans or any of the Covenant know the locations of the other Halos exactly?

Woorloog

Banned
New laptop ordered. Maybe i can finally play some more modern games...

Hmm. Halo later on today. Not sure if Halo 3 or Reach though. Or maybe Anniversary Co-op if someone needs achievements, i do.

Sweet, seems we will probably get one last big blowout next month.. Still, I hope PAX gives us enough to pass time.

Huh... MS unveiled a new look/corporate logo. (sorry if old) Just interesting, that's all.

That just made me realize how strange it is that the Xbox logo isn't just an X in a box.

rumored leaked fuel rod cannon

fuel.jpg

the Promethean sniper is rumored to be called the
binary rifle

no idea on how legitimate these could be, but here is source

Hm, no complaints with the style of the gun, it looks pretty awesome.. That said, if real too bad its just a re-skinned Reach model.

they are not - but there's some story stuff I can't get into

Well fuck. =(

Thanks for telling us now, I would have been super bummed if I was expecting them to show up only to have them be absent. Any chance we can still see 343s take on the Brute design one way or another?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
No Brutes already signals great things for the campaign, such boring enemies to fight and they paled in comparison to the elites. The whole "pack" thing fell apart when it meant they'd just stay back and let me ping them from a distance.

Tawpgun

No Brutes already signals great things for the campaign, such boring enemies to fight and they paled in comparison to the elites. The whole "pack" thing fell apart when it meant they'd just stay back and let me ping them from a distance.

This.

I also hope to see engineers return. And since the forerunners have plenty of mechanical defense AI... it would be nice seeing sentinels, but especially the Halo 2 Enforcers. Maybe other types of defense AI from the prometheans we've already seen.

The removal of the BR helped that in Reach, but yes, they ultimately felt like a predictable puzzle, of walking through the motions to defeat them. The Chieftains less so, but similar.

How would they escape their confines and reach the Halo 4 world then? Do the humans or any of the Covenant know the locations of the other Halos exactly?
Who's to say the Flood couldn't stroll into our Galaxy the same way they did originally? We don't know where they came "from".

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But they didn't HAVE to be like that. I was hoping for a pretty radical re-envisioning in Halo 4.

Ramirez

Crow's Nest or whatever in Halo 3 is still one of my favorite levels of any of the Halo campaigns, had really good fight encounters through out. I'll live without them though...be nice if the Forerunners had the original Chopper tech, bring a tear to my eye to see EzB tear people new aholes in it again.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
But they didn't HAVE to be like that. I was hoping for a pretty radical re-envisioning in Halo 4.
Cut the fat from the lean, the covenant after H3 was all "yo Brutes you smell funky, you are no longer part of the clan, deuces." /canonraisins

Beckx

I hope brutes return at some point. I really like them and they relationship between them and elites

It would be pretty boss if Halo 5 followed the Halo 2 pattern, and you have missions as Arbiter, making his way to the Shield World, taking some payback from Brutes on the way.

I don't know what that image above is, but holy hell, if Brutes looked like that, then YES.

Woorloog

Banned
It would be pretty boss if Halo 5 followed the Halo 2 pattern, and you have missions as Arbiter, making his way to the Shield World, taking some payback from Brutes on the way.

I don't know what that image above is, but holy hell, if Brutes looked like that, then YES.

Interesting idea. Would love it.

Also the image is a concept for Halo 2 Brute, i think. Love it.

Will be really interesting to see their take on the Arbiter's design, especially considering some of the other changes.

Dax, your point on the Brute pack versus Elite style is fair, but I feel you're overlooking how the Brute functions in general. They are meant to be opponents that you don't want to fight up close. And that is where their AI should really shine. Instead in 3 and later games, they dance around like the Elites did. In Halo 2 they may not have been fun to fight, because there was no clear way to defeat them, but when they went berserk, it was clear that your plan of attack must change. In Halo 3 and later it was simply target the berserking one with a headshot weapon.

Another time when I wish I was at my computer...

Hm. I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure if Brutes were defined in Halo 2. Here are some comments from Bungie employee made during the ViDoc "Et tu, Brute?":
1. "The Brutes were...they were added in a little too late I think. We didn't really have a chance to really flesh them out."
2. "Right from the start the design of the Brutes was not consistent about reinforcing that they are made to be worthy adversaries for the player."
3. "For the Brutes to behave kind of similar to the Elites, they have to be completely redone."
4. "He was just a damage sponge."
5. "The only tactic the player had was just to pump 'em full of lead until they fall down."

Jaime says that they were "meant to be the barbarians in Rome," but that doesn't say much from a gameplay standpoint.

From these comments you get a sense that Bungie's intentions for Brutes were not realized in Halo 2, or their idea of them wasn't completely thought out during production, and so I would argue that because they weren't clearly defined, it's hard to say what they were meant to be from a gameplay standpoint.

Now to talk about the gameplay point you mentioned. I agree that Brutes were more threatening in Halo 2 when they were charging than they when they were charging in Halo 3. And I do agree that when they were charging, you should avoid close-range combat. Well, in general you should avoid close-range combat with them in Halo 2.

But I'm not sure if that was meant to be a defining trait about them, or that should be something that we should take as their function. And I say that because Halo 2's melee system for campaign was broken. I would avoid close-range combat with Elites as much as I would with Brutes. I think it's as likely that the strength of the Brutes in Halo 2 was to make them different from Elites than it was saying "Here's what they are." In Halo 3, it seems to me that Bungie wanted more emphasis on close-range combat, specifically melee combat, because Brutes were easier to engage at that range and you could melee the Flood.

The functions of Brutes seems to be malleable as well. You don't see, or hardly see, the Brute pack gameplay in Reach. It's why I thought the Brutes were so boring in Reach: they were just there. There was no nuance to them anymore.

neoism

guys what do you get for the limited edition....
and is the game+season pass the same thing...

david..
Is the runes emblem in halo 4?

Overdoziz

Banned
While I won't miss Brutes it would've been cool if there was an occasional pack of brutes with a Chieftain leading them. I've always liked the Chieftains, mostly the ones wielding hammers. It wasn't until a few years after the release of Halo 3 that I found out that you could duel the Chieftain at the end of The Ark. Definitely one of the coolest things in any Halo campaign and it blew my mind when I found out about it.

While I won't miss Brutes it would've been cool if there was an occasional pack of brutes with a Chieftain leading them. I've always liked the Chieftains, mostly the ones wielding hammers. It wasn't until a few years after the release of Halo 3 that I found out that you could duel the Chieftain at the end of The Ark. Definitely one of the coolest things in any Halo campaign and it blew my mind when I found out about it.

I will miss the ODST firefight specific chieftains.

I've never done this, how do you start it?

Gray Man

Banned
This.

I also hope to see engineers return. And since the forerunners have plenty of mechanical defense AI... it would be nice seeing sentinels, but especially the Halo 2 Enforcers. Maybe other types of defense AI from the prometheans we've already seen.

So I just pictured masterchief walking into a Covenant, Forerunner fight. Three way battles would be really interesting.

DesertFox

I didn't know about this til you just said it. Holy crap - this seems like something that should've been telegraphed a little better. I'll be doing this on my next playthrough for sure.

Woorloog

Banned
Hey, anyone wanna play Halo 3 co-op? Seriously! This talk, Halo 4, listening to Awakening... Wanna play!
In a few minutes listen this till end

Karl2177

Guys, most Covenant technology is repurposed Forerunner technology. The grav hammer could easily be Forerunner.

Dax, since I'm not at my computer still I'll get you a much more complete response later. I will say that one of your quotes goes against your argument. It's the one saying that brutes need to fill the elites role.

Slaker117

I've never done this, how do you start it?

Just walk up to the middle of the room without attacking anyone and the chieftain will fight you one-on-one. The other brutes won't attack until you beat him. Took me a while to figure out it was possible as well, as normally I would just start shooting at first sight.

Top Bottom