• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

ElRenoRaven

I didn't know about this til you just said it. Holy crap - this seems like something that should've been telegraphed a little better. I'll be doing this on my next playthrough for sure.

Yup. They won't attack you until you defeat him in the circle as long as you don't fire on them. Then once you beat him they'll attack you. It's a very cool moment that sadly many probably don't know about because most go in guns blazing.

Hey, anyone wanna play Halo 3 co-op? Seriously! This talk, Halo 4, listening to Awakening... Wanna play!
In a few minutes listen this till end

If I wasn't at work all day I'd gladly play. I love playing Halo co-op. I don't care which either since I love em all.

Woorloog

Banned
Yup. They won't attack you until you defeat him in the circle as long as you don't fire on them. Then once you beat him they'll attack you. It's a very cool moment that sadly many probably don't know about because most go in guns blazing.

I cheat and kill the grunt Brutes first (rockets, flame bombs, easy to kill them fast) and then turn my attention to the raging Chieftain.
EDIT too bad :/
EDIT ok, anyone wanna play Halo 3 campaign co-op, now or a bit later?

By the way, am I the only one besides Bungie who's seen Rawhead Rex?

6h6afautssc.jpg
2ikv3nb8tswm.jpg

Really? I enjoyed skirmishers a lot more than drones. I didn't think they were terribly hard to dispose of, and it provided a new and unique challenge. Its nice to have an enemy in the covenant that could actually flank you.

Yeah, I just never really enjoyed fighting them, the AI seemed random rather than intelligent so I never really felt like I was being flanked, it was just annoying having them constantly run in circles. It was equally boring dispatching them, just one shotting them one after the other. I kinda enjoy headshotting grunts but they seem to do more than just sprint in wild random directions lol

Gazzawa

Yeah, I just never really enjoyed fighting them, the AI seemed random rather than intelligent so I never really felt like I was being flanked, it was just annoying having them constantly run in circles. It was equally boring dispatching them, just one shotting them one after the other. I kinda enjoy headshotting grunts but they seem to do more than just sprint in wild random directions lol

yeah i cant remember who it was but they said the same thing it felt like you were just head shotting them for easy 1 shot kills the whole game before they can even do anything.
Would be cool if u could shoot their legs off or the gun out of their hand a la Red Dead.
boom headshot

ElRenoRaven

Yea I'm with you. The Skirmishers really do just seem very random unlike the rest of the Covenant. Randomness was ok with the drones due to being airborn but with ground troops it just get annoying. Keep in mind I'm talking random randomness and not intelligent randomness like the AI picking between a couple of pathing choices.

ElRenoRaven

The Skirmishers had issues but I think they were better than Drones in filling the same role.

I will give you that much. Drones were a whole new level of annoyingness due to no limits really on where they could go. Well other then the limits of stay in this area. At least with the Skirmishers they have to run to a certain spot then jump up all while not being able to hold onto any wall there is. Also they are limited to a horizontal plane unlike the drones.

3 Hammer Chieftains and 2 Fuel Rod Chieftains (with many skulls, heroic, solo), holy shit that was fun!

Is that supposed to be sarcasm because I found it fun as well. Fighting them still felt fair with what we had to combat them.

tumblr_lhasbvwQel1qc485w.gif

nah they weren't a bad combo in that last mission but they are an easy kill

Yup that's the sequence I was referring too, they weren't overtly tough but they had such an interesting dynamic between the lumbering slow pace of the hunters and the fast speed of the skirmishers. Taking hunters down is easy enough when they are with any other type of enemy but skirmishers made it so you had to keep switching cover. That's what I liked about that seq

Behind the Scenes: A Brief History of the Word "Dongblain".

The following is based on a true story.

Well, the truest story I could put together after extensive thread searching.

-------
First use of the word "dong" as a verb on HaloGAF: KevinRo, 06-01-2008

KevinRo said:
Nothing like hearing the reaction of people after you dong on them in matchmaking. :D
-------
First use of the word "blain" as a verb on HaloGAF: kylej, 06-10-2009

kylej said:
I did my grad thesis on the art of the blain. Snipe takes more skill than sword.
-------
First use of the words "dong" and "blain" in the same post: kylej, 08-31-2009

kylej said:
I recommend putting a glossary of Halo terms in the first post for those unfamiliar with the series. I know people get confused by words like blain, wape, dong, mainslay, anchor, bk, warrior, etc. I can provide definitions if needed. I can also describe and show people how to ogre twitch, gandhi hop, claw, etc if that would help.

Thank you.
-------
First use of "dong" and "blain" combined into a single word: ncsuDuncan, 07-22-2011

ncsuDuncan said:
Or pending that, book three of the Forerunner trilogy (tentatively titled DONGBLAINIUM).
-------
First use of the simplified "dongblain": Stinkles, 07-22-2011
Stinkles said:
She mentioned someone named Mike Dongblain.
-------
First use of the word "dongblainer": ncsuDuncan, 07-25-2011

ncsuDuncan said:
I think we're limiting ourselves with just a regular t-shirt. We need something more comfortable:

tommy_dongblainer.jpg
-------
And finally, some prophetic words from Tawpgun on that same day:
Tawpgun said:
Oh my god.... <3

Dongblainer will live forever.

Indeed.

Fuchsdh

Behind the Scenes: A Brief History of the Word "Dongblain".

The following is based on a true story.

Well, the truest story I could put together after extensive thread searching.

-------
First use of the word "dong" as a verb on HaloGAF: KevinRo, 06-01-2008

-------
First use of the word "blain" as a verb on HaloGAF: kylej, 06-10-2009

-------
First use of the words "dong" and "blain" in the same post: kylej, 08-31-2009

-------
First use of "dong" and "blain" combined into a single word: ncsuDuncan, 07-22-2011

-------
First use of the simplified "dongblain": Stinkles, 07-22-2011

-------
First use of the word "dongblainer": ncsuDuncan, 07-25-2011

-------
And finally, some prophetic words from Tawpgun on that same day:

Indeed.

But where are the gifs of the posts with the Ken Burns effect applied? :)

So where do the gravity hammers come from, anyway? Is it possible that its origin is as a forerunner weapon? I don't read the books so maybe that's discussed somewhere. I just remember Tartarus having one in H2 and then bam! they're everywhere in H3.

I thought Blain was a reference to the magician.

Yes.

Blainer = A snipe so good it has to be magic.

I take no credit for any words besides the smack talk "eat a bag of dicks" which I invented back in H2. I also have no fucking way to prove this. I shit on two kids by myself on Foundation who challenged me after a game in MM and at the end of the game yelled that at them because I was so hyped.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What if the Grav Hammer is a UNSC weapon now? Unlikely, but WHAT IF.

nillapuddin

So where do the gravity hammers come from, anyway? Is it possible that its origin is as a forerunner weapon? I don't read the books so maybe that's discussed somewhere. I just remember Tartarus having one in H2 and then bam! they're everywhere in H3.

Prophets find Forerunner tech, say its holy and only they are able to hold them in its true form, then through whatever engineering cycles they funnel them down into weapons for Covenant

Stone Sanghelli Swords --> Energy Sword

Fist of Rukt (Piece of rock) --> (new) Fist Of Rukt/Gravity Hammer

Woorloog

Banned
LOL what a multikill from Grunts and Drones, Crow's Nest.
Near the end, a Drone swarm flies over a group of Grunts, two frags blasted them all around me...

Still playing Halo 3 campaign, anyone wanna join me?

siddhu33

Guys, most Covenant technology is repurposed Forerunner technology. The grav hammer could easily be Forerunner.

Dax, since I'm not at my computer still I'll get you a much more complete response later. I will say that one of your quotes goes against your argument. It's the one saying that brutes need to fill the elites role.

One of those melee promethean knights might have one. Imagine how OP that will be; a promethean knight teleporting at you, then beating the daylights out of you with a huge-ass hammer.

zlatko

Banned
Saw the chievo list and I'm pleased with what they want. All doable, and will let me enjoy the campaign more than once with friends. :D

This is my most hyped game all year. Taking off work for this bad boy---at least 3 days if I can swing it. Midnight release, collectors edition, etc.

I want it to be November!

Saw the chievo list and I'm pleased with what they want. All doable, and will let me enjoy the campaign more than once with friends. :D

This is my most hyped game all year. Taking off work for this bad boy---at least 3 days if I can swing it. Midnight release, collectors edition, etc.

I want it to be November!

Same here. 5 days from the 6th to the 11th.

Blowing all vacation days because my gf is going away to school and I have nothing better to do! (And I fucking LOVE Halo <3)

Also:

The top comment is an awesome idea

They did mention how they're going to try and catch people up who never played before, this would be sick and an awesome beginning cutscene to get all of us classic fans going, however if they did do something like this and it is super long, allow us, for the love of god, to skip it.

zlatko

Banned

Spawnling

Loving the new music. Just listened to Davidge's work, considering the Limited Edition.

Also, some spoiler tags for another thread.

TCKaos

How bout "Dongblainary Rifle"? Yes.

That'd be a great technical term, but it's a mouthful to say in-game. I'm thinking "Blain Gun" or "Dong Rifle". "Dong Gun" has too many repetitive sounds and "Blain Rifle" doesn't really roll off the tongue.

Curious what are you guys playing up until Halo 4? Thinking of making a switch to Halo 3 until then.

I've been playing a great deal of ARMA II and DayZ. I also just got back in to Halo 3. If 343i released a TU that updated the net code, widened the FOV and increased the gravity on jumps, I'd drop $15 on it, easy. It's got a much better sandbox than Reach but Reach has all of the bells and whistles with upgraded netcode and visual/audio feedback.

Top Bottom