• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

senador

Banned
One thing I like about CS:GO is that the controls are completely customizable. I can only dream how awesome it would be for Halo. :(

I'm probably the odd one out, but that turned me off. I'm sure its great and would be in the long run, but there were so many controls and options that I couldn't figure out what worked best, kept getting killed, and turned it off.

Should work fine

Cool, thanks yo. I thought I had heard problems with some of that mix, but maybe not.

I'm probably the odd one out, but that turned me off. I'm sure its great and would be in the long run, but there were so many controls and options that I couldn't figure out what worked best, kept getting killed, and turned it off.

Cool, thanks yo. I thought I had heard problems with some of that mix, but maybe not.

You only customize if there's something you already know will work better or have an idea you want to try out. If the default is fine for you, do you need a change? You missed the point of custom controls.

senador

Banned
You only customize if there's something you already know will work better or have an idea you want to try out. If the default is fine for you, do you need a change? You missed the point of custom controls.

What? No.

The default wasn't working for me, that's why I changed it. Well, I attempted to anyway. I tried to match them up to Halo controls but it seems there are more options than there are controls/buttons. Then I ended up with blank spots but no more buttons. I think it'd be fine, but for me I'd rather have that in addition to a few set control schemes to choose from.

I would only ever use custom controls to troll friends that come over by giving them loadouts like "press any button to shoot," jump on right and left trigger, etc.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
It's a shot I took of a helmet-less Brute right before dropping dead a while back. I recommend watching that movie; it's entertaining to say the least.

'eat a bag of dicks' has been around for a long time.

You ever going to play with TWP again?
Never see your face anymore :'(

Woorloog

Banned
I spent ages trying to do the glitch on The Covenant that let you control one.

I think I pulled it off once.

I know how to do it and can do it whenever i want, pretty much. Though it needs default controls, can't claw really so pressing trigger, B and crouching at the same time isn't easy...
The trick is crouch on above the gunner seat, that doesn't give "Press RB to Board" message, so holding it and shooting the driver is simple.
Well, maybe not so simple, this time the frigging thing rotated constantly, trying to drop me...

zlatko

Banned
Ken you are hitting up Guild Wars 2 as well? Where will all your P4arena time go then? :O

I'm thinking of taking the leap as well.

The only other games this year that interest me are Borderlands 2 and Tekken Tag 2. TTT2 is a must buy for me before H4, then it's all H4 till probably Dead Space 3 or Bioshock Infinite.

People can't hear your footsteps when you walk. Sound is a crucial element in CS. Radar shows enemy position when they fire a weapon.

OK so someone is only on radar when they fired/firing?

but you can still be heard when running?

and you are silent when walking?

P4A talk....

ibbIeklaucE3nD.png

Lol, looks like i installed my Halo 3 campaign disc. Loads awfully slow. At least it won't make noise...
It's worth it. Pre-Xbox Slim disc drives are noisy fuckers. I install every game.

I take no credit for any words besides the smack talk "eat a bag of dicks" which I invented back in H2. I also have no fucking way to prove this. I shit on two kids by myself on Foundation who challenged me after a game in MM and at the end of the game yelled that at them because I was so hyped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptiS3nFa4no

The important thing is that dongblainer will quite likely get inducted into the competitive gamers lexicon.
Gotta come up with a new word now.

the one thing I thought was odd is that Walk is unbound by default (I think). Walk is so useful in CS
Why wouldn't walk just be bound to tilting the analog stick? That's the whole point of analog sticks vs digital keys.

What? No.

The default wasn't working for me, that's why I changed it. Well, I attempted to anyway. I tried to match them up to Halo controls but it seems there are more options than there are controls/buttons. Then I ended up with blank spots but no more buttons. I think it'd be fine, but for me I'd rather have that in addition to a few set control schemes to choose from.

Soooo... the problem wasn't the customization, it was the lack of buttons. You realize this means that you'd have the same issue with a preset configuration, right? So how does that solve the problem?

Does that hide you from radar or something? How does the radar work lol. Confused the crap out of me.
you're silent when walking, and your reticule gets as small as if you're crouching. Sound is a huge part of CS, people can tell where you are and even what weapon you have. Radar shows who's shooting where, and then their last known position

senador

Banned
Soooo... the problem wasn't the customization, it was the lack of buttons. You realize this means that you'd have the same issue with a preset configuration, right? So how does that solve the problem?

I see it as a usability issue, one that frustrated me personally.

I think its one of those things where you dont see the advantage at first but after playing for awhile like you play Halo in great amounts you'd love to be able to swap a few controls here and there to suit your individual needs. Regardless its thoughts like these that are detrimental to development of a lot of console options and leave us with inferior games to PC games with pages and pages of options to suit players. Some of which are pretty nice options.

Default seems pretty good for me in CSGO so far, but I claw so I wouldn't know about the struggles of inferior controller holdings.

I realize that. I think instead of remarking on the customizable controls, a legitimate complaint would be the "shitty port" argument. Don't release on console if you aren't going to put in the effort to make it function fully. That's my view.

I think its one of those things where you dont see the advantage at first but after playing for awhile like you play Halo in great amounts you'd love to be able to swap a few controls here and there to suit your individual needs. Regardless its thoughts like these that are detrimental to development of a lot of console options and leave us with inferior games to PC games with pages and pages of options to suit players. Some of which are pretty nice options.

Default seems pretty good for me in CSGO so far, but I claw so I wouldn't know about the struggles of inferior controller holdings.
I haven't had a problem with it yet. It's been a little weird getting used to LB->Y to unscope, but aside from that it's fine. I might switch Walk to L and Crouch to LS though

senador

Banned

I agree, and I said that too in a way, just probably not clear enough. I'm not against it, just that I didn't like default and the customization experience frustrated me enough to not care to get into the game more.

A few set schemes to choose from in addition to the mapping would have helped me. A scheme would mean someone played it and decided "well this combination works pretty good" and would have been a nice starting point for me.

I don't see how me expressing exactly what happened to me is keeping features out of games though.

Are all the modes in CS 1 life per round? I'd try again but its difficult to get going with only 1 life every few minutes.

I realize that. I think instead of remarking on the customizable controls, a legitimate complaint would be the "shitty port" argument. Don't release on console if you aren't going to put in the effort to make it function fully. That's my view.

But my problem was with the customization, that's why I remarked on it.

Sorry, HaloGaf and friends, I've got my little cousin over at the moment (till Monday), so I can't accept any of your invites, mainly sticking to customs.

Also sick of typing the same reply over and over again on XBL. :p

Love you all.

And those were some fun ass customs...again.

(also wanna play some BS MP with you kittens, next week!)

Didn't know they didnt set up a few schemes. Thats weak.

I do like the scale of the sensitivity options. Why Halo doesn't have that shit is so technologically backwards at this point. Fine tuning is awesome. I set my sensitivity to 1.3 cause Monkey said that. On Halo there is just ten settings. In every Halo I've found 10 is too slow. Its pretty annoying.

senador

Banned
Didn't know they didnt set up a few schemes. Thats weak.

I do like the scale of the sensitivity options. Why Halo doesn't have that shit is so technologically backwards at this point. Fine tuning is awesome. I set my sensitivity to 1.3 cause Monkey said that. On Halo there is just ten settings. In every Halo I've found 10 is too slow. Its pretty annoying.

Its possible I missed some default schemes. I'll have to check again, but I didn't see any originally.

I do like the number system for sensitivity, maybe just more numbers, and also have a separate sensitivity for y-axis. That'd be great.

Yes. You can also setup an offline bot game at whatever difficulty to test out controller configurations and the like.

Sweet thanks. I'll have to try that since I do think the game could be fun.

Top Bottom