• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

My work has been killing me lately too. These 14 hour days are getting old.

2x Score Attack (~24 Elites per game)

Has anyone else noticed Challenges tend to have requirements that are just above x games' worth of enemies? For example:

Kill 120 enemies in anniversary firefight.
And there's like 117 enemies per game.

50 Elites? 48 elites per 2 games, etc.

But my problem was with the customization, that's why I remarked on it.

Which, if I understood you correctly, isn't an issue on PC (more keys) because you can map everything you need. I'm just saying it's doesn't seem like an issue with customization so much as how they ported the experience from the original PC design or just straight up ignored a console issue.

Please correct me if I'm just being dense here.

FyreWulff

Not sure you've seen this Fyre, but PeteTheDuck's Forge Quacks #20 has a potentially novel solution for making this map in the Reach Forge editor:

im2SXQzCKQoxg.gif

Stack em' shits!

Yeah, I've known about that for a long time. Honestly, it's an annoying feature of Reach's teleporters. Wanted to make something for Haloball where you got teleported back to the center of the court if you tried to go up to the capture points, but also didn't want the entrance node to be visible (and cover the entire space with one), it ends up with you getting ported into the middle of the air. It could be used to layer rooms on top of each other.. although I'd have to test to make sure you couldn't block one room from another room.

I actually considered attempting Chiron on Sandbox once, because what i was gonna do was use the built-in teleporter on the map for Forge that lets you get to the Sky Bubble to make the last porter connection. It's actually still active in normal gameplay, you just can't see it.

This reminds me. Why was forge world not included with CEA?

The more perplexing decision was the one to never have Anniversary Slayer on Blood Gulch in matchmaking. They ran out of room on the disc (even for space for the Anniversary Slayer gametype that actually lets you use the Halo 1 pistol - you have to have LIVE to download the gametype), but there was never anything preventing them from using the mode in matchmaking on the map.

So the situation with the decisions behind the CE:A disc is Reach has THE Halo 1 map that everyone remembers and loves built into it, we have a Halo 1 map pack, we have a Halo 1 gametype, but never shall you play Halo 1 mode on the main Halo 1 map in matchmaking. And due to however they rigged the Anniversary disc playlists, they can't even mark Reach disc maps as optional, so there's no way for them to have the game go "everyone here has the Reach disc, let them vote on Hem"

Aggrotek

Finally beat Darksiders 2 on Apocalyptic difficulty. Pretty great game. Definitely better than the first one.

The achievements for H4 look great. Glad there is no stupid MP ones that will haunt me forever.

senador

Banned
Finally beat Darksiders 2 on Apocalyptic difficulty. Pretty great game. Definitely better than the first one.

Nice! I have
1 of the 3 lords and going for the other 2.
No idea how much I have left in the game.

Which, if I understood you correctly, isn't an issue on PC (more keys) because you can map everything you need. I'm just saying it's doesn't seem like an issue with customization so much as how they ported the experience from the original PC design or just straight up ignored a console issue.

Please correct me if I'm just being dense here.

Bad port or not, I had issues when I tried to map my controls and got frustrated, so for me it was an issue with the customization. Whether that is due to design decisions when porting or not is beside the point for me.

Nope, Arms Race has respawns. It's Gun Game

Ah nice, that sounds like a good learning place too.

Can anyone who is already in the Xbox Dashboard Beta talk about whether it's worth downloading or not? Is that allowed? I'm already in but I haven't installed it yet

343 please leave armor effects out of Halo 4. Grunt birthday party was cool for about the first 5 minutes of Reach I ever played. Now it's just fucking annoying and makes the game seam really childish. Reach has a dark tone with serious music and plot. Until I shoot someone in the head and confetti comes out of their ass.

FyreWulff

I wonder how much space the useless kinect features took up...

Needs more awkwardly long intro when you boot up the game where the 3 developers that actually developed the game and just didn't have an oversight role don't have their logos show up anyway.

But for the record, I believe you have to actually download the Kinect functionality. It's not on the disc.

343 please leave armor effects out of Halo 4. Grunt birthday party was cool for about the first 5 minutes of Reach I ever played. Now it's just fucking annoying and makes the game seam really childish. Reach has a dark tone with serious music and plot. Until I shoot someone in the head and confetti comes out of their ass.
You bein serious?

FyreWulff

Was the title update for Anniversary the kinect stuff then? I mean, what else did it do than change the version number to 1.1?

Oh yeah, it was in the title update. Speaking of which, I believe that made Anniversary the first Halo game on the newest XDK with the >4MB permanently-installed patch capability. Reach is still on the older system where the patch is <4MB and gets cleared when you play too many games or clear cache on the HDD.

Hopefully Halo 4 has the newest XDK so patches permanently install. Would simplify LAN.

Needs more awkwardly long intro when you boot up the game where the 3 developers that actually developed the game and just didn't have an oversight role don't have their logos show up anyway.

But for the record, I believe you have to actually download the Kinect functionality. It's not on the disc.

Oh gosh, I forgot about that video. All they had to do was add the .map. They didn't even need to include any forge variants or anything. They could have all been download to the hard drive.

I would be really curious to see how many people actually play mp on the CEA disc. I think most people use their Reach disc. I know 343 wanted to make the game accessible to all new players who don't own Reach but it seems like that demographic doesn't really exist. I would have rather the game just ship with the download code so that the maps could be in all MM playlists.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh yeah, it was in the title update. Speaking of which, I believe that made Anniversary the first Halo game on the newest XDK with the >4MB permanently-installed patch capability. Reach is still on the older system where the patch is <4MB and gets cleared when you play too many games or clear cache on the HDD.

Hopefully Halo 4 has the newest XDK so patches permanently install. Would simplify LAN finally.

Play too many games? Is that possible? Err, i mean, too many games and some patches get cleared...
Of course it is possible to play too many games, too much...

EDIT i never use Anniversary disc for playing Reach.

Play too many games? Is that possible? Err, i mean, too many games and some patches get cleared...
Of course it is possible to play too many games, too much...

He is saying the patch gets auto cleared if you play Reach with the patch and then decide to go play X number of other 360 games. Eventually the console will overwrite the patch in your cache.

Can anyone who is already in the Xbox Dashboard Beta talk about whether it's worth downloading or not? Is that allowed? I'm already in but I haven't installed it yet

Did you redeem your product key or run the "demo" game yet?

If you have, then you're getting it no matter what.

Woorloog

Banned
He is saying the patch gets auto cleared if you play Reach with the patch and then decide to go play X number of other 360 games. Eventually the console will overwrite the patch in your cache.

I understood that. I meant that... umm... I was disbeliveing that happens? EDIT seriously, how many games one needs to play before the patches start overwriting others?

Computron

Hopefully Halo 4 has the newest XDK so patches permanently install. Would simplify LAN.

I just want the new voice codec.

Seriously, if you play voice through your primary sound system (Bluetooth Wireless Headphones in my case) and you are playing games that came out recently the voice quality is awesome.

IDK why they didn't switch to that with the Reach TU, it was available at the time. Now the dashboard's Voice and Game audio mixing wont work properly with Reach, and I can barely hear anyone when there are any explosions are warthogs nearby.

FyreWulff

Oh gosh, I forgot about that video. All they had to do was add the .map. They didn't even need to include any forge variants or anything. They could have all been download to the hard drive.

I would be really curious to see how many people actually play mp on the CEA disc. I think most people use their Reach disc. I know 343 wanted to make the game accessible to all new players who don't own Reach but it seems like that demographic doesn't really exist. I would have rather the game just ship with the download code so that the maps could be in all MM playlists.

I thought it would have been cool if you could maybe export Reach's maps so you could play the entire multiplayer suite from the Anniversary disc (for LAN), but I don't think that would have been possible as they set up Anniversary to not even load any DLC. You would think MS would let the Anni disc upsell people to the other map packs, but understanding that company requires a degree in magic.

I just want the new voice codec.

Seriously, if you play voice through your primary sound system (Bluetooth Wireless Headphones in my case) and you are playing games that came out recently the voice quality is awesome.

IDK why they didn't switch to that with the Reach TU, it was available at the time. Now the dashboard's Voice and Game audio mixing wont work properly with Reach, and I can barely hear anyone when there are any explosions are warthogs nearby.

I think recompiling Reach with the new XDK was beyond the limits and scope of the system. Interesting how the first game with it was actually a third party game - Rock Band 3 - and not an MS first party game. Then again, there's features in the newer XDKs that Microsoft put in JUST because Rock Band needed it.

I understood that. I meant that... umm... I was disbeliveing that happens? EDIT seriously, how many games one needs to play before the patches start overwriting others?

The amount of games depends on how much storage you have. On my 20GB it was roughly 5 or 6 games, but I think it also depends on the cumulative size of the patches you have stored. You can tell when a game is on the newer XDK because it's Title Update will show up as a save file under it's folder.

Computron

New dashboard is pointless except for Pins which could be way better if they were one less step removed from the start.

Also, why did they rename and move around the Recently played menu in the blades?

Computron

I think recompiling Reach with the new XDK was beyond the limits and scope of the system. Interesting how the first game with it was actually a third party game - Rock Band 3 - and not an MS first party game. Then again, there's features in the newer XDKs that Microsoft put in JUST because Rock Band needed it.

I don't understand why this is handled by the game rather than a dashboard/OS level feature, unless they need it that way to do Proximity voice (Best feature EVER). It seems like the Xbox was kinda poorly thought out with OG Live getting taken down (Still waiting for them features MS) and features not being forward compatible in the least.

Computron

So does the timer for the CS:GO demo reset if you dashboard then come back?
I know of a couple other games that do this, but none of them are trusting enough of their customers to unlock every single paid feature as with CS:GO.
KuGsj.gif

FyreWulff

I don't understand why this is handled by the game rather than a dashboard/OS level feature, unless they need it that way to do Proximity voice (Best feature EVER). It seems like the Xbox was kinda poorly thought out with OG Live getting taken down (Still waiting for them features MS) and features not being forward compatible.

A combination of stability, money, and time. Nintendo and Sony also both use the same system. Compile against a version of the console OS, ship that game, game can't adopt any new features. Games ignore newer features so MS doesn't have to go back and test all games to make sure they don't explode on newer dashboards.

One of the more invisible improvements that was revealed later by a Bungie interview? In TU2 Halo 3 actually has more RAM available for the game to use, because they figured out how to free some up. I thought that was neat, since it was an important update and probably hardly anyone would have noticed it.

The biggest improvement though was when MS finally gave devs twice the RAM in the devkit, so you no longer had to run debug stuff inside the system's 512MB, so later games actually have more overall RAM to use. Like how later PS3 games can use more RAM because the first PS3 OS reserved 128MB of RAM for itself. 128MB! on a 512MB console!

edit: TBH all 3 console makers made a lot of terrible decisions with their OSes, Microsoft just had the least shit ones and had the better escape plan. Sony is somewhere in the middle, and Nintendo wrote so close to the metal that they really couldn't do a total fix without rewriting the Wii OS in a signficant way.

It started a couple hours ago, haven't heard anything. Frankie told me last week not to expect anything new though.

I'm going on Sunday and plan on tweeting/posting about it during and after my time with it.

sounds good. was hoping it would be a new build of the game

m23

It started a couple hours ago, haven't heard anything. Frankie told me last week not to expect anything new though.

I'm going on Sunday and plan on tweeting/posting about it during and after my time with it.

Fuck, so no new build?

643106687.jpg

My cousin is there today, impressions in a few hours I guess and he should be able to tell me if its a new build or not. I have to wait til Saturday to get my hands on it.

lilty

My cousin is there today, impressions in a few hours I guess and he should be able to tell me if its a new build or not. I have to wait til Saturday to get my hands on it.

Are you only there on Saturday? Might be cool to meet up and play some games with Gaf guys.

Any word on whether or not Cyren is going?

Fuck, so no new build?

643106687.jpg

Tell him to explore the menus, and see if there is anything new, and see if he can take pics or vids, even from a cell phone! It may be a new build, but something tells me it will still be the e3 build as they implied the PAX build is not finished yet.

The Chopper is a beatiful killing machine... The animations, the feel, everything... If we ain't getting it back for Halo 4, at least, at very least, please, please add it to Halo 5 AND 6!
It better be back.. if we only get two new vehicles and no Chopper I will be incredibly disappointed.

I HAVE PLAYED HALO 4!!!

E3 build.

One match of Infinity Team Slayer.

Looks beautiful. Seems like a huge graphical leap over the last games. I didn't get a chance to mess around with the controls and sensitivity so it's hard to give a good review of what I played but I had a lot of fun.

A combination of stability, money, and time. Nintendo and Sony also both use the same system. Compile against a version of the console OS, ship that game, game can't adopt any new features. Games ignore newer features so MS doesn't have to go back and test all games to make sure they don't explode on newer dashboards.

One of the more invisible improvements that was revealed later by a Bungie interview? In TU2 Halo 3 actually has more RAM available for the game to use, because they figured out how to free some up. I thought that was neat, since it was an important update and probably hardly anyone would have noticed it.

The biggest improvement though was when MS finally gave devs twice the RAM in the devkit, so you no longer had to run debug stuff inside the system's 512MB, so later games actually have more overall RAM to use. Like how later PS3 games can use more RAM because the first PS3 OS reserved 128MB of RAM for itself. 128MB! on a 512MB console!

Considering that we are using 7 year old hardware and OS framework, it's pretty impressive what MS has been able to do in my opinion.

Clearly things grew, especially on the media/entertainment side, much faster than MS ever dreamed was possible with the 360. Stuff like the certification system and updates may have seem good in 2005, but "tech doubles every 18 months", so now a lot of those systems are archaic.

Looking forward to what the new OS brings with the new Xbox, especially considering it is most likely sharing most of the kernel from Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Top Bottom