• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Eh, it was outdated anyway. It's been years since Elites last had heads that skull could fit inside.
That skull also implies that they were once able to close their mandibles and weren't always space mouth-breathers, and that just won't do.
It's a thing of stylish beauty.

I just don't see the need. They didn't just change the skull, it's a different style, different ratios, different positioning.. bah.

Beckx

This thing. It's in the playspace, flying around like tinkerbell. What is it?

wth.png

Omni

The bandwidth! THINK OF THE BANDWIDTH!

Is it true that MS has bandwidth limitations with the Xbox?

I noticed something odd the other day when my Internet was shaped to a max speed of 64kbps. I could still play full 64 player games of BF3 on PC without any lag at all... and most of the time I wasn't even downloading data at 30kbps according to my modem. Online matchmaking on consoles was running smooth too.

If that shitty ass slowed connection could handle so many players in a game like BF3, surely most peoples' connections could handle a few more in Halo.

So if there are limitations set by MS, just how low are they? Or is Halo still using 16 player matchmaking because of engine limitations and/or something else? (If anyone here knows why we're still stuck at the same player count as a game last gen)

Woorloog

Banned
So i'm looking at gamestop.fi, what they offer for Halo 4 pre-order.
Specializations.
The fuck? My LE pre-order is there, i'm already getting the Specs with that...
Another reason to cancel the LE pre-order.
Can get Halo 4 standard edition for 43.44€ from VPD, no pre-order bonuses but is cheap enough i'd rather get it.
Besides, the pre-order bonuses for Halo 4 suck, don't care about the skins.

EDIT the thing in Longbow pic is not a Wraith shot, it is a probe fired from the mass driver, as Hyper said above. Check the map lore... Wraith shots are not straight anyway, they curve a bit due to ballistic arc.

Match starts with no bases captured.

Take base.

Base upgrades with new weapons, fortifications and vehicle the longer you hold it.

Use those items to defend your base and take others.

Once a base is upgraded the other team can capture and take it over in its upgraded state. (Teams can recapture or steal a base at any time. Just using this as an example.)

First team to have bases captured for the set amount of points, wins the game.

It's BTB and crazy fun. Love seeing my bases defense turrets come online.

This is sounding amazingly fun, BTB is hopefully going to have a return to form.

Nah its the Mass Drivers at the sides of the map. If you watch this video from the 38ish minute mark for a few minutes, you see the same thing (RTX Video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBv5YS9084

Can I have a briefing packet that explains this mass driver please?

(This should get Bobs out of hiding)

I noticed something odd the other day when my Internet was shaped to a max speed of 64kbps. I could still play full 64 player games of BF3 on PC without any lag at all... and most of the time I wasn't even downloading data at 30kbps according to my modem. Online matchmaking on consoles was running smooth too.

If that shitty ass slowed connection could handle so many players in a game like BF3, surely most peoples' connections could handle a few more in Halo.

So if there are limitations set by MS, just how low are they? Or is Halo still using 16 player matchmaking because of engine limitations and/or something else? (If anyone here knows why we're still stuck at the same player count as a game last gen)

Networking is very complicated, and I couldn't explain much in one post (not that my knowledge is ideal), but:
The more clients you have in a peer to peer connection, the more state-data needs to be transmitted to the host. Halo networks a lot of data, from position vectors, player states, button presses, and even predictive states, increasing the player count drastically increases the BW required keep a game running smoothly. Think relatively low polynomial (1<degree<2). So quadrupling the player count from 16 to 64 could increase the bandwidth by around 32 times. I don't know enough about netcode to be able to offer anything precise, but it's almost infeasible to raise the player count.

Other games can do it because they are built around higher player counts.

Naturally, dedicated host servers voids my entire post.

DeadNames

Banned
"It's available in some modes, and really allows players to kind of learn as they're being killed -- learn how the enemy is killing them, taking advantage of them..."

Oh okay... That's good. One person I know says that killcams should be in the game, so I guess they're pretty happy about that.

But seriously, if medals aren't in the final game, I'm going to be pissed.

Medals are going to be in the final game.

So its a crutch?
Of all the things Halo 4 is adopting from CoD, killcams are very near the bottom of the list of things I am concerned about. I find it weird they're in some modes, but not others, and I wish we had explanation of these and so many other things rather than relying on conflicting information and hapless journalist impressions, but killcams really don't do that much harm, unless you're a camo sniper, in which case you deserve what's coming to you.

Networking is very complicated, and I couldn't explain much in one post (not that my knowledge is ideal), but:
The more clients you have in a peer to peer connection, the more state-data needs to be transmitted to the host. Halo networks a lot of data, from position vectors, player states, button presses, and even predictive states, increasing the player count drastically increases the BW required keep a game running smoothly. Think relatively low polynomial (1<degree<2). So quadrupling the player count from 16 to 64 could increase the bandwidth by around 32 times. I don't know enough about netcode to be able to offer anything precise, but it's almost infeasible to raise the player count.

Other games can do it because they are built around higher player counts.

Naturally, dedicated host servers voids my entire post.

This is basically the best way I've heard it explained in simple terms. I also think console power and engine limitations are currently an issue with the player counts.

Basically it'd be great if next gen the big two out a way to have unified dedicated servers for their services rather than relying on publishers like EA who drop support relatively often.

Blissful

Neo Member
Once again no info on a skill based rank system.

Will hold out on preordering this game until I hear something about it. It is a shame too because so far the game looks very promising but I cannot have another reach esque game where I am either getting absolutely destroyed or playing people that have just started playing halo.

I feel that 343 is holding back on this information because they know it will cause a lot of backlash. They will just let us know that they didn't find a solution to introducing a skill based ranking system a week before release, in hopes that you already pre-ordered the game. It would be a very sneaky move on their end and I am disappointed that a new company I "beli343ed" in is already shitting on all my hopes of bringing back a skill-based ranking system.

IHaveIce

Banned
Once again no info on a skill based rank system.

Will hold out on preordering this game until I hear something about it. It is a shame too because so far the game looks very promising but I cannot have another reach esque game where I am either getting absolutely destroyed or playing people that have just started playing halo.

I feel that 343 is holding back on this information because they know it will cause a lot of backlash. They will just let us know that they didn't find a solution to introducing a skill based ranking system a week before release, in hopes that you already pre-ordered the game. It would be a very sneaky move on their end and I am disappointed that a new company I "beli343ed" in is already shitting on all my hopes of bringing back a skill-based ranking system.

seriously guys? Of course after an ending embargo the focus will be on campaign.

Ranks are probably still tweaked (if they exist) and will be one of the last thing we will hear.

Didn't BsAngel already said this kind of stuff is more fitted as news for the last couple of weeks before launch?

Dude, be for real. If you are on a videogames forum saying you might not buy game x if the developer doesn't do y, you are going to buy that game.

I do wish they'd just come out and say "there will be no ranking system of any kind", but I'm still gonna buy the game regardless.

And so are you, chip.

DesertFox

Cool so we can stop talking about it until then?
i kid, i kid :)

After this last news reveal I completely disagree with you. I think that we've essentially "pulled off the band-aid" and now we're actually going to get some cool shit ie Dominion, Campaign and Spartan ops footage

I thought we were going to get SR-1-50 that was EXP based, and maybe something else, but look at the deathcams in the videos.

As well as SR-2 there is also a visual level (private I think?), which used to indicate EXP rank in Reach as well as H3. It would be redundant to have two EXP systems. So I'm THINKING there are 50 EXP ranks to go through as well as SR1-50 which is skill based.

just a guess

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cool so we can stop talking about it until then?
i kid, i kid :)
I agree with this sentiment, even if you say you're kidding.

The game is 45 days out from release, if there is a visual skill-based ranking system, there is. If there isn't, then there just isn't. The games not getting any additional features added to its existing state at this point.

My guess is the reason for them keeping us in the dark with Ranks is either A) There is no ranking system or B) There wasn't going to be a ranking system but they realized a lot of people want one, and its one of the last things they're working on getting implemented. Here's to hoping B.

Me too. Verges on unbelievable.

Let's take a look at how far we've come since the start of this gen...

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2005/11/23/perfect-dark-zero-20051123110155568-1324082.jpg[img][/QUOTE]PDZ is beyond bullshots.

[quote="ViewtifulJC, post: 42386878"]One of the only thing I don't like is further confirmation of those [I]"cinematic" first-person things[/I], like being in an elevator and dodging debris and shit. Fun the first time, boring every time afterwards, and as much as Halo campaigns value variety and sandbox combat that make them so replayable, these CoD-esque action cutscenes do nothing but harm that variation in playability.[/QUOTE]I agree, I've never really been the biggest fan of the scriptathon shooter design method even if they can be nice from time to time. Sure they're awesome the very first time you go through it, but I like my games feeling more than a tightly choreographed scene y'know? Replays only serve to reveal the man behind the curtain in most cases. Hopefully they're not too prevalent.

My guess is the reason for them keeping us in the dark with Ranks is either A) There is no ranking system or B) There wasn't going to be a ranking system but they realized a lot of people want one, and its one of the last things they're working on getting implemented. Here's to hoping B.

Or they just don't care enough to implement one.

Top Bottom