• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

2329457-h4_campaign_dawn_establishing_01_copy.jpg

On first glance I thought this was concept art.

JackHerer

Wow just waking up to all the new stuff.

First of all the game is looking absolutely amazing on a visual level. That alone makes me psyched to play it.

Campaign gameplay looks quite intense and fun. I love the 3 way battles between Chief, Covenant, and the Prometheans.

New MP map Solace looks pretty good. Probably the most promising map so far.

New Dominion mode looks kinda fun if a little unbalanced. As someone who did not like Invasion very much this looks better. I am definitely foreseeing a lot of extremely one-sided matches online though (like what we see in Invasion now). Definitely not a "serious" gametype but a decent addition I guess.

Glad to hear that Classic Playlists are still in but I'm still wondering: how classic are these classic playlists? No armor abilities and set weapon spawns classic? Hopefully, but it doesn't sound like it.

Beyond matchmaking details and maybe a few surprises we can't anticipate, what's left to reveal? MP maps and new vehicles?

zap

The Dominion gametype on Longbow looked so... ridiculous. There were SO many power weapons on that map. I'm hoping it's because 343 wants to show off all the weapons and the map is set up for more players than there were on it.

Woorloog

Banned
It is indeed a good sign when it becomes difficult to differentiate between concept art and in-game...

I love how Halo 4's in-game art is very, very close to concept art.
Rarely this is the case in games, i usually find concept art better than the actual game environments etc.

GhaleonEB

Holy fuck I woke up and saw the description for Dominion and I'm so happy right now etc

Now hopefully it's playlist isn't a barren wasteland because it's an objective gametype

It does some interesting things. I've only seen one video of it and not read any descriptions. But giving the team that's getting their ass kicked - losing all the territories bases - overshields is kind of a mercy balance call. Since the bases get upgraded over time the game will become increasingly lopsided. But even losing teams will be able to bag some kills that way. Toss in kill cams and such, and it may have more appeal than other straight up objective games. The piles of heavy ordnance laying about reminded me of Invasion, which should also help.

The enforced rules - locking dudes in the base until they re-captured it - will make it play more clearly. That particular detail reminded me of the decision to lock flag carriers into being, um, flag carriers. 343 is really pushing roles and goals in objective games. Capture the base...oh and by the way you can't leave until you do. Carry the flag...and keep carrying it. Clearly aimed at making them have more appeal and be more easy to understand for the masses. But here they're doing it in the context of a more complex game type than CTF, so it feels more necessary than it was in CTF.

Good stuff. So the known game types are:

Slayer
Capture the Flag
Oddball
Regicide
Dominion

I want to say I read that King of the Hill was in, but I can't remember where. Is that just early morning Ghaleon fatigue? It's a more narrow set of game types, but they've all be heavily redesigned. I think that alone will really help simplify matchmaking a bit.

Alienups

How are cams holding the casual crowds hands? Most people do nothing with the info shown on killcams, especially "casual" folk. More high level folk could exploit the system.

Yup, it's the same in high level TF2. Casual players in pub games do nothing with them but calling stuff out is a big part of comp TF2.

Does the killcam in Halo show you how much health your opponent had ?

Flipyap

It is indeed a good sign when it becomes difficult to differentiate between concept art and in-game...
It's not that surprising when half of the screenshot is taken up by a matte painting.

I'd really like to see a developer camera fly-through of that scene. I think there's some fun perspective bending going on around the main section you're supposed to see during gameplay.

Talents

Banned
Glad to hear that Classic Playlists are still in but I'm still wondering: how classic are these classic playlists? No armor abilities and set weapon spawns classic? Hopefully, but it doesn't sound like it.

To be truely 'classic' it would need no AA's, no sprint, no bloom, no recoil, able to juggle the flag, no perks, no specializations (I have no idea what specializations actually are) and nothing else they've decided to add. So yeah, I doubt they are going to be classic.

The enforced rules - locking dudes in the base until they re-captured it - will make it play more clearly.
I suspect they were mistaken about being locked in. I'm assuming, based on what I've heard/read, that the hardlight shields were installed by the previous occupants as they were upgrading, and it wasn't until the base was taken over that they were reset. But those shields only come in on the lower levels; if they'd gone upstairs there was probably a way out.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I suspect they were mistaken about being locked in. I'm assuming, based on what I've heard/read, that the hardlight shields were installed by the previous occupants as they were upgrading, and it wasn't until the base was taken over that they were reset. But those shields only come in on the lower levels; if they'd gone upstairs there was probably a way out.

I think that impression was based on a mistaken media member who didn't realize you can melee the shields open. :)

Omni

and I know I'm going to get hate for this, but in my opinion...

it's too... visually heavy; there's too much going on at the angle the screenshot was taken. It might be better in first person, but at the moment it looks hectic and poorly designed. Maybe if they made Requiem a bit further away and spread out the ships a little more, it would be a little easier on the eyes.

Actually, that might be my inner photographer speaking.

lybertyboy

Bwahahaha.

Will we get a clear 343 description of the Dominion rules? I'd love to have these kinds of details explained.

Match starts with no bases captured.

Take base.

Base upgrades with new weapons, fortifications and vehicle the longer you hold it.

Use those items to defend your base and take others.

Once a base is upgraded the other team can capture and take it over in its upgraded state. (Teams can recapture or steal a base at any time. Just using this as an example.)

First team to have bases captured for the set amount of points, wins the game.

It's BTB and crazy fun. Love seeing my bases defense turrets come online.

Bwahahaha.

Will we get a clear 343 description of the Dominion rules? I'd love to have these kinds of details explained.

this is really random but that question just reminded me, are we getting an actual game manual with this game? I know alot of games have just opted out to essentially nothing, but i've always liked looking at Halo's

Woorloog

Banned
Shielding and Hardlight Shield.
Hmm.
Maybe Dexterity as second perk. BR and Boltshot.
When your shields are low, Hardlight Shield, wait for recharge, then switch to Boltshot, charge it and kill your opponent.
This is assuming shots hitting Hardlight Shield do not reset shield recharge.

Need to start making loadout prototypes... Have a lot of ideas.

Omni

Take base.

Base upgrades with new weapons, fortifications and vehicle the longer you hold it.

Once a base is upgraded the other team can capture and take it over in its upgraded state. (Teams can recapture or steal a base at any time. Just using this as an example.)

Not sure if you've answered this, but is the gametype 'forgeable'?

JackHerer

Another thought I had: Boltshot looks quite powerful for a side arm with its 1 hit kill charge. Is there any reason whatsoever to choose the Magnum over the Boltshot? It seems to be totally inferior.

You left out the weirdness that occurs when all three bases are held by one team!

Another thought I had: Boltshot looks quite powerful for a side arm with it's 1 hit kill charge. Is there any reason whatsoever to choose the Magnum over the Boltshot? It seems to be totally inferior.
As far as I understand it, the main benefit of the Magnum is it has the quickest draw and reload in the game. Fastest gun in the west.

FyreWulff

Take base.

Goddamn, that's pretty much what I wanted with that gametype concept. Sign me up.

You left out the weirdness that occurs when all three bases are held by one team!

This shouldnt happen if players are matched up by skill :)

Oh yeah, when all bases are held by a single team, the other team goes into Last Man Standing mode. They are out of respawns, but have over shields. The only way to get back in the game is to recapture a base. If they all die without doing that the game ends. The team with the bases is the winner, regardless of score.

So no kill farming? Sounds good in theory.

lybertyboy

Oh yeah, when all bases are held by a single team, the other team goes into Last Man Standing mode. They are out of respawns, but have over shields. The only way to get back in the game is to recapture a base. If they all die without doing that the game ends. The team with the bases is the winner, regardless of score.

You sunk my battleship.

wHNp96NMOeoe6tcprkHazkKTo1_500.png

But seriously, this game-type sounds uber-fun. The next Invasion?

Woorloog

Banned
As far as I understand it, the main benefit of the Magnum is it has the quickest draw and reload in the game. Fastest gun in the west.

Also, the Magnum can headshot, unlike the Boltshot (as far as i know anyway). I hope the Boltshot cannot headshot, because that way the Magnum still has some use.
Still, i know i won't be using the Magnum, i'd rather take Dexterity and either the Plasma Pistol or Boltshot.

FyreWulff

Dom King of the Hill

Forge a map that has one base in the center to act as a hill.. Give it only a turret that can be built. Whoever is in control of the hill long enough captures the turret, which pings the other team. The other team must destroy the turret or recapture the hill to switch the turret to their side.

edit:

I should refresh more.

Dom King of the Mammoth

Forge a map that has one Mammoth in the center to act as a hill.. Give it only a turret that can be built. Whoever is in control of the Mammoth long enough captures the turret, which pings the other team. The other team must destroy the turret or recapture the Mammoth to switch the turret to their side.

Fix'd. This would be the best game-type EVER!

Good, now we don't have to sit through a whole game of one team donging until the cap time runs up.

Top Bottom