• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

FyreWulff

Fix'd. This would be the best game-type EVER!

If the Mammoth is in multi and is anything like the Elephant, then in theory, Forged objects should 'glue' to it.

But capturing Mammoths that get upgraded defenses like capital ships is so awesome that it basically means it can never be in the game now.

Woorloog

Banned
NVM, somehow had old reply still open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVjuTaODvc&feature=player_detailpage#t=309s

Regeneration field looks kinda cheap here. It restores shields really fast. Recharge rate is about 30 seconds or so it seems. Definitely a bit worrying.

Also re: boltshot - I always assumed it was headshot capable but I don't know for sure.
Argh, i hate Regen in Halo 3... Really hope it isn't as bad in Halo 4 but i doubt that.

As for the Boltshot, considering it has shotgun blast as a secondary, it is hard to belive it could headshot as well.

I think I'm about to get on the hype train. I think this is the first press release where I've actually enjoyed everything I've seen feelsgoodman.jpg (didn't look at any campaign though)

I'm hoping for some more solace gameplay as the day goes on, but other than that CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARDDD

G17

I hope the kill cam stays in Dominion, wouldn't suit slayer and still looks out of place in a halo game for me.

If the Mammoth is in multi and is anything like the Elephant, then in theory, Forged objects should 'glue' to it.

But capturing Mammoths that get upgraded defenses like capital ships is so awesome that it basically means it can never be in the game now.

Don't tell Sage—oh wait.

In Halo 3, Objective items (notably respawn points and hill points) were affected by physics. I think it's not true in Reach, even if you set them to normal physics.

Does not compute.
F72A.png

I like the capturing method on Dominion, in that it only takes a few seconds for you to initiate the capturing, and then there's that 15 second defending section where you can move around and attack

Blueblur1

Man, I really wish I could have stayed home today and watched all this media. As soon as I get out of work, I'll be busy with a ton of other things. What bad timing. :p

FyreWulff

Don't tell Sage—oh wait.

In Halo 3, Objective items (notably respawn points and hill points) were affected by physics. I think it's not true in Reach, even if you set them to normal physics.

Only if they were on the Elephant. If you put them on something moving, they wouldn't move after you saved the map and exited Forge. If you placed them on the Elephant, then they would stay with it and move with it.

In Reach and possibly Halo 4, they have the ability to actually attach objects to each other in Megalo, like the flags on your back in Speedflag and Speedpile.

Oh yeah, when all bases are held by a single team, the other team goes into Last Man Standing mode. They are out of respawns, but have over shields. The only way to get back in the game is to recapture a base. If they all die without doing that the game ends. The team with the bases is the winner, regardless of score.
This comment (and the corresponding gameplay vid) sounds like a big effort to alleviate one of the reasons why people quit out; no chance of coming back to win an objective game. Despite the gametype name, there is an undercurrent of "not all is lost" even when the other team, well, dominates. Sounds extremely interesting in theory, and the gameplay clips are a nice reinforcement of that feeling. Can't wait to either see an unedited game, or just to get my grubby paws on it. Whichever comes first, I'll be that much happier.

Only if they were on the Elephant. If you put them on something moving, they wouldn't move after you saved the map and exited Forge. If you placed them on the Elephant, then they would stay with it and move with it.

In Reach and possibly Halo 4, they have the ability to actually attach objects to each other in Megalo, like the flags on your back in Speedflag and Speedpile.

Oh, is that how it worked? Cool.

I could actually see this working... I doubt we could do it as Forgers, though.

Actually, come to think of it. If this game-mode is forgable, which will assume to be true, then we will be able to place markers for weapons, vehicles, shield walls, turrets, etc. If we could bind the actual hill/territory entity to the Mammoth, then... Yes. Just yes,

Swarmerr

Once again no info on a skill based rank system.

Will hold out on preordering this game until I hear something about it. It is a shame too because so far the game looks very promising but I cannot have another reach esque game where I am either getting absolutely destroyed or playing people that have just started playing halo.

I like the capturing method on Dominion, in that it only takes a few seconds for you to initiate the capturing, and then there's that 15 second defending section where you can move around and attack
Yep. Basically it's long enough so that it won't change hands constantly unless players are able to commit to the capture and not just dive in and trade a death for it.

FyreWulff

Oh, is that how it worked? Cool.

I could actually see this working... I doubt we could do it as Forgers, though.

Actually, come to think of it. If this game-mode is forgable, which will assume to be true, then we will be able to place markers for weapons, vehicles, shield walls, turrets, etc. If we could bind the actual hill/territory entity to the Mammoth, then... Yes. Just yes,

If it's anything like Reach Forge, you could it yourself by labeling the Mammoth as DOM_BASE or something in the object editor. Then if the other markers are hill points and it acts like the Elephant, you'd drop them onto the Mammoth, label them, save and then they'd weld themselves to the mammoth.

I have definitely had my concerns with some of the choices 343 has made MP wise. On the flip side I have been pretty much completely dark on the campaign/Spartan Ops side of things and those GTTV segments kinda got me all hot and bothered.....

Omni

The legendary logo... why change it? Why feel the need to tinker so strongly with something so good?

I think that one of the reasons for the redesign was simply because the Elites and the Covenant weren't the biggest threat to the player any more, it's the Prometheans/Forerunner/etc.

Why is the aft end of the FuD suddenly like 80x the size it should be?

Hell, this section almost as big as the entire aft end should be.
Haha, I noticed this. Scale has always been out in Halo games... Hell, look at CE for example. Final run takes the player in a warthog jumping giant gaps and travelling numerous KMs when in reality the PoA was a solid structure and no where near as long.

Woorloog

Banned

The Dawn is nearly half a kilometer in length, don't remember height and width. That's quite large really, the Nimitz-class carriers are some 300 meters in lenght and they look enormous in images i've seen.

Frankly, the ship was too small in Halo 3, i think, compared to its canonical size. But don't take my word on it, it's just that i don't remember it being that big.

TheOddOne

I think that one of the reasons for the redesign was simply because the Elites and the Covenant weren't the biggest threat to the player any more, it's the Prometheans/Forerunner/etc.
Pretty much the only reason to change it. The Elites were the big baddies, now it's something else.

FyreWulff

Gameplay reasons / forced perspective.

The hog run at the end of Halo 1 is something like 2-3 times the actual length of the Pillar of Autumn.

Yep. Basically it's long enough so that it won't change hands constantly unless players are able to commit to the capture and not just dive in and trade a death for it.

For better or worse, the objective game design seems to really be focusing on the goals and building the gametypes around them. When you pick up the flag, you're holding on to that damn thing until you die or capture it. When you capture a base, you need to actually dedicate yourself to it

Gameplay reasons / forced perspective.

The hog run at the end of Halo 1 is something like 2-3 times the actual length of the Pillar of Autumn.
I know that, it also makes no sense at all, but that was 2001 and that game was rushed. I honestly thought we were past this kind of thing.

Karl2177

I'm so glad the media was very clear with what was presented. There's a lot more positivity when it is clear and we aren't scrounging around 12 different sources for information.

willow ve

There is so much content floating around right now. Anyone have a master list of what has been released since the embargo was lifted?

itstoomuchdoublerainbow.psd

Also, dominion looks like a really great mashup of BTB and Invasion... or a way to eliminate round based objective games in big team.

Flipyap

The legendary logo... why change it? Why feel the need to tinker so strongly with something so good?

Eh, it was outdated anyway. It's been years since Elites last had heads that skull could fit inside.
That skull also implies that they were once able to close their mandibles and weren't always space mouth-breathers, and that just won't do.

Beckx

Whoa. In the IGN Domination video, what's that little white sparkly thing that goes streaking across the playfield at 1:25?

Omni

All this talk made me play the final level of Halo 3 again...

I hate Bungie for killing Johnson! I really hope 343i made some kind of crazy canonical decision to bring him back, (Primordium spoiler)
similar to what happened to the guy in Primordium that became 343GS
even if it's a bit far fetched. He was an awesome character..

Where am I supposed to get my witty one liners now?! MC isn't funny. Cortana is witty, but it's not the same.

One of the only thing I don't like is further confirmation of those "cinematic" first-person things, like being in an elevator and dodging debris and shit. Fun the first time, boring every time afterwards, and as much as Halo campaigns value variety and sandbox combat that make them so replayable, these CoD-esque action cutscenes do nothing but harm that variation in playability.

Been busy at work, just looked at some of this stuff, talk about information overload. I drank too much coffee I think, my brain is buzzing with excitement. My associates are going to think I got laid last night...I didn't get laid last night.

Top Bottom