• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

senador

Banned
they said that we dont want a halo game... I'm pretty sure i want a Halo game. equal balanced spawns, skill over perks/AAs/Specializations. Not all the hand holding with the HUD and the Natifications.

but Im just a consumer, What do i know about a series i've been a major fan of for 11 years?

Well, you obviously misconstrued what they said.

Havok

Anyway, kinda sucks MP is clearly taking the back seat at this point. Oh well, the particle effects are pretty. :_|
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. It doesn't seem like the multiplayer is getting any less attention, just that the campaign finally is getting the attention and focus it deserves. I mean, if they really knock it out of the park, then that's a big win for them. Whatever my feelings are on the myriad changes to the multiplayer that they're making, feelings which are well documented at this point, it looks like a fun game.

To your point below, they're marketing the material that's gonna generate the most buzz, that won't cause a riot like the multiplayer footage did.

Gui_PT

Sequence_01_1.gif

It's ok, this is making it larger already

Oh... you mean the gif...

E: Damn you edited

Ryaaan14

Banned
What makes you think that?

Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that every single video we've gotten since E3 talks about campaign?

Oh, we did get the dubstep video showing human weapons.

343 may just be super efficient and relying on the community to formulate their MP pre-release marketing. I honestly haven't seen so much fucking offscreen footage so late in a game's development cycle. The stuff we're seeing today should have been stuff we saw at E3 (although I suppose it practically is).

"...there's nothing really revolutionary, and I think that's important, because I think really good design is evolutionary, not revolutionary."

"I think at some points we got in our heads with this game that we're just going to make another Halo. I don't think that's what people want. They may THINK they want that, but what they really want is something that speaks to the things that they love but then provides them with something new."

Two back to back quotes that I feel are very contradictory.

I put them together and I get that its definitely a step in a different direction from all the previous games that shared very similar traits, but its not different enough to lose its original charm and the general gameplay/story elements that fans know and love.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
"...there's nothing really revolutionary, and I think that's important, because I think really good design is evolutionary, not revolutionary."

"I think at some points we got in our heads with this game that we're just going to make another Halo. I don't think that's what people want. They may THINK they want that, but what they really want is something that speaks to the things that they love but then provides them with something new."

Anyway, kinda sucks MP is clearly taking the back seat at this point. Oh well, the particle effects are pretty. :_|

I LOVE that line right there. He's right on the fuckin money.

o DeathCubeK o

Neo Member
I put them together and I get that its definitely different from halo 1-reach, but its not different enough to lose its original charm and the general gameplay/story elements that fans know and love.
This, times a lot. I enjoyed the subtle changes to the game while keeping things very Halo. Maybe a new element thrown in the cogs of gameplay like equipment but still VERY halo. Then Reach happened.

Halo has need had bloom, really slow movement speed, super broken melees, or really short jump height, why change ALL of that?

Halo 4 is taking a step in the right direction with fixing all of that. I haven't played the game yet but it feels like two steps back already. Allowing jet pack in again? Reusable Regens? Those two would have made awesome one time use/wait for respawn equipments.

I will fully reserve my judgement for when H4 drops because frankly, almost anything is better than Reach. I'm still excited for this game. I do think not having a public beta was an awful idea. I foresee sooooo many hot fixes and patches.

Lingitiz

I don't really think that's contradictory at all. Revolutionary is changing everything you know to the point where its totally different and breaking convention, while evolutionary is taking what's you love and improving upon it with new ideas.

789shadow

Banned
This game looks like sex. I'm pretty sure that multiplayer balance was in fact sacrificed to Lord Molag Bal in order to obtain these visuals.

But Halo 4 isn't speaking to the things I love about Halo. Its speaking to the things I hated about Reach.

:/

edit: well if he's talking about campaign then I understand. if he's talking about the whole game...well..uh..

Damn Im being nit-picky tonight

It eats at me that the Blue protein knights carry weapons with orange accents

couldnt they of given them that had a skin which made the lights blue instead?

again, I have zeroooooo idea how easy/difficult that would be to do

looks like someone hasn't heard of the broncos.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sick! The weapons look super powerful when coming together, like they are resisting it. The way they look like they are under pressure and Chief's arm shaking, its just perfect. That's nuts.

BTW, that "initial" super long animation only happens the very first time you ever pick up the weapon - subsequent pickups and reloads are normal speed.

Also the "contradictory" statements are simply semantics. You could have an artist talk about revolutionary in the same sequence, meaning the same thing and simply expressing it differently. This is our NARRATIVE director talking about the evolution of story - it's a direct sequel to Halo 3 - a REVOLUTIONARY story would be the tale of Sgt. Johnson's college years with no sci-fi and no cinematics, just a series of arthouse experiences where you flail around in the darkness trying to find your Oddball bong. People know this of course, but when semantics or metaphors become the focus of conversations instead of the content, ITGRINDSMYGEARS.GIF - especially when fully grown adults actually know better.

And of course this vidoc is focused on Campaign, it's a Campaign vidoc, there will be more MP stuff coming.

DeadNames

Banned
BTW, that "initial" super long animation only happens the very first time you ever pick up the weapon - subsequent pickups and reloads are normal speed.

And of course this vidoc is focused on Campaign, it's a Campaign vidoc, there will be more MP stuff coming.

ETA on that newly confirmed MP Vidoc?

like i'm looking at the boltok boltshot and the light rifle and I see totally rad weapons that fulfill two different roles pretty well and im like "where's the balance"

where's the balance, you guys

I see the LR as sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. Plus the boltshot doesn't really look too strong :p.

Pistol can headshot, PP can EMP.

like i'm looking at the boltok boltshot and the light rifle and I see totally rad weapons that fulfill two different roles pretty well and im like "where's the balance"

where's the balance, you guys

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Soooo.... Is this the first time you pick it up in the Campaign, or in the mission? What about MP, does it occur there as well?

He said ever bro. And there's no way that shit is in MP

edit: And I don't mean shit as in the animation is shit because it's fuckin beautiful.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Damn Im being nit-picky tonight

It eats at me that the Blue protein knights carry weapons with orange accents

couldnt they of given them that had a skin which made the lights blue instead?

again, I have zeroooooo idea how easy/difficult that would be to do

It is plot related, not tech related. Stay tuned. And by stay tuned, I mean, 'til Nov 6th, or 4th if your name is Serge Robspierre.

Soooo.... Is this the first time you pick it up in the Campaign, or in the mission? What about MP, does it occur there as well?

Campaign.

CyReN

Wanted to wait until I saw more about the new enemies but I'm on board now. This is the most hyped I've been for a campaign since H2.

For those that like my cutscene/gameplay only footage it's uploading now.

Havok

At 8:22 you can see what I think might be the first close-up look we've gotten of the Knight's energy shields: blue outlines and a slight shimmer. I've been wondering how they were going to handle damage feedback for those enemies. The tried and true method is fine by me.

in all my bitching about prommy weapon balance I do have to give 343 credit for the "where you deal the final damage is where the dissolving stars" detail because it's super cool

nillapuddin

It is plot related, not tech related. Stay tuned. And by stay tuned, I mean, 'til Nov 6th, or 4th if your name is Serge Robspierre.

Thanks, not a huge deal just seemed kinda off at first

I wasnt sure if changing the light color would even be possible/reasonable

doubt itd be worth the effort

Arnie

If that sphere opens and it's Mr Blobby inside I'm going to be livid. Although the possibility of pink and orange knights is a little bit naughty.

Top Bottom