• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

I've scanned some reviews, is the general gist of it being a 9 and not a 10:

- Some technical issues
- Some of game mechanics have not aged well for some of the games

I am not saying I agree with these, just what I gleaned from the reviews I've read.

Is there anything else for 'down scoring' it?

- I'm f***Ing sick of shooters

- I'm f***Ing sick of shooters

yNhd0uE.gif

Bsigg12

Can you say if it looks better than the H2A Campaign? Because it seems like H4 is the best looking of the bunch, even though its a straight port. It will be interesting to see what 343 does with H5 given that H4 looks almost like a straight up next gen title.

Yea I would say so because the geometry in the game is so much more complex and so I think it just looks better. The thing with 2A is even though all the textures and sounds are replaced, it still has to abide by 10 year old geometry so you end up with a great looking texture that's trying to add depth to a flat plane. I brought sound up because holy shit the weapons sound fantastic.

Halo was ground breaking when it was Released, and it was reviewed that way. Bottom line is halo is no longer ground breaking, so people shouldn't expect the reviews to be the same.
How dare you in any way speak unkindly about Halo.
Unless you are talking only about Halo 4 of course.

Madness

Halo was ground breaking when it was Released, and it was reviewed that way. Bottom line is halo is no longer ground breaking, so people shouldn't expect the reviews to be the same.

Thats a big problem with reviews of collections of old games. How can IGN review this any differently than they did the previous decade?

Also, I don't buy that it's a different time etc. I can watch a Citizen Kane and review it on its merits. I can watch Star Wars now and do the same. Only an idiot would give Star Wars a bad review now, saying it's special effects pale in comparison to 2014 etc.

They should be reviewing these games remembering when they released etc. You're not going to review a Mario Bros 3 re-release and say, Mario 3D Land is a million times better, it's no longer groundbreaking.

RamBoleyn

Banned
How much is this on Live (UK)? I don't want to pay over the odds but buying physical and not being able to pre-load that patch is ughhh

Booshka

Pre dissapointed there are framerate drops, hopefully its SP only

It is, split screen Campaign Co op in Anniversary mode has framerate issues. There is no Anniversary graphics for Halo CE, so that is fine for MP. Halo 2 has Classic graphics and gameplay which is locked 60, and H2A also looks to run very well in MP.

Navy Bean

Thats a big problem with reviews of collections of old games. How can IGN review this any differently than they did the previous decade?

Also, I don't buy that it's a different time etc. I can watch a Citizen Kane and review it on its merits. I can watch Star Wars now and do the same. Only an idiot would give Star Wars a bad review now, saying it's special effects pale in comparison to 2014 etc.

They should be reviewing these games remembering when they released etc. You're not going to review a Mario Bros 3 re-release and say, Mario 3D Land is a million times better, it's no longer groundbreaking.

It's an interesting dilemma for sure. I was initially going to disagree with you but I think you make some sense. How much do you take into account the time the game was made? Some reviewers did and others didn't. Also the reason GTAV and TLOU are bad comparisons.

BraXzy

I'm not sure how many Halo fans I have in my Friends List anymore so I wouldn't mind getting a fair few new GAFers added for custom games, multiplayer and campaign fun times :D

Add me and I'll add you back: AnX IReCoiLz

Can anyone answer me this:

How are customization options unlocked? I really want my duck bill Scout armor back. Also I saw some of those Halo 2 options back around RTX and want those too.

But, I am beyond hype for Halo. I didn't get to play Halo 2 online that much since I got LIVE the December of Halo 3's release. This game is going to destroy me, I have Tuesday through Thursday off and I'll probably call off on Monday just because hours are low and I have a sick day to waste.

If anyone wants to hop into BTB or Team Slayer, I'm more than welcoming: GT is Kyouko la Kill. Night one I'll be going until the sun rises.

How much do you take into account the time the game was made? Some reviewers did and others didn't. Also the reason GTAV and TLOU are bad comparisons.

It should matter. They are not taking an old games and making a review about it. This is a re-release. Charging full price for it, in the actual console generation. They should consider the value the game have right now. The factor "Do we need this?" should take part of the Review.

Of course, all of this, IMHO.

Bsigg12

Can anyone answer me this:

How are customization options unlocked? I really want my duck bill Scout armor back. Also I saw some of those Halo 2 options back around RTX and want those too.

But, I am beyond hype for Halo. I didn't get to play Halo 2 online that much since I got LIVE the December of Halo 3's release. This game is going to destroy me, I have Tuesday through Thursday off and I'll probably call off on Monday just because hours are low and I have a sick day to waste.

If anyone wants to hop into BTB or Team Slayer, I'm more than welcoming: GT is Kyouko la Kill. Night one I'll be going until the sun rises.

From what I was messing with, all armor is unlocked but you can't mix and match sets, unless I was missing something.

FDBMath

Alright guys, I got Morodor and Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe Edition on my X1. I'm ready to celebrate this week + MCC next week. Beating cancer never felt so good. :D

Edit: thanks to HeliosT10 for hooking me up with some DLC codes for Horizon 2. That is seriously one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. All my new friends today + this, I seriously want to cry. This is seriously the best week of my life (cancer free + games + all these friend adds).

Congrats! That is one of the best feelings ever! My wife just beat cancer this spring. F cancer!

LowerLevel

Alright guys, I got Morodor and Forza Horizon 2 Deluxe Edition on my X1. I'm ready to celebrate this week + MCC next week. Beating cancer never felt so good. :D

Edit: thanks to HeliosT10 for hooking me up with some DLC codes for Horizon 2. That is seriously one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. All my new friends today + this, I seriously want to cry. This is seriously the best week of my life (cancer free + games + all these friend adds).

Nice! Congrats fellow survivor and hope to see you online soon.

VinFTW

Am I the only one noticing some pretty crazy lag in spots?

games not out yet... I wouldn't think any of this is indicative of what it's going to be like post release, especially considering we don't know if this guy has a good connection or not. Regardless of dedicated servers if your internet sucks it's not going to matter.

clav

games not out yet... I wouldn't think any of this is indicative of what it's going to be like post release, especially considering we don't know if this guy has a good connection or not. Regardless of dedicated servers if your internet sucks it's not going to matter.

Game is technically out.

There aren't any connection bars in this one to tell. Looks like that was removed.

Matt

No, they shouldn't. Remember the main point of these reviews is to advise someone if they should buy and play the game. They wouldn't be playing the game in the past, they're playing it now, and therefore modern sensibilities should be taken into consideration.

Star Wars is a great movie, but if you were showing it to a kid who says "the special effects doesn't look as good as they do in today's movies," he wouldn't be WRONG. We can understand why and still appreciate them, but it the kid's point would not be untrue.

Slixshot

Banned
Game is technically out.

There aren't any connection bars in this one to tell. Looks like that was removed.

IHDbEyH.png

Game aint out till it's out. People have their hands on it, but that's not what most consider released.

holding out hope that they've got servers kickin in at launch or somethin

clav

http://i.imgur.com/IHDbEyH.png

Game aint out till it's out. People have their hands on it, but that's not what most consider released.

holding out hope that they've got servers kickin in at launch or somethin

Didn't we just preload the 15GB update?

This is it unless there will be another update before release.

Lagfest exists in Halo 1 and 3 from what I've seen so far.

danwarb

Didn't we just preload the 15GB update?

This is it unless there will be another update before release.

Lagfest exists in Halo 1 and 3 from what I've seen so far.

There aren't many players on yet. Probably spread out more so.

Xbone Twitch app is pretty good. Found the stream snapped.

Synth

It's an interesting dilemma for sure. I was initially going to disagree with you but I think you make some sense. How much do you take into account the time the game was made? Some reviewers did and others didn't. Also the reason GTAV and TLOU are bad comparisons.

I don't think he makes much sense imo. The games as they are today do not offer the same experience comparative to other current games, that the originals did compared to the games back then. The original Perfect Dark on N64 has a metacritic of 97. There is simply no chance that it would have scored that if originally that released today post-Halo and Half-Life 2. As a result the XBLA remake's metarating of 79 makes far more sense than the game's original score.

The reviews are supposed to inform buyers (of today) if they should spend their money (today) on it or not. How amazing it was back in 2001 has no bearing on this. I bought the Perfect Dark remake, because I already knew I'd love it. I've pre-ordered MCC because I already know I'll love it. The reviews are meaningless to me, and a DF article is honestly of more use. If someone wants to know how the games stacked up at their original release, they can simply read the old reviews. Copy/pasting those old reviews and scores to form the new review however, would just be stupid.

Despite all that though, I do think that reviews hitting without the matchmaking in place is silly. The campaign's whilst nice, are the least important aspects of the product review-wise as they could all have been played in some form by all of us yesterday if we wanted. Playing Halo 2 online, hasn't been a possibility for years however, and Halo CE online has been a real (so no, not XBConnect) possibility ever. These are the most valuable parts of the package.

Top Bottom