• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Open Beta to take place next week - June 13 to 20 [Up: Screenshots Leak]

Freeman76

Hopefully 343 arent too involved with this, the first one was a good game and 343 dont seem to understand what the fanbase of their games actually want. Fingers crossed.

AYF 001

Is it Xbox One only?

I still have to upgrade to Windows 10, but will move up my timeline a bit if it's on PC too.

Yes. Here's a better version of the image:

img_4841.jpg
Is that the Ark in the background? And those scarabs look like they're the size of small towns.

Only 4 more days...4 more days...

Zedox

That sucks for MS wouldn't be able excite users (who cares...lol)...but I personally don't care since I'm not that much of a RTS guy...but I'll try it out. I like free play. :)

E3 is leaking day by day...aka the usual.

Moa

Someone in the new preview os, should see the targeted platforms in the store.

View store option doesn't take you to the store listing, takes you to something called "Legdrop" by Legdrop Studios.

Doesn't say that its for Xbox & Windows 10.

As someone who didn't play the first Halo wars, and haven't played many RTS games, what do people think of the screens?

It's a bit more cartoony/stylised than I was expecting. Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing though.

shandy706

C7r1Y4J.jpg

Environments look really nice, love that there's actually grass and not just textures.

These HAVE to be Xbox One shots though. Those aren't PC shots.

Edit* If we get Age of Empires too, that would be amazing. I'm ready for the return of the RTS games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As someone who didn't play the first Halo wars, and haven't played many RTS games, what do people think of the screens?

It's a bit more cartoony/stylised than I was expecting. Not sure whether this is a good or bad thing though.

This is probably one of the best looking RTS games visually, especially when you adjust for this likely being the Xbox One version.

Units tend to be heavily stylized in RTS games so you can immediately tell what everything is when looking at a screen with 30 guys on it and quickly trying to determine what to do.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Daaaaaamn, this makes me want to already get the XB1 just to play this. I'm still waiting to see console news there at E3 though first.

Won't be a huge deal to miss this open beta since I know I will buy the game if they stay true to the first Halo Wars, but still.

Lee

7Kv8oor.jpg

Some very organic looking new units in the top right corner flying and the left of the middle on the ground. I don't think they're flood, but something new.

I'm really glad they're sticking with the Bungie UNSC art style rather than the 343 version which i think just completely ruined the theme of the designs, but what's with the non-smooth looking Covenant vehicles?

I'm just not feeling the art, TBH

In the greater context of the game, in motion, and scale it may all pull together. But as screens I'm just not feeling it.

RTS standards are different, IMO. Can't go into this expecting it to look like a AAA TPS or what have you, it needs to be clean enough to be able to process what's going on the screen, which is a LOT at any given moment. Tons of units, tons of fire. By those standards, this looks pretty great. I'd give the air units (that tentacle'd thing) a more prominent shadow, but other than that, I've got no complaints, visually.

I'm really glad they're sticking with the Bungie UNSC art style rather than the 343 version which i think just completely ruined the theme of the designs, but what's with the non-smooth looking Covenant vehicles?

Brutes, bro.

Anyway, I like the 343 styles, but storywise we're following the Spirit of Fire, which is still using decades-old tech.

Hawk269

Loved the first game and when 2 was announced it blew my mind. Was actually expecting a beta but not day and date with the MS presser. Great news and those screens look great. Just need to see the UI now.

gurvir93

Neo Member
7Kv8oor.jpg

Some very organic looking new units in the top right corner flying and the left of the middle on the ground. I don't think they're flood, but something new.

It may be one of the healer things from HW1, but looks interesting for sure, flood would be intense!

I can't wait! Leakers, why you got to do MS like that?

Also, is the Creative Assembly good at making RTS games?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Assembly#Games

They made total war series which is quite popular, especially the newest warhammer iteration.

Top Bottom