• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Open Beta to take place next week - June 13 to 20 [Up: Screenshots Leak]

UNSC's post-3 aesthetic works for me. They're a postwar power, newly resurgent and able to apply and spread their tech around. Compare/contrast US styles and technology before and after WWII. All signs point to them being pretty struggle again after 5, so if it's the desperate, cobbled-together and losing UNSC you're desperate for, you'll probably get it :p

AP90

I'm in as well. Hopefully they also will offer it on PC or threw the store. Or have mouse and keyboard support for it through the xbox

This is really disappointing. I don't like the art style at all. They've changed the design aesthetic of the UNSC and Covenant units so much that it hardly looks like the Halo universe I used to love.

Obviously, RTS games need to have 'readable' visuals for gameplay purposes, but they've clearly made a conscious decision to go well beyond what is required and adopt a cartoony art style. I don't even like it as a 'colourful' art style - it looks very poor compared to the unit designs in StarCraft or the stylised rendered in Planetary Annihilation.

I understand that a lot of people like colourful chunky aesthetics but for me the Halo setting is the USP and they're diluting it so much it looks like a GameLoft title, certainly not the same universe as ODST or Halo 2. I might as well just play Command & Conquer.

What?

This game looks more like traditional Halo than Halo 4 or 5. Look at the Marines, the Spartans, Elites, grunts and even the Pelicans are all the original Bungie versions and not the horrible 343 versions.

I'd definitely be interested in trying out Halo Wars 2. The last RTS I played was literally Halo Wars. I used to be into RTS games like Command and Conquer and StarCraft, but have fallen out of favor with me some time ago.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'd definitely be interested in trying out Halo Wars 2. The last RTS I played was literally Halo Wars. I used to be into RTS games like Command and Conquer and StarCraft, but have fallen out of favor with me some time ago.

You should get the starter edition for SC2 if you dont already. Its free and you can play both vs others and vs AI + the coop missions i believe.

1v1, 2v2, and 3v3, are all must haves of course like last time. Any other modes people want to see?

That Reinforcement mode they added shortly after launch was pretty cool

Woorloog

Banned
While i've given up on Halo in general, i may give this (well, full version if the beta won't be on PC) a try.
IF it won't use Windows store and that UWP thing. If it does, i'm out.

Looks nice for sure.

cartesian

UNSC's post-3 aesthetic works for me. They're a postwar power, newly resurgent and able to apply and spread their tech around. Compare/contrast US styles and technology before and after WWII. All signs point to them being pretty struggle again after 5, so if it's the desperate, cobbled-together and losing UNSC you're desperate for, you'll probably get it :p
I don't want to veer too far off-topic, but I've always thought 343's depiction of the UNSC as a booming post-war superpower was totally naive. The US-WW2 comparison doesn't really work because the US mainland wasn't constantly bombed, its cities reduced to rubble, its industries starved of resources, and its economy overwhelmed by war debts. A better comparison would be postwar Britain - if it hadn't had American loans it totally relied upon to stay afloat.

The UNSC has seen the majority of its planets systematically destroyed and turned to glass one by one, including an orbital bombardment of Earth that killed around 7 billion people. The whole colonial administration infrastructure has been completely destroyed. The bulk of interstellar trade has been completely destroyed. Earth itself is barren. And whatever's left over has been stuck on an all-consuming total war footing for over 25 years. You just don't bounce back from that, Forerunner technology or no.

1v1, 2v2, and 3v3, are all must haves of course like last time. Any other modes people want to see?

That Reinforcement mode they added shortly after launch was pretty cool

Multi team. 2v2v2. I hope they bring back deathmatch as well. I love standard but deathmatch was good for quick games.

Holy crap get ready ladies and gentleman!

DO27SHZ.png

(Not my picture)

While i've given up on Halo in general, i may give this (well, full version if the beta won't be on PC) a try.
IF it won't use Windows store and that UWP thing. If it does, i'm out.

Looks nice for sure.

I mean it 100% will use Windows Store so that's a non starter. As nice as it would be to have it on Steam there's no way it will be

I don't want to veer too far off-topic, but I've always thought 343's depiction of the UNSC as a booming post-war superpower was totally naive. The US-WW2 comparison doesn't really work because the US mainland wasn't constantly bombed, its cities reduced to rubble, its industries starved of resources, and its economy overwhelmed by war debts. A better comparison would be postwar Britain - if it hadn't had American loans it totally relied upon to stay afloat.

The UNSC has seen the majority of its planets systematically destroyed and turned to glass one by one, including an orbital bombardment of Earth that killed around 7 billion people. The whole colonial administration infrastructure has been completely destroyed. The bulk of interstellar trade has been completely destroyed. Earth itself is barren. And whatever's left over has been stuck on an all-consuming total war footing for over 25 years. You just don't bounce back from that, Forerunner technology or no.

This isn't actually true, though. Glassing only happened to a relatively small handful of worlds, at least the complete version. The UNSC suffered massively, but many (maybe even most) worlds were relatively untouched; the Covenenant skipped a whole lotta planets when they hit Earth, and after Earth, the war was over. There was still plenty of infrastructure to build on. Take that, add in captured Covenant tech, and reverse engineered Forerunner tech, and you have a pretty solid setup for a boom.

I mean, everybody's free to dislike the aesthetic for aesthetic reasons, but it's backed by lore, at least.

jelly

Yeah, it's rather odd and a bit boring. They got kicked to dust, won the war against the odds, now lets pull a superfleet out our arses and rampage through the universe like our old selves millions of years ago. Bit lame to be honest, like an excuse to have new toys although we don't get too many 343 on either side! and Universe ending plots.

One thing worth noting is that all the screens still only show 2 factions. Humans and Covenant. That's cool with me but I was really hoping they would get a 3rd playable one in there for variety.

Maybe this build the leaked screens are from just doesn't have the other faction, if there is one, playable

Caja 117

Great!!!!!I never get to play more than the campaing, but I did like the campaign and those CGI were very impressive for its time.

SOR5

The art style is very "Halo", I love it

343i, im always willing to give you daps, but your art style is like ripping the green pipes and mushrooms out of Mario, something feels missing all the time.

Jelly as fuck of all the bone owners out there.

Do you not own a PC? Win 10+Xbox are effectively merging together under an Xbox platform

Kalentan

This isn't actually true, though. Glassing only happened to a relatively small handful of worlds, at least the complete version. The UNSC suffered massively, but many (maybe even most) worlds were relatively untouched; the Covenenant skipped a whole lotta planets when they hit Earth, and after Earth, the war was over. There was still plenty of infrastructure to build on. Take that, add in captured Covenant tech, and reverse engineered Forerunner tech, and you have a pretty solid setup for a boom.

I mean, everybody's free to dislike the aesthetic for aesthetic reasons, but it's backed by lore, at least.

Just face it. It's change, and people don't like change. Even when it makes sense.

The art style is very "Halo", I love it

343i, im always willing to give you daps, but your art style is like ripping the green pipes and mushrooms out of Mario, something feels missing all the time.

Do you not own a PC? Win 10+Xbox are effectively merging together under an Xbox platform

I dislike their armor design but most of their environments are nice. They have the best rocks, the best.

_woLf

There are no words to describe how excited I am for another Halo game that doesn't involve the stupid fucking prometheans.

Top Bottom