• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Open Beta to take place next week - June 13 to 20 [Up: Screenshots Leak]

CryptiK

It's literally a beta.
Yeah the word Beta lost all meaning to me. Games these days don't use the word BETA correctly at all. If this were a true Beta it'd be feature complete and final art and pure bug testing and feedback. So what you see now is what will be released + fixes and balance. Unlike say the Gears 4 Beta which was really kind of an alpha because it wasnt feature complete and it had missing assets.

BETA is a nothing word it can mean a stupid amount of things ranging from Alpha to Demo.

So when you say literally a Beta, I dont believe you. And I treat it as a majority of Beta's in this industry.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If this were a true Beta it'd be feature complete and final art and pure bug testing and feedback.

We don't know whats missing and not in this game.

It could be early beta client, it could be to test servers, find bugs or all of them.

Beta just usually means late stage to early release candidate or first public available client.
However the word beta is so miss used these days nobody knows for sure, but saying it looks bad is just wrong.
You can say you don't like the art style, but its not bad looking for a RTS game at all.

[Probably also compressed store images]

You don't like it?
I think it looks great.
It looks way too clean. The environments look like they just came out of the cleaners. Why do the rocks have a minimalist texture? Why does the forerunner structure have no wear and lack any kind of dirt? It's so unlike Bungie's forerunner architecture. The vehicles look alright to me it's just the environments and lighting.

Am I the only one who dislikes the art design? Covies are all jagged now, and the UNSC looks like even more basic space marines. Perhaps it's only the brutes that have jagged vehicles? Are they their own faction/sub-faction? Anyways, was hoping the different armies would look more distinct.

It's easy:
UNSC: normal futuristic human weaponry
Covenant: Sleek, shiny, religious alien stuff
Brutes: Space barbarians

Don''t get me wrong, I'm still excited for the game, just think they kind of missed on the art direction a bit.

Fotos

It looks way too clean. The environments look like they just came out of the cleaners. Why do the rocks have a minimalist texture? Why does the forerunner structure have no wear and lack any kind of dirt? It's so unlike Bungie's forerunner architecture. The vehicles look alright to me it's just the environments and lighting.

It seems similar to 343's art style which I don't really like and is usually inconsistent. Overall I think it looks good though I don't think I look too much at detail when playing HW or any RTS really.

CryptiK

We don't know whats missing and not in this game.

It could be early beta client, it could be to test servers, find bugs or all of them.

Beta just usually means late stage to early release candidate or first public available client.
However the word beta is so miss used these days nobody knows for sure, but saying it looks bad is just wrong.
You can say you don't like the art style, but its not bad looking for a RTS game at all.

[Probably also compressed store images]
I can say it looks bad and no its not wrong, its my opinion. Early BETA clients by definition are feature complete. Anyway thats not the point.

The game does not look great, this could be due to it being screenshots of the Xbox One version. This game does not look like an RTS that is debuting in 2016 on PC. But then again I was also disappointed by DoW3.

It seems similar to 343's art style which I don't really like and is usually inconsistent. Overall I think it looks good though I don't think I look too much at detail when playing HW or any RTS really.
Those rocks really stick out like a sore thumb especially since the ground is so detailed. And how did the SoF get the new warthogs?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I can say it looks bad and no its not wrong, its my opinion.
But whats so bad about it? I think the color makes it look good, comparing it to the previous game.

However I can agree that some of the art on units and certain items look a bit off but that's not the graphics themselves.

Early BETA clients by definition are feature complete. Anyway thats not the point.
Beta by definition is generally feature complete games, however in today's video game world is could be anything and only a RC should be looked at as a feature complete test product. However, you are right, not the point of discussion here.

The game does not look great, this could be due to it being screenshots of the Xbox One version. This game does not look like an RTS that is debuting in 2016 on PC. But then again I was also disappointed by DoW3.

These images were pulled from the Xbox stores photos. Its jpg's too if im not mistaken which in itself is horrible, but also you see the lack of AA and other small details which makes it very likely its images taken from in-game using the Xbox One.
Also we don't know if this is zoomed in or not.

I'm not quite sure how you expect a RTS to look in 2016, but unless both HW and DoW3 fucks up you can easily make them look very good on a PC with downscaling alone.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Those rocks really stick out like a sore thumb especially since the ground is so detailed. And how did the SoF get the new warthogs?

Didnt SoF go missing in 2534?

In the promotional image you can see the Ark which was from the end of Halo 3
?
which took place during 2552
?
which makes me assume SoF is not in this game at all.

If you asked me to describe the Forerunner stuff from H1-3, I'd say 'no wear, no dirt, pristine'.

Eh. HW2, wooo! Game looks cool to me, from a few stills off some server.

AlStrong

If you asked me to describe the Forerunner stuff from H1-3, I'd say 'no wear, no dirt, pristine'.

The surfaces most certainly appeared weathered/unevenly tarnished and not just a mirror sheen.

Granted, in the HW2 shots, there is evidence of some weathering/staining, but it's not as obvious on first glance.

Flipyap

The weirdest thing about these spin-off Halo games and the remakes that came out since 343 took over is that so far all (5?) of them have used Bungie's designs for most things except for UNSC's military gear.
I don't really understand why that's the case, but it's kind of great. 343's own art is getting so outnumbered, they probably should just follow their licensees' example for the sake of consistency. Come on, 343. You know you want to (you probably don't want to, but you totally should).

bidguy

Banned
The weirdest thing about these spin-off Halo games and the remakes that came out since 343 took over is that so far all (5?) of them have used Bungie's designs for most things except for UNSC's military gear.
I don't really understand why that's the case, but it's kind of great. 343's own art is getting so outnumbered, they probably should just follow their licensees' example for the sake of consistency. Come on, 343. You know you want to (you probably don't want to, but you totally should).

at least they brought talking grunts back

Akai__

I'm really digging the screenshots. Really interested in the new units and vehicles.

Hope Halo 5 gets a Halo Wars 2 themed update with some of the vehicles. We deserve more vehicles, after all those years.

RoKKeR

I never played an rts game before because I don't like PC gaming.

Does this control well with a controller?
The first game was designed for a controller, and it worked wonderfully IMO.

Too bad that the "play it now" surprise was ruined but it looks good and I'm really pumped to see some actual game play.

Flipyap

at least they brought talking grunts back
Yeah! They brought back talking Grunts and with them the comedic tone of NPC chatter (they even made Jackals funnier than they've ever been), along with Bungie-era music and sound design.
Quite a few things about Halo 5 readjusted the franchise back on track. "Fixing" their most controversial creature redesigns would be a logical next step.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wonder if they're going for 1080/60 or 1080/30?

I'd rather 1080/30 with shiploads of fancy effects. This game doesn't need 60.

CISphil

Neo Member
Really hoping this is legit. Very much looking forward to seeing how CA expand on the formula of the first game (they are very much in my good books after Warhammer)

Not liking the look of the Covenant vehicles in these shots though, but the textures in general don't look quite finished in either. Maybe these are early shots or its a similar situation to Gears 4 where we'll get an older alpha build to play with while the final release will be more polished.

Does this control well with a controller?
The original controls very well once you get used to it. It's likely the best implementation you can get on existing controller layouts (though I'd like to see a game take advantage of the Wii U game pad or PS4 touchpad)
Wonder if they're going for 1080/60 or 1080/30?
I'd rather 1080/30 with shiploads of fancy effects. This game doesn't need 60.
Agreed 100%

Compsiox

Banned
I'm really digging the screenshots. Really interested in the new units and vehicles.

Hope Halo 5 gets a Halo Wars 2 themed update with some of the vehicles. We deserve more vehicles, after all those years.

I can't believe the only new vehicle was the Phaeton omg.

Akai__

So where's the best place to buy an Xbox One right now?

Depends on where you live and if you want one for the Beta or the Full Game. If the latter, I'd wait after E3 since MS will probably announce a Slim version and potentially the Scorpio.

Otherwise just use price comparison sites and find the best deal.

WadeitOut

If there is one thing this world could forever do without, it's graphical fidelity critiques of early video game Betas.

Come on guys.

Akai__

I can't believe the only new vehicle was the Phaeton omg.

Sorry, missed your post somehow. Yeah, it' really weird. They have only added the Mantis and the Phaeton so far, but they also didn't reuse anything like the Hornet, Brute Chopper or even the Revenant. Missed opporrtunity, especially since they have Warzone.

Sorry, missed your post somehow. Yeah, it' really weird. They have only added the Mantis and the Phaeton so far, but they also didn't reuse anything like the Hornet, Brute Chopper or even the Revenant. Missed opporrtunity, especially since they have Warzone.

A few months before Halo 5, there was a post about how Halo 5 doesn't have the hornet or Falcon and Frankie quoted it and added "at launch". Since then I have been looking forward to new vehicles in the updates, but at this point I guess it just isn't happening.

link1201

A few months before Halo 5, there was a post about how Halo 5 doesn't have the hornet or Falcon and Frankie quoted it and added "at launch". Since then I have been looking forward to new vehicles in the updates, but at this point I guess it just isn't happening.
I'm waiting until Monday before I give up hope.

Depends on where you live and if you want one for the Beta or the Full Game. If the latter, I'd wait after E3 since MS will probably announce a Slim version and potentially the Scorpio.

Otherwise just use price comparison sites and find the best deal.

Wait until Monday.

Fair enough. Obviously still worth waiting either way but I kind of appreciate the VHS box aesthetic of the current SKU, and presumably they'll be cheaper after a slim is announced.

I dunno, I wouldn't mind spending $200 to have a dedicated Halo and Gears machine. I had a Xbox One for about 3 months and then had to sell it because of a lack of time, but my life is a bit more in order at the moment.

Had a lot of fun with the first game's multiplaye; 3v3 versus humans or AI was always a great time.

LOCAL UNI-ALLLL UNITS, LOCAL UNITS, ALLLLL UNITS, ALL-LOCA-ALLLL UNITS!

Top Bottom