• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Madness

Yeah, that's a pretty good way of looking at it. You wouldn't tell members of Bungie and 343 they should be fired because you disagree with how they handle their job, for example.

But those are often hyperbolic statements made in all communities. When people don't like something they tend to blame the person in charge/creator. It's not just limited to 343/Bungie either. Of course there is respectful ways to say it, but I don't see how someone saying the UI sucks, so and so should be fired is so shocking, or that the level design sucks, they need to get someone new here.

Edit: Not that I'm saying anything about UI/level design, just a general comment.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just know I'll be carrying all of you come November.
Not really.

HaloGaf has always been fun, and never been too personal. Only times issues arise is when specific members take things the wrong way and an argument starts, typically based on other members who are very sarcastic and some people not knowing that yet. We keep it mostly about Halo and we're good. Making the discussion about yourself, your race, your gender, etc. really doesn't even make sense in the context that Halo (and gaming) is enjoyed by everyone, so who cares what color or gender you are, just play Halo.

Basically, shut up and go play Halo, HaloGaf. :p

Tawpgun

I like to think we're all cool here and a good group of friends that play or at least used to play together.

And friends shit on each other all the time its what makes friends great.

Be respectful but I don't want to see this becoming a PG forum with an environment straight out Barney.

It seems easy enough.

All will be fine come november.

heckfu

Banned
Hi HaloGAF, I'll use this wonderful post as my leaping off point.

Sub-Zero is right. What once flew on GAF no longer flies on GAF. Go back as few as five or six years, and you'll find people calling each other "gay" and "fag", but none of you would do that now, because you either have grown past it, or know you'll catch a ban.

In a very similar way, Halo GAF is going to be respectful to people who aren't young men. This includes, old people, women, transgendered members, etc.

If HaloGAF can't manage this without massive moderator intervention, then there will be massive moderator intervention.

So, given this, a couple of points:

1) This is not a locker room. Keep in mind that this thread, because it's focused on Halo -- an incredibly popular, mainstream game -- is going to have a higher percentage of non-young white dudes than much of the rest of the forum. Which means if you wouldn't say it in front of a mixed-race, mixed-gender crowd in real life, you probably shouldn't say it here.

2) Like all community threads, you are required to be inclusive to newcomers. This is going to be a big issue when the MC Collection rolls out. There are going to be plenty of new folks, and we expect you to welcome them and treat them well.

That's all. Have fun, and I'll be back around when I need to be, or when some Halo actually comes out.

Thank you for stepping in. Hopefully this applies to everyone equally (including ones who called you in here in the first place).

Even though hyperbole and criticism hit every community, HaloGAF is pretty bad about it sometimes. Frequenting BCT, LGBThread, SmashGAF, PokemonGAF, Pokemon XYGAF, and so on, and so forth, I don't think I've ever come across another community so vehement and insular about shit that it's not only gotten nearly half the community wiped out over single arguments or discussion, but actually had to go on hiatus.

Homeboyd

Even though hyperbole and criticism hit every community, HaloGAF is pretty bad about it sometimes. Frequenting BCT, LGBThread, SmashGAF, PokemonGAF, Pokemon XYGAF, and so on, and so forth, I don't think I've ever come across another community so vehement and insular about shit that it's not only gotten nearly half the community wiped out over single arguments or discussion, but actually had to go on hiatus.
NBA-GAF says hello

Madness

That doesn't mean it's right or that it should be allowed to continue. You wouldn't say in public to someone's face that their work sucks and they should be fired. You would be considered an asshole.

I dont even know what you're necessarily complaining about? I haven't really seen anyone here call for an outright firing of someone, especially to their face.

There's nothing wrong with me, for instance, saying, I don't like Kenneth Scott's art style, put Sparth in charge. Or, I didn't like the music Davidge did, I'm glad he's not working on the next games and Jinnouchi has taken over. What's the real issue here?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thank you for stepping in. Hopefully this applies to everyone equally (including ones who called you in here in the first place).

mtpp5xo.gif

Honestly the best game I ever had was in the Original Halo. Me and 6 guys I never met before we on the island map being camped at our spawn. They had the Banshee, tanks outside our base and a tank on top of the teleport. Then one of us setup a skype call and we all joined it. Taking charge I led my whole team out of the front the moment the shells stopped, we unleashed grenade hell on them and took out both tank drivers with the loss of one guy. Two guys stayed with the tanks to drive to the other side of the island and up to where the enemy team was camping the teleport. Me and two others went straight up. On top of there we saw two enemy players and a tank. We threw grenades before the tank guy realised what was going on. Tank driver down, but we can’t take it is as the banshee from earlier reappears, in unison, pistols come out and we take out the banshee, then the players, we then park the tank on their teleport and in the space of three minutes we’ve completely reversed our fortunes and win the game. That whole charge with just the three of us took place over just about 30 seconds. It felt epic…and I’ve not felt it since. I’m still friends with some of the guys I met that game.
I love reading these experiences. One of my best friends I met from playing Halo CE on XBC. The first game we played together was a 2v2 on Prisoner and we were playing well. Game was 49-39, so I went to use the bathroom because we only needed ONE kill, but the guy we were playing against (his teammate dropped IIRC) came back and it was 49-49. I told my friend, "DON'T DIE! I GOT THIS!!" but he runs out and dies anyway lmfao, so we lose.

13 years later we're still great friends, ironically ended up at college together and now we might have an opportunity to work together full-time ;] -- Halo, IMO, is a franchise that has made such an impact on this industry and people's lives. If that's not what gaming is about, I don't know what is.
Hi HaloGAF, I'll use this wonderful post as my leaping off point.

Sub-Zero is right. What once flew on GAF no longer flies on GAF. Go back as few as five or six years, and you'll find people calling each other "gay" and "fag", but none of you would do that now, because you either have grown past it, or know you'll catch a ban.

In a very similar way, Halo GAF is going to be respectful to people who aren't young men. This includes, old people, women, transgendered members, etc.
The internet is maturing.

willow ve

To be fair those threads never had the sheer volume of posting that HaloGAF did back before the temp hiatus. We would go months at a time and always be in the most recent 5-10 posted in threads in OT. You could go to lunch and come back to see 300+ new posts about BR v AR starts. Hell - you could write a well thought out post, put it out, and by the time it took you to proofread and edit for grammar/spelling it would be 5 pages back in the thread.

The only other threads that approached that speed were FootyGAF during champions league or world cup, NBAGAF during the finals, and threads that serve as live blogs of events at major expos.

With the sheer volume of posts there was bound to be a few off kilter thought processes that would suck in more people.

----

All that said, I thought the reason HaloGAF was given a time out was because we posted ALL news (Halo and otherwise) only in the HaloGAF threads - we became so insular that other threads/posters/etc. would refer to something "said or heard in HaloGAF." We never branched out, started other threads, or participated in other sections of the forum in a positive way.

Maybe it was more than that (too much negative vitriol?), but that felt like a large slice of the pie.

edit:
Has there been any talk what competetive Halo is doing when MCC comes out?

Even though MLG might not be the best landing place for Halo I can't help but want to hear Pucket and the top 10 Halo plays return.

Oh Tawpgun, solid post on the skill gap btw. I cried a little.
To be fair those threads never had the sheer volume of posting that HaloGAF did back before the temp hiatus. We would go months at a time and always be in the most recent 5-10 posted in threads in OT. You could go to lunch and come back to see 300+ new posts about BR v AR starts. Hell - you could write a well thought out post, put it out, and by the time it took you to proofread and edit for grammar/spelling it would be 5 pages back in the thread.

The only other threads that approached that speed were FootyGAF during champions league or world cup, NBAGAF during the finals, and threads that serve as live blogs of events at major expos.

With the sheer volume of posts there was bound to be a few off kilter thought processes that would suck in more people.
SmashGAF is going to obliterate all history of HaloGAF; it's already happening. There is usually nothing to talk about 89% of the time, yet we go through about one thread in <3 days (not a heart lol)

HaloGAF better step its game up by November because a new Smash will be out by then too!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
HaloGAF will be only be like old times when Halo is popular again and there are folks that play it regularly.

If Halo 5 tanks the community like Halo 4 did, then we're buggered. No amount of collections or remakes will save us.

MCC will keep this place going for some time though. We need Ghaleon to bring back picture story time too to break up the montages clips.

Ramirez

I remember a fairly recent post from David Ellis that more or less said to treat the people here like you would if they were sitting across a table from you at a social gathering. Great way to look at it, and it's kept me (knocks superstitiously on wood) ban-free since I joined GAF.

Looking forward to being carried by you guys again in Halo soon.

Have you ever sat at a table with EZB?

Mix

All I know is come November I'm going to need some people to run h2 customs with.

There will be HaloGAF customs like never before. Only problem is now we'll be missing a lot of the people who used to be here to play with. Who knows, maybe we'll see them one day.

Also, I got the full week off from both GameStop (except Monday night for the midnight launch) and JCPenny, I'm also skipping my Tuesday class that week. Who else it excited? lol

Fuchsdh

All I know is come November I'm going to need some people to run h2 customs with.

The only H2 custom game I remember playing was Golden Showers—Backwash FFA, only Sentinel Beams.

(I remember that they used to print custom gametype settings in the gaming magazines, prolly OXM. Whichever had the demo disc.)

Deception

Better wait 'til December when Gaffers have vacation time.

Luckily I go to a university on the trimester schedule so after Thanksgiving I will be doing nothing but playing TMCC. The two weeks between then is going to be torture having to worry about finals and not play as much as I want to tho lol

There will be HaloGAF customs like never before. Only problem is now we'll be missing a lot of the people who used to be here to play with. Who knows, maybe we'll see them one day.

Also, I got the full week off from both GameStop (except Monday night for the midnight launch) and JCPenny, I'm also skipping my Tuesday class that week. Who else it excited? lol

I'd love to take at least a couple days off, but my parents would probably rip my fucking head off if they found out i was working any less than 90 hours a week.

You and Ghazi should hang out.

fucking no shit dude, i empathize with that man.

Booties

Banned
HaloGAF is fine. The new game will come out any we'll all play it and have fun. A few people will be morons and sperg out over stupid crap, but they won't matter. I don't think we're going to have any of those "problems" other threads have with all those types of -isms and -gyns and -trys.

People really need to be less sensitive on the internet imo.

Maybe, but probably doesn't compare to all those personal attacks you and KyleJ made against Shishka, other people at Bungie, and 343.

Stop bringing up drama, sheeeeeeeeeeesh. Dude doesn't even read this stuff.

Soon

The B O Y S are coming back to town!

Can't wait man, can't wait.

AlStrong

Would be great to have an uncompressed option for the screenshots, or at the very least, lossless compression (e.g. PNG). Not every shot one takes needs to be as high quality as possible, of course; perhaps leave it to user discretion on how to use their allotted file share limit (in terms of MB)? At least they could have it saved to the console HDD in HQ if desired - option to upload as compressed or lossless compressed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really glad the moderators and the forum in general are becoming less tolerant of oppressive behavior. Having the forum be a safe space for all people (not just white cis dudes) is a good thing for HaloGAF, especially with how big and diverse the fanbase is. I like cracking jokes and making fun of friends, but my friends and I have an understanding that racist / sexist / transphobic / otherwise oppressive language is not okay. GAF seems to be slowly trending that direction, and yeah, I'm really grateful.

And on a different but related note, I want HaloGAF to be a community where people won't get jumped on for saying that they're going through hard times. This isn't the place to sort through every mental health dilemma you might be facing, but it can / should be a place where you can reach out to people to get a little support (and then take it to PMs or whatever). There have been a few times on here when people have confessed that they're going through intense emotional hardship, and people (some of who are now thankfully banned) replied by mocking or insulting them. And then there have been times when people reached out, got some support, and the friendships / community were stronger for it. I want more of that to happen.

In short: shout out to everyone for being more sensitive. <3

TheOddOne

Mostly my reference to “feeling like old HaloGAF” was that we talked more about the actual games, matches, maps, weapons, and all other those things related to it.

We’ve been mostly in the cycle of “Is Halo dead?”, “Too little, too late”, “So yeah, how about them olden days” and “Heckfu screaming at twitter cloud”.

Mix

Mostly my reference to “feeling like old HaloGAF” was that we talked more about the actual games, matches, maps, weapons, and all other those things related to it.

We’ve been mostly in the cycle of “Is Halo dead?”, “Too little, too late”, “So yeah, how about them olden days” and “Heckfu screaming at twitter cloud”.

Speaking of talking about the games, does anyone on here still play Halo 2 Vista?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In other news, I finally got around to watching Snipetality's hype video and it was pretty fucking great. I love me some competitive Halo, even if I don't follow the competitive scenes closely.

Mix

In other news, I finally got around to watching Snipetality's hype video and it was pretty fucking great. I love me some competitive Halo, even if I don't follow the competitive scenes closely.

Dude, I'm hyped like never before for Competitive stuff, after the Gamescom stuff and the RTX after party tourney that Bravo and Goldenboy casted I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

CyReN

HaloGAF will be only be like old times when Halo is popular again and there are folks that play it regularly.

If Halo 5 tanks the community like Halo 4 did, then we're buggered. No amount of collections or remakes will save us.

MCC will keep this place going for some time though. We need Ghaleon to bring back picture story time too to break up the montages clips.
No pressure, 343! Depending on how popular TMCC becomes, I don't think the community needs Halo 5 to be good. I do think for the franchise to continue beyond Halo 5, Halo 5 needs to be really good.

EDIT:
Dumb question: Will that be done using xbox ones or 360's?

CyReN

No pressure, 343! Depending on how popular TMCC becomes, I don't think the community needs Halo 5 to be good. I do think for the franchise to continue beyond Halo 5, Halo 5 needs to be really good.

EDIT:

Dumb question: Will that be done using xbox ones or 360's?

360's.

Zayum, MLG with the quickness, re-hopping on the Halo Hype Bandwagon&#8482;

Edit: I'm pretty sure that this is MLG testing the waters again for a possible Halo resurgence into the mainstream e-sports world. Not entirely sure this will pull big viewer numbers, being 2v2, and only have $5,000 on the line. The Gamescom finals pulled somewhere around 15k, but that was on the brand new game, but who knows, hopefully they'll advertise it well.

Top Bottom