• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

CyReN

Zayum, MLG with the quickness, re-hopping on the Halo Hype Bandwagon™

Edit: I'm pretty sure that this is MLG testing the waters again for a possible Halo resurgence into the mainstream e-sports world. Not entirely sure this will pull big viewer numbers, being 2v2, and only have $5,000 on the line. The Gamescom finals pulled somewhere around 15k, but that was on the brand new game, but who knows, hopefully they'll advertise it well.

Should do pretty decent, well known Youtubes + OpTic + Halo Pros. I'll say 5-10k.

belushy

Banned
Dude, I'm hyped like never before for Competitive stuff, after the Gamescom stuff and the RTX after party tourney that Bravo and Goldenboy casted I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Yeah, I'm hyped like crazy. The split second I saw the Midship remake for the H5 Beta trailer, I instantly imagined a tournament being played on it.

Damn I hope we get spectator mode in Halo 5...

edit: Yeah, the Optic brand will help Halo out a lot. - I mean in the long term, not just this tournament.

Mabef

Banned
H3MPAlphaSnowboundCarnage.jpg
9+ player FFA on Snowbound, woah baby.

What was the shotgun player doing, approaching the base from that open-ass area to the side. They deserved that humiliation stick.

antigoon

As a new member of the community, I don't really feel like I should have much of a say about what goes on here, but I just want to give a +1 to besada. I support what you guys are doing.

Anyway, can't wait to actually PLAY HALO OH MY GOD with you guys soon. I can't wait to see how badly my skills have atrophied after playing nothing but PC games for the last few years. It's gonna be sad and hilarious and awesome and pathetic.

Obscured

Looking forward to actually playing some games.

I lurked here for a long time before becoming a member and had a sense of some of the posters so never take too much to heart, but some stuff can definitely come off harsher than it seems. I played a few custom nights prior to my 360 turning into a Netflix box and I will say that the people I had a chance to play with were much more friendly and helpful than might have been assumed just going by posting history. Though pretty sure I wouldn't want to be on the other side on Oddbase.

Hope to get some games in with everyone and hopefully I can fit in somebody's backpack.

Seems like 343 will notice where players are spending their time in MCC, how is everyone going to go about trying to win others to your version of Halo?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, can't wait to actually PLAY HALO OH MY GOD with you guys soon.
Hell yeahhhhh. I love our little insular HaloGAF family, but it'll be cool to get a whole new wave of people drawn in by the MCC. I'm really curious to see which games people end up favoring and how the community evolves.

Hi HaloGAF, I'll use this wonderful post as my leaping off point.

Sub-Zero is right. What once flew on GAF no longer flies on GAF. Go back as few as five or six years, and you'll find people calling each other "gay" and "fag", but none of you would do that now, because you either have grown past it, or know you'll catch a ban.

In a very similar way, Halo GAF is going to be respectful to people who aren't young men. This includes, old people, women, transgendered members, etc.

If HaloGAF can't manage this without massive moderator intervention, then there will be massive moderator intervention.

So, given this, a couple of points:

1) This is not a locker room. Keep in mind that this thread, because it's focused on Halo -- an incredibly popular, mainstream game -- is going to have a higher percentage of non-young white dudes than much of the rest of the forum. Which means if you wouldn't say it in front of a mixed-race, mixed-gender crowd in real life, you probably shouldn't say it here.

2) Like all community threads, you are required to be inclusive to newcomers. This is going to be a big issue when the MC Collection rolls out. There are going to be plenty of new folks, and we expect you to welcome them and treat them well.

That's all. Have fun, and I'll be back around when I need to be, or when some Halo actually comes out.

images

Fuchsdh

Was Tashi sick too? No? WHATS THE BIG DEAL?!

There should be a line of succession to bulletins, so that even if half the studio is trapped in a pocket dimension fighting giant spiders Johnny the night janitor puts something out.

"Here's a selection of the best litter I've found around the studio!"

uwdanman

Neo Member

Do you think they will continue doing these small 2v2 tourneys leading up to MCC to see if there is interest? It seems a bit out of the blue to offer up $5,000 (basically what winners of the Gamescom/PAX 4v4 open winners received) for a closed 8 man tournament. I can see why they used Halo 3 since it was on the circuit last though.

This with the recent "Keep Calm the Chief is Back" leaked shirt concept from MLG leads me to think they have more planned before the launch.

heckfu

Banned
I can't wait to play the older games again and get some high-tier objective holding and griefing going on. HGS crew rolls deep.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing will match Zealot Slayer Unlimited or Oddball Swordbase unfortunately.
It's kind of amazing how much fun we were able to squeeze out of Reach. When life gives you lemons, terrorize BKs in matchmaking.

heckfu

Banned
It's kind of amazing how much fun we were able to squeeze out of Reach. When life gives you lemons, terrorize BKs in matchmaking.

Slayer unlimited on that Zealot variant was one of those things that could've been fixed in 4 minutes time but they just didn't...and we praise them for it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Pretty sure the intolerable "shitting on bad kids" and telling the other team to "get raped" and other such degrading attitudes that are perversely interwoven into the frat boy clubs here in HaloGAF won't be tolerated going forward.

That shit poisoned the HaloGAF well for many years. Still stinks of it here too, unfortunately.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive, don't get me wrong, but that nasty, angsty wannbe tough guy flluff just doesn't fly.

Hi HaloGAF, I'll use this wonderful post as my leaping off point.

Sub-Zero is right. What once flew on GAF no longer flies on GAF. Go back as few as five or six years, and you'll find people calling each other "gay" and "fag", but none of you would do that now, because you either have grown past it, or know you'll catch a ban.

In a very similar way, Halo GAF is going to be respectful to people who aren't young men. This includes, old people, women, transgendered members, etc.

If HaloGAF can't manage this without massive moderator intervention, then there will be massive moderator intervention.

So, given this, a couple of points:

1) This is not a locker room. Keep in mind that this thread, because it's focused on Halo -- an incredibly popular, mainstream game -- is going to have a higher percentage of non-young white dudes than much of the rest of the forum. Which means if you wouldn't say it in front of a mixed-race, mixed-gender crowd in real life, you probably shouldn't say it here.

2) Like all community threads, you are required to be inclusive to newcomers. This is going to be a big issue when the MC Collection rolls out. There are going to be plenty of new folks, and we expect you to welcome them and treat them well.

That's all. Have fun, and I'll be back around when I need to be, or when some Halo actually comes out.

Appreciate you putting to words what some posters seem to forget.

Pretty sure the intolerable "shitting on bad kids" and telling the other team to "get raped" and other such degrading attitudes that are perversely interwoven into the frat boy clubs here in HaloGAF won't be tolerated going forward.

That shit poisoned the HaloGAF well for many years. Still stinks of it here too, unfortunately.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive, don't get me wrong, but that nasty, angsty wannbe tough guy flluff just doesn't fly.

Yeah that was pretty bad.

antigoon

Pretty embarrassing to admit that I was like this back in the day. Really embarrassing, actually. Then again it was nearly 10 years ago and I've changed quite a bit.

I like you.

THANKS YOU'RE COOL TOO!

I blame Dustin Echoes. That guy ruined all of Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

I generally don't care about Halo honor. It's kind of douchey to exploit bad players, but it can also be really fun. I'm not a big fan of the machismo and frat boy vibe that some people go into it with -- and I'm especially not okay with people carelessly throwing around words like "rape" -- but I don't really approach it that way. For me, it's just another way to play the game. Sometimes I like to be challenged and be competitive, and sometimes I like to dong on BKs.

I generally don't care about Halo honor. It's kind of douchey to exploit bad players, but it can also be really fun. I'm not a big fan of the machismo and frat boy vibe that some people go into it with -- and I'm especially not okay with people carelessly throwing around words like "rape" -- but I don't really approach it that way. For me, it's just another way to play the game. Sometimes I like to be challenged and be competitive, and sometimes I like to dong on BKs.

Shitty boys' clubs are the worst.

Ramirez

You partook in many a shitting on BKs and laughed all the same with us during 3/Reach, c'mon guy.

I have never played a single game of Halo with anyone here where someone was told they got raped. The hyperbole today is nauseating.

heckfu

Banned

I obviously see the issue raised with casual use of the word rape, but using phrases like 'shitting on bks' is pretty harmless imo. And I don't see the whole frat boy attitude thing because...what does that even mean.

But it's whatever, let's shit and dong on kids in MCC this fall kittens. Let's have fun.

Thermite

I'm just thankful for this much needed cleansing by based Besada. With him watching over all of us, the community will actually now be tolerable.

Wait do you live in Seattle or can you actually take a week off of work?

I live in Virginia.

Taking a week off is fine, as long as I have enough vacation days saved up and no immovable deadlines. One of my coworkers takes an entire month off every year, but that's the only vacation he takes.

Sofa King

Never change adapt, HaloGAF.

Who will I see at PAX next week?

Duncan Seattle Tour 2014 is Aug. 28th - Sept. 9th. Get your tickets now.

You probably won't see me, but I will most definitely be there. Trying to make the decision between the Bungie panel or the Gearbox panel on Sunday.

Fuchsdh

I live in Virginia.

Taking a week off is fine, as long as I have enough vacation days saved up and no immovable deadlines. One of my coworkers takes an entire month off every year, but that's the only vacation he takes.
Oh right, I knew that and forgot.

I don't get much leave and I only get it rolling with the calendar year, so going this year is going to exhaust what I've got. A month off from work would probably drive me crazy though. Not my personal style.

You flying out of Dulles, or is there a closer airport to you?

Tawpgun

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh

Having a super close and intense game is super fun.

But so is cleansing.

Can't WAIT. MCC is gonna be so much fun. Until we end up in a Halo CE game and get wrecked by the CE Purists

You partook in many a shitting on BKs and laughed all the same with us during 3/Reach, c'mon guy.

I have never played a single game of Halo with anyone here where someone was told they got raped. The hyperbole today is nauseating.
Its a bit touchy feely in here yeah. Kinda wonder what provokes this "let's all hold hands and share stickers guys :3" outburst came from

Probably the Oddone

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I was gonna bring up and names as examples, but that's not cool, but yeah some folks here we've both played with in the past have been rather liberal with such language.

The whole bk thing? It was more a failure of the system. Uneven matches, quitters, which leads to spawn killing and trapping, victory laps, etc. Funny? Sure, but it's more like take a shitty situation and making the best out of it. Games were best when the MM system worked. Close games, decent maps, no quitters, no BS. There was so much bad in Reach where shitty situations basically became the norm most nights.

I'm also sure the skill gap between myself and most other people I played with attracted a ton of lower skills players into your triple and overkill medals.

Shitty boys' clubs are the worst.

Catty girls' clubs can be pretty annoying too. :p

Oh right, I knew that and forgot.

I don't get much leave and I only get it rolling with the calendar year, so going this year is going to exhaust what I've got. A month off from work would probably drive me crazy though. Not my personal style.

You flying out of Dulles, or is there a closer airport to you?

This trip will exhaust my annual leave, but the reason I have this much built up is thanks to the magic of Credit Hours. (If I work more than 8 hours in a day, the extra time is banked - up to a maximum of 24 hours - that I can use as vacation time. Last weekend I went to Vegas for 4 days without touching a single hour of Annual Leave.)

I always fly out of Reagan. If I time my flight right I can leave my car at home and take the Amtrak/VRE up to Alexandria and from there take the Metro to Reagan.

Top Bottom