• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary Sonic the Hedgehog!

mrmickfran

SonicPortal_HOME_PROMOS_MOBILE.jpg

This thread is more dedicated to the anniversary of the franchise, anyone is welcome to make a thread dedicated to the 1991 title of the same name.

On June 23rd 1991, SEGA released a game on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive that would be touted as the "Mario Killer". That game was known as:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_1_Genesis_box_art.jpg

Sporting a main character that was dubbed "A Mascot With an Attitude", Sonic the Hedgehog was released and performed amazingly well, allowing the Genesis console to fly off the shelves and actually allowed SEGA to compete against the juggernaut known as Nintendo.

Following that release, SEGA then followed Sonic the Hedgehog with a few sequels that received rave reviews. They are known as:

Not only were all these games released on the Genesis, there were also several spinoffs for the franchise on the same console. At this point, it was safe to say that Sonic overtook Alex Kidd as SEGA's mascot.

It didn't actually take down the Super Nintendo like they hoped, but it put them on the frontlines.

Then the Saturn happened and Sonic suddenly wasn't as prominent as before, having only a collection of the main Genesis titles, an enhanced port of 3D Blast, a game that wasn't well favored during its Genesis debut and Sonic R. A port of Fighters was planned, but never saw the light of day. And of course there's the Sonic X-Treme debacle. It's safe to say that the Saturn generation was pretty bleak for our blue blur.

After quite an extensive absence during the Saturn days, Sonic made a strong return in 1998 with the release of Sonic Adventure. Often looked back in disgust nowadays, back in it's time, Sonic Adventure was a hallmark for 3D titles. SEGA followed the success of Sonic Adventure with Sonic Adventure 2, another favored title at the time. Though the two releases were not able to save the Dreamcast like his Genesis titles saved that system. SEGA dropped out of the console business and proceeded to release titles on their old rivals Nintendo's platforms, starting with Sonic Advance and a port of Adventure 2. More and more titles were released on multiple systems. Sonic Heroes received positive reception for mixing up the formula, but not to the extent of the old titles.

Later on the dark ages of the franchise started. SEGA released a title dedicated to Shadow the Hedgehog, a fan favorite from Adventure 2. In hopes of getting a more mature audience interested in the series, the protagonist used firearms and profanity. The title was met with fairly negative reception. Then in the next year for its 15th Anniversary, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) was released. This game was supposed to have it all: Day/Night cycle, playable characters in all stages, customizable characters. This was truly going to be the ultimate Sonic game. What happened? At the last minute, SEGA decided to rush the game in order to make the Christmas season leaving consumers with a buggy mess that almost singlehandedly killed the franchise.

After the extreme negative reception of Sonic 06, SEGA decided to slow things down with the franchise: releasing more handheld titles, stagnating 3D releases more as time went on, giving games more production time and releasing more spinoffs with the character, even having a crossover with his old rival Mario. In 2008, Sonic Unleashed was released, showcasing a welcome return to classic Sonic gameplay but also adding in a new gameplay mechanic that was not welcomed with open arms: the Werehog. Unleashed was met with mixed reception, but it showed some promise.

SEGA wanted to continue with bringing Sonic back to "his old roots". Even going as far as removing any titles with negative reception from stores. In 2010, they released Sonic 4, a purely 2D game that harkens back to his old days. Though reception wasn't stellar, it received much warmer reception than the previous 3D entries. A month later, Sonic Colors was released, which was welcomed with open arms for featuring a more refined version of Unleashed's gameplay. Then in the following year for his 20th Anniversary, Sonic Generations was released, receiving rave reviews and had started what many called "the return of Sonic"....

... Until 2013 when Sonic Lost World was released to mediocre reception. Many reviewers cited that it showed promise though. In the following year, SEGA released Sonic Boom, a spinoff title that was supposed to market the cartoon of the same name. This game was Christmas rushed and featured many issues akin to his 15th Anniversary release: Sonic 2006. Once again SEGA slowed down on Sonic releases hoping to give titles more time in development. At the moment, it is still unknown what the franchises major 25th anniversary release is. Could it be a sequel to Generations? Could it be a new 2D title akin to the old Genesis games? Could it be that Sonic Boom will be marketed as the 25th Anniversary title? Only time will tell.

Series History:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic CD
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
SegaSonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Drift

Sonic Labyrinth
Tails Skypatrol
Tails Adventure
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Drift 2

Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Blast
Sonic the Fighters

Sonic Jam
Sonic R

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Pocket Adventure

Sonic Shuffle

2001 *10th Anniversary*
Sonic Adventure 2/Battle
Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Mega Collection

Sonic Heroes
Sonic Pinball Party
Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Mega Collection Plus

Sonic Rush
Sonic Jump
Sonic Gems Collection
Shadow the Hedgehog

2006 *15th Anniversary*
Sonic the Hegehog (2006)
Sonic Riders
Sonic Rivals
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis

Sonic & the Secret Rings
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Rivals 2

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Sonic & the Black Knight
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Sonic Classic Collection
Sonic Colors
Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing
Sonic Free Riders
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

2011 *20th Anniversary*
Sonic Generations

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Sonic Lost World
Sonic Dash
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal
Sonic Jump Fever

Sonic Runners

2016 *25th Anniversary*
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
*Insert actual major 25th anniversary game here*

Wow what a lineup. Never realized that there was a Sonic title every year since 1991.

Happy birthday Sonic! Here's to another 25!

latest

HUELEN10

25 years of Sonic means 15 years since the start of Adventure-era 2D DiMPS games.

God how I miss them.

Happy Birthday Sonic. My your feet stay fast your 'dude stay true blue, and may your eyes be forever green.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld and Tails and the Music Maker for SEGA Pico could perhaps also be included in that list.

Happy 25th anniversary, Sonic and SEGA!

As much as Sonic has had it's ups and downs there's no denying that the games especially the early ones are fantastic, After Sonic Heroes I decided to take a break and play other games but when I came back and played generations I was hooked once again and I continue to be a humble fan of the games.

Happy 25th Sonic!

mrmickfran

To anyone who thinks that I jumped the gun with releasing this thread well, The game was released in the Europe on June 23rd, and it's June 23rd over there now, sooo :p

TreIII

Happy Birthday, Sonic, old pal.

Haven't really kept in touch much in the last few years (okay, more like the last 10), but we'll always have those first ten years together. After all, you were as much a part of my childhood as a plumber and a blue robot were!

Wishing you the best for your new project's reveal next month. And who knows, maybe I'll put on my old running togs for old time's sake when it releases!

Zalman

I love this series despite its faults. When the home console games started to suck, I always had the solid handheld games to play (Advance, Rush etc.) But I don't feel like we've had anything spectacular since Generations, which I think is the longest I've gone without enjoying a Sonic game ever. Hopefully the game they'll announce next month will be good.

The PAL region got the best Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) box art.

I'll always have a soft spot for the franchise... no matter how troubled it's recent past has been.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A series that has tried to reinvent itself too many times, and had some severe highs and lows, but I do think has had some legitimately great & good games, even within the last 10 years, and happy to see still kicking. I find myself surprised how recognized by kids Sonic still is, even if he may be more well known through other media like his cartoons, comics, and such than his games. Looking forward to seeing what the big 25th anniversary Sonic game is, which seems it might be announced next month.

I'll also say happy 25th birthday Dr. Eggman/Robotnik, who is by far the best character in the series in my opinion.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sonic has definitely fallen far from grace but I'll be damned if S3&K isn't one of the greatest games ever made. I even had fun with the Adventure games for all of their shortcomings, and I've probably seen the OVA 20 times. Regardless of what's happened he'll always be one of my favorite video game characters.

Dusk Golem

I love this series despite its faults. When the home console games started to suck, I always had the solid handheld games to play (Advance, Rush etc.) But I don't feel like we've had anything spectacular since Generations, which I think is the longest I've gone without buying a Sonic game ever. Hopefully the game they'll announce next month will be good.

To be completely honest, the releases of Sonic games since Generations has been slow. What's there really been? The fantastic Sonic 1, 2, & CD ports from Taxman is one thing. Sonic Lost World is okay, has its ups and downs. Sonic Boom... Well, yeah, the game sucked by Big Red Button, show was amusing enough to me. Sonic Runners on the iOS? Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed was pretty great, though. I guess Sonic 4: Episode 2 happened.

There's not been a lot of game output since Generations, honestly. This upcoming 25th anniversary game has stayed surprisingly quiet, and is the Sonic game that may end up being developed for the longest and hopefully with the most polish. We shall see.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Happy Birthday Sonic, still waiting for that anniversary game.

To anyone who thinks that I jumped the gun with releasing this thread well, The game was released in the Europe on June 23rd, and it's June 23rd over there now, sooo :p

Hey man it's still the 22nd in the UK. :|

I'd also like to add that his original Japanese design is gorgeous. Clean lines and vivid colours.

Mario may have gone on to have a more successful career, but Sonic, as a piece of design, is stellar and a class above.

Zalman

To be completely honest, the releases of Sonic games since Generations has been slow. What's there really been? The fantastic Sonic 1, 2, & CD ports from Taxman is one thing. Sonic Lost World is okay, has its ups and downs. Sonic Boom... Well, yeah, the game sucked by Big Red Button, show was amusing enough to me. Sonic Runners on the iOS? Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed was pretty great, though. I guess Sonic 4: Episode 2 happened.

There's not been a lot of game output since Generations, honestly. This upcoming 25th anniversary game has stayed surprisingly quiet, and is the Sonic game that may end up being developed for the longest and hopefully with the most polish. We shall see.
Yeah, the silence is probably a good thing. I hope they can at least reach Colors/Generations quality with the next game.

I was stupid-huge into Sonic in the 90s. Games, comics, shows, all of it. Can't say I've been too huge into the franchise since then, but I'm happy it's still going.

Still hope they take one more shot at an "Adventure" style game someday.

One of my first videogames was Sonic 1. Great memories of this series, even through the rocky bumps it's had lately.

Have a ton of the merch that got released around that time as well. Full bed coverings, alarm clock, toys, posters, all nicely stored away now but still something I look at.

Damn I was only a 2 when the first Sonic game came out!

I always been a inner Sonic fanboy nice to see Sonic still exists after 25 years and didn't completely die off although there was many times when he was on life support. We only had a Sega Genesis when I was a kid so that may have influenced my love of sonic games.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is still my favorite Sonic game though next to Sonic 2 and CD.

marmoka

Banned
Happy Birthday Sonic!! I hope you become the great hedgehog you were many years ago, in the Genesis/Megadrive era. I hope that the 25th anniversary game brings you back to glory, just like Colours and Generations showed you can be great again.

Sonic has always had killer music.

Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles in particular.

It has a really varied sound too, with stuff like Chemical Plant, Flying Battery and Hyrdocity being my favourites.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sonic Adventure was NOT a hallmark for 3D titles. For the Sonic franchise itself maybe? Sure. Not for the industry though.

It barely justifies a footnote. Seriously.

Mr Swine

Banned
Happy Birthday Sonic and Dr Eggman! I really hope the next game is just as good as Colors, Generations and Lost World!

I always remember the argument me and my old classmate had, Sonic was cool while Mario was a fool. He farted on his feather to fly around lol

Zareka

Happy birthday Sonic. I still love you.

The original on the Mega Drive was actually my first ever game, the one that got me into gaming as a whole. My biggest hobby to this date. Thanks Sonic.

I have hope for the next game too. Boom was a mistake, but Colours, Generations and Lost World were all good, with the last being a little flat in execution. I hope the time they're taking with the next one irons out the flaws and produces a really great game.

Daingurse

Honestly think I'll be dead before I stop being a Sonic fan at this point lol. May Sonic continue for another 25 years, the Hedgehog is eternal.

Dusk Golem

Sonic Adventure was NOT a hallmark for 3D titles. For the Sonic franchise itself maybe? Sure. Not for the industry though.

It barely justifies a footnote. Seriously.

It was pretty revolutionary for the time. It may not have aged well, but it wow'd a lot of people back in the day, and did actually have effects on games developed after it.

iidesuyo

From today back to Sonic 1 is as long as Sonic 1 to 1966. Video Games didn't exist back then!

Damn, gaming was still so young. As a kid I thought stuff like Pac Man was incredibly old, but it was like playing Zelda TP or 2006 today in 2016.

Neoxon

Happy Birthday, Sonic! Boom & '06 were mistakes, but I did get some enjoyment out a number of your games over the years. Thanks for the awesome childhood, & I hope that you bounce back like you did pre-Boom.

vypek

Sonic appeared as a keychair or rearview mirror item in a game before his own game came to be, right? What game was that?

RK128

I automatically assume now that every sonic thread is by you. You did a good job with the retros.

XD!

Guess I'm infamous on Gaf now for that :'). Thanks for the kind words and my love for the Sonic series kickstarted my current work with other Retros and writing work :D.

Top Bottom