• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary Sonic the Hedgehog!

Nia

Before I got into Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and any other franchises I enjoy today, there was Sonic. He was my hero as a child, and though many badmouth it, Sonic Adventure was my first foray into videogames. It captivated me and opened me to new worlds and experiences. I wouldn't enjoy videogames like I do today were it not for Sonic. So of course I celebrate his existence, and hope the games return to glory. I have hope for what's to come. I plan to play through the classics starting today before ending my marathon with Sonic Adventure.

Happy 25th Sonic and
Dr. Robotnik/Eggman
!

clffti5veaeyiqp.png-lj1xvv.png

This and Sonic and the Glass House have made my week.

I don't think any new Sonic game will do for me what the 2D games did, but at least the series is still going strong with the new TV show.

Ristifer

I automatically assume now that every sonic thread is by you. You did a good job with the retros.
Agreed!

Glad that Sonic has had some recent highs, including some decent hype for an anniversary game which should be announced next month! Hopefully it'll be a good one.

Happy Birthday, Sonic!

Aki-at

Can't believe I was only 2 when Sonic 1 was released.

Happy Birthday Sonic & Robotnik, thanks for the sweet memories and hope the 25th anniversary game delivers on every count!

Blueblur1

Following my NES, my second console was the Genesis and my first game was Sonic 1. I still love it and the 2D games til this day.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Has it been so long..? Sonic is only a year or so older than myself, it feels like i grew up with Sonic as a Genesis kid and saw everything to the current point.

Its been a ride.

Ogodei

The question is when are we getting some info on the 25th anniversary game?

Given it skipped E3 makes me suspicious that, if it exists, it's NX-lead and got punted along with that.

No reason for Sony or Microsoft to not get Sega up there and brag about it otherwise, it would be a win/win for either of them especially if this Sonic game is indeed higher quality due to longer cooking time.

But what about Sonic's REAL first appearance in The Adventures of Quik & Silva for the Amiga, developed by Factor 5?

hqdefault.jpg

All jokes aside, despite the franchise's ups and downs it's one that I love. I grew up idolizing Sonic the Hedgehog and the franchise was incredibly formative to me as a child. I'm excited for the future and hopeful that Sonic Team will make something truly worthy of the franchise's 25th anniversary. Here's to more years to come.

Bio-Frost

Given it skipped E3 makes me suspicious that, if it exists, it's NX-lead and got punted along with that.

No reason for Sony or Microsoft to not get Sega up there and brag about it otherwise, it would be a win/win for either of them especially if this Sonic game is indeed higher quality due to longer cooking time.
They said they were showing the game on july 22nd at that huge sonic event in San Francisco

RK128

I do think we will see a Nintendo-only Sonic title in the future for sure, but the anniversary game will be multiplatform like Generations.

AsakuraZ

I have my tickets for the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party at Comic Con this year, cannot wait! I'm sure some other gaffers will be there but I'll try to post on what gets revealed as soon as possible.

Also as a general retrospective for myself, my brother traded in all our Nintendo stuff when we were kids to get a Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog. I remember being completely hooked on the game as a child and continued to be hooked on every game up till Sonic Adventure 2. From there its been hit or miss for titles until Generations. I really do hope for a Generations 2 at this point. Just rehash some more (good) stages from the series and I'll be fine.

You can almost make the case that any Sonic game has the best music in the series. I don't know of a single Sonic game with bland music.

Ogodei

They said they were showing the game on july 22nd at that huge sonic event in San Francisco

Huh, i've been out of the loop on this.

I wonder how substantive the first look will be? It'd be a bit late to reveal the game for a fall launch probably.

AsakuraZ

The question is when are we getting some info on the 25th anniversary game?

As posted on the info for the Comic Con party,

"Celebrate 25 years of Sonic the Hedgehog at our official party at the House of Blues, during San Diego Comic-con! Special guests, musical performances by Crush 40 and Hyper Potions, exclusive 25th Anniversary merchandise and more await!

Food is provided by the venue, and your ticket price also covers limited edition merchandise we'll be giving away at the show.

Join us as we celebrate the past, and give you the exclusive first look at the future of Sonic!"

I assume we'll hear it there first.

Happy Birthday Sonic. Your games may suck and you may be the personification of a Flame Shirt/wallet chain combo, but it's better than nothing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wait a min, it's not July first yet, I specifically remember this cause sonic came out the same day I was born

Aki-at

Huh, i've been out of the loop on this.

I wonder how substantive the first look will be? It'd be a bit late to reveal the game for a fall launch probably.

Recent Famitsu interview confirmed Sonic Team are making a brand new Sonic game.

And several months back there was a job add that hinted on a PS4/Xbox One game about a legendary blue icon who's celebrating his anniversary this year.

So yes, it's coming \o/

You can almost make the case that any Sonic game has the best music in the series. I don't know of a single Sonic game with bland music.

Sonic Boom has a pretty dire soundtrack.

The miracle workers is SEGA Japan's sound team, one of the best in the industry.

Despite numerous missteps, I'm still a big Sonic fan. I've gotten so much joy out of the series and it's been such an inspiration that I can look past garbage like Sonic Boom and Sonic '06 and still appreciate the original games.

Sonic has been part of my gaming life for as far as I can remember. Sure he had some up and downs, but I'm always excited to hear about his new game. Here's hoping for another 25 years of the blue blur.

Toparaman

Banned
The Sonic twitter is hyping up the anniversary game announcement like crazy. Now would be the perfect year for a return to form.

HUELEN10

The Sonic twitter is hyping up the anniversary game announcement like crazy. Now would be the perfect year for a return to form.
Too many people say this, but everyone means something so different by it.

Just.. just make Unleashed 2 Sega. That's what i mean when I say it anyways.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
Sonic was instrumental to me falling in love with video games.

Happy B-day Sonic! Hope your anniversary game is totally awesome!

Teknoman

Have you guys seen the animated banner on Amazon.com? Sonic CD JP Palmtree Panic music, Classic Sonic sprite running through the years of games, and even jumps out of the screen, end of game style.

MrBadger

Have you guys seen the animated banner on Amazon.com? Sonic CD JP Palmtree Panic music, Classic Sonic sprite running through the years of games, and even jumps out of the screen, end of game style.

That was pretty cool. Although it's funny how towards the end they resorted to showing mobile games, and they showed the Boom TV show over either of the games. Valid choice to show Allstars Racing Transformed over Sonic 4 episode 2, as well

I'm surprised they didn't slyly skip Sonic 06 like they did in that 20th anniversary panel a few months back. Suppose Aaron Webber wasn't the man behind this

Top Bottom