• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 25th Anniversary Sonic the Hedgehog!

Happy 25th birthday, Sonic!

That being said, I have rarely played any Sonic titles aside from the original. What are some that I should add to my list?

HUELEN10

That being said, I have rarely played any Sonic titles aside from the original. What are some that I should add to my list?

Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Sonic Unleashed 360.

MrBadger

Sonic Generations, Sonic Colours, Sonic Advance (the first one is the best) and the two Sonic Rush games are the ones I find to be the best non-Megadrive Sonics

NZerker12

Happy Birthday Sonic

I still remember being at Summer of Sonic 2011 back in London just to play the demo of Sonic Generations (although I had to que up for 5 hours straight, it was still worth it).

Hopefully the new Sonic team game is just as good if not better.

Wow, I haven't played a Sonic game since Generations back in 2011 - I'd love a new anniversary game or even just remaster that or put Generations on backwards compatibility.

This and Sonic and the Glass House have made my week.

Why did Sonic and the Glass House make your week? The joke was that at least SEGA releases their games on time. Chris Kohler's response was that to show an image of Sonic in a glass house, an allusion to the adage "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", meaning: check yourself for hypocrisy.

But there was no hypocrisy in Sonic's tweet. If the joke was that MMN9 sucks, then the glass house thing might have applied. But it wasn't.

sparkzero

Happy Birthday Sonic, my childhood hero :)

I hope the new anniversary game will get me excited to play Sonic again. Haven't enjoyed (or played) the games since Generations.

Man....it all started with S3&K for me. What a good childhood. Still a Sonic fan and excited for the new game! Happy Birthday Sonic! =']

MrBadger

Why did Sonic and the Glass House make your week? The joke was that at least SEGA releases their games on time. Chris Kohler's response was that to show an image of Sonic in a glass house, an allusion to the adage "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", meaning: check yourself for hypocrisy.

But there was no hypocrisy in Sonic's tweet. If the joke was that MMN9 sucks, then the glass house thing might have applied. But it wasn't.

Nah, Sonic totally deserved that burn. Making a snarky remark about MN9 being better than nothing when Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric was way, way worse than nothing. plus Aaron Webber found it funny so all is good

Mr. Virus

Jacknapes

25 years, wow.

Started for me with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when my cousin basically gave it to me. Such a marvellous game, one of them games where the sequel (and following game) was better.

My favorite in the series is still Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Culex

Banned
I still remember when my neighbor got Sonic. I was still using my NES. This game was jaw dropping for me. I felt like I was in a dream watching him play it.

Outrun

As posted on the info for the Comic Con party,

"Celebrate 25 years of Sonic the Hedgehog at our official party at the House of Blues, during San Diego Comic-con! Special guests, musical performances by Crush 40 and Hyper Potions, exclusive 25th Anniversary merchandise and more await!

Food is provided by the venue, and your ticket price also covers limited edition merchandise we'll be giving away at the show.

Join us as we celebrate the past, and give you the exclusive first look at the future of Sonic!"

I assume we'll hear it there first.

Sounds awesome. Let us know your thoughts, come July 22 :)

Laws00

i used to be a sonic fan then I grew out of him and it

i have all the the Archer first edition comics up to 50 and then i stopped reading them.all the specials too

just this year i got my sonic for sega genesis for the first time in my life since i've had a genesis in 1994

love the guy but he just doesn't appeal to me

Still remember the first day I was given a GameGear and Sonic. Damn I must have been like 4 years old. Still not given up hope on a return to form.

andymcc

Banned
I got the original as an early birthday present on my seventh birthday. Made Super Mario World feel sort of underwhelming when I got it a few months later.

Still one of my faves. I beat it every few months. (Sonic CD as well!)

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Kinda related, but DropDead (clothing brand from BMTH) are launching a clothing line Saturday featuring Sonic.

https://twitter.com/Dropdeaduk/status/745301240029003777

Screen_Shot_2016_06_23_at_14_16_08.png

They did a pretty cool Sega collab a few years ago based on Mega Drive/Genesis games.

Happy 25th! It all started with...

latest

...for me! The NES was my first console, given to me by an older cousin who had the Super Nintendo at the time and felt like he did not need the NES anymore. I never did get the Genesis until a few years later. I did have the battery eating Game Gear though and Sonic Labyrinth was my first Sonic game on that.

I loved the music and I did get used to the gameplay: it's a shame that I never finished it. I should take some time to do so this year.

mrmickfran

Happy 25th! It all started with...

latest

...for me! The NES was my first console, given to me by an older cousin who had the Super Nintendo at the time and felt like he did not need the NES anymore. I never did get the Genesis until a few years later. I did have the battery eating Game Gear though and Sonic Labyrinth was my first Sonic game on that.

I loved the music and I did get used to the gameplay: it's a shame that I never finished it. I should take some time to do so this year.
My condolences...

Happy birthday, Sonic 1. It's admittedly rough in its design, but it's still a solid game that laid a good foundation to even better titles (2, 3&K, and CD); and held a very unique and (sadly very) underappreciated gameplay concepts. Too bad that foundation hasn't been in vogue since the late 90s/early 2000s.

I wish I could be more enthusiastic to extend my birthday praise to the rest of the series in addition to the original game, despite Sonic arguably my favorite franchise and the one I'm follow the closest. Alas, I don't hold much positive opinions for the series following Sonic Advance at best and Sonic & Knuckles at worst.

Luigi87

Happy birthday Sonic.

One of the only two games I owned during the 16-bit era, but one I have many fond memories of.

That thing on the Amazon homepage is shockingly elaborate, lol. Sega must be gearing up for something big with the new game on the horizon.

Love that video. The inclusion of both Sonic Adventure and SADX (but not SA2 Battle, only SA2), threw me off until I realized they were doing one game per year.

EDIT: That video description, uh.

There might be a little secret hidden inside!

Amazon put this on their mai site on June 23th, Sonic's 25th birthday. There is a little easter egg inside, can you find it?

Sonic collected 9 rings. They showed 25 games. 9/25 release date for new Sonic /tinfoilhat

Sonic 2 is one of the ten or fifteen best games of all-time. OF ALL TIME.

If Sega tried harder, this could still be a premiere platformer series. Generations is the best platformer that I played all last generation, and platformers were well-represented last gen.

I played games before getting a Genesis, mostly Nintendo. But the Genesis was the first system I ever owned. I got it on Christmas 1991 and it came with Sonic 1. Sonic wasn't the first game I played by a long shot but it stands as the unique legacy of being the first game I ever owned.

It was so different from Mario. I could get a grasp on Mario, but Sonic was different, with its branching paths different planes and tiers in stages. Momentum, physics based platforming? It was all very new to me and I was also very bad at it. I was 7 years old, but I mean, I didn't have an NES and didn't have the opportunity to get good at games because before my game time was really limited. In Mario, beating a boss took one hit at most if you were up against Bowser. If you were playing 3, then it was 3 hits. I had Sonic 1 for months and hadn't managed to pass Green Hill Zone because of the boss. That's how bad, uncoordinated, and inexperienced at games I was. My dad played with as well and we couldn't get through the boss.

My dad went on a fishing trip with my cousin's half brother (half cousin? I don't know) and he told my dad that you have to hit the boss 8 times in order to progress. Sounds good. We managed to beat the first boss together. Eventually, after that point, we just started to get better and better. I beat Marble Zone, and then Spring Yard Zone was a bit tough, but I somehow got to beat that too, and then LABYRINTH ZONE, my nemesis. Beating Labyrinth Zone and going on to Scrap Yard Zone was one of the most fulfilling things I'd ever done in a game at that point.

Eventually I beat it. It took about a year or so. Sounds pathetic? I guess. But it was the first game I ever beat. I ran through the house cheering when I beat it, even if I found the ending a little unsatisfying.

Then I got Sonic 2 and dad and I were up to it again. The addition of 2 player mode made it even more fun. Sometimes I'd come home with mom from somewhere and he'd be playing Sonic 2 with the music cranked, haha. After that though, my dad just kind of stopped playing games with me. It makes me sad but the memories of Sonic and my growth as a game player, cutting my teeth on those games are some of my cherished memories playing games.

The sad part is that I can't enjoy them as much anymore beyond nostalgia. I think Sonic 1 is still great but Sonic 2 feels a bit lacking in almost every category. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is where I feel the Genesis games truly shine, but beyond that 16 bit era I can't even touch Sonic games much less enjoy them. Sonic 2 was my favorite game as a kid, but I don't even think it's good anymore. Despite the challenge that it took me to get good at these games, I now find them horrifically easy and actually prefer Mario now. Which I find so hilarious in its delicious irony.

I'm hoping others cut their teeth on Sonic games. I remember having an argument with a kid at school and he said Sonic sucked because it wasn't hard like Mega Man or Super Mario Bros 3. I had never played Mega Man so I didn't have a frame of reference. I felt bad because I found Sonic challenging as an inexperienced game player, and here this kid was telling me that it was a shallow experience. It just wasn't my experience with the games.

I really wish Sega would do right with the franchise. It has such a big part of my life from ages 7-10 and I just really wish I could play a great Sonic game again. Hopefully the 25th anniversary game is on the right track.

Happy birthday Sonic, we've had a rocky relationship but you're still my boo.

Bilollipop

The PAL region got the best Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) box art.

I'll always have a soft spot for the franchise... no matter how troubled it's recent past has been.
I bought a copy of Sonic 1 from a thriftshop and was positive it was from Europe because of that. Turns out this was back when Canada would sometimes get the superior PAL packaging :D

I still remember coming home from spending a month in Mexico and walking into my grandparents house and seeing my cousin playing Sonic 1 there. My 4 year old brain was blown. I've never stopped being interested in gaming since. Here's to another 25

soheil

Happy 25th Birthday to Sonic.

I can't believe how time passes so fast like this.

It feels like yesterday when I played Sonic the Hedgehog for first time.

Top Bottom