• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest Mario Level? [explain your answer, ModBot is watching...]

Pociask

Well I havent reached Champions Road yet, but these two stages always stuck out in my head as general pains in the ass. Somehow, the Tubular level in SMW was never that bad for me. Going in with two capes and a blue Yoshi makes it easily doable.

Anyway, my choices:

SMB1: 8-3

Level has always haunted me since childhood because of all of the damn Hammer Bros. It was a mesmerizing level at the time for me though at the young age of 7. Being BEHIND the castle walls just made me feel so accomplished and yet, scared out of my wits because I knew I was approaching the end and I had no idea what Bowser had in store.

SMB8-3.png

The joy of getting to start that level with a fireflower. The agony when you stupidly lose it, and know you've got to face those hammer bros. powerless.

Personally, while 8-3 sucked, the crazy hard jump at the end of 8-1 (I think? it might have been 8-2) was always harder for me.

Kodaman

Mario 3D World - Champion's Road

My explanation is that it if you stutter in your momentum, you are fucked. Don't time the jump on the block section? You're fucked. Hell, the game actively tries fucking with your timing too. They have you do wall jumps with spiked enemies ON those walls. Don't keep up with the moving water section? You're dead. And hell, I haven't even gotten to the dash section yet and that looks like a goddamn nightmare.

It took me about 8 hours and 300 lives to finish Champion's Road with no power-ups so I think I'll go with that.

The individual parts of the level are not extremely difficult but most of them take a good while to master. The problem is, the only way to practice them is to reach them from the very beginning, so it becomes a test of endurance, patience, and consistency. This is especially brutal because the final segment is the hardest, so you get stuck in the loop of having to redo 3 or 4 minutes worth of a rather challenging level just to get another shot at the final stretch. It can be pretty grueling, but it's very satisfying when you finally hit that flagpole.

Yoshi's Island is not a Mario game!

Gaf's been scaring the shit out of me with this stage.. I haven´t reached it yet. By now, I think when I do I'm gonna piss myself.

On topic, so far I'm gonna go with Tubular too.
Fuck those fireballs and their timing. Fuck those walls of flying turtles. Add the baseballs to the mess.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I guess I'll post my "qualifications" first:
- beaten Lost Levels on one life
- obtained all gold medals in NSMBU Challenge Mode
- cleared Champion's Road with every character, no power-ups, and taken no damage

Assuming a no power-up run, I think the hardest "normal" stage is Special 8 Crown from SM3D Land. It's just all about precise jumping with no room for error. But I've mentioned before that I can't see the stereoscopic 3D effect on this system and always feel like I'm playing this stage somewhat handicapped as a result, so take that for what it's worth. I actually gave up on this stage and just farmed Super Leaves for it.

If and only if you're using power-ups, then I think Champion's Road is more difficult than S8-Crown.

The hardest single task I've ever had to clear is Don't. Touch. Anything. from NSMBU. Just... watch it. Jesus christ. Playing Boost Mode challenges in singleplayer is also worth a mention. Hardest 2D Mario easily.

Nothing from the NES games or SMW come close to either of those. Lost Levels has a lot of notable stages (that one with nothing but green trampolines over several screen lengths of pits, that one castle stage with some obnoxiously placed fire bars, etc.) but that game is mostly a consistent level of high challenge without really ever breaking through to the truly obscene, and there are often strategically placed hidden items to help you through some of the worst offenders.

For SMB1, only World 8 stands out, and only because it's very much a "rich get richer, poor get poorer" dynamic once you lose your Fire Flower. World 8-4 of SMB1 is more difficult than 8-4 of Lost Levels for this reason.

SMB3 has a good number of challenging stages in Worlds 7 and 8 but the various power-ups keep them in check. Still challenging overall and really well-balanced on difficulty imo.

SMW is a joke of an easy game. Even Star Road is unremarkable. The worst thing about Tubular being the most challenging stage is that it's built around that stupid balloon gimmick instead of the platforming you play Super Mario for.

It's been too long since I've played SM64 to really recall how difficult some of it was.

SMG1 has some almost notable stages. Luigi's Purple Coins was the stage that convinced me that Galaxy's camera was terrible and 3DW's fixed camera was the way to go, as that stage is only difficult because the camera swings behind you with nothing you can do to control it.

NSMB doesn't have anything notable as far as I can remember.

NSMB2 has that DLC stage. I never did play through it.

NSMBW gets an honorable mention for 9-7, but it's not on the same level as those at the top of the post.

NSLU is "supposed" to be a harder game than NSMBU, and if you just count the main quest alone, then it's true, but NSMBU's Challenge Mode is still harder.

I haven't played SMG2 yet, so I can't comment on The Perfect Run.

Platy

Probably something on the last world of Super Mario 2 Lost Levels.

I reached the perfect run, I reached tubular, I reached World 9 in SMBWii .... I didn't even reached world 3 of Lost Levels =P

krae_man

Super Mario World - Tubular

This one just jumps right out to me as the hardest one I can remember. Visions of rage from my childhood trying to dodge those damned baseballs and little fire balls all the while trying to keep tabs on when your balloon power up was gonna run out.

Oh my god this.

bhGkqKS.png

Even with a Blue Yoshi and cape it's still a pain in the ass.

lt519

That said, I haven't played Super Luigi U yet. I've heard that one's a real menace. 2D platformers are my specialty, though, so maybe it won't be that much of a struggle.

Same here, I was raised on SMB3 and SMW so I have the patience for 2D platformers. NSLU is difficult, but not too bad because the levels are so bite-sized, there are no perfection required marathons like Champion's Road. You'd really enjoy NSLU though if 2D is your thing.

Bog

Junior Ace
For the western release it is, and probably only for marketing purposes. However the game was not called that in Japan, where it was made. Considering you dont play as Mario makes it difficult to call it a Mario game too. Again, with this logic all Yoshi games are now mainline Mario games.

So then SMB2 (USA) shouldn't be considered a mainline, right?

Lijik

Tubular, always Tubular

120503_otl_tubular_featured.jpg

This right here. Theres been difficult mario levels before, but this one took me years to accomplish and it was only through cheesing my way through it with the blue yoshi (and even that took me numerous attempts)

I dont think I've gone through the rest of the Special world either. I did another stage or two and called it because just clearing Tubular was satisfaction enough. The courses afterward just felt like spinning my wheels

I haven't yet played the two (three) Wii U games, but I remember something in NSMB Wii that was so damned hard, I ultimately had to give up. It's a really late level where, to get all the big coins, you have to at one point run down this horizontal corridor in the middle of the screen which is made completely of black mini piranha plants encased in ice, and there are full sized, fire spitting PP's in pipes. They thaw and activate (and kill I think) the minis, and one of the big coins is below everything. So you have to get them to make a hole in the living floor for you to drop down and get the coin, use a propeller hat to come back up, and do it fast, because the rest of the floor will disappear fast.

It's SO damn tough. And I've always been excellent at 2D platforming. I beat 100% of everything in all the old Marios, including Lost Levels and everything. I beat the two really insane trials in Guacamelee. But this... I couldn't quite do it.

I wish I could find a picture. It'd probably be easier than trying to explain it. It's literally the only thing ever in any Mario game that I just had to give up on. It kinda bugs me. I may go back and try it again one of these days.

EDIT: Here it is. Correction, the part I mean actually has COINS in the ice. So once they're melted, there's no getting back out. You can melt the cubes yourself with a fire flower, or let the plants (just off screen) do it. If you melt them yourself, the fireball skips down the line and melts every other cube. Either way, the plants take them all out fast anyway.

This shit:

Newsmb_1719.jpg

I guess getting that coin is optional, so I don't know if it counts as "hardest level", but damn that was hard.

Champions Road in 3D World is the hardest level in my opinion, at least at the moment. Especially if you try to do it with one of the non cheating characters (secret 5th I'm looking at you) and without any power ups.

Special shoutout to Fire Bar Sprint in New Super Luigi U. It's not hard once you figure out the perfect rhythm, but the trial and error of finding that pattern is pretty difficult. Once I managed to get a perfect run in that level I was just in awe of the great level design and what I had accomplished, haha.

That stupid water level in Sunshine that first takes 4 hours to reach with a Yoshi and then you are like FINALLY and now it's impossible and you die and respawn at the base island.

maxcriden

Yes, Mario Party 1. You have to rotate the analog stick as fast as you can to get a high score. I would get massive blisters on the palm of my hand trying to get an even higher score. I ended up using paint ball gloves to try and save my palm a little pain. They decided to remove that mechanic from future games in the series.

Ah yes, that infamous minigame. I don't remember if I ever played it, but I do remember reading about Nintendo giving away gloves to salve player's bruised hands:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040_3-237808.html

Esque7

So then SMB2 (USA) shouldn't be considered a mainline, right?
Why wouldn't it? It was clearly a mainline release in every territory, just with a slight name change.

Again, what's stopping the other Yoshi's island games from being considered Mario games then? Hell, I guess there isn't even such a thing as a Yoshi series now.

FuuRe

Tick Tock Clock in SM64

Maybe not the hardest overall but is my top 1 since i haven't played sunshine and sm3dw

Basically a small timing error becomes a free fall to your death or at best 3 floors down from where you were

Also the autoscrolling flying ship with the cannonball and wrenches galore, world 8 in SMB3

Anything from the eighth world in Super Mario 3 is way harder than any newer iterations. I absolutely loved those courses (specially the ones where you had to proceed because the screen would scroll really fast. Those were the only courses where I used the "P" wings.

Here in Brazil some would call those courses the "Ayrton Senna" ones because of the scrolling speed :p

Kyzon

Champion road and its my favorite Mario level of all time. The boost part is so good.

I play it often actually even though it's not too difficult anymore.

krae_man

I haven't yet played the two (three) Wii U games, but I remember something in NSMB Wii that was so damned hard, I ultimately had to give up. It's a really late level where, to get all the big coins, you have to at one point run down this horizontal corridor in the middle of the screen which is made completely of black mini piranha plants encased in ice, and there are full sized, fire spitting PP's in pipes. They thaw and activate (and kill I think) the minis, and one of the big coins is below everything. So you have to get them to make a hole in the living floor for you to drop down and get the coin, use a propeller hat to come back up, and do it fast, because the rest of the floor will disappear fast.

It's SO damn tough. And I've always been excellent at 2D platforming. I beat 100% of everything in all the old Marios, including Lost Levels and everything. I beat the two really insane trials in Guacamelee. But this... I couldn't quite do it.

I wish I could find a picture. It'd probably be easier than trying to explain it. It's literally the only thing ever in any Mario game that I just had to give up on. It kinda bugs me. I may go back and try it again one of these days.

EDIT: Here it is. Correction, the part I mean actually has COINS in the ice. So once they're melted, there's no getting back out. This shit:

hqdefault.jpg

I guess getting that coin is optional, so I don't know if it counts as "hardest level", but damn that was hard.

Yeah that level was a pain in the ass, but only because I kept trying to get all 3 star coins or whatever in one go. Once I stopped trying to do that, beating the stage and only going after 1 coin at a time made it way easier.

I'll throw out one from each of the more mainline entries, obviously not all difficult stages are created equal and some may be embellished by my memories.

SMB: 8-3, The stage where hammer bros learn they don't have to bro it up all the time and face you one on one without you getting the aid of platforms for them to jump around on, years since I last played it but thinking about those erratic hammer antics gives me the shivers.

SMB2 (USA): 7-2 I guess? it's the last stage of the game and more of a gauntlet than any other offering some alternative routes, it's not particularly tricky but hey the end of stage eagle thing tries to kill you which is worth something and Wart is a bit more potent than your standard Mario final boss.
Haven't played Lost Levels for many years now so I'll skip it.

SMB3: Off the top of my head the second fort in the Pipe World was quite a step up from the stages around it, thwomps, boos and lots of fireball spewing piranha plants which is kind of hinting towards bringing a hammer bro suit, even then you've got some platforming between pipes to contend with and lots of lava.

SMW: Tubular is an irritating stage, one hit is all it takes to end you and you have to avoid the SMW equivalent of bullet hell (that being the spewing of Volcano lotus plants and baseball lobbing Chargin' Chucks) with the P balloon powerup that has control and speed that leave a lot to be desired, on top of this you need to keep your balloon power topped up essentially putting you on a short timer, worst thing about Tubular? it's not even fun, at least Outrageous and the ice one have something more enjoyable going for them.

Yoshi's Island: Endless World of Yoshis/Crazy Maze Days
Yoshi's Island is never really that difficult at all unless it's throwing 1 hit KO stuff at you like say brambles, good news then because this stage makes you plummet down a bramble scattered chute with the flutter jump as your one aid in preventing a brambled backside, oh and you have to do it multiple times due the stages maze layout that will lead to looping back round to this point, moreso if you go for 100 points and i'm pretty sure it's the hardest stage to get 100 points in.

Super Mario 64: Wing Mario Over the Rainbow
Well it's either this of the tedium of getting 100 coins in Dire Dire Docks or Rainbow Ride, anyway this is one of the "secret" courses which isn't all that secret. Collect 8 red coins scattered across various clouds using the winged cap and cannons, the downside? well you're flying over an abyss for one thing and you start losing altitude with the wing cap pretty quick, if you aren't able to make it back to some sort of land or run out of cap time you're gonna fall to your death....except it's actually worse than death, you fall into the moat outside the castle meaning to retry you have to run all the way back up, truly barbaric.

Super Mario Sunshine: A selection of 8 red coin tasks that are as bad as each other, be it the glitchy pachinko machine,using the lilypad across the poisonous water or "i'm a chuckster" SMS manages to give host to a selection of tasks difficult for the wrong reasons and some of the only stuff listed here that just actually sucks.

Super Mario Galaxy: Dreadnoughts purple coins
Fight against controls and camera trying to nab every coin in a cannon filled forced scrolling kerfuffle, runner ups to some of the daredevils runs mainly the lava spire or bouldergeist off the top of my head.

Super Mario Galaxy 2: The Perfect Run
An expected but very true answer, not one bit of damage is allowed through this gauntlet of tricky tasks which for that reason alone makes it the toughest of the 3D Mario tasks even if the stage itself isn't quite as platforming intensive as the following two.

3D Land: S Crown
Well it's not like anything else in this entry was particularly tough, can't say I like this stage either, who thought putting a miniboss in a stage like this was a good idea? makes every retry more tedious than it needs to be.

3D World: Champion's Road
You might just be seeing a trend with these last three choices, the beat/beep block section will humble all who enter, I'd say it's the most enjoyable of these last three stages.

Bonus
Super Mario Land 2: Wario's castle, oh so that's why there's an easy mode option, the king of Mario difficulty spikes right here and the slippery controls don't help for some of the later bits, long stage as well.

New Super Mario Bros Wii: 9-7, aka the one where the floor is made of ice and everything trying to kill you spits fire that can melt the ice blocks, that one fire bro and the third star coin create the trickiest to obtain star coin in the game.
I briefly tried to think of anything for the handheld NSMB games and just felt like having a chuckle instead, then I recalled NSMB2 having some ball breaking DLC so lets not forget that.

New Super Mario Bros U: Challenge Mode, I'm not even sure what the worst one is, just know that there are plenty. I'll take 645's word for it and go with "don't touch anything", it's like every coin has become a death dealing spike and some of their placements are just too much for me to even look at without feeling uneasy.

New super Luigi U: Fire Bar Sprint, requires a very specific timing to actually get through perfectly which you'll need to in order get the last star coin that deflated my glory on my first completion of the stage as you need to at least be normal sized to break the blocks trapping it.

Duster

SMB3: Parabeetle level (World 6)

Probably the only level outside of a couple in World 8 that I would purposely skip over thanks to the Cloud powerup. I have of course played through it cheesily using a P-Wing, but the amount of times Ive gotten the balls to go rawdog with zero powerups and pure skill to just jump from small beetle to small beetle? I can count those on one hand.

SMB3_Famigaga4.png

You'd really hate this e-reader level, jumping between two beetles in order to get them at just the right height took ages to get the hang of.
http://youtu.be/xEy9g3Ipa08

Normally I'd say the impossible pack from NSMB2 but I suppose that's three levels.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really looking forward to Champion's Road with all the mentions here, picking the game up tomorrow probably.

I've played World 8 in SMB3 so many times that it's hard to remember how difficult it really is, I have more trouble with levels in World 7 or even the water levels than I do 8 because I always used the warp whistles growing up.

8-3 from SMB remains the toughest imo.

Pociask

New Super Mario Bros Wii: 9-7, aka the one where the floor is made of ice and everything trying to kill you spits fire that can melt the ice blocks, that one fire bro and the third star coin create the trickiest to obtain star coin in the game.

F that star coin. I never got it. The one star coin that laughed at all my attempts to get it. Angry. Anger. Flames. Shooting up my face.

Camp Lo

Banned
The flying auto scrolling levels in world 8 on SMB3. When I was younger, it was a definite run ender. Making those massive leaps with minimal speed was rough.

Linkyn

For me, it's a tie between Champion's Road and World 9-7 in NSMB Wii. The first just because completing it is quite challenging, and the second because getting all the star coins makes it a hybrid between a speedrun and a level that requires perfectly executed jumps.

Linkyn

Edit:

New super Luigi U: Fire Bar Sprint, requires a very specific timing to actually get through perfectly which you'll need to in order get the last star coin that deflated my glory on my first completion of the stage as you need to at least be normal sized to break the blocks trapping it.

That one took me a while, too. Beating any of these is really an affirmation of your gaming skills. There's nothing that can help you win but your reflexes and pure focus.

Sorry for double post :/

Coketruck

There are harder ones, but the first ones I think of when I hear "hard Mario levels" are Tubular and Awesome from the Special World in SMW.

Sooooo many lives lost to those levels when I was a kid.

haha oh Tubular, that made me so mad as a kid, just countless deaths and many strategic options thought of.

did it in the end though B^)

special shout out to mysterious hotel delfino in super mario sunshine, I was going bonkers at that stage I still have trouble to this day

Busaiku

The Perfect Run
You can't get touched, and everything is trying to kill you.

Comparatively, in Champion's Road, you have so much leniency.

Narroo

My memory is pretty bad when it comes to this series as I haven't played a lot of them in a long time.

But I gotta say Super Mario 3D Land's S8-Crown without the raccoon suit.

It requires a ton of precision jumping and has almost every single stage element in the game shoved in your face where a single mistake either out right kills you or can screw you over and when you get near the end of it shadow mario comes out and starts to chase you during it all.

Raccoon suit does make it a million times easier though which is a damn shame.

So for me this is the hardest mario level in recent memory at least.
Edit: I haven't played Mario 3D World yet but from the sounds of it Champion's Road is even worse. Avoiding seeing it as much as I can though I like to be surprised :p

That level? The only truly hard part was this one jump that was a perspective screw and so was hard to land just right. Past that one jump, it only took me like 2 tries to get to the end...where I immediately suicided. Heh.

thomaser

Grandmaster Galaxy: The Perfect Run in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Why? It's the only level I have played but never been able to complete in a Super Mario game*. I could likely do it if I were to sit down and try for an hour or two, but it hasn't happened yet.

* Still haven't seen the last levels in New Super Luigi, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario 3D World.

The joy of getting to start that level with a fireflower. The agony when you stupidly lose it, and know you've got to face those hammer bros. powerless.

Personally, while 8-3 sucked, the crazy hard jump at the end of 8-1 (I think? it might have been 8-2) was always harder for me.

It was 8-1. It's easy if you know the trick. Don't run. Do the jump without running and you will always land on that platform. Every time.

Crayolan

It has to be Champion's Road. It's the level that took me the longest and the most lives, even more than The Perfect Run.

Admittedly I never did 100% SMW with Star Road and Special World, and never finished Lost Levels, so those might have some harder levels in them.

Mario Galaxy, that Luigi's purple coins level with the disappearing platforms (when you step on them). You had to get 100 purple coins. It's one of the few times I've wanted to break my wiimote in half.

jnWake

I don't remember much of the NES and SNES games so I'll skip them...

SM64 - As a kid I remember suffering a lot in Tick Tock Clock. Not as hard as stuff in later games but it was quite challenging.

SMG1 & 2 - Galaxy 1 wasn't very hard really, only the 3 green stars at the end were hard IMO, but they aren't really platformingso... Galaxy 2 was a lot harder, I remember having a lot of trouble finding some green stars but The Perfect Run is by far the hardest thing in that game. It took me so long to accomplish...

NSMBWii - 9-7 was indeed quite challenging to clear with all 3 coins in one run, so it deserves a mention.

NSMBU - I found the level with the P-Switches in Star World to be quite hard in solo play. Also, Don't Touch Anything is stupidly hard. I can barely believe I managed to clear it!

SM3DW - I haven't cleared Champion's Road yet (just unlocked it actually) so I can't say much here. The rest of the levels weren't that challenging, even though I had some trouble clearing the one with the "sad face" blocks.

I don't know, but for anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of trophies and achievements or why Nintendo should get in on them, here you go. I want to beat every damn thing listed in this thread, and I want a row of sparkly Mario platinums so everyone knows it.

Top Bottom