• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardest Mario Level? [explain your answer, ModBot is watching...]

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't know, but for anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of trophies and achievements or why Nintendo should get in on them, here you go. I want to beat every damn thing listed in this thread, and I want a row of sparkly Mario platinums so everyone knows it.

That's what the stamps are for.

Hypron

I don't know, but for anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of trophies and achievements or why Nintendo should get in on them, here you go. I want to beat every damn thing listed in this thread, and I want a row of sparkly Mario platinums so everyone knows it.

This. Mario games are the perfect candidates for skill based (aka. good) achievements.

The last level of SMB3. I played through all the other games to this point and still haven't beaten it.

Mario games have always had built in rewards/achievements though?

Kinsei

Banned
I don't see how the camera ia "out to screw you over" in that part. Its at a 45 degree angle, and you can adjust the camera to make it so you're running forward/upward into the screen, or to the right.

still really hard though. allows very little error in your jumps

I was always too scared to take my thumb off the jump button to try and adjust the camera. I still think it's the hardest challenge in a Mario game even without me having a really stupid moment that makes it harder.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've never been frustrated more often than playing Lost Levels. the spring stages alone will make your blood boil.

maxcriden

The last level of SMB3. I played through all the other games to this point and still haven't beaten it.

Mario games have always had built in rewards/achievements though?

This one took me quite a bit of time, too. I've only beaten the SMA version, I'm not sure if the original is significantly harder. You can do it, though! It's very hard, but it is doable. Definitely a case where practice makes perfect.

Majukun

maybe it was just because i was a child at the time,but some of the levels of the 7th world in mario bros 3 were brutal

I actually had more problems beating world 7 than the eighth one

Either Tubular (was the only Special Zone stage that gave me serious trouble when I first tried playing the area; having to use a P-Balloon fly over a bottomless pit under the P-Balloon's fairly strict time limit, all the while dodging a whole slew of enemy fire, touching any of which would cause you to fall into the pit and die instantly, meant I kept dying over and over until it eventually "clicked") or that secret area in Super Mario Sunshine that you reach by getting a Yoshi over to a small island far out into the ocean via no less than three boats/gondolas (whereupon you're rewarded for all that effort with what basically amounts to a quickly-autoscrolling 8 red coins challenge atop precarious footing over instant-kill slime, arguably taking even more effort to complete the area than the already absurd amount of effort required just to reach it).

KHlover

Banned
Either Tubular (was the only Special Zone stage that gave me serious trouble when I first tried playing the area; kept dying over and over until it eventually "clicked") or that secret area in Super Mario Sunshine that you reach by getting a Yoshi over to a small island far out into the ocean via no less than three boats/gondolas (whereupon you're rewarded for all that effort with what basically amounts to a quickly-autoscrolling 8 red coins challenge atop precarious footing over instant-kill slime, arguably taking even more effort to complete the area than the already absurd amount of effort required just to reach it).
Fuck that level.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It was that Sandbird level from Super Mario Sunshine. I remember having a hard-ass time grabbing all those damned blue coins you needed to get that star.

THE RAGEBIRD

I don't know if I would consider it the hardest as some of the platforming secret levels I thought might be considered a bit harder but the Sandbird was probably the hardest required level in Sunshine. It was really rough, because you needed 8 coins to finish the level but the final one wasn't visible so you'd never know right off the bat you have to survive until the bird gets to maximum altitude to get it.

If you do manage to survive that long it was a very precise jump to get to the tower I believe, also surviving the bird going on its side was always horrifying.

zma1013

The hardest level in a Mario game is the minus world from Super Mario Bros. The only winning move is not to play.

jcracken

Banned
I played through all of SMG 1 and part of SMG 2, and New Super Mario Bros on DS.

For me at least, I would always get stuck in that loop in the last world in NSMB where if you beat the final castle it unlocks a few more stages including the final real castle.

I don't remember exactly which level, but one of those levels I would always die on, get sent back to before the loop and have to go through it all over again. I ended up ragequiting it in disgust.

My 8 year old cousin got it after me and beat it before me.

maxcriden

Finally got to Champion's Road and I'm terrible at it so far. I've made it to the beat blocks a few times but haven't figured out how to do them yet. Playing with Luigi. (No tips, please, hoping to figure it out myself.)

Finally got to Champion's Road and I'm terrible at it so far. I've made it to the beat blocks a few times but haven't figured out how to do them yet. Playing with Luigi. (No tips, please, hoping to figure it out myself.)

In case you give up:

Spin-jump for the double blocks
. Works for Mario, anyways.

sackferret

Neo Member

I've been at it for a while and still can't beat it. I've made it to the
boost pads
about three times, and they're fucking hard. One day I'll do it. One day.

About Tubular, I never knew that you could pass the stage using a blue Yoshi! I always passed it with the P-Balloon, it isn't that hard.

My choice for SMW would be Valley Fortress, the one to open the path to the Secret Door. In this one you must master the cape slow descent technique to avoid getting crushed or falling into a pit. And if you don't have a cape, too bad then. Also, because it's a fortress you can't Blue-Yoshi your way out.

My choice is Awesome from Super Mario World. It's ice, single block jumps, all kinds of enemies everywhere, you basically can't stop at all. For a while it really felt impossible to beat.
Holy crap! I forgot this one, you just had to take that star to go through that wall-o-enemies.

Still, most of the stages in Lost Levels are harder that these ones, LOL. Also, I could never pass Perfect Run without my brother neutralizing enemies with the 2nd controller.

maxcriden

I have to say, I'm playing through the original Yoshi's Island for the first time and 100%ing the levels seems almost impossible at least the first time through. Even when I try to collect all of the stars, red coins, and flowers, I have not once gotten a score of 100 on a level yet. I'm playing the GBA version if that makes any difference. It's extremely fun, though.

haven't play NSMBU,NSLU or SM3DW yet... so my pick will be
all 3 levels from Impossible Pack - New Super Mario Bros 2 .... bought it and cant finish it ...it just brutal....

angrygnat

Two levels in Super Mario Sunshine. One was a jetpackless level. The other was just trying to get to the top of a wall on Isle Delphino. I sat down several times with the attitude that I wasnt stopping till i had beaten them. I finally gave up. Wish I could remember what levels specificly.

prag16

Banned
The original Super Mario Bros gets pretty messed up near the end. So much so that I have never actually finished it and I have gone back to it countless times over the last 20 years +.

I dont think there is one singular level but if you are not using warp zones and infinite 1up exploits that game is will mess you up.

I've beaten it with warp zones many times. But yeah... without either that or a lot of 1ups in reserve, it is tough.

No way to power up in World 8 hurts too. Get to 8-3 already small Mario? You're nearly fucked.

Axass

I didn't play any of the Wii U ones, but completed all the others.

All but one.

Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) is one of the hardest games I've ever played, I reached the last castle, but I couldn't finish it. The last world is crazy difficult, with constant need of perfect timed jumps, hidden exits and tricks everywhere.

I can't think any other Mario game even coming close, I gotta admit that the Crown level from 3D Land wasn't easy, but I've managed to complete it twice in a row once I've got a grip on it.

SMB2 is just hellish, and even if you beat the last castle (without secret pipes), you get a few secret worlds to complete...

Top Bottom