• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the Overload of JRPGs harmed Final Fantasy XV?

I feel like people are lukewarm on FFXV in general, competition has nothing to do with it. They've made a lot of polarizing choices with the game.

That being said: There is only one king of JRPGs, and his name is Ni No Kuni 2.

latest

Crayon

XIII was bad. Seems like yesterday. So bad. The demo currently up of 15 is bad. The showings at e3 were bad. The theme with the bad on a road trip is somewhat appealing.

It looks like a wreck on it's own.

It's still my most anticipated game but I feel like the marketing is super weird. The way that they show off the game seems at odds with what it might actually end up being. It's supposed to have this vast world, but they spent a year focusing almost exclusively on Duscae. Tabata has said that the game isn't just one big road trip, but you'd never know it because most promo material is about the car, camping and so on. Meanwhile, they drop random videos on Twitter showing snippets of things like Wait Mode, exploring a gorgeous city, the airship flying over all these different environments, combat that looks smooth and fun and not at all like the Titan demo, etc.

I'm convinced that there's much more to the game. Good or bad, it could go either way, but I think the marketing has failed FFXV so far.

FStubbs

Those aren't really the games Final Fantasy XV is competing with. It's trying to be a blockbuster release, so the competition is Battlefield 1, Mafia 3, Watch Dogs 2, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Gear of War 4, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, and anything else I'm forgetting that's hoping for 5+ million copies this Fall with a strong enthusiast audience.

Every single of those will outsell FF15 - with the exception of Watch Dogs 2 it wouldn't be surprising if they all sold over twice as much.

I think with the rise of huge wRPGs on consoles the "doesn't play jRPGs but plays Final Fantasy" crowd doesn't really exist anymore. Most of that crowd only played FF for lack of better AAA options and now they have them.

Uthred

The first is a Wii-U exclusive, the second was universally panned and none of the others are out or will be out before FFXV. Hardly an "overload"

Lothars

Nope and FFXV will do just fine, Yeah you have negativity from a minority of posters here but it won't matter once the game is out.

Brashnir

The fact that it's a terrible-looking game and manages to somehow look even worse every time they show it is what's killing it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've got it preordered and fully paid off on PSN, and I'll play it day one. But yeah...pretty much only for the OST and artstyle. I can't stand Tabata and his "The audience only connects with characters with penises" bullshit. The demos were complete ass. The E3 showing was garbagey as all hell.

But shit...after all this time... No way I can miss this game. If only to enjoy the trainwreck first hand.

wmlk

I've got it preordered and fully paid off on PSN, and I'll play it day one. But yeah...pretty much only for the OST and artstyle. I can't stand Tabata and his "The audience only connects with characters with penises" bullshit. The demos were complete ass. The E3 showing was garbagey as all hell.

But shit...after all this time... No way I can miss this game. If only to enjoy the trainwreck first hand.

That's s really contrived way of saying that you would prefer a female character in the main group. It didn't have to be.

I don't even think about most of those other games, so that can't be it.

The bigger problem for me is that the gameplay in XV feels like a chaotic mess, and without having an evenly good gameplay experience each time I try it I'm getting less and less interested in it.

That's embarrassing and its childish

I don't care about the hype. I liked what I see so far and I've already pre ordered and will take a vacation leave just to play the shit out of this game when it's released.

Paracelsus

That's s really contrived way of saying that you would prefer a female character in the main group. It didn't have to be.

Just another victim of severe cognitive dissonance, because anybody who thinks FFXV is a sexist-to-females male power fantasy is way off the mark. This is the audience FFXV is going after

tumblr_inline_mmwqfu3xouka.png

SMG

FF XV is a mess a decade in the making, the 'Overload' is nothing more than others coming to fill the void left when S-E fucked themselves with 13.

chefbags

"If only to enjoy the trainwreck..."

Well I'm glad to see you look forward to playing games that you somehow already know is shit even though it's not even released yet.

AmuroChan

I've seen nothing of FFXV that really excites me, and FFVI is my favorite game of all time. I'm way more excited for Trails of Cold Steel 2 this Fall.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I feel that the main problem is that nowadays a ton of AAA mainstream releases have RPG like progression systems, were characters do power up, so they end up competing against FF, and in many cases doing this better for a lot of players.

Lynx_7

Yup because Nomura announcing a game in 2006 and not having anything to show for it several years later is a lot better than Tabata taking over in 2012/2013 and getting to a point where the game can come out in 2016.

I don't get why people always feel the need to point fingers at Nomura and how he supposedly can't get a game done in a timely manner whenever trying to defend Tabata.
I mean, I'd imagine it's pretty hard to get a project as big as this finished when your company keeps taking away your team to work on XIII sequels and fixing the hot mess that was vanilla XIV. Versus XIII was obviously not a priority for Square at the time, and their management was kind of a mess last gen and I don't see how this is Nomura's fault.

Something a lot of people also fail to mention is that, in said period of time Nomura apparently spent doing nothing but "wasting resources" on Versus XIII, he directed and released Birth By Sleep, 358/2 days, Coded, Dream Drop Distance and also played a big part in The World Ends With You. Meanwhile, in the same period of time, Tabata directed Crisis Core, The 3rd Birthday and Type-0. Doesn't look like there's some huge discrepancy between the two of them as far as productivity is concerned.

Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to be doing just fine right now. I'm also pretty sure Square wouldn't have given him what is arguably their most important project in years if he was some incompetent slob who couldn't get a game off the ground to save his life.

I get it, it's boring to see people complain about Tabata all the time and wonder what the project would've been like had Nomura stayed as a Director, but there's no need to keep pushing this "only Tabata could get things done" narrative. And I say this as someone who isn't very fond of Nomura's works (to be fair, neither do I care much for Tabata's) and is still interested in the game in its current form.

I don't get why people always feel the need to point fingers at Nomura and how he supposedly can't get a game done in a timely manner whenever trying to defend Tabata.
I mean, I'd imagine it's pretty hard to get a project as big as this finished when your company keeps taking away your team to work on XIII sequels and fixing the hot mess that was vanilla XIV. Versus XIII was obviously not a priority for Square at the time, and their management was kind of a mess last gen and I don't see how this is Nomura's fault.

Something a lot of people also fail to mention is that, in said period of time Nomura apparently spent doing nothing but "wasting resources" on Versus XIII, he directed and released Birth By Sleep, 358/2 days, Coded, Dream Drop Distance and also played a big part in The World Ends With You. Meanwhile, in the same period of time, Tabata directed Crisis Core, The 3rd Birthday and Type-0. Doesn't look like there's some huge discrepancy between the two of them as far as productivity is concerned.

Kingdom Hearts 3 seems to be doing just fine right now. I'm also pretty sure Square wouldn't have given him what is arguably their most important project in years if he was some incompetent slob who couldn't get a game off the ground to save his life.

I get it, it's boring to see people complain about Tabata all the time and wonder what the project would've been like had Nomura stayed as a Director, but there's no need to keep pushing this "only Tabata could get things done" narrative. And I say this as someone who isn't very fond of Nomura's works (to be fair, neither do I care much for Tabata's) and is still interested in the game in its current form.
You know what ur right on the pointing the finger. Just really tired of the Tabata pile on.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's harming FFXV is expectations, unrealistic ones that is.

I have this feeling it won't get high scores because reviewers are expecting something else.

Squire

Banned

Considering all the pandering to meatheads they're doing with Cidney, I agree, we should word our criticisms as simply as possible so everyone can follow.

Lynx_7

You know what ur right on the pointing the finger. Just really tired of the Tabata pile on.

It's alright, I know it can be frustating to see people being negative on something you're really excited about. Sorry if I came across a little defensive myself, I just kind of used your post as a reason to speak about the subject since I see a fair amount of people bringing it up whenever Nomura is mentioned in a XV thread and I don't really feel like it's totally fair to blame the guy as the sole reason for why the project had such a convoluted development. lol

It's alright, I know it can be frustating to see people being negative on something you're really excited about. Sorry if I came across a little defensive myself, I just kind of used your post as a reason to speak about the subject since I see a fair amount of people bringing it up whenever Nomura is mentioned in a XV thread and I don't really feel like it's totally fair to blame the guy as the sole reason for why the project had such a convoluted development. lol
Nah ur fine wasn't defensive at all or rather we both were in that case. Honestly just hoping they both can get it right tabata with ffxv and Nomura with kh3 and 7 remake.

Top Bottom