• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the Overload of JRPGs harmed Final Fantasy XV?

SlickVic

I don't know. I still see Final Fantasy as a series having a lot more mainstream awareness than the typical JRPG. Of the JRPG's listed in the post, I'd say FFXV is the one I can most see the "average" gamer potentially buying. Personally Persona 5 is my most anticipated game on that list, but I am curious to see how FFXV turns out.

The good games in that list come out after ffxv. So they won't harm sales. The rest of those games are mediocre or unknown quantities like Setsuna. So no, FFXV is on a hype train right now and none of those titles are good enough, and those that are, aren't coming soon enough to matter.

Honestly never in a million years would I have expected an overload of JRPGs right here, right now. It pleases me greatly. And to answer the question, no.

Ravage

Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts III are the only games in the list that could divert attention away from XV, and none of them are launching this year.

Cynar

I'd also add the awful demos have also harmed it (with bad combat).

Yuuuup. That pretty much covers it. Now, to depart before the defence force arrives.
Don't forget it's not even a jrpg unless you count the whole boy band theme.

Lol. Dampened the hype, huh? I guess that's GAF for you.

Preorders for the game are higher than ever, folks. We didn't lose any copies after E3, though the MS showing didn't earn it any new ones for the XB1 version, it seems like.

It's one of the highest preordered games I have in my list of SKUs right now, it's been accumulating for awhile, but the PS4 SKU has been building steady and after some of the showings with Uncovered and so on, it's gotten solid boosts. I think it's going to do well for itself.

Not COD numbers or anything. But that would be absurd anyway.

Edit - By the way, this thread is hilarious. Seriously guys. Hyperbole out the ass, oh my god you all are amazing. <3

Reminds me of 13 and we all know how that turned out.

I'm just glad 12 is getting a rerelease because that's the last game that actually somewhat felt like a final fantasy game.

Nope. Kinda surprised some think this is an overload. But no I've been waiting for FFXV since 10th grade. 10 years. It and KHIII are the games I can retire to.... Well also FFVIIremake and FFXII HD.

Ray Down

Banned
It's more of an action game to me. Kinda like how mass effect went to Mass effect 2 except not as good.

Except it having more action combat doesn't make it any less of a JRPG. It's an action JRPG, do action games have cites, party members, guest party members, 40 to 50 hour lengths, side quests, NPC's.

It's core gameplay may be an action game, but the structure of the game is that of an RPG.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Except it having more action combat doesn't make it any less of a JRPG. It's an action JRPG, do action games have cites, party members, guest party members, 40 to 50 hour lengths, side quests, NPC's.
Yakuza, Akiba's Trip, heck could even put something like Bully in there. Lots of not-rpgs have sidequests an npcs... heck some action games are even longer than many rpgs (very few rpgs come anywhere close to 40 hours). From what little I know about FFXV though I'd say its still an rpg, just an action/rpg like many others which have come before it.

I assume you mean jRPG since Skyrim, The Witcher 3, and Mass Effect are huge. And I'm guessing you're counting Kingdom Hearts as part of FF, otherwise that's your easy answer.

Didn't Tales of Symphonia sell a ton?

Yeah, JRPG was implied. I think Tales of Symphonia did a bit under a million, which was the only example I could think of from the top of my head.

Dark_castle

The only titles in that list that can even remotely compete with XV in sales are KH3, VII remake and DQXI, and I still think XV would come out on top.

Now if it's a question of critical reception, then it's a different question altogether. I do think VII remake kinda puts XV into shame from a certain perspective. They both have action-based combat, but one is far more active, engaging than the other with character switching on top of that, VII Remake also had slightly better visual. XV has a kind of an open world, but at this point, I'm not even sure I like open world anymore.

MoonFrog

I want FFXV to be good, but I don't think it'll be good or, at least, I don't think that it'll be what I want it to be. I mean, I know in some ways it won't just from what we know, but I hope it rises above and proves itself as a mainstream JRPG that I also want to play. I think it'd be good for the genre, the Japanese industry, and, well, us if FF came back in a big way.

But no, I don't think it's burden has anything to do with other JRPGs. It has to do with what FF is trying to be, which is a non-niche, western relevant, stylish and Japanese but not too 'anime,' etc. That's not something JRPGs tend to go for.

Evilkazzz

Banned
With:
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
I am Setsuna
Ni No Kuni 2
Persona 5
Dragon Quest 11
Ys 8
..and over a dozen more it’s easy to feel that Final Fantasy 15's hype has been diminished. I've been following this game since it was revealed as Final Fantasy Verses 13. The reveal as FF15 made it one of my most anticipated games...but now I feel like I'm losing interest.

I'm 1000% sure it'll sell the best out of all of those games (barring FF7 possibly), so I'm not worried.

I think stronger competition is a good thing. Though FFXV is shaping up nicely Persona 5 is appealing to me as a fan of the SMT/persona series to my core which has me more hyped.

RalchAC

Yakuza, Akiba's Trip, heck could even put something like Bully in there. Lots of not-rpgs have sidequests an npcs... heck some action games are even longer than many rpgs (very few rpgs come anywhere close to 40 hours). From what little I know about FFXV though I'd say its still an rpg, just an action/rpg like many others which have come before it.

Most character designs are really Japanese (not just the main party), there are progression systems, a focus on a single story as opposed to the branching dialogue and multiple endings that happen in most WRPGs, the classic flying-ship late-game unlock that is typical in them and many more traits that are really JRPG-ish.

Just watch the cutscenes, with the swords flying around him, how close-ups are done in cutscenes and stuff. It's really Japanese.

At this point the game even has a "Pause" button. If you remove the GoW-like setpieces and the difference in art style, the basic approach isn't that different from a series like Tales of.

Both are real time action battle systems, but you can pause the game at any given time to give some commands to a party member (like using a spell, or using this item).

Just because FF has developed a different art style that doesn't use cell-shading and employs more realistic proportions compared to anime doesn't make it less Japanese. Just more palatable to a mainstream Western audience.

FFXV is as Japanese as a game can get without having characters whose eyes are as big as apples. And it's an RPG.

Barely any of these have even been released, none have FF15's budget and scope, and if anything, they just help to draw attention to the genre again. JRPG's have been dead for a decade.

I'm trying, but I just can't see any logic behind what you're saying, OP.

Of the big games on your list , FF15 is also one of the first ones out the gate. Which already negates pretty much everything you're saying.

Narroo

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Kingdom Hearts 3
I am Setsuna
Ni No Kuni 2
Persona 5
Dragon Quest 11
Ys 8

Really, that's not many games over the time span they're actually coming out; some of those have yet to be released. Worse, several of those are B games.

Also, Ys, KH3 and apparently FFVII:RE are a far cry from games like I am Setsuna and Ni No Kuni 2, so depending on your tastes they're may be little overlap.

Narroo

It's core gameplay may be an action game, but the structure of the game is that of an RPG.

It's one of those things were RPG is ill defined. Looks of people call games like Kingdom Hearts an ARPG before they tack on the J-.

The issue is that the OP lumped several different types of RPGs under a single banner, which is misleading. It's like calling Diablo, Dragon Quest, and The Elder Scrolls all 'RPGs' and saying they're the same.

Otherwise, I think less people would have the issue of tacking on the J-.

Cynar

I don't know. It's looking like this game isn't going to have cities or cities styled like 13 so I'd still qualify this as more of an action game than RPG. This is the first final fantasy I'm not buying at launch and I'll wait until it's in the bargain bin. 13 dipped pretty fast after launch and I remember being mad about that as well as the game being a mess.

FFXV harmed FFXV. It just looks like such an incredibly disjointed mess. Luckily for JRPG fans, Tokyo Mirage Sessions turned out surprisingly good.

Serious question, is the Final Fantasy name still a "big" name in the industry? Personally and anecdotally, it is one of those franchises that fell into the mud.

nah, just persona 5 was enough
I wish we could have a legit discussion instead of these drive bys. Persona can not probably will never be able to harm final fantasy.

To the people saying the harm was done by ffxv itself that's the only right answer here. Bad showings, miscommunication,the long troubled history on everyones mind. Ffxv is the only thing that can harm ffxv

AnGer

Serious question, is the Final Fantasy name still a "big" name in the industry? Personally and anecdotally, it is one of those franchises that fell into the mud.

I am led to believe it is still big, despite the name having been dragged through the mud in the last decade or so, partially because of the god-awful XIII trilogy, partially because of other screw-ups like the launch of vanilla XIV, partially because fandom keeps bitching about the series not having been good since <pick an entry from VI through XII>.

Whether or not Final Fantasy will still be a "big thing" is something we will very much NOT find out in September/October. The question of whether XV will be something transformative can't be answered until a few years down the line and the question of Final Fantasy being a name worth something again won't be answered until XVI and XVII are out and turn out to be good in most capacities.

I don't know. It's looking like this game isn't going to have cities or cities styled like 13 so I'd still qualify this as more of an action game than RPG. This is the first final fantasy I'm not buying at launch and I'll wait until it's in the bargain bin. 13 dipped pretty fast after launch and I remember being mad about that as well as the game being a mess.

What?

How is this anything like XIII's cities?

giphy.gif
[/QUOTE]

Altissia is explorable, full of NPCs, shops, and side content. Looks more on par with Novigrad than anything else this gen.

I am led to believe it is still big, despite the name having been dragged through the mud in the last decade or so, partially because of the god-awful XIII trilogy, partially because of other screw-ups like the launch of vanilla XIV, partially because fandom keeps bitching about the series not having been good since <pick an entry from VI through XII>.

Whether or not Final Fantasy will still be a "big thing" is something we will very much NOT find out in September/October. The question of whether XV will be something transformative can't be answered until a few years down the line and the question of Final Fantasy being a name worth something again won't be answered until XVI and XVII are out and turn out to be good in most capacities.

Final Fantasy Type-0 wasn't too hotly recieved either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Those aren't really the games Final Fantasy XV is competing with. It's trying to be a blockbuster release, so the competition is Battlefield 1, Mafia 3, Watch Dogs 2, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Gear of War 4, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, and anything else I'm forgetting that's hoping for 5+ million copies this Fall with a strong enthusiast audience.

Aters

PSX era had far more JRPGs, and FF did just fine. If FFXV is good, nothing can stop it from selling well. If FFXV is not good, other JRPGs coming out at the same time are the last to blame for poor performance.

Squire

Banned
Those aren't really the games Final Fantasy XV is competing with. It's trying to be a blockbuster release, so the competition is Battlefield 1, Mafia 3, Watch Dogs 2, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Gear of War 4, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, and anything else I'm forgetting that's hoping for 5+ million copies this Fall with a strong enthusiast audience.

Yep. I very much doubt it has the pull the rest of these do. It's been a long time since the last good mainline FF (I do mean XII) and as repeated in this thread as bays run, their XV marketing is bad more often than not.

I think you're overestimating it. Unless marketing for it is amazing, which outside of Japan, it hasn't been.

Marketing is worth discussing for FFXV because it's actively trying to hit a high number of copies sold as a AAA release. Persona 5 doesn't have that pressure. You're better off comparing it to an indie game like, say, Rocket League. That's been a runaway success because review scores are high and word of mouth matches them. They aren't showing ads for it on Spike TV.

That's not to say P5 is going to do as well as RL, but it's the reviews for and general reputation of the game that will really play a part in its success, not a huge ad spend. P4G was the exact same way.

Wagram

I'm honestly more curious about how it will be received and the impact it'll have on the franchise than I am about playing it at this point. If it releases and it's fantastic, then that's awesome. If it's bad, I truly believe critics will maul the game significantly and it's going to really impact sales and the franchise. If that happens i'm extremely curious to see what happens for XVI. Do they continue down this route or do they turn back the clock? Will mainstream consumers even care for XVI? This is the first year in my memory that people (not everyone) were actually frustrated and didn't want a main FF title to be on stage. That's not a good sign.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FF15 is an RPG, otherwise games like Dark Souls would not be considered RPGs. Just because its not a classic type RPG doesn't mean its not an RPG.

Also...as someone said above, this is the first fully AAA JRPG competing in the current western environment with all the other western AAA's. The money they are putting into this is huge, so there's a much higher risk of failure, and if that happens, we can pretty much count out this type of scale of game from Japanese publishers ever again.

Fine by me i say, stick to smaller scale projects that are far more focused.

Even the FF7R project, which will probably rival or even exceed this game in production value, is being split over several titles in terms of content to spread out the cost, so its not being fully concentrated over one risky launch.

Squire

Banned
"FFXV isn't an RPG."

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother reading forums anymore. This shit is just tiring.

SE's strategy to make this game successful involves implying this is the case as strongly as they can without stating it explicitly.

Nope. FF15 still looks much better to me than every single game in the OP and I don't even own a PS4 or XB1 to play it on.

I don't even know how anyone can be excited for Ni no Kuni with how terrible the gameplay was in the first game. All style, zero substance.

I wish we could have a legit discussion instead of these drive bys. Persona can not probably will never be able to harm final fantasy.

Persona is one of those only popular on forums games. Persona 5 sales are gonna be laughably bad compared to a mainline FF.

Korigama

I'm honestly more curious about how it will be received and the impact it'll have on the franchise than I am about playing it at this point. If it releases and it's fantastic, then that's awesome. If it's bad, I truly believe critics will maul the game significantly and it's going to really impact sales and the franchise. If that happens i'm extremely curious to see what happens for XVI. Do they continue down this route or do they turn back the clock? Will mainstream consumers even care for XVI? This is the first year in my memory that people (not everyone) were actually frustrated and didn't want a main FF title to be on stage. That's not a good sign.
Given just how generous critics were even with the likes of FFXIII of all things, I have my doubts that this won't coast by on its name alone. That said, it could once again be another case of player consensus not aligning with them, leading to consumers souring further on the franchise.

Lynx_7

Also, anyone know what's the best-selling non-Nintendo, non-Dragon Quest, non-FF RPG? I feel like the number of those that have done a million is pretty small. Persona 5 doing three million would be unprecedented three times over.

Yokai Watch 2 has over 3 million shipped in Japan. I believe it might have hit 4 million? Not sure about that.
Ni No Kuni has sold over 1.7 million worldwide according to Namco Bandai. As for KH1, pretty sure that one had sold upwards of 5 million as of 2006. For something a bit more niche, Bravely Default sold a million copies as of 2014, so probably a bit over right now.

3 million is certainly unprecedented for Atlus' standards, but not really within the larger picture. Of course, that'd put Persona as one of the forefront JRPG franchises and I agree with you that it's very unlikely the game will ever hit those numbers. I think 2 million would be a terrific result for Atlus, but I'm realistically expecting around 1.5. I know P4G did really well on Vita but I also believe there's a ceiling in sales for the kind of jrpg the Persona series is.

Fire Emblem Awakening already did that awhile ago.

Well if we're including portable systems then P4G also did over 90. It actually did better than Witcher 3, UC4 and Blodborne which is kinda funny.

Top Bottom