• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Final Trailer Released

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Silly question but I guess I need to play the first one before this, right?

I'm not too interested on the game itself, but it would be cool to try it as a benchmark for my new GPU. Game looks pretty nice visually.

I would say yes, or watch a recap video. This is a direct story sequel.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
My guy working overtime today :messenger_tears_of_joy:

fKoCJ3W.png

i feel bad for you bill hader GIF by Team Coco

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
For those saying: iS tHErE gAmEPLaY

Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome.gif

TESTScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-2.gif

HBScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-3.gif

HB333-Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome-4.gif

Yes, fool, and the combat looks more intense, hard hitting, visceral and manly than whatever little hack and slash paperweight action game you praise for having good combat
mjlol.png

1 VS 1 combat is refreshing and each battle should feel more personal and fucking brutal. Better than a bunch of mindless things coming at you from every corner of the screen

Last edited:

foamdino

For those saying: iS tHErE gAmEPLaY

Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome.gif

TESTScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-2.gif

HBScreen-Recording-Google-Chrome-3.gif

HB333-Screen-Recording-Google-Chrome-4.gif

Yes, fool, and the combat looks more intense, hard hitting, visceral and manly than whatever little hack and slash paperweight action game you praise for having good combat
mjlol.png

1 VS 1 combat is refreshing and each battle should feel more personal and fucking brutal. Better than a bunch of mindless things coming at you from every corner of the screen
Edit: also thanks for posting some gifs of the combat.

Looks a little bit like Ryse, but hard to tell.

1 VS 1 can be interesting - I agree, that's a reasonable take for sure. Most games leave 1v1 to boss battles.

Last edited:

djjinx2

im really worried about this game, its not even in the top 10 in top sellers on steam
Don't be worried, or anyone else for that matter, be "concerned"

The game will not sell gangbusters, it's a niche game with little marketing that's not (yet) on the biggest console platform.

Perhaps the game will have legs with decent word of mouth

Ozriel

M$FT
Imagine actually being exited to '''''play''''' this lol

Could be worse. There’s people who get their excitement from shitposting in Hellblade threads.

im really worried about this game, its not even in the top 10 in top sellers on steam

I’m a consumer. I’m more interested in the game’s quality and how good it is to play.

Do you work for Ninja theory?

adamsapple

Edit: also thanks for posting some gifs of the combat.

Looks a little bit like Ryse, but hard to tell.

1 VS 1 can be interesting - I agree, that's a reasonable take for sure. Most games leave 1v1 to boss battles.

Have you had a chance to play the first one? It's kinda like Ryse when you have fights, you're not fighting 10 things like a DMC game, the fights are all much more intimate and in-your-face.

Why you always crying when you do the same shit?

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:

Fredrik

Reminds me of The Order. Looks amazing, but seems boring to play.
I liked The Order, the werewolves boss fights sucked but the rest was great, visually stunning and had some of the punchiest third person shooting around at the time. People were going on autopilot hating on it for no logic reason.

djjinx2

It'll be fun seeing the usual suspects who mock Playstation games as just a "movie" suddenly praise everything about this one cause it's on their preferred plastic box.
There can be too much of one thing as well though, depends on the rest of a consoles game catalogue. Too much of something can be bad you know. I love Uncharted, me and the missus completed every one. But Sony DO focus to much on TPS games, or at least they did when I had a PS4

ManaByte

Gold Member
It'll be fun seeing the usual suspects who mock Playstation games as just a "movie" suddenly praise everything about this one cause it's on their preferred plastic box.
Except there aren’t long unstoppable cutscenes in this. At least not in the original. Only time there was a cut scene in the original is when it focuses on Senua and it was always to disguise loading.

All I see is a bunch of running in an empty world and a 1 on 1 fighting, all that I have seen in the first game. That chromatic aberration better be able to be turned off. Im not saying graphics are not good but all the best shots are cinematic trailer shots. You won't see those crazy emotions and details in pure gameplay same as Uncharted 4 or TLOU 2 looked bonkers in trailers, yes all in the game engine BUT when you switch the camera to your character it has like 50% of the details the model does in a cutscene.

Anyway luckily we get this on GP but the fact theres almost zero marketing besides a few trailers and "gameplay", this isnt looking good for the overal score for the game. The first game was average at best in every aspect and I dont really see anything new here. The whispering in the headphones works great only the first time.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
You do realize MS just shut down a few studios for the exact concern i put out there, right?

I’m sure Microsoft doesn’t expect mega sales from this title. Especially given its relatively modest budget.

If poor sales was the only justification for closing down studios, they’d have closed down Turn 10 after Forza Motorsport mega bombed.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The visuals in that trailer are absolutely stunning… but man I don’t think I’ve ever seen a trailer that made me less interested in playing the game. You couldn’t pay me to play this (or listen to that damn song).

Was the first game actually fun to play? Or is at as dull as this trailer looked?

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I’m replaying the game to get familiar before tomorrow. Combat has been way better than I remember, and the audio is still amazing and incredibly creepy.

The visuals in that trailer are absolutely stunning… but man I don’t think I’ve ever seen a trailer that made me less interested in playing the game. You couldn’t pay me to play this (or listen to that damn song).

Was the first game actually fun to play? Or is at as dull as this trailer looked?
It's been on sale for $5 multiple times if you ever want to try it. I enjoyed it. Mostly just a character study on Senua. Story wasn't amazing, but by the end I actually did think Senua was an interesting character and she does have a minor character arc.

People claiming this has zero gameplay are just straight up lying. It's light puzzles and light combat pretty much the whole game, with multiple boss fights. Combat feels snappy and fun. Puzzles are mixed bag with some cool ones and some that are a bit too obscure at first. Game doesn't overstay its welcome either which is a big bonus in my book. Ended right around the time I was ready to move on.

It's an experimental art game, with some areas using live action film clips mixed in and some creative visual effects for the mental states. I'm sure it's not for everyone. If you think the trailer is already dull you should probably just skip the game.

Liked the premise of the first one, but the puzzle elements and combat weren't good at all. A short game that somehow felt repetitive quick, would improve the game a lot if Ninja Theory fixed those issues. Hope they game is good, but I won't be playing any time soon.

Dazraell

So is there any gameplay in this "game"? I mean lot's of games have been roasted for being walking simulators, but so far the trailers aren't really selling much 'agency' are they.
I haven't seen any detailed overviews showcasing new features of this sequel so I might be wrong, but for me this always looked very similar to the first game, so I assume we can expect something similar to it. It's been a few years since I played it, but it was kinda like recent God of War reboot, but much shorter and with combat that was focused on 1 vs 1 fights. But general over-the-shoulder camera view, Norse mythology references and even some narrative beats felt similar to GoW 2018, which was ironic as Hellblade was released about a year earlier

adamsapple

ultrawide and hdr support on pc?

UW, yes, can't say i'm 100% sure about HDR on PC.

The game already renders in an UW ratio and on PC if you have a UW monitor, it will scale accordingly and no more black bars..

Last edited:
It's been on sale for $5 multiple times if you ever want to try it. I enjoyed it. Mostly just a character study on Senua. Story wasn't amazing, but by the end I actually did think Senua was an interesting character and she does have a minor character arc.

People claiming this has zero gameplay are just straight up lying. It's light puzzles and light combat pretty much the whole game, with multiple boss fights. Combat feels snappy and fun. Puzzles are mixed bag with some cool ones and some that are a bit too obscure at first. Game doesn't overstay its welcome either which is a big bonus in my book. Ended right around the time I was ready to move on.

It's an experimental art game, with some areas using live action film clips mixed in and some creative visual effects for the mental states. I'm sure it's not for everyone. If you think the trailer is already dull you should probably just skip the game.
Finally, a level-headed, well-reasoned opinion regarding Hellblade.

People saying there's no gameplay are completely exaggerating. It's a light action game. It's not trying to be Dark Souls or DMC, but it has it's own style. I remember each hit feeling weighty and satisfying and always finding the boss fights at least moderately interesting from a gameplay perspective and always very intriguing from a visual/spectacle perspective.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
Finally, a level-headed, well-reasoned opinion regarding Hellblade.

People saying there's no gameplay are completely exaggerating. It's a light action game. It's not trying to be Dark Souls or DMC, but it has it's own style. I remember each hit feeling weighty and satisfying and always finding the boss fights at least moderately interesting from a gameplay perspective and always very intriguing from a visual/spectacle perspective.

There was more combat gameplay in the 6-7 hours it took me to finish Hellblade than the 20~ hours of Death Stranding before I uninstalled that game.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
predicting 8’s to 10’s all around.

But skipping all reviews so I won’t know til I’m done

Top Bottom