• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Final Trailer Released

Buggy Loop

The visuals in that trailer are absolutely stunningā€¦ but man I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a trailer that made me less interested in playing the game. You couldnā€™t pay me to play this (or listen to that damn song).

Was the first game actually fun to play? Or is at as dull as this trailer looked?

Gameplay was ok. It's a slow burner. Which is fine sometimes. I'm getting tired of peoples stumping on this game for warring reasons when they are gargling for the next generic white/yellow painted ledge of safe open world hand holding and shit story. Hellblade is very unique in this industry and FFS, a welcomed addition to the dredge of shit copycats.

I'm all for Hellblade 2. The first game I was not sure for like a good portion of the game but it kept getting more and more interesting, with the finale in Helheim being very memorable

Last edited:

Oppoi

All kidding aside what an enormeous achievement for Phil and the team! What a purchase!
dwayne-johnson-the-rock.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don't know. Looks pretty great visual wise. It's a nice success story for a somewhat indie studio, and I know it resonates with certain people. But I gotta say, not even for the memes, trailer was like one of those youtube videos simulating the visual experience of taking like forty xanax and going outside. Very blurry (not fidelity, but atmosphere) lots of non-affected dialogue dubbed over footage of various people walking through pretty ass fields and valleys and such.

But launch trailers are typically like the fatality move for studios. They pull out all the stops, usually license a famous song or famous artist, or alternatively get some cow eyed doped up flower child chick to make a low fi cover of a famous song. They put lots of cliffhanger dialogue and hints for the story. Lots of cool ass syncopated gameplay, a short little summary of the main story beats so normies who have never heard of the title can get the cliffnotes about the settings and characters. Hell, Square Enix basically does an AMV for everything up to the final boss and call it a launch trailer. I've PLAYED some launch trailers.

This seems like with a little tweaking it could be an Evanescence music video. Tells you nothing about the story or characters. Doesn't clue you in or even entice you to figure out why this bitch was dressed like Kratos and practicing her Black Metal version of The Scat Man. Disjointed and meandering and if I hadn't seen outside media regarding the first title, I'd still have no idea what the game was about, beyond a traumatized woman.

Edit: Not to comment on the quality of the title. Obviously haven't played it and I don't have an Xbox of any sort. But analyzing as an enthusiast, I'm compelled to point out what seems to me like a marketing misstep.

Further edit:
Scat Man GIF

Last edited:
The game looks amazing! Can't wait to play it.

That being said, the song chosen for this trailer was super lame. Who the heck decided that was a good final trailer?

lucious lyon wtf GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh wow wow wow don't give your prettly little self a heart attack trying to explain it all...

It's in writing so you don't forget about games you've actually never played before commenting on them. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Oppoi

It's in writing so you don't forget about games you've actually never played before commenting on them. :messenger_ok:
Gosh I played about 40 minutes of that crap Hellblade game I told you this again and again! May every fizzy drink you ever taste be flat you dinghole!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks beautiful. Can wait to try it out.

Just shy of 7 and a half hours from now.

If they weren't doing a simultaneous global launch, we'd already be playing it with the NewZealand region change lol.

Oppoi

It does look amazing. I'm hopeless I know but it really does look like something special.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I don't know how to make the fancy gifs and graphics that a lot of other folks do so much better
You don't even need to do all that, really, there's no strict rules or anything you need to follow.
It all comes down to free time to do this, maybe some research to see if people here are even interested in a game and if you're interested in a game as well. There's also plenty of threads without fancy gifs and graphics, so don't think about it too much:messenger_relieved:

Oh, I definitely will be playing the game on hard.

Not sure how many people actually remember this, but the first game had a mechanic where if you died too much, Senua could die as well cuz of the stuff that kept growing and spreading on her skin and... well, it was a game over, erased saves and all that.

NikuNashi

It looks like a CG cinematic movie / interactive movie. Have they shown any gameplay? Do they have any gameplay? Guess everyone should hold off buying until they 1 hour before release reviews.

Matsuchezz

The game looks amazing! Can't wait to play it.

That being said, the song chosen for this trailer was super lame. Who the heck decided that was a good final trailer?

lucious lyon wtf GIF
Phil Spencer greenlit that song.
Phil Spencer likes to do a Kojima every so often. He produces, directs, plans, do story boards, and brain storm every game under Xbox game studios with his fuck buddy Aaron Greenberg. They are like the Wachowski Brothers, unstoppable duo.

IDappa

First game was a Gem of a game, made my wife interested in gaming and she is stoked for the sequel. Anybody who says this game looks boring has too have the attention span of a toddler, surely havenā€™t played the first. Genuinely creepy/unique vibes.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

First game was a Gem of a game, made my wife interested in gaming and she is stoked for the sequel. Anybody who says this game looks boring has too have the attention span of a toddler, surely havenā€™t played the first. Genuinely creepy/unique vibes.
The game was boring, the fighting specially was boring as hell, the enemies were plain, and i do not recall any memorable fighting sequence. The cool thing about the game was the binaural audio, and the voices in Senuas head, and there were some good levels with great atmosphere. And that is it. Previous NT games were more fun to play.

IDappa

The game was boring, the fighting specially was boring as hell, the enemies were plain, and i do not recall any memorable fighting sequence. The cool thing about the game was the binaural audio, and the voices in Senuas head, and there were some good levels with great atmosphere. And that is it. Previous NT games were more fun to play.
Keeping in mind the games was an indie game which comes with its own caveats I would honestly say the combat was serviceable, not every game needs to have the same combat. From the brief combat clips of the new one they are doubling down on intimate/visceral fighting and Iā€™m all for it.

It was obvious the draw of the game was its story and atmosphere which was very unique and compelling. Itā€™s been years since I have played it but the end sequence with hela was memorable, Fenrir was also creepy. It was clear they didnā€™t have a massive budget for enemy variety but I could look past the minor flaws..

Just find it funny when these guys werenā€™t owned by Microsoft the game was a gem, now the sequel is ā€œboringā€. Letā€™s just see what the sequel is like. If itā€™s shit Iā€™ll be honest..

CGNoire

I don't know. Looks pretty great visual wise. It's a nice success story for a somewhat indie studio, and I know it resonates with certain people. But I gotta say, not even for the memes, trailer was like one of those youtube videos simulating the visual experience of taking like forty xanax and going outside. Very blurry (not fidelity, but atmosphere) lots of non-affected dialogue dubbed over footage of various people walking through pretty ass fields and valleys and such.

But launch trailers are typically like the fatality move for studios. They pull out all the stops, usually license a famous song or famous artist, or alternatively get some cow eyed doped up flower child chick to make a low fi cover of a famous song. They put lots of cliffhanger dialogue and hints for the story. Lots of cool ass syncopated gameplay, a short little summary of the main story beats so normies who have never heard of the title can get the cliffnotes about the settings and characters. Hell, Square Enix basically does an AMV for everything up to the final boss and call it a launch trailer. I've PLAYED some launch trailers.

This seems like with a little tweaking it could be an Evanescence music video. Tells you nothing about the story or characters. Doesn't clue you in or even entice you to figure out why this bitch was dressed like Kratos and practicing her Black Metal version of The Scat Man. Disjointed and meandering and if I hadn't seen outside media regarding the first title, I'd still have no idea what the game was about, beyond a traumatized woman.

Edit: Not to comment on the quality of the title. Obviously haven't played it and I don't have an Xbox of any sort. But analyzing as an enthusiast, I'm compelled to point out what seems to me like a marketing misstep.

Further edit:
Scat Man GIF
Skibby dobba dab dat dat dab ..dat

anthony2690

Gold Member
Looks visually incredible.
I just hope it's an enjoyable game.
Couldn't get into the first one but looking forward to giving this one a try in the future.
I'm still working my way through sandland ATM though :)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Death Stranding 2 at least can intrigue me with all that craziness. But every trailer I saw of Hellblade is the same boring stuff: the main caracter walking, the same boring combat of the first one, etc. Maybe is just bad marketing, but I dont feel that the game have improve in any aspect besides graphics.
Damn even just seeing both, DS always looked boring to me, contrary to Hellblade 1 which always looked interesting. Thing is I enjoyed HB and dropped DS. I literally can't see how DS can look more interesting to anyone, at least more than HB.

Top Bottom