• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

PrinceKee

I want Nintendo to win. I grew up on Nintendo and Sega. But, some of the issues with the switch are just baffling. No digital manuals like the Wii U and 3DS. The Wii U version of BOTW has a digital manual by all accounts, but they couldn't have used it on the switch? The OS is just so bare with no achievements, no chat, no internet browser. Like 90% of the time in ads the switch is undocked so they promote portability and yet it doesn't have any apps that would make people want to take it on thr go. Being able to listen to my music or Spotify while out and about would have been great. I get it they want games functionality first, but when there doesn't look to be many games on the horizon it sucks. I still haven't opened my switch yet and am leaning towards returning it. I'm just a little disappointed in the immediate and long term future of Nintendo...

groansey

I don't think that is the case. It's more likely we'll see an iterative upgrade of the Switch in a couple of years rather than Nintendo separate their console and handheld platforms again. They really need all their game development efforts focused on one platform to help avoid software droughts.

But have Nintendo accepted this, really?

If we get new hardware it would make just as much sense for it to be a new home console than a new handheld. Let the Switch be the handheld. But Nintendo are talking the Switch up as if it's a home console and the games back that up. The Big N won't commit to changing it's old practices.

I don't think that is the case. It's more likely we'll see an iterative upgrade of the Switch in a couple of years rather than Nintendo separate their console and handheld platforms again. They really need all their game development efforts focused on one platform to help avoid software droughts.

Why haven't they come out and said as much then? They are positioning this as a console you can take with you and not as a handheld. They also aren't positioning this as a replacement for 3ds.

TheMink

Me five!

I'm quite thrilled with it. I'm aware of the issues, but I can't help but think any of these "missing" features would go completely unused by me. perhaps they are more obvious omissions if someone uses a Switch as their only device but that isn't me.

tmarg

Why haven't they come out and said as much then? They are positioning this as a console you can take with you and not as a handheld. They also aren't positioning this as a replacement for 3ds.

The New 3DS only came out a bit over two years ago. It's too early for them to be talking about its end of life without alienating a significant number of people, especially since the system has gotten so few exclusives. This time next year they might start hinting at it.

asagami_

Banned
But have Nintendo accepted this, really?

If we get new hardware it would make just as much sense for it to be a new home console than a new handheld. Let the Switch be the handheld. But Nintendo are talking the Switch up as if it's a home console and the games back that up. The Big N won't commit to changing it's old practices.

Actually, yes: http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-can-imagine-nintendo-making-hybrid-console-han-1594989023

And there are some interesting ideas from Iwata (RIP), but I need read better first: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/index.html

The New 3DS only came out a bit over two years ago. It's too early for them to be talking about its end of life without alienating a significant number of people, especially since the system has gotten so few exclusives. This time next year they might start hinting at it.

To be fair we are already alienated haha. Thank god Yoshi is 60 fps in New 3DS and the Fire Emblem Warriors is exclusive. But I expect the Switch port be 60 fps, so it will have more value.

elmalloc

I am liking so much. Some problems, but none of them are show-stoppers

I've got a left side of the screen flickering issue that was definitely a show stopper. It fixed itself magically, but seemed to have nothing to do with battery life, if it was plugged in, reset, hard reset, joycons attached or not.

I hope Nintendo patches it, as I don't think I'm alone when googling for it. Affects the left side of the screen. Seemed like it may have some auto brightness functionality and it was struggling to constantly adjust (?). Overall I'd say I'm enjoying my switch if this is an anomaly.

tmarg

To be fair we are already alienated haha. Thank god Yoshi is 60 fps in New 3DS and the Fire Emblem Warriors is exclusive. But I expect the Switch port be 60 fps, so it will have more value.

I personally don't have a huge problem with the new 3DS, there is a fantastic library of DS and 3DS games, and the new version will always be the best way to play them. Plus, with all the compromises made on the switch, it will continue to be the best mobile VC platform for the foreseeable future.

But if you consider that a parent who bought their child a new 3DS XL the first Holiday season it was available will currently have gotten a whopping one year and two months out of their $200 investment, talking about killing it now would be crazy. Those people would not be buying a switch.

noshten

Expecting Nintendo to somehow have a flawless launch when you have things like the 3DS and Wii U launches is unrealistic. To me the issues people focus on right now on GAF in the end probably won't hamper the Switch as far as the launch is concerned. We are probably far more aware and really magnify faults with the launch tech but that's something that has happened with pretty much every console or handheld that's launched. This is perfectly normal for a dedicated forum but outside of that there is a large amount of people who don't follow every negative and are impressed by the device. Despite the flaws a lot of reviews pointed out - I don't really see the negative outside of gaming forums.
As a device you cannot honestly tell me you prefer the 3DS or Wii U at launch - Switch trumps both Wii U and 3DS at launch by a considerable margin while potentially combining their libraries. The Hybrid and how switching between game modes and switching between how you utilize the Joycons are light years ahead of both 3D or Tablet that you need to have no more than 5 meters/1 wall from the console.

Regarding the launch lineup also would say that neither Wii U or 3DS had games like Zelda, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey in their launch year if they did they might have done better. As far as a launch year lineup is concerned Switch is considerably better than both prior devices, I'd say to someone who hasn't owned a Wii U it's actually a stronger launch year than both Wii U and 3DS combined. There is games that will make their way to a Nintendo handheld for the first time and those games are huge upgrade compared to their predecessors(MK7 -> MK8D, ALBW - > Botw, SM3DL - SMO) and completely new franchises to a Nintendo handheld device(Splatoon 2, Minecraft, Arms, Skyrim). The incentive for 3DS owners to upgrade is far greater than those who owned a Wii U - which is probably the most dedicated Nintendo fans.

To me the main unknown is what people who have never owned a Nintendo console(outside of possibly Wii) think of the device. Is things like BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, SMO etc. That's really the unknown to me, but these faults with the system might not be quiet as insurmountable as long as Nintendo is able to provide the needed software. It all rests on the launch year lineup and I personally think it's extremely underrated for some reason, as if a large amount of people were even aware of the Wii U's existence.

I can't comment on all the faults you've outlined OP but really for the narrative of this being a soft launch, beta, early access console - I'm actually far more excited about the Switch than either the 3DS or Wii U at launch. I honestly never thought I'd buy a Nintendo handheld for myself but a Hybrid is another matter, especially one that has many other positive aspects.

Big-E

My biggest disappointment with this is the fact that it being a console first was a lie. The fact the dock has nothing in it will mean that there is going to be reduced performance while docked through the entirety of its life. Price kept me away at launch, the dock might keep me away forever.

pixelation

But I do feel like Nintendo is a company run by stubborn old men who are out of touch with reality that take advantage of their loyal fan base.

Penny pinching ones at that, and oh boy do i really dislike that Myamoto quote... dumb as fuck and explains A LOT.

Tainted

I'm not sure why there is so much hostility towards the OP, he/she raises valid concerns. As an outsider looking in, I have seen threads here and elsewhere mirroring these same sentiments.

For someone who is thinking of buying a switch in the near future, its important they are aware of the current issues. Having all the information gathered into one thread is a great idea imo

anothertech

My biggest issues so far are the lack of apps. It's a tablet with no Netflix, Hulu, or even an internet browser. I know that's likely remedied in the future, it's just so blatantly missing right now.

Meh. I'm loving it, and the general public doesn't care enough about your issues fit it to be a problem.

Yesterday I had to take my car in for an oil change. My mechanic was extremely busy, so I had to wait a while in the office. Pulled out my Switch and had a steady stream of people asking me about it. All of them had heard of the system and many mentioned wanting one, several people had actively called stores to try to get one.

Then it happened. "Sharing the joy" worked. I put the tablet on a table and invited one of the guys (a big guy in his 50s) who had been asking about it to some Snipperclips. We got a few people involved, all of us having a good time. We got in a round of Quick Draw on 1-2 Switch before my car was finished.

I know that this is just one experience, but I didn't expect it to go over like that. Nintendo has hit on something here, something I think most of us still don't quite understand. We can, and should, nitpick, but don't toss away all of the good with a few minor complaints likely to be addressed in future updates.

Coda

My biggest disappointment with this is the fact that it being a console first was a lie. The fact the dock has nothing in it will mean that there is going to be reduced performance while docked through the entirety of its life. Price kept me away at launch, the dock might keep me away forever.

The only game experiencing problems docked is Zelda. There is a chip inside the dock and playing Fast RMX in 1080p in 60fps on my TV it looks great!

Meh. I'm loving it, and the general public doesn't care enough about your issues fit it to be a problem.

Yesterday I had to take my car in for an oil change. My mechanic was extremely busy, so I had to wait a while in the office. Pulled out my Switch and had a steady stream of people asking me about it. All of them had heard of the system and many mentioned wanting one, several people had actively called stores to try to get one.

Then it happened. "Sharing the joy" worked. I put the tablet on a table and invited one of the guys (a big guy in his 50s) who had been asking about it to some Snipperclips. We got a few people involved, all of us having a good time. We got in a round of Quick Draw on 1-2 Switch before my car was finished.

I know that this is just one experience, but I didn't expect it to go over like that. Nintendo has hit on something here, something I think most of us still don't quite understand. We can, and should, nitpick, but don't toss away all of the good with a few minor complaints likely to be addressed in future updates.

These good experiences don't discount the issues that the OP and others have brought up.

The only game experiencing problems docked is Zelda. There is a chip inside the dock and playing Fast RMX in 1080p in 60fps on my TV it looks great!

Dude this is flat out wrong. There's only a security chip. The dock is a pass through device. Nothing more.

Big0Bear

I was annoyed that Nintendo pulled the same thing they always do with not making enough units. And the gold break down for games is kinda messed up. They offer so many gold coins for digital when the systems hd is tiny

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
It is a handheld gaming device that has a game that I really wanted to play.

I am 100% satisfied thus far.

I don't understand why certain people seem hell bent on painting the Switch as a failure.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just flew to Vegas with it. Zelda is peerless but here's a weird issue on.mine

Headphones are too quiet to hear dialog. There's no way you could watch a movie at that volume. Obviously only an issue when you're in the air but I tested my phone and iPad - it's the switch.

Could it be limited for safety? They have to fix if so.

I don't understand why certain people seem hell bent on painting the Switch as a failure.

It's a new system. People are just discussing the numerous and real issues it currently has
And most of them bought it. They're not console warriors.

If you think people criticising the switch on legitimate issues is people wanting to paint it as a failure, you're too invested.

VanWinkle

Great OP. I completely agree. There are a ton of issues with this system that I hope get rectified soon. Bigggest for me is the beyond-barebones OS (which I'll bundle in there with lack of Netflix, Hulu, etc.). It's just kind of sad that there's nothing to do on the system when I'm not wanting to play a game.

I'm literally only turning on the Switch to play Zelda. That's it. When I'm done, I turn it off. That's not a good modern console. Right now, I have to switch inputs on my TV and turn on my Xbox One so I can do the more ancillary things like Netflix, streams, Youtube, etc. (and I do the same stuff on my PS4 but that's out in the living room). There's nothing on the system. People bring up the OS speed. Yeah, it is fast, but that's because there's nothing on it! And heck, even then, PS4 OS is almost as quick and it's loaded with functionality.

It's also a shame, I think, that there's no great controller out of the box, since it IS the replacement to the Wii U. The closest thing to feeling good is two disconnected separated Joy-Cons, but even then the analog sticks and buttons are tiny and the positioning of them is not great.

_woLf

I am getting VERY bad joycon desyncing today. I'm less than 4 ft away from the console and nothing is blocking the path to the switch. Left and right joycons.

This is BAD.

tassletine

I'm of the opinion that the screen scratching is manufactured because the picture shows a screen in which the reflection on the screen is dimpled -- which is what a screen protector looks like when it's photographed.

I have a problem with the joycon grips as one of mine is extremely difficult to remove. I literally can't use it. I have no problem with the joycons slotting into the machine though.

Personally though I think Nintendo get a hard deal, in the same way that Apple get praise.

Every bit of technology I've bought in the last five years has defects. My PS4 controllers desych occasionally (to say nothing of the shitty battery life) and the console randomly loses connection with the TV. There is drift on the PSR and it makes the majority of it's users physically ill. The ipad pro has terrible battery life (it drops drastically after a month or so). I've had to replace the pencil once and it desynchs regularly and that sometimes takes a hard reset to fix blah blah blah

All of these problems are either in line or far worse than the problems I've had with the Switch which are basically nil at this point (apart from the joycon docks).

None of this bothers me much as I know these machines are difficult to make and the ultimate test of something is ultimately how well it does it's job.

You can center in on the negative aspects of anything and use the internet to amass a collecting of individual cases that (together) sound like the machine has massive problems, when in fact they fall in line with probability.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play Zelda but from what I've seen the Switch just isn't what it should be, it seems like a budget, bare-bones console being sold at a premium price (which is the main reason I didn't get one). I definitely think being broke saved me on this one, as I feel a revision 2.0 will definitely be on the cards at some point.

Branduil

I don't get why the joycon straps are designed to slot on the opposite of everything else. They're substantially more difficult to remove than the console and grip.

Thanks... Pretty disappointing that I will have to spend money on an elite controller to play it comfortably. If I can't enjoy playing in portable mode, then I'll just dock it. But if it's just docked, it'll feel like a compromised console.

Such a weird device...

My hands aren't huge, but I'm 6'5'' and it seems to work out alright in my case. Of course, ymmv

I'm of the opinion that the screen scratching is manufactured because the picture shows a screen in which the reflection on the screen is dimpled -- which is what a screen protector looks like when it's photographed.

I have a problem with the joycon grips as one of mine is extremely difficult to remove. I literally can't use it. I have no problem with the joycons slotting into the machine though.

Personally though I think Nintendo get a hard deal, in the same way that Apple get praise.

Every bit of technology I've bought in the last five years has defects. My PS4 controllers desych occasionally (to say nothing of the shitty battery life) and the console randomly loses connection with the TV. There is drift on the PSR and it makes the majority of it's users physically ill. The ipad pro has terrible battery life (it drops drastically after a month or so). I've had to replace the pencil once and it desynchs regularly and that sometimes takes a hard reset to fix blah blah blah

All of these problems are either in line or far worse than the problems I've had with the Switch which are basically nil at this point (apart from the joycon docks).

None of this bothers me much as I know these machines are difficult to make and the ultimate test of something is ultimately how well it does it's job.

You can center in on the negative aspects of anything and use the internet to amass a collecting of individual cases that (together) sound like the machine has massive problems, when in fact they fall in line with probability.
So everyone's lying. Neat.

XAL

Yeah I don't think the scratching issue is manufactured.

Also appears to be the least of problems with people's units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS18UFiTrAo

Crazyorloco

Much much much better thread title. Spy learn from this. Lol
Good title change. While it doesn't excuse al the ad hominem shit that has been flung at OP, the tile was, well, provoking. This is much better and will hopefully keep the embarrassing shitshow that was the first few pages (particularly the first one, holy heck) from happening again.

Yeah now it isn't as click bait inducing. The Switch has legitimate issues, and having a thread title "Now can I talk about the issues" sounds childish and doesn't warrant mature discussion. Especially when everyone knows the person was waiting months to post a repeat thread.

On topic, my main issue is not enough games on launch. What happened to world of goo? There were so many great indie games shown, but there's not much in the eshop. I feel like maybe Nintendo wants to force us to look at whatever is there.

1, 2 switch isn't a game that provides substance as much as other games. I did have a wonderful time with it today, but I can't see myself playing it with the same people over and over. Hopefully they add more content.

Steejee

I have fairly large/spindly hands, and the individual joy-cons were fine when I was playing Snipperclips. A *little* strange feeling at first, but easily adapted to.

As for the system itself - I'm super happy with it. Rather than tossing in everything and the kitchen sink, but with issues galore, they seem to have gone the path of 'Build a rock hard base, and iterate features back on top of it'. Fast, clean, intuitive, not overcooked. I'd like a browser and video apps, but for the time being the lack thereof is not a problem. I have no lack of video app tools/browsers as is, so a delay getting those to the Switch is not the end of the world.

I'm still perplexed by their decision to use friend codes. At least there seems to be other ways to add friends in with less trouble.

Launch lineup is light, but it has BotW, so I'll take that over a slew of mediocre titles like most launches.

DVCY201

It's not showing bias if you want to discuss nagative aspects of a device you just paid 300 bucks for. If you don't think they should be criticized for some of the obvious oversights then you are most likely the one who is biased. The switch launch feels like a soft launch rather than one where Nintendo had all its ducks in a row.

I keep forgetting how much of a sacred cow Nintendo is here on gaf. This thread is a great reminder that some of you would let Nintendo executives shit in your mouths if you got a new system out of it

I said bias, primarily because some of these points about the controllers and the online are highly debateable because it (was) only a day since it released. For one, the value proposition of online is unknown at the moment because they haven't disclosed any details. As for the controllers, there was discussion about how some games are 'gimped' because of the Joy Cons when that isn't necessarily true. So yes, a few points were biased and a bit quick to jump the gun in my opinion.

But I like how you did accuse me of not criticizing them, when I've been vocal about the stupidity of the dock and it scratching the console, and Joy Con sync issues. Nintendo is far from perfect, in fact they are downright awful sometimes, but I try to at least see how some of these issues will play out before jumping down their throat.

As for the 'shit' remark, well, I think that speaks for itself and your argument as a whole.

EDIT: Oh, you're banned. Didn't see that.

I'm still not convinced this will actually have united development from both console and handheld teams. Nintendo won't admit to it, and they are calling it a console, so they can release a handheld if it fails. They are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Either way they are already splitting up development by making mobile games.

Nintendo neutral person here; I don't know that much about the Switch other than that Zelda looks amazing.

Until I read this thread, I had no idea this was predominantly a mobile device. learning that, my interest decreased a lot... especially reading about the bad performance when docked. I thought this was a legitimate new console, not a glorified mobile device (including what sounds like extremely feature-limited OS and networking) with the equivalent of HDMI out. kind of a weird strategy they've got going here.

TheFawz

Most console users are connected via wifi. The lack of Ethernet is aggravating, but won't make a lick of difference to devs in terms of features, just end point performance for users.

The base kit of a console directly affects what 1st party sets as their Certification requirements, which in turn directly affects developer focus.

It's the same as a console that doesn't come with headsets or built in headset jacks, you just won't see the same level of support for something like voice chat compared to a console that does have those build in since it's not a base set feature available to all users of the hardware.

As for the system itself - I'm super happy with it. Rather than tossing in everything and the kitchen sink, but with issues galore, they seem to have gone the path of 'Build a rock hard base, and iterate features back on top of it'. Fast, clean, intuitive, not overcooked. I'd like a browser and video apps, but for the time being the lack thereof is not a problem. I have no lack of video app tools/browsers as is, so a delay getting those to the Switch is not the end of the world.
This.

Launch lineup is light, but it has BotW, so I'll take that over a slew of mediocre titles like most launches.

And this. It's better to have a GOAT game at a launch that you can play for a hundred hours, and some smaller titles to play with you friends, than a lot of mediocre games like the Wii U had.

For some reason the switch on the stand feels wobbly, as if it dosn't attach properly, so I have to hold the portable if I want the controllers out.

Not sure if is working as intended, but even so, it feels wrong. Shouldn' be that way.

There's also the problem.of the front piece being slightly bended, so I have to buy a screen protector and hopefully won't melt like the ones from Hori.

Mess.

I really like the design and the general hardware, but things like that brings down the overall pacakge.

3DS also had stupid mistakes like this. Nintendo should improve in this regard, not going backwards.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The base kit of a console directly affects what 1st party sets as their Certification requirements, which in turn directly affects developer focus.

It's the same as a console that doesn't come with headsets or built in headset jacks, you just won't see the same level of support for something like voice chat compared to a console that does have those build in since it's not a base set feature available to all users of the hardware.

You're wrong about this feature. When we build online features, we assume about 90% of people are going to use them and about 90% of those people are connected via wireless. So in fact much of our work on latency and so on is built with the assumption that the console is in a noisy wireless environment.

Don't get me wrong - I think the lack of a 25 cent port is staggering given that the dock creates almost as many problems as it solves, and I think the Wifi radio that does come with the system is laughably weak, but Ethernet is simply not important to whether or not devs support online features. I mean, look at tablets and phones.

The primary way we'd think about ethernet is a) How fast they can download big packages and b) LAN functionality. But we'd want wifi solutions for those first and foremost since that would be the majority of use cases and ethernet "support" adds no significant workload to most issues and applications.

ramparter

Banned
Just wait unti the Ditects start rolling, every month will be like Christmas and every Direct like E3. Each month a aurprise game will be released and features will be added.
Gamecube virtual console, video recording, netflix, browser and other apps, Mario Sunshine HD, FZero Online, Metroid, Online Virtual console, Mother 3, Four Swords, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Platinum 202 & Bayo 3, Xeno 2, Pokemon, Wave Race, Nintendo Sports Club, Nintendo Fit, Arms, MK8, Spla2, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey. This will be the best year a console ever had.

Sorry for bump but only now I noticed I was given a tag, and for that post of all things, lol. Guess I shouldnt complain I've seen worse!

Chitown B

You're wrong about this feature. When we build online features, we assume about 90% of people are going to use them and about 90% of those people are connected via wireless. So in fact much of our work on latency and so on is built with the assumption that the console is in a noisy wireless environment.

Don't get me wrong - I think the lack of a 25 cent port is staggering given that the dock creates almost as many problems as it solves, and I think the Wifi radio that does come with the system is laughably weak, but Ethernet is simply not important to whether or not devs support online features. I mean, look at tablets and phones.

The primary way we'd think about ethernet is a) How fast they can download big packages and b) LAN functionality. But we'd want wifi solutions for those first and foremost since that would be the majority of use cases and ethernet "support" adds no significant workload to most issues and applications.

Thanks Frankie!

Top Bottom