• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mine arrived about half an hour ago.

Zelda and the screen are gorgeous.

However so far I have encountered:

1. Weak/No wifi issue.
2. Left controller drop
3. Scratching
4. It's quite hot.
5. One dead or stuck pixel, bottom left.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the speakers are somewhat quiet and reedy except at Max, where there seems to be an exponential rather than incremental volume boost. Still reedy, but loud enough.

Overall I am happy but mildly irritated. If this is as "bad" as it gets, then I will survive. Still latent anger at Amazon for messing with my launch date.

You made this thread about 2 months too early.

Everyone is still in the honeymoon phase.

And by all accounts, Zelda is amazing.

Come back in May when the early-adopter high has worn off and most people have finished Zelda only to realize there isn't another noteworthy release for 6 months.

Bishop89

....you guys realize the reason OP remade this thread is because mods thought this topic was pre-mature when the Switch was not even out yet? Now that it's out OP is just remaking the thread. Seriously there's a lot of people here getting very defensive over a piece of electronic...
Yeh a lot of the responses in here are very immature, especially when the OP has valid points, agenda or not.

Undercooked launch by Nintendo. But I've been disappointed by them for over a decade now

Bluetooth audio is a lag issue apparently - due to bluetooth bandwidth. PS4 and my bravia does not have it either and my mbp is iffy when I switch the fastshare thing on and use bt headphones.

The Bluetooth thing is forgivable only because as you said other systems don't have it as well, however those systems have controllers with 3.5 jacks to get around it with other headsets. The Switch doesn't.

Squarehard

I think it's important to note that the OP isn't necessarily saying the Switch is the failure, but Nintendo's approach that is the failing.

Carlius

Banned
why is it fun to see ninty fail? i really dont get the hate nintendo gets sometimes. its a new system, give it a few months to iron out its issues.

I feel the same. I'm thinking beyond Zelda with what I posted and for me, it's a failure. I can't just ignore all of these shortcomings because I like a few games.
It's been out like... 24 hours. If you don't like it you should probably sell it on.

I think when it comes down to it, Nintendo's usual audience are people that are satisfied just purchasing a system that plays Nintendo games. As long as those fans get that, they are satisfied.

On the other side of the table, the people who aren't satisfied with just that, get disappointed due subpar implementations or lack of industry standards/features and when you think of it this way it's very easy to see why a large demographic of people/potential customers are dissatisfied with this system.

Nintendo already has their fans 'won' per se as you can see by a lot of impressions across this site with people who literally just don't care about a lot of these things. For this other audience that is untapped, it will remain a very flawed and dated system in ways.

Nintendo's usual audience isn't enough to sustain a home console these days. And will the usual handheld audience be lining up for a $300 handheld? They didn't want the 3DS at 250.

LordRaptor

I'm surprised so many people are saying "Yup, agree with everything in OP".

Because literally until this topic I didn't believe anyone had any intention or desire of playing through Zelda using only a single joycon, or how bad a fuck up that not being comfortably possible is.

neoglow

Banned
I love the internet and fanboyism...

One persons opinion: "Theres an issue"
Internet response: "No there's not"

One persons opinion: "There isn't an issue"
Internet response: "Yes there is"

You'll never win OP, opinions and forums never work.

If I was you, I'd sell your Switch and buy the inevitable revised version in xxx weeks/months.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a soft launch and I 100% believe that. Now's the time to work out the kinks. Early adopters are beta testing it for the real launch soon. I'm an early adopter and I'm OK with that. If you aren't happy with it, wait. If you are trying to just troll it, screw off.

moai

But i thought there already was a thread where people discussed switch shortcomings. It was called the no switch club or something.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't remember buying a system with an hardware being such a joy to interact with, or with a game as good as Zelda (just discovered my first village, I'm in love).

Spy said:
Games
Everything seems to be either overpriced, compromised in the form of graphical fidelity and performance in comparison to competitors, or just simply being a port of an indie game. The few titles that don't fall into this group such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are typically handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad. Triple A third-party support is nowhere to be found. The Virtual Console could have helped fill a void but it hasn't been announced as to when it will be available.

Connectivity
You must use a smartphone app to play and communicate with friends. Bluetooth audio devices are not supported.

Disagree with the Games.

Agree with your take on social aspect and bluetooth audio devices.

Nairume

Banned
What the fuck are these responses doing on NeoGAF?
Because people already exhausted their actual replies the last several times he posted this thread.

There's discussing the system's flaws, and then there is Spy's sad obsession to let everyone know just how much he thinks this thing is flawed.

....you guys realize the reason OP remade this thread is because mods thought this topic was pre-mature when the Switch was not even out yet? Now that it's out OP is just remaking the thread. Seriously there's a lot of people here getting very defensive over a piece of electronic...

I think if the thread were made by someone else, we wouldn't be seeing most of these responses, but I can see how it comes off as disingenious to some.

Played Zelda in bed yesterday, played Zelda in bad this morning, played Zelda on the tv during the day, played Zelda in the couch while my gf was watching a movie this evening. All the same save.

Let's talk about how much nintendo has succeeded.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you do all that on the WiiU?

Outside of that and in regards to the OP.

I haven't really been following the Switch but how would you play online and chat with people on your friends list?

Say I'm playing Minecraft and my cousin is playing MARIO Kart, how do they converse?

I am speaking for my daughter as I don't play much video games these days. I could see her hating not being able to chit chat across multiple titles so she can keep in contact with friends and family.

Should be standard at this point, especially if they are charging for online now.

No excuse for that, but as I said I haven't been following so maybe I'm reading wrong and everything I said is incorrect.

I love the internet and fanboyism...

One persons opinion: "Theres an issue"
Internet response: "No there's not"

One persons opinion: "There isn't an issue"
Internet response: "Yes there is"

You'll never win OP, opinions and forums never work.

If I was you, I'd sell your Switch and buy the inevitable revised version in xxx weeks/months.

This is a reductive comment.

Might as well not discuss anything ever then.

jamwater

Banned
One of the big selling points for me was the Hybrid aspect, the little screen is phenomenal - but in portable mode holding the thing, and using the joycons kills my hands.

My Dad said maybe your hands will get used to it?

I'm hoping.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Because people already exhausted their actual replies the last several times he posted this thread.

There's discussing the system's flaws, and then there is Spy's sad obsession to let everyone know just how much he thinks this thing is flawed.

It's not even that he has made a thread about it twice he also post about it, in what it feels like, every thread.

bidguy

Banned
fox.jpg

uhh, what does that even have to do with anything ?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Bluetooth thing is forgivable only because as you said other systems don't have it as well, however those systems have controllers with 3.5 jacks to get around it with other headsets. The Switch doesn't.

Wait, what Bluetooth? I can't find any Bluetooth settings.

Oxn

It really is bad.

I have $305 in Gamestop credit which makes it essentially free for me, and i dont wanna spend it on it.

I'm surprised so many people are saying "Yup, agree with everything in OP".

Because literally until this topic I didn't believe anyone had any intention or desire of playing through Zelda using only a single joycon, or how bad a fuck up that not being comfortably possible is.

The fact that you can't imagine somebody playing Zelda with a single Joycon shows how dubious a claim it is that the console comes with two controllers.

I don't want to play anything with a single Joycon. I'd also like to have a d-pad out of the box.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No Bluetooth headphones is a huge disappointment to me. I had no idea about that.

Fuck 3.5mm jacks.

Alex

Bluetooth audio is a lag issue apparently - due to bluetooth bandwidth. PS4 and my bravia does not have it either and my mbp is iffy when I switch the fastshare thing on and use bt headphones.

Hm, that's odd. I use BT audio constantly on my phone and PC games without issue. You can force it to work on PS4 but it requires a USB soundcard that has Bluetooth as well. Think they're like 35-40 bucks but since my Bluetooth set also supports 3.5mm I just went with that.

It's harder with Switch coz of no close port unless you have the full system.

Nairume

Banned
But i thought there already was a thread where people discussed switch shortcomings. It was called the no switch club or something.
There was also this same exact thread posted by spy, as well as several others similar to it that he did.

Even rushed out a hot take thread about hiphiprobot's Switch getting taken back by Nintendo, followed by Spy doing everything he could to downplay the fact that the system was stolen.

There's discussing flaws in a system that definitely has them, and there is being obsessively disingenuous.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I must have gotten a magic Switch or something. No issues at all. Freaking love this thing.

It's just the normal thing that happens, the people which it doesn't work perfectly for is the ones you will see more as they are the ones who will speak up while the people who it works good for will just play or hang in other threads and not make new ones every 15 mins for new "issues".

I've had no problems so far but I'm ordering some tempered glass screen protectors to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom