• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here are some issues I have with the Switch launch for us to politely discuss

LordKano

And two pro controllers. Because using the Joy Cons as two separate controllers for two players has glaring limitations. (not to mention incredibly uncomfortable)

It works really well with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or Snipperclips, so not, it's not limited for the games that are suited for them (aka most games you'll play locally).

Gonna be honest, I really hope Nintendo fixes the issues with the Switch and starts migrating over to solely a software company and lives on through other consoles and app stores. They have some really bad people making decisions and quite frankly they should clean house.

There it is. We've gone full circle now, as always.

Failed is too strong word, they've definitely stumbled a bit though.

Who hurt you, OP?

It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault,

Poor fella, hurt and sad.

Switch is fantastic.

Someone give OP some cookies. He seems very sad.

Show me on the doll where Reggie touched you...

Someone's upset mommy wouldn't give them enough allowances to buy a second console 😫

The Nintendo defense force sure are bringing out their best and brightest.

I personally love the thing. The OS is barebones and I want cloud storage asap, but I'm excited for the future as it stands. Currently, I'm having a blast with it and my family has loved it too.

My only big issue is that my left joycon had that issue. I was in kind of a weird position and it's not occurred more than a couple of times. My neon set has been flawless. Some better games pricing would have helped in regards to stuff like bomberman and 1,2 switch.

Failed is too strong word, they've definitely stumbled a bit though.

I'm not a fanboy of anything as I don't develop such ties to corporations, but when you have one extreme, you're bound to see the other arise. The Nintendo hate has been crazy ridiculous on this board for the past couple of months. It's no wonder, the opposing side is getting looney.

Drifters

It works really well with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or Snipperclips, so not, it's not limited for the games that are suited for them (aka most games you'll play locally).

There it is. We've gone full circle now, as always.

When the Wii was the last hit within the past 10 years, you've got to get rid of the driftwood.

Feels almost like a Beta ( or even an Alpha really) console but I still have to say that it feels great and I'm enjoying the three games (Zelda, FAST and Shovel Knight) I bought. There's definitely a lot of work to do and the launch could have been better but I don't regret my purchase.

K' Dash

rock_band.png

StereoVsn

Oh look, another nitpicky thread that makes the Switch's flaws way worse than they actually are. Seriously, the Switch isn't perfect, but it looks like a much better system than the Wii U.
Well, it came out several years after the WiiU so yes, it needs to get over that low bar.

Overall I feel the OP is not particularly unfair. All the listed problems exist and especially left joycon and the save system are problematic, IMO. The first since it could be a permanently unfoxable hardware issue and the latter because it's bullshit to disallow save copies/backups:transfers on a handheld device that can easily be broken or stolen.

On a personal level I hate the weak WiFi signal on 2.4ghz band and lack of the Bluetooth headphone support.

Fou-Lu

Most of the issues can (and likely will be fixed), but I don't deny that they exist and most of them shouldn't have. Still my personal Switch experience has been perfect and Breath of the Wild is one of the most impressive games I have ever played, so I am happy.

Only time will tell if they failed, but this has been a pretty tepid launch. Zelda is definitely a highlight, but it doesn't wash away what is other wise a poor launch line up, expensive yet clearly rushed hardware with massive oversights and a barebones OS. Now, yes, this is a launch unit, but you have to wonder what Nintendo has been doing all this time, considering how weak the Wii U release schedule has been over the past year or two and the fact that they've had years to get OS and Services right, and in some ways have regressed compared to the Wii U.

Some will dismiss it as fine, because Zelda, but a lot of these mistakes are mistakes that Nintendo should not be making coming off the back of their biggest flagship flop to date.

Nintendo will fix all these issues.

Their future hinges on it.

This isn't Sony and the Vita.

Idk Nintendo seems to be pretty inept with anything that isn't the quality of their first-party titles. It and the smash hit the Wii itself was has been keeping them afloat since after the SNES. Seems like the chickens have come home to roost and Nintendo put themselves in a very tough situation where they were forced to rush release of a last effort console or release it and likely get killed in the fall by Scorpio and whatever Sony does with the Slim and Pro bundles/drops. I hope that isn't the case, honestly, because I'd love to see Nintendo catch up and be a successful company.

Played Zelda in bed yesterday, played Zelda in bad this morning, played Zelda on the tv during the day, played Zelda in the couch while my gf was watching a movie this evening. All the same save.

Let's talk about how much nintendo has succeeded.

You can do that on a Wii U

OP is right tbh, Switch is basically a PS4 situation where they have great marketing and overall mindshare but the product itself has pretty terrible value compared to its predecessors.

LordRaptor

Valid points. I've never owned a Nintendo console and I'm really tempted to try Zelda. Seems like buying a Wii U with a (cheaper at that) pro controller is the best choice.

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, but a wiiu isn't that much cheaper but is definitely not getting anything else in the future

The_Balm

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
What are those roles?
Well, I'm the boss. Because I'm the oldest.

You mentioned earlier that you're the boss because you're the oldest. Do you ever worry about getting older and whether what you think is fun is really in tune with other people?
Even if I worried about that, it wouldn't do us any good. For me it's much more fun to see if the thing that I made is actually going to sell well. Rather than me trying to create something that I think other people will like, I just keep making things that I like and then I just see if other people like them too.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/shi...-apple-w455043

Yikes! I wonder why Nintendo has been struggling... /s

Fitts

Err... I played the hell out of MK8 on Wii U. There's no way that playing it with one of the Joy Cons would be an ideal experience. They disappear in my hands just holding them one handed, the buttons are tiny, and the ergonomics are awful when turning them sideways -- especially the one that puts the stick right next to the buttons. If using a Wiimote turned sideways to play MK on Wii sucked, using a single Joy Con to play MK sounds like hell.

brinstar

Lack of Dpad is my biggest issue. I was planning on getting a Pro Controller either way but I prefer playing in handheld mode, so it sucks that there has to be such a big compromise as someone who won't be playing much local multiplayer with people who also won't have Switches of their own. Even if Nintendo just announced a Joycon "classic" was coming I'd feel better about it.

All of those issues are why I passed on the Switch, for now. Hopefully they redress a lot of that stuff at E3 and make a Switch worth $300.

Mael

I wonder what the people so happy to remind everyone that they don't want to buy a Switch thought about the "fantastic" launch of the WiiU or the 3DS.
Heck even the DS.
I like the past tense of the OT like we already know that the Nintendo is closing up shop or something.

Err... I played the hell out of MK8 on Wii U. There's no way that playing it with one of the Joy Cons would be an ideal experience. They disappear in my hands just holding them one handed, the buttons are tiny, and the ergonomics are awful when turning them sideways -- especially the one that puts the stick right next to the buttons. If using a Wiimote turned sideways to play MK on Wii sucked, using a single Joy Con to play MK sounds like hell.

If you played MK8, you probably had access to a wiimote.
Put that sucker sideways and you'll have a worse experience than Joycons provide.
And of course it's not mandatory, you have options.
Like seriously the joycons are basically like a weird shaped SNES controller with a stick instead of a dpad.
It's ideal for stuffs like snipperclips, less so for more complex games but I'm not teaching you anything here.

Bluth54

I love Nintendo for giving me the best content on GAF.

The Switch release and Zelda getting 10/10's personally hurt some GAF users somehow and it's great.

I own a Switch and I'm loving Zelda but the OP is 100% correct about the problems with the system itself. You don't have to blindly defend Nintendo's many bad decisions and the problems with the Switch just because Zelda is good.

The way some of you are downplaying the perfectly valid issues in the OP is mindboggling. If it were any other console, you'd be the first with your pitchforks out. As I said in my post not to long ago, these aren't the sorts of stupid oversights a company coming off of the Wii U should be making. Just because you're enjoying the system, doesn't make any of it less true.

Spy

Lack of Dpad is my biggest issue. I was planning on getting a Pro Controller either way but I prefer playing in handheld mode, so it sucks that there has to be such a big compromise as someone who won't be playing much local multiplayer with people who also won't have Switches of their own. Even if Nintendo just announced a Joycon "classic" was coming I'd feel better about it.
I feel like a Joy-Con with a d-pad is given once the Virtual Console is announced. Hopefully sometime this summer.

LordKano

Well, I actually played MK8DX several times with one joycon (with the strap) and it's a perfectly viable way to play it. Since it isn't a particularly complex game, you don't need to be that reactive on the input and it's well suited for that. I mean, I didn't have any problem while I played it and I don't think I would have any with the full game.

Joy-cons are actually nicer to hold than wiimote, due do them being more suited for your hands (unlike Wiimote, which was a core to reach the B or A button while you were holding it sideways). It feels more natural. Now, I know that the obvious better way is the pro controller, like for most games, but joycons allow to have two controllers right out of the box and both are perfectly enjoyable way to play simple games locally.

Because selling less than half than its predecessor is a resounding success.

Yes, it sold less than the predecessor, it must be a total failure then. Doomed ! I guess Sony was doomed too when the PS3 barely sold half of its predecessor. I wonder why they're still here then...

Majine

Banned
I feel like the things that are not there can and probably will be remedied eventually.

And the stuff that IS there, if it wasn't, would probably never be fixed.

For example: The system is fast. Waking up from sleep mode, jumping between games, the e-shop, it's all good. This is not the Wii U situation.

Jubenhimer

Well, it came out several years after the WiiU so yes, it needs to get over that low bar.

Overall I feel the OP is not particularly unfair. All the listed problems exist and especially left joycon and the save system are problematic, IMO. The first since it could be a permanently unfoxable hardware issue and the latter because it's bullshit to disallow save copies/backups:transfers on a handheld device that can easily be broken or stolen.

On a personal level I hate the weak WiFi signal on 2.4ghz band and lack of the Bluetooth headphone support.

Look, he's not wrong with his criticisms. The problem is that OP is making them out to be far worse than they actually are. For example, the Joy-Con being $80. Yeah, that sounds pricey, until you actually see what you're getting for your $80. You're getting 2 self-contained controllers for multiplayer out of the box (which many people have said are actually more comfortable than they look) complete with HD Rumble, Motion Controls, NFC Reader/Writer, and IR Camera, all for $20 less than buying the two separately.

Most of the other problems with the Switch can easily be fixed in software updates, and price cuts. Yes things are flawed now, but it has more room to grow than the Wii U ever did.

Darcotik

Banned
Shocked by the overall attitude. Just becuz you have no 90£ dock to scratch your freshly unwrapped hardware with. Jealousy is a sad thing.

People need to realize that the faster issues like this get brought to attention and caught by X company, the faster they can get it fixed and out of everyone's misery.

The more issues that don't get caught that people have to try to live and put up with, the more it eventually hardens their hearts and sours their minds in the long run towards X company.

So by trying to cover issues up, they aren't doing their beloved company any service.

Also, OP you've missed a few issues,

Like the scratches that people are getting while docking,

closeup-1fedcf66-5748-48df-b28d-39469fae0ea1.jpg

Original thread with others reporting the same with picshttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349599
Protection thread that was spawned from it with various ideas on how to protect from scratches for the time being. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349755

Also, the screen quality apparently differs kind of like the 3Ds did.

Zy8TFLQ.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231460640#post231460640

Top Bottom