• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya: "to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration."

Congratulations for PlatinumGames and Taro for their successful collaboration and for Kamiya being humble enough to admit that Taro greatly helped out PG!

HardRojo

Got the Platinum (heh) for Nier the legit way, so I'm glad to see the game spurred new life into the studio. Looking forward to more Platinum games. Vanquish, Bayonetta and Revengeance are among my favorite games.

Automata succeeded because it was developed by platinum, not because of the name Nier. No one cared about this franchise before platinum stepped in.
They basically saved themselves

I think it's both and imo platinum didn't really deliver the kind of gameplay I was expecting. what carries the game is everything else

Philippo

Got ya fam.

When+asked+why+2b+fights+in+heels+our+lord+and+_9bdcdee73a1017fb76d5c54f9cf9b148.jpg

LotusHD

Banned
2B fanart saved a dev studio, is this the first time something like this happened?

It was more than fanart! :p

Got the Platinum (heh) for Nier the legit way, so I'm glad to see the game spurred new life into the studio. Looking forward to more Platinum games. Vanquish, Bayonetta and Revengeance are among my favorite games.

I don't understand, this implies that there is an illegit way. That can't be right.

I don't particularly care for story.

On it's own the success this has created is a good thing. But I'm concerned this is an omen of a shift.

Of what lol

The problem is it hurts their brand with mainstream gamers when games like Star Fox, and Wonderful 101 bomb so for longevity in the gaming industry, while they get paid upfront for striking console exclusive deals, it doesn't allow them to get even more revenue by selling said games because they have limited themselves to such a small audience.

And I like Platinum's courage to support Nintendo at a point very few 3rd party studios ended up to so this isn't me waving the PS4 pom poms.
They supported PS360 and underperformed.
Because of that they couldn't really say no to major publishers wanting to give them money.
SEGA wasnt going to do a Bayo 2 so Nintendo stepped in.
By the time PS4 came out and was a success they basically just had Bayo 2 in the works for Wii U.
Wonderful 101 came out 3 months before PS4 launched and was greenlight before Wii U Wii U'd. Scalebound was announced before Xbox Xbox'd itself.
Can't really fault the studio
So your post is pretty much nonsense

Activision close down the division heading that operation.

And Platinum needed that to keep the lights on.

Them losing that isn't good if they aren't getting new games to make.

Well yeah, I'm glad that their success with Nier should mean that they will not be forced to produce shit for money.

Blindy

Again, comments like this really make me think you don't entirely understand. It's not "courage" when you are desperate for well paid contract work, which is your bread and butter, they either supported Nintendo or got no money, it's that simple really..
They can spend their time on other new IPs to sell then or go the Metal Gear Rising route and inherit a well liked IP and put their spin on it. Kamiya wanted a sequel to Bayonetta 2 and was going to followup a game he was passionate about. They didn't have to make a Bayonetta 2.

silva1991

I'm still shocked people were so pessimistic about it. I get it, his past games didn't do as well, but it seemed that the only real issue was its combat. You had the story from Yoko Taro, the music from Okabe, and now the combat from Platinum. Predicted it would be a success waiting to happen from Day 1 from a criticial standpoint, but yea, literally no one predicted it would sell that well, that's for sure.

Platinumes combat didn't make Bayonetta and their other games a huge sellers.

Platinum have been associated with bomba for a long time and that's why both Nier and Scalebound(rip) were expected to flop by many.

They need to start bring more consisten with good games, i know nier is a great success now but lately they have churned and taken on out a lot of b tier games. Then again you have to take whatever project and budget you can get i guess.

addik

It was more than fanart! :p

Lol this reminds me of a friend I had who (rudely) asked me what the big deal was with Nier: Automata (this was the time during the announcement was made, so they didn't show 2B's design yet).

Then, 2B's design came out and so did the fan art. His whole FB page is just filled with 2B cosplays now lol. So yeah, definitely the fan art.

jonno394

They can spend their time on other new IPs to sell then or go the Metal Gear Rising route and inherit a well liked IP and put their spin on it. Kamiya wanted a sequel to Bayonetta 2 and wasn't going to followup a game he was passionate about. They didn't have to make a Bayonetta 2.

They can only make new IPs when someone pays them to do it. Nintendo paid them to make Bayonetta 2, they had to make it, likely because there were no better offers on the table. I'll drop the subject now as you clearly know what's up!

I think Platinum Games waking up and smelling the coffee and divulging a big title on the PS4 and it's giant fanbase after years of going with Nintendo(Bayonetta 2, Star Fox:Zero Wonderful 101) and Microsoft(Scalebound despite it being cancelled) might have helped this company. 3 games on a failed platform like Wii U and none for the PS4 until Nier Automata just doesn't make much sense. It's good to see Nintendo get 3rd party support do not get me wrong but it just didn't make sense at the time for Platinum games.

I understand they would not have been able to do any of these games without either's support but I think the neglecting of the PS4 wasn't the best decision for Kamiya and his main team. What was the last game he has put on a PS console? Metal Gear Rising which was a multiplatform game?

Between this and now getting Vanquish/Bayonetta 1 on Steam, Platnium game is starting to make some wise moves.
That has nothing to do with it. They get paid regardless of how their games fair out on release and they don't choose the Platforms themselves. They just had a massive amount of their people's work dry up overnight after Scalebound was cancelled, which was their biggest game. I doubt that they would ever directly work with Microsoft again but if a 3rd party wanted a Xbox version of a game they are publishing, it would get done. As for Nintendo, their 5 games on Wii U kept them paid and busy, that relationship is strong. It's not neglect, it's on Sony or some other 3rd party to contract a game from them.

LotusHD

Banned
Platinumes combat didn't make Bayonetta and their other games a huge sellers.

Platinum have been associated with bomba for a long time and that's why both Nier and Scalebound(rip) were expected to flop by many.

I'm not talking about sales, I'm referring to the people that thought it'd get a poor score.

Lol this reminds me of a friend I had who (rudely) asked me what the big deal was with Nier: Automata (this was the time during the announcement was made, so they didn't show 2B's design yet).

Then, 2B's design came out and so did the fan art. His whole FB page is just filled with 2B cosplays now lol. So yeah, definitely the fan art.

Touche lol

It is possible to buy the game's trophies/achievements with in game currency once you've beaten it.

I know, I was being sarcastic, as I don't see that as not being legit.

Automata succeeded because it was developed by platinum, not because of the name Nier. No one cared about this franchise before platinum stepped in.

I really don't even know where you'd begin in trying to figure out why Automata has done so well. Nier of course wasn't a hit by any means, neither critically or commercially. And while Platinum are a critical darling, their games in general don't do all that well. So how in the world would combining those things turn into a success? The fact that it's a great game isn't a surprise, but the success definitely is.

HardRojo

Nier putting in the work!

Scalebound... what could have been.

It didn't look good in my opinion. I was really hyped when it was first announced, then we saw gameplay and my excitement went away. But this is simply derailing the thread, what's great is knowing that Platinum will keep on developing amazing games.

Hektor

Google translate

It's my pleasure really care now. Support to Platinum, thanks to work both spiritually and it really helped me. Able to make a game together, are honored. Thank you very much.

The gist of the answer is clear imho.

And it's the one PlatinumGames title I don't own...

One more reason to change that, no?

No one cared about Platinum titles prior either

How much did Automata end up selling? I thought it was only a relatively moderate success. Then again, maybe that's exactly what Platinum/Taro needed.

A tearjerker either way. Excellent job to both.

It's possibly the best selling PlatinumGame ever made with nearly 2 Million copies sold.

I'm so glad they finally got a hit, they truly deserved it. I'm hoping the Granblue game ends up being successful for them as well.

LotusHD

Banned

Someone can do a better translation, but basically he's saying it was his pleasure, he was honored to work with them, that it helped him as well, so he wants to thank them as well.

Plot twist!

Good for them though, hopefully this means that they'll collaborate again.

I recall reading an article that if they decide to do so, they want the same team. Or at least, the 5 most prominent people or so regarding putting Automata together.

Ydelnae

I hope S-E continues to partner with them one more time for a TWEWY game. I think it's their only other buried IP that could see success if reawaken by Platinum, like Nier.

But I think we will just get another Nier game.

Aters

Like I said, I am sure they would have wanted Bayonetta 2 to be a multi platform game but Nintendo was the lone one willing to dance with them. I get it. But to have Platnium's A team shy away from the PS4 user fanbase and spend time with 2 disappointing consoles is going to hurt a company.

So Nintendo is hurting Platinum by giving them work to do? Why don't Sony fund a game for Platinum then?

HardRojo

The first part is basically him expressing he feels the same way towards Platinum and thanking all of them. The second part I don't know because I can't read most kanji :(
Like I said, I am sure they would have wanted Bayonetta 2 to be a multi platform game but Nintendo was the lone one willing to dance with them. I get it. But to have Platnium's A team shy away from the PS4 user fanbase and spend time with 2 disappointing consoles is going to hurt a company.
While it would be great to have Bayonetta 2 on other consoles (lol I didn't think I'd say that again after all this time and that ridiculous thread from years ago), Nintendo was the only one willing to foot the bill and make that game a reality, which is great as we would have ended up with no game otherwise. Sony should have stepped in if they wanted it, but they didn't.

I hope S-E continues to partner with them one more time for a TWEWY game. I think it's their only other buried IP that could see success if reawaken by Platinum, like Nier.

But I think we will just get another Nier game.
Nier is structured and is the scale of a KH game. I think they can probably do a spin off pretty well. I'd love for them to make TWEWY 2 since no one else is going to

Aters

lol you are imply people gave a damn about Platnum after a heap of shit games and a cancelled one.

killatopak

Gold Member
to say that Platinum saved Yoko-san's IP would not be an overstatement as well.

I feel that they mutually benifeted each other. Yoko having his name reach mainstream and Platinum having a success after such a long time.

JCG

I'm glad to hear this. As for the explanation behind the success of the game, it's really about the sum of its parts but clearly Yoko Taro's involvement cannot be downplayed here. He's the reason why the story and the themes of Nier Automata were simultaneously kind of weird yet powerful enough to resonate so much. Needless to say, the gameplay not being a turn off allowed people to give the story a chance and Platinum definitely did its job right in an area that has historically been one of Yoko Taro's weak points.

Would the game be saved by, say, 2B alone if the story sucked and the gameplay was poorly received? No, it'd just be another bad game with a cool/sexy character design that gets a lot more fan art than actual sales. The way things have turned out, the character's appeal is effectively enhancing and supplementing the rest of a solid production, rather than being the only salvageable part.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm glad to hear this. As for the explanation behind the success of the game, it's really about the sum of its parts but clearly Yoko Taro's involvement cannot be downplayed here. He's the reason why the story and the themes of Nier Automata were simultaneously kind of weird yet powerful enough to resonate so much. Needless to say, the gameplay not being a turn off allowed people to give the story a chance and Platinum definitely did its job right.

Would the game be saved by, say, 2B alone if the story sucked and the gameplay was poorly received? No, it'd just be another bad game with a cool/sexy character design that gets a lot more fan art than actual sales. The way things have turned out, the character's appeal is effectively enhancing and supplementing the rest of a solid production, rather than being the only salvageable part.

Absolutely agreed.

I'm really happy that Nier: Automata ended up doing so well for both parties. Hopefully they'll work together and see similar success in the future.

~Cross~

Quality of the game has very little to do with Platinum's success because if it was they wouldn't be in the position they were in the first place.

They needed SEs publishing/marketing chops and Yoko's direction as much they needed their own game making expertise. But without the first two, the third would be worth absolutely nothing.

Vanille

Cool.

Will this finally bring an end to the posts wishing for Platinum to become a Nintendo 2nd party?

lol, of course not.

Top Bottom