• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya: "to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration."

Google translate

It's my pleasure really care now. Support to Platinum, thanks to work both spiritually and it really helped me. Able to make a game together, are honored. Thank you very much.

The gist of the answer is clear imho.

One more reason to change that, no?

No one cared about Platinum titles prior either

It's possibly the best selling PlatinumGame ever made with nearly 2 Million copies sold.
What? Both bayonetta and MG:R have very good fanbases. People love platinum, good platinum games

Cool.

Will this finally bring an end to the posts wishing for Platinum to become a Nintendo 2nd party?

lol, of course not.
When a company is in straits, people will latch on to the most stable and reliable source of work that company has gotten as the only way out. Now that things aren't that dire anymore, they can just wish they make Da Gud Gaems.

PlatinumGames are usually well received critically and by fans.
None of this "they were never good" or "no one cared" nonsense.
They made a few bad licensed kids games but that doesn't really suddenly remove their history (and Bayo 2 is <3 years old at this point)

But why? Was platinum going bankrupt or something?
The Scalebound cancellation and a more recent string of duds did a real number on them. Lost employees, lost revenue. This project resparked invigoration in platinum not only in finances, but with recruiting as well.

Skelter

Banned
Again, comments like this really make me think you don't entirely understand. It's not "courage" when you are desperate for well paid contract work, which is your bread and butter, they either supported Nintendo or got no money, it's that simple really..

Some people just think businesses operate with no thiught for profit or have no concept how Platinum makes money.

Nothing official. Probably rough times recently.
I imagine expecting a big team to be busy on a project for several months and for the project to suddenly be cancelled hurts.
They don't have much announced right now. On consoles it's just GranBlue which doesn't have a localization announcement nor a release window

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well its obvious that YT is the G.

And some people said Nier A was just a niche title that woulden't amount to anything prior to release. I'll admit even i didn't expect this kind of result even if i hoped for it.

Just based on my previous experiences with YT games...the fact that Nier A actually gained a huge following of people that wasn't a slow burn years after release is just astounding to me, and i'm very happy for YT and the staff over at Platinum games, it could not have come at a more important time

Bayonetta 2 bombed , they released it on a platform that doesn't cater to their fans. All platform projects should be geared towards pc ps4 xbox one
First of all: Ha.

Second of all: I'm pretty sure Bayonetta 2 made enough money and sold enough to be considered a good success after the reprint and Smash 4 effort.

God, I hope that doesn't mean from now on Platinum will make many many more games with weighty controls where you have to run around in endless empty open areas playing depressive, whiny characters and do tons of forced walking before and after some unskippable cutscene parts (A2 as a character and later playing route C plus ending D was ok though).

Hektor

What? Both bayonetta and MG:R have very good fanbases. People love platinum, good platinum games

Bayonetta 1 sold 1.3 million copies in the first 6 months and was considered a disappointment.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20100514_hosoku_e_final.pdf#page=5

We don't have any numbers for Bayo 2 except that it didn't weven sold 1/3rd of what Bayo 1 did in launchweek

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/despite-glowing-bayonetta-2-reviews-sales-in-japan/1100-6422548/

Metal Gear Rising has had the favor of being a Metal Gear game.

PlatinumGames are usually well received critically and by fans.
None of this "they were never good" or "no one cared" nonsense.
They made a few bad licensed kids games but that doesn't really suddenly remove their history (and Bayo 2 is <3 years old at this point)

Their history are consistently bad selling games.
The response they get on NeoGAF is not representative of the market a a whole or their sales.

I never even said they were never good, i love their games.
It's fact that the market at large did not care however or they wouldn't even be in the situation were they can hardly get funding for Bayo 2 or the need to take on cheap licensed project for activision

Squishy3

Bayonetta 2 bombed , they released it on a platform that doesn't cater to their fans. All platform projects should be geared towards pc ps4 xbox one
Scalebound being cancelled had more effect on Platinum than Bayonetta 2 and W101 bombing. The games came out, Nintendo at least paid the company for their contract work, while Scalebound was in development for 4 years and will never see the light of day, that's a huge blow to a company.

Bayo 2 and W101 can/will probably be ported to the Switch, which would end up increasing their overall sales. Scalebound will never have that luxury, nor will they probably ever be able to restart development on it due to JP leaving and the nature of their contract with Microsoft.

Scalebound was a very big project that definitely put quite a few employees in situations without work. Not to mention their CEO, Minami, resigned last year and so did JP Kellams who was another long-time employee. From an outsider's perspective, it seemed like morale was kind of low at the company, so this was a nice boost for them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, Sino Alice is out, so Yoko's likely free to work on his next project.

And given that he really doesn't have a team, or is actually a SE employee... I'd say that its basically up to Saito to put it together.

LotusHD

Banned
Making use of the 140 character limit ;)

Happy to hear Nier was a success, couldn't have come at a better time in my opinion. Now, I gotta get better at their games before I buy Automata...

Automata is not hard to play compared to previous Platinum games. They went out of their way to make it more accessible for people, to the point where there's an Auto-chip available in Easy mode where your character can fight without you controlling them.

Fisty

Nier's subpar gameplay and Platinum's meh storytelling completely cancelled each other out with this game. I was amazed with how well they both worked together to create something that was a flawless experience.

I hope Taro becomes a permanent Platinum employee and gets to work on future Platinum IP's
and MGR2 please lord

Scalebound being cancelled had more effect on Platinum than Bayonetta 2 and W101 bombing. The games came out, Nintendo at least paid the company for their contract work, while Scalebound was in development for 4 years and will never see the light of day, that's a huge blow to a company.

Bayo 2 and W101 can/will probably be ported to the Switch, which would end up increasing their overall sales. Scalebound will never have that luxury, nor will they probably ever be able to restart development on it due to JP leaving and the nature of their contract with Microsoft.
All 3 and shitty Activision games is the reason platinum is in the position they're in. Scalebound would have bombed as well. It wasn't a good game. Like any contracted game development they were paid up into that point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Absolutely fantastic news!!! I hope this mean SE willing give him more projects to work on also give him little more budget with out taking away his creative freedom.

NieR Automata is great game thank to both Yoko and Patinum.

All 3 and shitty Activision games is the reason platinum is in the position they're in. Scalebound would have bombed as well. It wasn't a good game. Like any contracted game development they were paid up into that point.
At least they would've been paid the full amount for their work and not face an internal restructure if it had been completed and released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious if they've started making a sequel yet.

Generally independent studios have to sign projects six months in advance, but all the statements surrounding this game suggest that Square Enix wasn't sure that Nier would do well enough to sign up a sequel right away, so they might have to actually ship a non-service game to have an available team to work with.

Then again, Scalebound's cancellation may have changed that.

Marcel

Yoko Taro was always good. Platinum was always good. They were great together. Congratulations to both of them.

Generally independent studios have to sign projects six months in advance, but all the statements surrounding this game suggest that Square Enix wasn't sure that Nier would do well enough to sign up a sequel right away, so they might have to actually ship a non-service game to have an available team to work with.

I wouldnt mind more of the Square x PG partnership even if it isnt a Neir sequel too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Now take Scalebound's engine and the Dragon mechanic and make Drakengard 4. PLEASE!!!!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, scalebounds cancellation was a bigger deal then I thought
Well, you have to remember that independent studios generally see zero profit from their successes unless they're incredibly large successes (or negotiate from a position of strong previous success), so their continued existence depends entirely on publishers being willing to sign them for work.

Those contracts also take a long time to nail down, so cancellations are often a worst case scenario.

Hektor

Given that Yoko Taro officially left his office at P* a few months ago, i'm pretty convinced that it hasn't entered production yet.

Towards making fewer and fewer action-centric titles?

I'm pretty sure they already said that they want to make more mainstream RPG titles with platinum strenght in the future because Character-Action doesn't sell.

However, i can't find that statement right now, so i might be misremembering.

FSahZdL.jpg
hmmm...
What could all of this mean...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldnt mind more of the Square x PG partnership even if it isnt a Neir sequel too.
I guess I more so mean that their staff may have been signed to something with another publisher to follow up after Scalebound if Square hadn't already agreed to another project circa October 2016.

Apathy

Well, you have to remember that independent studios generally see zero profit from their successes unless they're incredibly large successes (or negotiate from a position of strong previous success), so their continued existence depends entirely on publishers being willing to sign them for work.

Those contracts also take a long time to nail down, so cancellations are often a worst case scenario.

I guess so. I'm going to assume that that experience with ms and how much of a close call it was have made platinum quite weary with whom they'll work for

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess so. I'm going to assume that that experience with ms and how much of a close call it was have made platinum quite weary with whom they'll work for
Well that's part of why Nier was important though. They had very limited publisher options due to the amount of failures they had, and now they seem a lot more attractive to potential publishing partners.

Squishy3

Scalebound would have bombed as well. It wasn't a good game.
Oh, you played it?

Wonderful 101's also easily the best game Platinum's released (I will easily put it above Bayo 2 any day of the week) aside from Nier Automata, but that's more Yoko's ideas being put into a game where he's finally paired with a developer that can do what he wanted to do. I was also initially super meh on Nier Automata until I finished all the routes, and I adored the first game. And SinCityAssassin is right, Scalebound being cancelled is the biggest blow, because they basically worked 4 years on something for a fraction of what they'd have been paid when the game was finished.

The Activision licensed games make a lot more sense when you consider they probably took those because they were relatively easy to complete and helped prop up active development on Scalebound, since reporters with sources involved in Scalebound's development state that Microsoft had halted payments and made unachievable milestones.

Top Bottom