• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitbox.tv | Switch from Twitch

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So streamed several times and I've had good experiences. Some things are still rough and a lot to be seen, but my streaming audience has reported the player works best for most of them out of sites I've tested with them over the last year, emoticons have become well liked, and latency currently is fantastic. Quality is fantastic too, and the team feature is a cool networking function. Toyed around with some of the stuff and some of the upcoming stuff will be much appreciated.

Also as I've been one of the more watched streams and managed over 100 viewers and applied, seems I passed the current requirements for partnership, just need to negotiate a contract when I get back from my trip. I know the situation with Own3d, so to see how this goes, but ai've decided to give it a risk.

My experience is very positive this far, though so much to be seen still, but I've decided to bet on it, you could say.

I managed to stream successfully the other night with Spelunky. No settings have changed, just now it's Dark Souls. Now, no stream. OBS can't connect.

I guess Hitbox.tv just isn't for me until they fix some things, because it appears this issue isn't on my end.

dhonk

Been trying hitbox out with my Elgato Game Capture HD and I get an audio delay. About 1 second, dont get it on twitch?

Anyone use an Elgato here? id like to try and copy your settings!

EDIT: Ok, turns out the delay was only in the archive view. Saved the video out and it appears fine: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/101886

Dusk Golem

A lot of fixes have been happening, which I'm happy about. The chat seems to be far more consistent of working and not swallowing messages now, also as a partner they added a 480p quality setting (previously there was only a 360p setting). A few other new things.

Hoping they update the game list soon, though.

Spades

Can't help but think that Hitbox will simply get left behind now that MS and Sony both have built-in support for Twitch.

Dusk Golem

Can't help but think that Hitbox will simply get left behind now that MS and Sony both have built-in support for Twitch.

Why left behind now? The site was founded when the PS4 support for Twitch and Microsofts announcements were already a thing, so its not like this is some new thing since the sites founding.

stream south park and got 2-3 views the entire day & i stream for 4-5 hours lol

As with any streaming service, and especially one that's growing, you need to grow your audience over time. And letting people know it exists help. Yesterday I streamed Resident Evil: Code Veronica and kept 40-60 people the whole time, for example, but I've been streaming for a year, previously on Livestream.com until about a month ago. It just slowly grows over time.

halfbeast

Banned

you can choose between ustream and twitch on the ps4 - there's no reason why they couldn't have hitbox as a third option.

Why left behind now? The site was founded when the PS4 support for Twitch and Microsofts announcements were already a thing, so its not like this is some new thing since the sites founding.

As with any streaming service, and especially one that's growing, you need to grow your audience over time. And letting people know it exists help. Yesterday I streamed Resident Evil: Code Veronica and kept 40-60 people the whole time, for example, but I've been streaming for a year, previously on Livestream.com until about a month ago. It just slowly grows over time.

Yeah, I'll keep grinding at it every day if i can to see what happens, I like the fact that it's new and it's just in the beginning of it's building stages

Dusk Golem

you can choose between ustream and twitch on the ps4 - there's no reason why they couldn't have hitbox as a third option.

If Hitbox grows, I'm certain it would have console support, but to be seen where the future goes. I've decided to take a stake in it.

Yeah, I'll keep grinding at it every day if i can to see what happens, I like the fact that it's new and it's just in the beginning of it's building stages

I enjoy it too. I previously wasn't using Twitch for some personal reasons, but was using Livestream.com since October in 2012. When I started, I only had about 2-4 people watch me, but I did start advertising streams on other services and over time (the next year and a few months), grew the average substantially. However, Livestream was having problems recently, and the audience building wasn't coming from Livestream (which has some terrible audience building tools, I will mention), but from me growing in other places I advertised it on.

I decided Hitbox about a month ago and to take my stake in it as I have tested nearly every streaming service, and my audience reports that Hitbox works the best for most of them (less people complaining about lag or the player not working for them than other sites), the latency is some of the best too, on-top of the fact I like how it's being actively developed on (a lot of new additions and fixes have been implemented in the site alone in the last 4 weeks I've been using the site alone), and I like hoping aboard new, growing things and helping it shape into what it becomes. The developers also are very responsive, which may not last if they do grow but is nice for right now.

But for growing audience, the only thing you can do is be persistent, give a method to those who know you maybe from other sources to know that you're streaming at the site, and then it all comes down to there from discovery and interest. People need to first discover the stream (and the site itself, at this point), and then have interest to continue watching. Which you can't really force, but just do what you find fun, and that in my opinion is the best way to approach it. One bright side to being an early adapter is if you are somewhat persistent, you'll likely grow as the site grows. I will say I've had more people stumble on my stream than on Livestream at least from sources where they didn't already know me. But it's still obviously much, much smaller right now than something like Twitch.

Laws00

considering i saw someone stream darksouls 2 im okay with it

maybe atl east with its ealy infantlite state they can get away with streaming games early to avoid publishers getting upset because no one knows about the site yet

Dusk Golem

More big updates.

They added better chat functionality, now I've had no complaints from users disconnecting, so that's good. Ads play properly now for those who are partnered. They also allowed links to be clickable, and you to be able to allow links rather than deleting them from users automatically, but on an individual basis. More banning options, like a timed ban rather than perma-ban and an IP ban for the broadcaster, as well as messages are now deleted from the banned user. Raised chat character limit, added new quality options for those who are partnered, among other things, and announced what their next big update is going to add.

Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

They finally updated the game list, For a long time they had it where the selection of games to display that you're streaming was stupidly limited (for an example, for Resident Evil they only had Resident Evil Archives, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil Outbreak File 2, and Resident Evil Revelations only available previously), but now they have most game titles under the sun. A small but appreciated thing I noticed on my part.

Dusk Golem

Official support would only happen if Hitbox makes waves. It's grown audience since, say, a month ago, but still isn't really competition. A lot of people still don't know what Hitbox is.

Dusk Golem

When the user does this, do the uploaded YT vids get converted to .mp4?

Hmn, not quite sure but the quality looked good to me, and I know at least I was recording in OBS with MP4, guess it would depend how Hitbox records it.

Which I just checked, and yes, it's .mp4 for me. You can download previous broadcasts of your own for 2 weeks after recording, and the format they download in is indeed .mp4.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hmn, not quite sure but the quality looked good to me, and I know at least I was recording in OBS with MP4, guess it would depend how Hitbox records it.

Which I just checked, and yes, it's .mp4 for me. You can download previous broadcasts of your own for 2 weeks after recording, and the format they download in is indeed .mp4.

Dusk Golem

I think bumping this thread with the recent Google news is very appropriate. I can also say the community has been slowly but surely growing, and stability has still be great, outside of every once in a while the site will spend a day updating and there will be some chat issues, but that's not a common thing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I think bumping this thread with the recent Google news is very appropriate. I can also say the community has been slowly but surely growing, and stability has still be great, outside of every once in a while the site will spend a day updating and there will be some chat issues, but that's not a common thing.

With what news? Why don't you wait until something is confirmed or changes are announced or something? Just calm down.

Dusk Golem

With what news? Why don't you wait until something is confirmed or changes are announced or something? Just calm down.

I meant word, Twitch could deny the deal, but it is news that Google has made a deal with Twitch. It could improve or hurt the site. However, in my stance from using both sites is that, while Hitbox is still growing, I think it's the better of the two sites between itself and Twitch, and think more so as the site updates with new features and response to complaints and stability over the last few months.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I meant word, Twitch could deny the deal, but it is news that Google has made a deal with Twitch. It could improve or hurt the site. However, in my stance from using both sites is that, while Hitbox is still growing, I think it's the better of the two sites between itself and Twitch, and think more so as the site updates with new features and response to complaints and stability over the last few months.

Well if you feel hitbox has reasons to switch besides "youtube might own twitch now" that's different I guess. Just trying to wait for some reasons to react before...overreacting like everyone seems to.

Dusk Golem

I think people are missing the point.

Its the streamer personalities that draw people to twitch. Not the website itself.

You are correct, a website is just tools. However, what draws the personalities are usually either opportunity, the tools, audience, or money (or some combination of such). And I'd argue Hitbox is much better for personalities for two out fou at this point, which would change if personalities decided to switch over. A lot of the features of Hitbox unique to it from Twitch really help for communication and overall better quality, but as a site it's still growing, and unlike Twitch it is still actively adding features, fixes, rather than resting on its laurels a lot of the time.

Goldmund

I think people are missing the point.

Its the streamer personalities that draw people to twitch. Not the website itself.
I think the biggest thing about Twitch is being able to behave like the worst person one can possibly be in chat form with thousands of people watching, jointly exploring the bottom of the barrel, from memes to opinions. That's the thing I immediately associate with the site, not individual streamers and their personalities. A lot of work has been put into Twitch by the community in this regard. You can't just have that from scratch.

I created an account. I am having my wisdom teeth removed in a couple of days, however, so it'll be a little while before I actually stream. Hopefully it'll run as smoothly as streaming on Twitch usually does for me.

Dusk Golem

Website got a big update, the player's been updated a lot, added some new functions like Shout and Subscriptions for partners, and having a few deals going on, like 25% CPM for partners between the dates of May 25th-June 18th, and 25% discounts for those who subscribe to channels.

This seems pretty cool. Willing to give it a chance regardless of the Own3d.tv fiasco, but as far as I can see there are no Dota streams at the moment :(

Sad times.

Edit: That went well! I had someone stop by and let me know the quality was good and the audio was in sync. I might use this as my main service. I like the idea of being in on it early if it does become a popular alternative to Twitch.

About to do my first test with this. I have my Wii U hooked up to my Elgato and am going to stream some Super Mario 3D World (World 5). I haven't played it since last year. I'll be on my iPad for chat.

I didn't get my wisdom teeth out, but I do have stitches on my head and can't wear a headset, so no commentary. If you do check out the stream, please let me know how it is running and if you encounter any issues. Thanks!

Super Mario 3D World test stream

Dusk Golem

More big updates all around. Chat has been updated substantially, viewer list now works accurately and well, new sticky chat messages and Giveaway options on the dashboard, among many other various fixes and changes.

User base has grown a bit, but still growing.

Top Bottom