• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman beta opens to PS+ members on 4th March

Foffy

Banned
Small update on the Elusive Targets stuff, friends.

Paris has six of them. The press has them live in their review copies.

Holy shit, this launches tomorrow!?

Played the beta over the weekend and yeah, hopefully they throw a 30 FPS lock in there. That being said, it felt GOOOOD to play a Hitman game again and immediately got me excited. :)

So I'm not able to connect to the server anymore but I can still play the beta in offline mode.

Hmm...

I really hope Paris is a much larger location. The tutorial missions were fun but also limited.

Foffy

Banned
So I'm not able to connect to the server anymore but I can still play the beta in offline mode.

Hmm...

I really hope Paris is a much larger location. The tutorial missions were fun but also limited.

The server was for the Challenges. They're tallying it very much like GTA Online's cloud saves, if you've played that.

Paris is the largest location the series has seen as a level. At least until they showed off Sapienza...

Small update on the Elusive Targets stuff, friends.

Paris has six of them. The press has them live in their review copies.

Nice. I'm expecting a frequency of probably
two a week
, then, which sounds like it's definitely a way to keep me playing.

Hmm...

As far as raw size and NPC counts are concerned, I think Paris is the large we've yet seen in a Hitman game, excepting some few outliers like SA's Japan missions.

EDIT: nvm, foffy's got the more accurate answer.

Foffy

Banned
Too bad they are wasting Paris location with just one mission.

It's one area where we will have at least 8 "missions" in.
- The Showstopper (main mission)
- The Director (Sarajevo Six; exclusive to PS4)
- The Usurper (Might be wrong on the name; Elusive Target)
- The Forger (Elusive Target)
- The Broker (Elusive Target)
- The Pharmacist (Elusive Target)
- The Paparazzo (Elusive Target)
- The Sensation (Elusive Target)

The question is when do the spoilered ones go live.

Well, that sounds great! Will you be able to chose your weapons before starting a mission? That sniper rifle is just too good, lol.

You can choose your loadout, and this apparently even includes attires. You unlock these through an experience system, I believe. Some content will come as live updates, too.

I also believe you
use the ICA base seen in the prologue as a hideout. There may be a "return to base" option in one of the menus.

Murkas

Nope, everything resets. The challenges you had from the original beta weekend were wiped with the test last weekend, actually.

As far as what releases on 3/11, you'll get all the same stuff in the intro pack that people buying the full experience will get. After that if you want the additional locations they'll be another $10/ea, releasing monthly. At this time there are no added bonuses or early access or any other perks for getting the full experience except for the fact that after the season is finished you will have saved I think $5 by buying the full experience up front.

That said, people are saying it's 7 updates now instead of 6, which would mean you'd save $15 instead of $5 by buying in early.

Cheers for the clarification, what I assumed it would be like, kinda like a telltale game. Not too fused about the money saved I guess even with the extra 7th piece.

Now gotta wait till Friday, stupid EU release days.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if we're offering up suggestions...

Hitman |OT| Absolved

Hitman |OT| All killer, no filler

Hitman |OT| More hitman than miss, man

Hitman |OT| How to survive a character assassination

Hitman |OT| Baller

Hitman |OT| Business as usual... and business is good

Hitman |OT| Perfectly executed

Hitman |OT| Lethal in small doses

Hitman |OT| Silent Assassin's Creed

Hitman |OT| Silent Assassin's Creed

1455914625.gif

Foffy

Banned
Cheers for the clarification, what I assumed it would be like, kinda like a telltale game. Not too fused about the money saved I guess even with the extra 7th piece.

Now gotta wait till Friday, stupid EU release days.

What do you mean by a Telltale game? You mean an overarching storyline?

There is one, but I imagine it is much like Silent Assassin in that it's the background lore that twirls all of the main hits together.
For example, the fashion show bodyguards in suits are all ex-CICADA operatives, so it already links the Sarajevo Six to the main antagonist group IAGO in a slightly deeper way than originally thought.

It's one area where we will have at least 8 "missions" in.
- The Showstopper (main mission)
- The Director (Sarajevo Six; exclusive to PS4)
- The Usurper (Might be wrong on the name; Elusive Target)
- The Forger (Elusive Target)
- The Broker (Elusive Target)
- The Pharmacist (Elusive Target)
- The Paparazzo (Elusive Target)
- The Sensation (Elusive Target)

The question is when do the spoilered ones go live.

You can choose your loadout, and this apparently even includes attires. You unlock these through an experience system, I believe. Some content will come as live updates, too.

I also believe you
use the ICA base seen in the prologue as a hideout. There may be a "return to base" option in one of the menus.

This sounds fantastic.

I need some mascot outfits though, lol.

I also believe you

This sounds awesome. I hope it's closer to Blood Money than Absolution's contracts with the loadouts though. Having my pick of whatever guns I've picked up is nice, but it was extra nice to really get kitted out and have my pistols, mines, healing items, sniper case AND have a shotgun/assault rifle stashed away in the level.

Murkas

What do you mean by a Telltale game? You mean an overarching storyline?

There is one, but I imagine it is much like Silent Assassin in that it's the background lore that twirls all of the main hits together.
For example, the fashion show bodyguards in suits are all ex-CICADA operatives, so it already links the Sarajevo Six to the main antagonist group IAGO in a slightly deeper way than originally thought.

As in you pay for it once at release, then get each additional chapter gets downloaded automatically for free down the line.

Foffy

Banned
As in you pay for it once at release, then get each additional chapter gets downloaded automatically for free down the line.

If you buy it at full price, then that's kinda what you get. That's what I did because I'm a Hitman mark. :p

EDIT: Also, apparently, the Elusive Targets will be available at launch. So the game might be launching with 7/8 missions out of the gate.

Lima

Didn't they say that there is some stuff you can only get by buying the full experience right off the bat? Apart from saving money buying individually I mean.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't they say that there is some stuff you can only get by buying the full experience right off the bat? Apart from saving money buying individually I mean.

I don't think so. The pre-order stuff is available for the full and intro pack.

Foffy

Banned

Nah, there's only a pre-order bonus for the Silverballers (47's default gun in this game is NOT them, but a generic silenced ICA pistol), the Requiem Suit, and a Rubber Ducky Explosive, which is for all versions.

The stuff early adopters other guys are not getting later down the line are Elusive Targets, but I get the feeling someone will hack them to be available forever on PC.

Lima

Nah, there's only a pre-order bonus for the Silverballers (47's default gun in this game is NOT them, but a generic silenced ICA pistol), the Requiem Suit, and a Rubber Ducky Explosive, which is for all versions.

The stuff early adopters other guys are not getting later down the line are Elusive Targets, but I get the feeling someone will hack them to be available forever on PC.

Ah maybe I was thinking about the live targets and the physical edition not getting it.

What exactly is the reason that IO went for a episodic approach with Hitman? I mean with all the other games we had 10+ missions set in all kinds of locations from the start and now we're getting one location and probably get multiple missions there. Unless I am wrong on that I find it unfortunate that they chose to go this way. I rather have it like Blood Money. A game full of awesome missions right from the start, all set in different places, different ways to end your target etc.

Let's say we get multiple missions in that Paris location, plenty of people will explore every nook and cranny the first chance they get. I know I will, how interesting will it be for a second, third, fourth mission to have to kill another target when you have seen the whole level already? Was this SE's decision after seeing the success of Telltale Games and DontNod?

Foffy

Banned
What exactly is the reason that IO went for a episodic approach with Hitman? I mean with all the other games we had 10+ missions set in all kinds of locations from the start and now we're getting one location and probably get multiple missions there. Unless I am wrong on that I find it unfortunate that they chose to go this way. I rather have it like Blood Money. A game full of awesome missions right from the start, all set in different places, different ways to end your target etc.

Let's say we get multiple missions in that Paris location, plenty of people will explore every nook and cranny the first chance they get. I know I will, how interesting will it be for a second, third, fourth mission to have to kill another target when you have seen the whole level already? Was this SE's decision after seeing the success of Telltale Games and DontNod?

Three main reasons.

- IO wanted to get out of the "make a game for three years and move on" model, for this proved problematic for them. Kane & Lynch 2 and Hitman Absolution both launched with questionable ideas that the traditional model didn't allow them to fix. They've claimed the episodic model allows them to tweak it.
- They want their games to be updated well after launch, which feeds into the above.
- Square-Enix wants the Eidos properties to have an online component, hence the "live event" theme to the game. It is also why they now refer to the Hitman universe as a "World of Assassination."

Kssio_Aug

So, I just read somewhere else that the AI, animations and graphics are pretty bad, and the game is full of glitches and doesn't come close to Blood Money and it's not even better than Absolution (which, to be honest, I enjoyed quite a lot).

However, reading this thread am I safe to assume the general consensus is that the game is actually fun to play? Besides, reading more opinioms here it seems it is indeed very glitched.

So, I just read somewhere else that the AI, animations and graphics are pretty bad, and the game doesn't come close to Blood Money and it's not even better than Absolution (which, to be honest, I enjoyed quite a lot).

However, reading this thread am I safe to assume the general consensus is that the game is a solid and fun Hitman game, as opposed to the impressions I just read?
Were the impressions based on the Beta (a build from October), the Paris alpha, or the retail release?

So if I buy the Intro Pack at launch, and then later buy each episode individually, do I still get all the Sarajevo Six contracts?

Cool thanks.

It sounds like the only draw to buying the game upfront is for the monetary discount. I'm fine with that
You need to pre-order (either Intro pack or full season, doesn't matter which) to get the requiem pack. But in terms of differences between pre-ordering just the Intro pack vs pre-ordering the full season, you're right: the only difference is the monetary saving for getting the full season.

damn, why are there so many people to kill
Because it's a World of Assassination™ bro :)

There are 1,600 NPCs in Paris, but only 300 can be used as potential targets for Contracts. I'm curious to see how the Contracts work, I barely touched that feature in Absolution.

Finally got around to playing the beta.

My thoughts- eh... I'm happy I didn't go all in and buy the game.

I'm weird because I'm a fan of the old series but I loved absolution even though it plays very differently than the old series. This one though does not feel like Absolution and I'm kinda miffed at that. Maybe it's just that what they gave us were pretty much glorified tutorial missions but there was way too much hand holding. I also think the disguise mechanic with certain enemies that recognize you while others don't is pretty lame.

The first cutscene when they're walking down the corridor was buggy as shit. Once it came down to the gameplay though, the game ran fine and looks pretty sharp. I only had a few clipping glitches when trying to set a bomb and dragging bodies around desks.

Altogether, not too bad but I'll be happy to just wait and see if I can pick up a final version cheaply in the next couple years. The game does have me interested and I definitely had some fun in the beta but this isn't feeling like a must-play title to me.

KORNdoggy

Finally got around to playing the beta.

My thoughts- eh... I'm happy I didn't go all in and buy the game.

I'm weird because I'm a fan of the old series but I loved absolution even though it plays very differently than the old series. This one though does not feel like Absolution and I'm kinda miffed at that. Maybe it's just that what they gave us were pretty much glorified tutorial missions but there was way too much hand holding. I also think the disguise mechanic with certain enemies that recognize you while others don't is pretty lame.

The first cutscene when they're walking down the corridor was buggy as shit. Once it came down to the gameplay though, the game ran fine and looks pretty sharp. I only had a few clipping glitches when trying to set a bomb and dragging bodies around desks.

Altogether, not too bad but I'll be happy to just wait and see if I can pick up a final version cheaply in the next couple years. The game does have me interested and I definitely had some fun in the beta but this isn't feeling like a must-play title to me.

you'd be the only person i know who wants a new hitman to be MORE like absolution. that game was shit and it's kind of ironic that you mention hand holding when absolution was essentially "hand-holding : the game" and far more limited and linear on top of that. it was basically a hitman game made for people who don't actually like hitman.

the cutscenes in the beta were a bit jerky, but i think it's down to content streaming. it's clearly loading in the next level while you're watching a cut-scene. i'm sure that will be sorted in the latest build though. seems like a pretty easy one to fix. it's not like it was performance related.

I was wondering, I never got the chance to get to Beta as I was busy all weekend, but what are gaffers thinking of the game in respect to buying the whole series of just episode 1 and going from there?
Is there any word if we can buy episode 1 and then the rest of the series in one go if we like it?

Three main reasons.

- IO wanted to get out of the "make a game for three years and move on" model, for this proved problematic for them. Kane & Lynch 2 and Hitman Absolution both launched with questionable ideas that the traditional model didn't allow them to fix. They've claimed the episodic model allows them to tweak it.
- They want their games to be updated well after launch, which feeds into the above.
- Square-Enix wants the Eidos properties to have an online component, hence the "live event" theme to the game. It is also why they now refer to the Hitman universe as a "World of Assassination."

Thanks man. Yeah that makes quite a bit of sense. I'm really curious about the reviews, hope they come soon. They surely should.

I find it funny how the A.I. now reacts to 47 when he does strange things. I saw these technicians standing around and I was one as well. I stood in front of them and I ducked and stood up again, ducked and stood up again etc. And their comments were quite funny, they really reacted to it.

hichanbis

Banned
I was wondering, I never got the chance to get to Beta as I was busy all weekend, but what are gaffers thinking of the game in respect to buying the whole series of just episode 1 and going from there?
Is there any word if we can buy episode 1 and then the rest of the series in one go if we like it?

If you buy episode by episode or intro pack and then upgrade pack you'll just lose 5$ comparatively to the full pack.

On a different topic, a french gamer has shared a let's play of the paris level from a review copy. Not sure I can share the link here but it's easy to find using google.
We can see a lot a new things, like loadout menu, debriefing etc

If you buy episode by episode or intro pack and then upgrade pack you'll just lose 5$ comparatively to the full pack.

On a different topic, a french gamer has shared a let's play of the paris level from a review copy. Not sure I can share the link here but it's easy to find using google.

That's not too bad. I may just do it that way, wait for reviews/impressions of each stage as it goes and then just buy what seems good if I like the first mission.
I know there will be complaints of the game being released this way but it is a good way to bring people back especially after Absolution.

Is the newspaper back? Oh man, please, lol.

Top Bottom