• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

This series was a'ight. It dragged but still held my interest for over 70 episodes, and the last couple episodes were pretty good. Wouldn't say it's one of my top favorites though. Johan was kinda disappointing in the end too.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Monster has an interesting concept but it gets quite boring and silly in places.

If they kept the premise and totally did away with most of the plot i'd be up for it.

It would be such a stupid idea to set the show within America.
Düsseldorf still has alot of old city parts that could work so damn well.

This being set anywhere else than Germany will tell us that we don't need to watch this.

I expect gender and ethnicity swaps, but changing the location means your basically telling me a story that is inspired by Naoki's vision rather than taking from it.

And I want you to take from it! I want to experience what the book lovers see when their worlds come to life. We kinda get that with manga-> anime

But manga-> anime-> high quality live action will be beautiful if done right!

Pennywise

This being set anywhere else than Germany will tell us that we don't need to watch this.

I expect gender and ethnicity swaps, but changing the location means your basically telling me a story that is inspired by Naoki's vision rather than taking from it.

And I want you to take from it! I want to experience what the book lovers see when their worlds come to life. We kinda get that with manga-> anime

But manga-> anime-> high quality live action will be beautiful if done right!

True.
The entire story is cut out to work in Germany because it's based on alot historical references and facts.
It wouldn't be the same without "DIEEEEEEEEETER DIETER DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETER".

Articalys

A very brief update, from some discussions with Del Toro at the Los Angeles Times Hero Complex Festival on Saturday. Collider reports:
On Monster, Del Toro said that he just submitted the pilot script to HBO last week and that they’re reading it right now. He revealed his version is very respectful of Urasawa’s manga. Del Toro gained permission from Urasawa to adapt his work, only if he submitted to the author an outline for each episode of the theoretical first season. Del Toro was quick to chime that the series would have a short shelf life – as it will strictly follow the manga’s 18 volumes, nothing added to increase seasons or episode count.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Am I the only one who got really irritated by monster anime/manga? Just felt stupid trying to be a realistic conspiracy type thing but just didnt seem plausible at all. Pissed me off. Wasnt clever.

Death Note was so much better.

Sorry for the necro-bump, dudes. I hate being that dude with no new news.

Anyway, I was just thinking how the massive success of True Detective should have seen this project getting some fucking steam behind it since this similar in genre and tone. I guess being HBO though, they might feel that TD is already covering that territory for them now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell, Sculli?! Ban him!

It's possible that this might get in the backburner because of TD, but I don't think they'd want to risk losing Del Toro, right?

Necrovex

Sorry for the necro-bump, dudes. I hate being that dude with no new news.

Anyway, I was just thinking how the massive success of True Detective should have seen this project getting some fucking steam behind it since this similar in genre and tone. I guess being HBO though, they might feel that TD is already covering that territory for them now.

If there was something of true note regarding this adaptation, a new thread would appear. So I was at least not disappointed by your bump.

Anyway, I agree with you, to a point. True Detective should show the HBO executives that Monster could be a cash cow if done properly. I fully believe that Monster is a far more interesting beast than what we have seen with True Detective.

But this is HBO, and they are weird as hell with their television, so your point about Monster being placed on the back burner, due to TD scratching a similar itch, may hold true. And I shall cry if that happens.

If there was something of true note regarding this adaptation, a new thread would appear. So I was at least not disappointed by your bump.

Anyway, I agree with you, to a point. True Detective should show the HBO executives that Monster could be a cash cow if done properly. I fully believe that Monster is a far more interesting beast than what we have seen with True Detective.

But this is HBO, and they are weird as hell with their television, so your point about Monster being placed on the back burner, due to TD scratching a similar itch, may hold true. And I shall cry if that happens.

It could be the True Detective: Europe. Only it's not an anthology. Because the locations make up so much of what was interesting in Monster.

Well it would be a little different than TD.
Tenma already knows who the killer is the entire time. Even though Monster is one of my favorite properties, TD was really good. Hoping season 2 is good.

mackaveli

Lol I was just researching monster and googling to see if any news.

Anyways I hope they go forward with this show and the pilot gets filmed soon. Loved the anime.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
How have I not seen this thread before?!
i0FlLXrblVY7Y.GIF

wildfire

Banned
Well, Tenma certainly isn't going to be Asian. We can't have Asian leads in big-time TV shows.

[cynical]Unless he's chinese to appeal to the up and coming foreign market.[/cynical]

I hope this year old story is still true. Monster was a little rough with some the more stand alone style episodes and the whole
nazi angle
can be very jarring but it was still a great story. I've been thinking about how I would adopt it since the first time I saw it.

Reversed

You know, you could have made a different thread that linked the old thread. :/

I guess the project is pretty much dead since there are no new announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom