• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy SHIT. Guillermo Del Toro is collaborating with HBO on MONSTER manga adaptation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Monster, I really do. One of my favorite Anime.

But I don't know if I want an adaptation about
A kid that is very evil and bad and we should fear him.

I dunno, seems a silly idea in the long run for a live action drama

B.K.

I watched part of the anime when it was on SciFi Channel years ago. I should finish it and read the manga, someday. Does the story completely fall apart at the end, like Pluto and 20th/21st Century Boys?

Necrovex

I watched part of the anime when it was on SciFi Channel years ago. I should finish it and read the manga, someday. Does the story completely fall apart at the end, like Pluto and 20th/21st Century Boys?

The show is solid to the very end, some people hate the last page or two in the manga. But I loved the material in its entirety.

Exis

This like Justice League Dark will prolly get added to the number of projects he is assigned to and never completes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Here's what I predict will happen. One year from now, someone will bump this thread asking what happened to the project. A few people will reply with "AWESOME!" thinking it's a new thread. Then someone will go "jeez why did you do that?" in reply to the bump. And that's the last we'll hear about it again.

Is this what you think will happen or what you hope happens?

wonzo

Banned
Nah, Monster doesn't fall in on itself thanks to the weight of it's own bullshit much like 20th Century Boys did.

mantidor

can someone summarize why i should be excited about this? i think the anime is on netflix but i've never watched.

Just watch it, if the first episodes or volumes don't hook you I don't what's wrong with you :p

No but really, the start sets the mood perfectly, if you are not into it from that first taste then its not for you.

Servbot24

Banned
You know I've always imagined an Americanized live action version of Death Note, and as ill-conceived as that idea most likely is, deep down I want this show to be a raging success so it could happen. :p

Replicant

But I don't know if I want an adaptation about
A kid that is very evil and bad and we should fear him.

I dunno, seems a silly idea in the long run for a live action drama

If "The Following" can get away with its laughable premise and shit execution and still gains high ratings, I don't see why a better executed plot like "Monster" can't do the same.

You know I've always imagined an Americanized live action version of Death Note, and as ill-conceived as that idea most likely is, deep down I want this show to be a raging success so it could happen. :p
It's been years since a show's been on that had the entire country waiting in suspense for the next week's episode (I'd say the early seasons of "Lost" qualify, and that's it for this millennium).

I think Death Note, if handled correctly, could be that iconic moment in television history. Hopefully WB cans the film version that's currently in production hell so that a competent showrunner can adapt it to a TV series.

On topic: My pick for Tenma!

sulu.jpg

Were this being developed for a network and not HBO, I wouldn't give this news the time of day. But fuck me this has the potential to be amazing.

It's been years since a show's been on that had the entire country waiting in suspense for the next week's episode (I'd say the early seasons of "Lost" qualify, and that's it for this millennium).

I think Death Note, if handled correctly, could be that iconic moment in television history. Hopefully WB cans the film version that's currently in production hell so that a competent showrunner can adapt it to a TV series.

On topic: My pick for Tenma!

sulu.jpg

I remember Shane Black was interested in making Death Note.

Sorry,dude. I am interested in mature thrillers rooted in reality. Stuff that doesn't have to much supernatural crap. Trying to get into manga makes my head spin.

Monster is not rooted in reality at all if you bother studying any psychology at all from the past few decades.

It is actually really really bad psychology. It might as well be supernatural crap.

Mumei

Monster is not rooted in reality at all if you bother studying any psychology at all from the past few decades.

It is actually really really bad psychology. It might as well be supernatural crap.

It's true. I mean, it is at least internally consistent with it but still it [important character development and motivational stuff] still really makes no sense in any real world context.

RedSwirl

Valkyrie is a fucking terrible example because they all speak British in the film, while Cruise is speaking in an American accent.

Schindler's List is a better example. Everybody is speaking in a German or Polish accent.

But in that case wouldn't the Valkyrie angle work since the main character is a foreigner?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I need to get around to reading that Manga. :/

White-washed (because you know it's going to happen)

Does Del Toro really white-wash? AFAIK he doesn't and I doubt HBO would do that?

Sounds cool?

Personally the only Monster I am excited about with Del Toro is Pacific Rim. Since he seems ready to do follow up films, as long as this doesn't delay it I am happy. I'm anticipating Pacific Rim to be really awesome, so I want them already working on the next ones.

You know what I hope comes out of this ? More adaptations of japanese manga and anime. It fucking needs to happen. Screw the Cowboy Bebop movie; bring it to HBO !

Linkhero1

Yeah. I had no problem with the bullshit magical psychology, but I find it funny that someone said they only wanted recommendations for shows grounded in reality.
Yeah. I definitely wouldn't put it in that category. I guess for some people, they'd like to believe that some of the occurrences in the anime are possible in real life lol

Qvoth

so... SAO in HBO within 10 years?
lol
i really liked 20th century boys, billy bat's pretty good too, never got into monster though..
maybe i should check it out these days

totowhoa

Banned
So I've never seen Monster, guys. Is out there on a legal streaming service? Just checked Netflix and no dice (wasn't surprised). Nor did I see it on crunchyroll. :(

HOLY FUCK
I am literally half-way through Monster right now! This is amazing!

Here's what I predict will happen. One year from now, someone will bump this thread asking what happened to the project. A few people will reply with "AWESOME!" thinking it's a new thread. Then someone will go "jeez why did you do that?" in reply to the bump. And that's the last we'll hear about it again.

I apologize in advance.

FootballFan

Is BleedingCool a reliable source? Because I read an article from just today about Shane Black being involved in an upcoming project.

According to an interview with BleedingCool he said:
"Right now I’ve got this thing at Warner Bros. called Death Note that I like a lot. It’s a Japanese Manga that’s very tense and really cool."

Is BleedingCool a reliable source? Because I read an article from just today about Shane Black being involved in an upcoming project.

According to an interview with BleedingCool he said:
"Right now I’ve got this thing at Warner Bros. called Death Note that I like a lot. It’s a Japanese Manga that’s very tense and really cool."

There's a panel he did where he was talking about it. But the studio wanted to change all the elements about it that made it Death Note.

jerry113

Banned
If they completely whitewash Tenma then that automatically changes a lot of his interactions with other characters and
his difficulties in hiding as a fugitive

They could probably get away with a mixed race Tenma, though. And that wouldn't be too bad either considering the rarity of hapa characters in media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom