• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hooters-style restaurants seeing business growth in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

How the fuck do you have a restaurant called Twin Peaks and not have it styled after the Double R Diner, or have it Twin Peaks themed in general

HUGE missed opportunity

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
How the fuck do you have a restaurant called Twin Peaks and not have it styled after the Double R Diner, or have it Twin Peaks themed in general

HUGE missed opportunity

"Come eat at my new eatery: Twin Peaks!"
"Holy shit, ya'll got some big ol tiddies!!!!?!?!?!?"
"Even better my friend, we have a little person who talks funny and a really strong one eyed lady. Plus some asshole rides a motorcycle past every once in a while."
"Oh.... I guess you didn't miss an opportunity."

Zekes!

"Even better my friend, we have a little person who talks funny and a really strong one eyed lady. Plus some asshole rides a motorcycle past every once in a while."

Man I'd go, and you know their pie would be amazing

lush

tumblr_m3onvvY7go1qb5s8vo1_250.gif

How is that "crying?" Why is when anyone criticizes anything, they're a fucking "hater" or they're "crying?" Is it because it's an easy cop-out of a defense that just can be applied to almost anyone opposing anything?
Such a white knight.

Don't see the appeal. It's not like you've got a legitinate shot at asking them out, and this only creates situations like FortunateSon's. You barely talk to waitresses at a restaurant too.

Izick

Well touche, sir.

No, because that wasn't even criticizing anything. It's just making a blanket statement with no reasoning behind it.

Obviously, they think these kinds of places demean women and pander to a market of drooling idiots who need to be injected with tits, sports, and food at all times to suck extra money out of them.

Personally, like I said before, I think the women are the smart ones here, because they're playing these idiots for more money just by wearing a tight shirt and pretending to listen to their boring, meaningless stories and attempts to try and seduce them.

Such a white knight.

Don't see the appeal. It's not like you've got a legitinate shot at asking them out, and this only creates situations like FortunateSon's. You barely talk to waitresses at a restaurant too.

White knighting? Yikes. I'm just trying to dissolve bullshit replies like "haters" and trying and using phrases to demean other people because they disagree with their opinion. It's a step away from calling someone "noob" basically.

I went to a Tilted Kilt just a few weeks ago. It didn't feel nearly as pathetic and dirty as a Hooters. It actually was a really nice sports bar/restaurant. I would definitely go back, even if the waitresses weren't dressed so provocatively.

Doomsayer

Obviously, they think these kinds of places demean women and pander to a market of drooling idiots who need to be injected with tits, sports, and food at all times to suck extra money out of them.

Personally, like I said before, I think the women are the smart ones here, because they're playing these idiots for more money just by wearing a tight shirt and pretending to listen to their boring, meaningless stories and attempts to try and seduce them.

That whole reasoning is flawed, it isn't like the managers of these places are forcing women to work for them. They know what they are getting into during the interview process. So how is it demeaning again?

I like beer, sports, and tits... does that make me a drooling idiot? It's so easy to generalize but more often than not generalizations are false.

KevinCow

Banned
Fucking cavemen.

Grrr, those horrible men, they like to go to places where they'll be served by attractive women. What jerks.

Grrr, those poor girls being objectified at a job they could quit any time and getting great tips just because they're attractive.

Seriously, have you guys bitching about these places ever actually been to one? Or are you just stereotyping the places and the people who go to them based on ignorant assumptions? They're just regular sports bar & grill type places, except the girls happen to be showing a bit more skin. I've even seen guys there with their wives and girlfriends.

I used to have the same prudish attitude when I was little, used to see Hooters as crude and place it in the same category as strip clubs. Then I went to one with my dad and was like, oh. It's nowhere near a strip club. It's just friendly and attractive girls serving food. And most people pay only a little more attention to the chicks than they would their servers at a typical restaurant. Contrary to what you might like to believe, nobody's acting like the wolf from Droopy.

Also, I will say from experience: Great place for a teenager to learn how to talk to attractive girls without staring at their boobs.

Izick

That whole reasoning is flawed, it isn't like the managers of these places are forcing women to work for them. They know what they are getting into during the interview process. So how is it demeaning again?

I like beer, sports, and tits... does that make me a drooling idiot? It's so easy to generalize but more often than not generalizations are false.

When did I say it was demeaning?

The heads of these companies smashed these things together because they knew that they could sell it to a certain market. In this, the waitresses know that the people in this market can easily be tricked, and let go of their money if they receive any sort of attention, especially attention that seems sexually stimulating, from them. Hence the low cut shirts, and the waitresses having huge breasts. It's smart business.

Doomsayer

When did I say it was demeaning?

The heads of these companies smashed these things together because they knew that they could sell it to a certain market. In this, the waitresses know that the people in this market can easily be tricked, and let go of their money if they receive any sort of attention, especially attention that seems sexually stimulating, from them. Hence the low cut shirts, and the waitresses having huge breasts. It's smart business.

I agree, it's a damn smart business.

So smart I may have to start one myself!

Grrr, those horrible men, they like to go to places where they'll be served by attractive women. What jerks.

Grrr, those poor girls being objectified at a job they could quit any time and getting great tips just because they're attractive.

Seriously, have you guys bitching about these places ever actually been to one? Or are you just stereotyping the places and the people who go to them based on ignorant assumptions? They're just regular sports bar & grill type places, except the girls happen to be showing a bit more skin. I've even seen guys there with their wives and girlfriends.

I used to have the same prudish attitude when I was little, used to see Hooters as crude and place it in the same category as strip clubs. Then I went to one with my dad and was like, oh. It's nowhere near a strip club. It's just friendly and attractive girls serving food. And most people pay only a little more attention to the chicks than they would their servers at a typical restaurant. Contrary to what you might like to believe, nobody's acting like the wolf from Droopy.

Also, I will say from experience: Great place for a teenager to learn how to talk to attractive girls without staring at their boobs.

I like you.

jorma

is now taking requests
So, how much money does a "hooters" style waitress earn compared to a "regular" waitress?

Hylian7

A new pizza place opened up where I live. My girlfriend and I decided to go try it one day. It turned out to be a Hooters-style restaurant, and the food was really shitty. Neither of us plan on ever going back.

Lesson to these restaurants: The food has to be good too, you know!

Izick

I mean look at the customers in those photos. Most are fat, older men. These restaurants know who they're appealing to, and they know what works. Same with the waitresses. They "flirt" with these type of people, and they are going to get much more money than a usual job.

A new pizza place opened up where I live. My girlfriend and I decided to go try it one day. It turned out to be a Hooters-style restaurant, and the food was really shitty. Neither of us plan on ever going back.

Lesson to these restaurants: The food has to be good too, you know!
But what was the name and theme!?

Hylian7

But what was the name and theme!?

Jaidyn's, and the sign had a pizza in the background. Other than that there was no theme. It replaced this old local burger joint, which now I want back.

Oh, and the food made my girlfriend sick too. I thought pizza was nearly impossible to screw up.

akira28

the girls in the commercial are so gross looking

they just opened one here so i see it all the time now

somehow i doubt their food is any good

They're gross? I mean it's one thing to have higher than normal standards. It's another thing to take the social stigma against scantily dressed women, or even worse, enjoying scantily dressed women to be gross or coarse or vulgar or disgusting or offensive.

I'll never understand why people take it to that level. And I hear women do it all the time too. Maybe it makes them uncomfortable. Ok, thats fine. But why 'gross'? And these days gross generally means disgusting or nasty, not merely distasteful or vulgar.

cashman

Banned
I have a friend that works at twin peaks. She's actually a pretty smart girl with a stable home life and
small breasts

jadedm17

I've never stepped foot in one of these restaurants because I have serious problems with the culture it promotes. Hooters, included. I feel the same way about strip clubs. I don't see the point in doling out money for overpriced food and scantily dressed single moms.

Honestly they make a killing doing it so good for them. While I've honestly never seen the appeal* I can't fault them for using their good looks to make tons of cash. To a lesser extent I do the same serving tables - while a lot of people I geniunely enjoy, I flirt it up to old ladies or gay it up for gay guys for a better tip. Its a win on both sides.

*Truth be told I did go to a place called Brick Bar here in Buffalo. We sat by a fire on a big couch-like booth in a very rustic looking setting while being waited on by a beautiful woman. The atmosphere - as opposed to the one Hooters offers - was what made it an the whole experience was enjoyable.

Tobe

im a bigger fan of the naked coffee shops in socal :p and yes those ladies arent really THAT attractive nor the outfits are good looking.

Forkball

The economy is bad, which leaves many men out of work, which means women don't want a jobless boyfriend, which means guys have to get their jollies elsewhere, so these restaurants flourish. I cracked the code!

Salmonax

I was talked into eating at Hooters once. I think the outfits are strangely unflattering, and I I didn't find the transparently disingenuous sales approach appealing. I'm all for attractive servers at bars and restaurants, but they don't have to pretend to be my best friend. In tone, it's very similar to a strip club in that regard. Of course, I get it - I know guys who eat that kind of treatment up. But I can't overlook the artifice in either scenario.

The constant upselling was also annoying. The food was adequate, I guess, but it was a weak experience all around.

Man some people in this thread seem genuinely pissed that places like these exist. I don't see why. The girls make tons of money, just like men do at establishments like this that are geared towards ladies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
One step forward and two steps back

Pretty sure it would be just one step forward. These shops have been around for a long time. At most I'll give you one step back and one step forward. We're exactly where we were earlier, except a long repressed group of women are finally able to compete in a world wide event...

Fuck it, that's two steps forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom