• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

NateDrake

I'm still confused as to what this game actually is. Is it Monster Hunter Future? Or is there actually a story and mission structure in place?

the delay makes sense. Sony seems to have no problem launching their big, AAA tentpole titles early in the year and leaving the fall for third parties. Worked fine for Bloodborne and UC4 (not so much for The Order)

Unknown?

Does The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, and GT Sport not count for some reason? There's so many other games releasing during the holidays this year. Why would they launch more than 5 of their own retail games in that time period?

TLG, GT Sport, GR 1&2, Hot Shots Golf, Uncharted 4, MLB 16 off the top of my head. This year has great first party support, with tons of 3rd party exclusives.

Tigress

Oh fuck you're right. It really does seem to be a kind of "chosen one/special one" plot. I was really hoping that Aloy was just highly motivated member of a tribe, maybe a bit ahead of the curve and wanted to find out what happened and then maybe went too far to turn back and has to see the whole thing through. Please don't conclude in Aloy being the brainchild of scientist that would bring prosperity to the world.

I'd also prefer it not be a chosen one scenario but honestly, I'm ok with it if it is. But it does seem like the story got changed between initial announcement in now cause I got the impression at first was about some tribal girl having to go out from the tribe for whatever reason to save it (or at least they didn't give off any impression that it was a "your character is different/special" in the first trailer. In fact they gave off a, "This is what you do to survive and something happens to make you go out further in the world" kinda vibe in the initial trailer).

Anyways, it still looks interesting/intriguing to me. I just agree that it would have been interesting to not be "The chosen one" or rather have hte story revolve around the world rather than the story revolve around the character.

Gurish

Dialogue is a little off. Most of it sounds very trailery. A little uneven that seems to be trying to match the trailer, but it seems like it'll be odd in game. I'm hoping it sounds better in game.

Visually it looks amazing. A little bit of pop in/out. I can't imagine this being "PS4K" version, don't see any reason why it would be.

After Uncharted 4 I do believe it's entirely possible on PS4, we saw how amazing and huge environments ND can make, no reason why this game won't look as good as well.

Maybe before U4 I was more skeptic ;)

Hopefully they will take ND's amazing AA solution as well.

VanWinkle

I'm still confused as to what this game actually is. Is it Monster Hunter Future? Or is there actually a story and mission structure in place?

I'm kind of surprised you're confused. It's always been touted as having a story and mission structure. It's an open world action RPG. Even the demo they showed when they first showed off the game demonstrated that there's some kind of narrative and mission structure there.

Loudninja

Norris: So there are obviously things that will have objectives and objective markers inside of the game, and another thing that we mentioned during the demo here is the exploration element. We want to drive exploration through having pick-ups that you'll find throughout the world that you can craft with or replenish your health. So, there will be reasons for you to explore this open world that are meta-game related, but there are also quests and a quest system in place that will deliver that story and give you specific places to go.
de Jonge: These robots do roam around, and you can get into that situation, but the player would have to be at a high level to fight these, and have the right tools.

Norris: And you might run into that Thunderjaw at level six and that would be a bad time for you. [laughs] There are of course moments inside of the quests in which you'll have more scripted encounters. But 90 percent of this game takes place in the open world where you're running around and doing things. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, well...
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...itter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&PostPageIndex=1

Well the game still has to be good.

Well yeah lol.

viHuGi

Banned
Talking about the trailer man...

The plot looks amazing, the graphics are from another world (Ps4 Neo footage), it even looks better than Uncharted 4, how does a game looks better than Uncharted 4? HOW? Open World? How?

I love the dinosaurs or robots doesn't matter i just love this setting and this game is going to be amazing if they deliver!

That voiceover is sounds poor. Especially coming off of Uncharted 4. The game itself looks neat tho. Looking forward to it.

the delay makes sense. Sony seems to have no problem launching their big, AAA tentpole titles early in the year and leaving the fall for third parties. Worked fine for Bloodborne and UC4 (not so much for The Order)
Fine strategy IMO.

Tankard

They couldn't have announced a delay at a more perfect time, with a gorgeous trailer, before E3 that will have more gorgeous gameplay and on a day with multiple announcements/reveals to also take the attention away.

Schrade

I am fucking buying that Collector's Edition. I really hope the statue has good paint job/detail.

Fucking hell that trailer pulled me in. the voice acting needs some work though.

Guerilla's visuals are always so damn good. I am sure they can fix the little visual glitches. At least it lets you know it's in game :)

Unknown?

After Uncharted 4 I do believe it's entirely possible on PS4, we saw how amazing and huge environments ND can make, no reason why this game won't look as good as well.

Maybe before U4 I was more skeptic ;)

Hopefully they will take ND's amazing AA solution as well.

It doesn't look much better than their KZ engine. It looks like an evolution of what they already have and they have full access to ND/ICE team tech. This is not Neo footage.

Akiraptor

Damn, was 99% sure the delay was coming but it still hurts because it's one of the few PS4 games I'm hugely excited for. Oh well, hopefully this means it'll turn out even better on release day.

platocplx

this makes a lot of sense actually. 3rd parties win the fall, sony wins the spring. always something to play nearly year round.

Loudninja

I love how much variation in the environments there seems to be
The gigantic, verdant landscape you see in the demo isn't just for show - as in Skyrim, every distant mountaintop, far-off forest, or apartment-complex-turned-waterfall is an actual area you can visit as you trek through the virtual wilderness. Better yet, Horizon: Zero Dawn does away with any load times, so your journey will be entirely seamless.

Each cyber-species can roam freely throughout the environment, with the capacity to react to each other even if Aloy's not directly involved. Guerilla Games has stated that the goal is to design the robotic wildlife in such a way that leads to memorable moments without the need for scripted vignettes. To help the player understand how these creatures are interacting with one another, the bright lights that function as their eyes are color-coded. Blue means they're just going about their instinctual business, yellow indicates that something has startled them, and red means they're either fleeing in fear or aggressively charging at their prey.
http://www.gamesradar.com/horizon-zero-dawn-review/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

cheezcake

How is the plot terrible?

The girl is an outcast in a post apocalyptic tribe, raised by a warrior of the elders. She seems to be on a continuous journey to find the purpose of her existence and the place of her birth.

The dissonance between the super serious tone and the fact that the game is about robot dinosaurs. Couple that with the bad dialogue and VA, makes it seem like the narrative won't be one to remember

But I have to say... I'm hating the dramatics on that trailer.

I wish it was more like Monster Hunter, light on the story, and heavy on the gameplay.

If this is a random 15 hours game I'm gonna cry.

Top Bottom