• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

The thing I love about GG is their art style and ability to make concept work transgress smoothly into a actual game

we can have a very graphically intense game but without a nice art style there is no point

I mean these robo dinos and robo animals could've really looked ugly or generic but GG just knows how to make something artistically beautiful

Shin-Ra

Extra carefully decorated for cutscene/trailer closeup maybe but this rock face looks really nice.

HZDclimb.gif

Reasonably subtle switch to max-res shadow cascade too.

Still pretty amazed how they moved from working exclusively on Killzone since early 2000s to making an adventure game like this.

The great thing is they haven't showed any signs yet they've had difficulty moving over yet. Really impressed by GG here.

The comparisons to other great looking games are expected but what sets this (and Uncharted 4) apart and makes your jaw drop is the amazing animation and lively look to the worlds.

edit: Half of the people in this thread should be ashamed (and/or banned).

You guys aren't even PS4 owners, but can really live with yourselves coming into a thread for a great looking game and trying to justify why it fucking sucks already?

...sheesh.

cheezcake

What kind of criticism was that, though. If we actually limit videogame concepts to things that made sense, we wouldn't have half the games we love. A fox in space? A plumber jumping and eating mushrooms to grow up? Echo-location using fungi-man? (Tlou). Please...

Yeh I agree with you absolutely that we don't want to limit what sorts of things we tell, but I don't think that was the criticism. The criticism I think most people have is that the game revolves around combining what is essentially a pretty silly concept with a very serious tone. Starfox and Mario don't have that problem. TLOU is an example of fantastic execution IMO, they had a fantastically creative art team design their zombie equivalents which really made it stand out versus regular old zombies, and I don't think many people will disagree with me when I say the script + dialogue in TLOU is top notch by video game standards, and even pretty damn good by general standards.

That trailer can't possibly tell you want you want to know and frankly the devs won't want it to. The mystery is part of the fascination but for some people, for some reason, it's a concern. That's the whole point of this trailer and ANY trailer. I'm quite happy to agree with some of the dialogue concerns because we've actually got some of that dialogue here, but everything else is simply a wait and see situation.

This is fair, I'll say I think it's a bad trailer in that it probably lessened my enthusiasm compared to the demos we got last year, but I'm still probably going to buy the game.

Did you read the post I was replying to?

It basically said that mixing high & low tech elements together was a dumb idea that doesn't work.

I think that displays a lack of imagination. It implies that there are rules as to what you can and can't bring to the party in SF storytelling (hint: there aren't).

I thought his critique was more about the general childishness of the idea of robot dinosaurs, not helped by how the internet made it into a really silly meme, and pairing that with the serious tone makes the suspension of disbelief element difficult. I think saying that the criticism was actually about mixing high and low tech elements is an unfair generalisation.

It's almost like we don't have a super serious game about a fungus that turns people into zombies...

Oh I mean *not zombies*
they're totally zombies

But like I said in my post, it's not like games with those elements are automatically bad, TLOU is a prime example of really good execution of a done to death concept. This trailer just doesn't give a sense of the originality or quality that TLOU had which made it different to the other bazillion zombie IP's that exist.

jjgzee

Banned
Story seems interesting, but the dialogue in this trailer was a little flat. Last year's trailer was on point. Idk if it's the voice acting or the script.

Other than that minor gripe, the game looks fantastic. I think it'll be a real gem.

But like I said in my post, it's not like games with those elements are automatically bad, TLOU is a prime example of really good execution of a done to death concept. This trailer just doesn't give a sense of the originality or quality that TLOU had which made it different to the other bazillion zombie IP's that exist.

I was just joking fam, I know it's just "dinobots" on the face of it, it is kind of funny, I used to love Dino Riders back in the day :)

Will be fun to see what they do with the concept though!

Narration and dialogue were laughably awful, something I'd expect to hear in a Uwe Boll movie.. Thought GG had hired a decent writer this time round.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Narration and dialogue were laughably awful, something I'd expect to hear in a Uwe Boll movie.. Thought GG had hired a decent writer this time round.

I'm hoping -- and I think this is the case -- that the dialogue for the girl was just exposition in order to give us a couple of mysteries to mull over and it's not there in the final game. The voice over is likely only for this trailer. The question is: was this trailer directed by Sony or Guerilla games? Hopefully it's Sony and is not an indication of the quality of the writing in the game.

This looks fantastic! In for sure. Getting some Enslaved vibes!!! Loved the gameplay at previous E3's but this has pushed it over the edge now!

Where are the bazillion of post-apocalyptic robot-dinosaur games out there? How is this concept 'childish' or 'done-to-death'? Can you at the very least go into detail in your critique?

I thought people were complaining about dialogue, because we already knew the game was about post-apocalyptic robot-dinosaurs, and there is no reason anyone should be shocked or upset at the concept almost a year after its reveal.

I'm hoping -- and I think this is the case -- that the dialogue for the girl was just exposition in order to give us a couple of mysteries to mull over and it's not there in the final game. The voice over is likely only for this trailer. The question is: was this trailer directed by Sony or Guerilla games? Hopefully it's Sony and is not an indication of the quality of the writing in the game.
I actually thought last years voice-over was great. They should make up a new-language word for outcast in the game, so its not repeated by every human you encounter. That would make it a lot more bearable in my mind.
Both of your points here go back to what I said - a lack of imagination.

Being able to uncouple what's in front of you from the cultural baggage you carry and take it as presented, to bring as blank a slate as possible so that concepts like childishness & seriousness don't apply - that takes imagination.
Agreed.

gamerMan

Aside from the weak character models and stiff facial animation, I would say that this is up there with Uncharted 4. I love some of the sweeping shots that overlook the picturesque landscapes.

kyser73

Yeh I agree with you absolutely that we don't want to limit what sorts of things we tell, but I don't think that was the criticism. The criticism I think most people have is that the game revolves around combining what is essentially a pretty silly concept with a very serious tone. Starfox and Mario don't have that problem. TLOU is an example of fantastic execution IMO, they had a fantastically creative art team design their zombie equivalents which really made it stand out versus regular old zombies, and I don't think many people will disagree with me when I say the script + dialogue in TLOU is top notch by video game standards, and even pretty damn good by general standards.

I thought his critique was more about the general childishness of the idea of robot dinosaurs, not helped by how the internet made it into a really silly meme, and pairing that with the serious tone makes the suspension of disbelief element difficult. I think saying that the criticism was actually about mixing high and low tech elements is an unfair generalisation.

Being able to uncouple what's in front of you from the cultural baggage you carry and take it as presented, to bring as blank a slate as possible so that concepts like childishness & seriousness don't apply - that takes imagination.

I mean shit, when I read the book Debateable Space I had to accept a universe presented through the eyes of a sociopathic narcissist who endlessly joked about the torture & murder of millions. It's a great story but one that is both 'childish' and 'serious' at the same time.

Skux

The most eye-rollingly lame thing that could happen is that if Aloy ends up as a symbolic name for "alloy" and it's revealed that she's some kind of cyborg hybrid that's destined to unite the humans and robots.

It would be as on-the-nose as John Connor from the Terminator movies being the saviour of the world and his initials just "happen" to be J.C.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Where are the bazillion of post-apocalyptic robot-dinosaur games out there? How is this concept 'childish' or 'done-to-death'? Can you at the very least go into detail in your critique?

I thought people were complaining about dialogue, because we already knew the game was about post-apocalyptic robot-dinosaurs, and there is no reason anyone should be shocked or upset at the concept almost a year after its reveal.

I actually thought last years voice-over was great. They should make up a new-language word for outcast in the game, so its not repeated by every human you encounter. That would make it a lot more bearable in my mind.

What we need is a scene to show the acting off like ND always do. Scripts one thing but getting actors to commit wholeheartedly is something very few games manage to pull off. I always get the impression the actors are just there for the money, like in Jaws 2.

cheezcake

I mean shit, when I read the book Debateable Space I had to accept a universe presented through the eyes of a sociopathic narcissist who endlessly joked about the torture & murder of millions. It's a great story but one that is both 'childish' and 'serious' at the same time.

Fair points, but this goes back to the part about good execution, and the trailer definitely doesn't make it seem like there's anything particularly good about the execution of the narrative so far.

What we need is a scene to show the acting off like ND always do. Scripts one thing but getting actors to commit wholeheartedly is something very few games manage to pull off. I always get the impression the actors are just there for the money, like in Jaws 2.
Yes! That is the fault here, not suspension of disbelief or that the concept is childish (C'mon, really?), but that the actors aren't committing. They need to effectively become the character, like Nolan North or Troy Baker would when they read their dialogue. It seems like their phoning it in.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Fair points, but this goes back to the part about good execution, and the trailer definitely doesn't make it seem like there's anything particularly good about the execution of the narrative so far.

But that would require them to show several linked scenes and would give us far too much of the narrative. A narrative is a sequence of linked events that move the story forward, broaden the story, deepen our understanding of the characters or show how those events change the characters. All they can do is give us teases and show us the quality of cloth the narrative is woven from. I don't want to know more. I didn't want to know more about NMS either.

Is there another website where this trailer is being hosted because what I watched on YouTube looks nowhere near as nice as some of the screens or gifs in here

crimilde

Banned
Trailer is drop down gorgeous. I'm not disappointed by the delay, they should take their time and polish it.
As for the VO, I remember people complaining when the first trailer came out that Aloy talks too much and that wasn't actually part of the game, we later found out. So I'm not too concerned about this trailer. I love postapocalyptic stories and I'll reserve my judgement for when the game's out.

Another point, I remember that after the reveal Guerrilla insisted that the Thundermaw is not actually a dino? I don't remember if they said what it's actually supposed to be though. From what I see it's a whole robotic ecosystem and again, we have no idea how those robots got to have those shapes and behaviour in the first place. Were they built like that? Did they evolve? Did the humans try to replace a failing wildlife ecosystem with them close to when the world ended?

I am very excited for the story! So many questions.

Jombie

Looks promising, but I think I'd hold off on buying that collector's edition until we know whether it's good or not.

Compare a "AAA" title from a consoles first year to a "AAA" from a consoles last year.

This happens EVERY time.. 😒

Yup, but what doesn't happen every time is that a new much more powerful SKU is launched at the very same time a new showpiece-game is released...

So, excuse me for being a liiiittle bit sceptical about this being a vanilla PS4 game. Because if it is, what's the point of upgrading to a PS4 Neo?

For those who don't get it, no matter how this turns out, this is a compliment towards GG.

Femto.

Wow, the box art is really good.

I'll be picking this up the summer after release. Senior year of university is my priority. Game looks great, excited to see more gameplay next week.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The person who thought that combining Dino Riders with Transformers set in a post-apocalyptic world deserves a Nobel prize or something.

Yup, but what doesn't happen every time is that a new much more powerful SKU is launched at the very same time a new showpiece-game is released...

So, excuse me for being a liiiittle bit sceptical about this being a vanilla PS4 game. Because if it is, what's the point of upgrading to a PS4 Neo?

For those who don't get it, no matter how this turns out, this is a compliment towards GG.

I am almost sure the game that will be a showcase for PS4 Neo power is GOW4 (I even think that the new console was made for it to meet its tremendous needs).

We will probably see comparisons between games on original PS4 and PS4 Neo at E3. Horizon will be probably one of them and I suppose that you will be even more impressed than now.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Trailer is drop down gorgeous. I'm not disappointed by the delay, they should take their time and polish it.
As for the VO, I remember people complaining when the first trailer came out that Aloy talks too much and that wasn't actually part of the game, we later found out. So I'm not too concerned about this trailer. I love postapocalyptic stories and I'll reserve my judgement for when the game's out.

Another point, I remember that after the reveal Guerrilla insisted that the Thundermaw is not actually a dino? I don't remember if they said what it's actually supposed to be though. From what I see it's a whole robotic ecosystem and again, we have no idea how those robots got to have those shapes and behaviour in the first place. Were they built like that? Did they evolve? Did the humans try to replace a failing wildlife ecosystem with them close to when the world ended?

I am very excited for the story! So many questions.

Yep, there's lot's of possibilities. What I find intriguing is the hunting. We've always hunted animals for food and clothing and here we are hunting animals for fuel and machinery. A fascinating perversion of the hunter gatherer instinct. And then there's the empathy Aloy shows for these creatures which suggests sentience or the idea of sentience. If they feel then there's going to be an interesting dynamic mirroring the world as it is now. It's something of a trope but if done well and with an interesting concept, could elevate the narrative and offer us layers of morality without moralising. It needs to be kept sub-textual though, otherwise the script will fall apart rapidly.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The most eye-rollingly lame thing that could happen is that if Aloy ends up as a symbolic name for "alloy" and it's revealed that she's some kind of cyborg hybrid that's destined to unite the humans and robots.

It would be as on-the-nose as John Connor from the Terminator movies being the saviour of the world and his initials just "happen" to be J.C.
Sounds like a better story than most games I've played lately.

Putty

I'm saying that's PS4 footage...Given GG's technical prowess and this is releasing 3+ years after SF, I'm satisfied GG are simply on top of PS4 development...

Amauri14

Extra carefully decorated for cutscene/trailer closeup maybe but this rock face looks really nice.

HZDclimb.gif

Reasonably subtle switch to max-res shadow cascade too.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_trailer_et_date_horizon_zero_dawn-17912_en.html

Download it quickly before it gets removed. Many of previous videos got deleted after some months and can't be downloaded anymore.

This game looks incredible! I feel kind of bad due to the delay, but at least now I will have more time to
see how my pile of shame keeps collecting dust a yet getting forever ever bigger
finish my pile of shame and some of the upcoming games of this year!

I'm saying that's PS4 footage...Given GG's technical prowess and this is releasing 3+ years after SF, I'm satisfied GG are simply on top of PS4 development...

Yeah when it comes to tech it seems GG and Naughty Dog are pretty much the front runners for Sony from early showings, I would have also included Evolution in there too, but given Sony tossed them aside it's a shame, because they made one hell of a beautiful game that was pushing all sorts of crazy.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_trailer_et_date_horizon_zero_dawn-17912_en.html

Download it quickly before it gets removed. Many of previous videos got deleted after some months and can't be downloaded anymore.

I'm sure BlimBlim explained this previously and that it's a case of the archiving system but the videos are still there.

Wow. This looks so good. Gonna get the collector's edition even I don't like statues. But this game looks like it deserves it.
Pricing on the collector's edition is also very fair.

I'm sure BlimBlim explained this previously and that it's a case of the archiving system but the videos are still there.

I didn't know what happened. Whenever I go back to download or watch previous direct-feed videos only few months old, I can't do it.

It's GG. I'm also expecting GoWIV to melt faces.

Yeah when it comes to tech it seems GG and Naughty Dog are pretty much the front runners for Sony from early showings, I would have also included Evolution in there too, but given Sony tossed them aside it's a shame, because they made one hell of a beautiful game that was pushing all sorts of crazy.

You forgot: https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/518263338514386944

Look at the date and imagine the current state, let alone PS4 Neo version. Keep in mind that Cory Barlog was the lead animator of GOW before he became GOW2 and now GOW4 director , so expect GOW4 to be very impressive in the animations' area too.

Top Bottom