• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From now on I assume everything first party is running on Neo because that's just what makes sense.

No it doesn't. Sony will want to continue showing PS4 owners that their purchase was justified. This is on the PS4.

The narrative is forming before our eyes and some people are deliberately helping it along.

PS4 can do wonders at 30 fps. I dont think that is running on PC or NEO.

But I can be really wrong tho.

That's the thing, it's hard to predict resolution or framerates based on compressed youtube trailers. For all we know the trailer (not showing the final product obviously) could be running at 900p with non-stable 30fps. PS4 should be able to do that. Not to forget that the PS4 Neo mode isn't supposed to do much more than enhance resolution, fps and maybe AA and stuff like that. It won't have other models of the robosaurs or the better textures.

That said, it's okay to be at least sceptical if this graphical masterpiece runs at 1080p and rock-solid 30fps (or more) on a regular PS4. It just looks too freaking good to be true. And you know what they say about things which sound too good to be true, right?

spekkeh

Banned
No it doesn't. Sony will want to continue showing PS4 owners that their purchase was justified. This is on the PS4.

The narrative is forming before our eyes and some people are deliberately helping it along.
Really now, complacency is more important to a hardware company than selling new hardware?

The God

Sony's going to introduce new hardware without showing why people need to buy that new hardware?

c'mon now

Of course it makes sense. Do you see cross-gen trailers showing the last-gen version? Multiplatform games showing the XB1 version? Hell, basically every multiplatform game uses the PC version at the highest possible settings in its trailer, because better looking games sell more copies. Why would you advertise the inferior version?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Really now, complacency is more important to a hardware company than selling new hardware?

Sony's going to introduce new hardware without showing why people need to buy that new hardware?

c'mon now

Of course it makes sense. Do you see cross-gen trailers showing the last-gen version? Multiplatform games showing the XB1 version? Hell, basically every multiplatform game uses the PC version at the highest possible settings in its trailer, because better looking games sell more copies. Why would you advertise the inferior version?

So you're completely convinced this is running on the Neo, even though we've seen it running on the PS4 a year ago? OK, carry on.

I still don't understand how they've proven themselves. For one, PlayStation gamers know them for only one game - Witcher 3. Two, it has some seriously lackluster combat with some of the wonkiest controls ever. Third, it was plagued with terrible slowdown in several main areas that required a year's worth of patches to fix. If there was ever a developer that did not deserve the rap they get around here it would be CDPR.

GG on the other hand have a long track record with PlayStation fans. They've seen how their work with Killzone was marked by a shaky start, then major success, and finally growth and risks taken. Look to this game with a cautious optimism. I would never suggest the same for CDPR's Cyberpunk project. Not in any serious way.

I meant in regards to their writing.

Turin

Banned
Man this game looks cool as hell. The gameplay, the character designs, the art style.

Voice acting leaves something to be desired. Fingers crossed that it'll sound less awkward in the final product.

Javin98

Banned
Image for image yes, UC4 does look a bit better maybe. But Horizon is a huge open world game and yes UC is kinda open but not that open.

I dont know, I wish this is PS4 but it is way, way too clean to be...
Well, yes, basically like I said, Horizon is the more technically impressive game but Uncharted 4 looks slightly better overall. Not really a fair comparison, though, Horizon has dynamic day and night cycle and weather system while all those are fixed in Uncharted 4. As for image quality, it is definitely up there with Uncharted 4. However, there doesn't seem to be the artifacts that were in Uncharted 4, so I'm not sure if it's downsampled or simply TAA.

valkyre

That part seems to lead a seamless transition between cutscene and gameplay just like the previous gameplay demos. This is becoming a common trend for Sony AAA games from The Order 1886 to Uncharted 4 and now Horizon.

I don't think this is Neo version since it has many shadowing artefacts. Considering Neo will be equipped with a RX 480, such inconsistencies will disappear with it if it was running on it.

I kinda suck detecting shadowing artefacts in this gif, could you please pinpoint them to me?

Also its not that I dont believe this is rendered in real time, it could be a cutscene, but is it gameplay quality?

Is there any more info on the weather system? You can create clouds with basic perlin noise which is not terribly computationally expensive, but it really looks like GG spent their time on algorithimic simulation the flocks and herds the bahvoirs etc.

Horizon Clouds tech is being created by the acclaimed FX artist who worked as a Senior FX Technical Director at Blue Sky Studios, where he developed the volumetrics and clouds pipelines for the Rio and Ice Age animated movies.

There was a thread about it in Neogaf talking about it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101497

In fact, here are some of the aspects of this cloud tech:

edThilO.jpg

The clouds lighting uses accurate lighting based on Physically Based Rendering which involves all the aspects of light propagation:

and even one aspect that is not commonly used :

and enhanced by other physical effects and laws:

and finally rendered to match the conditions of atmosphere's elements like the sun's position and height of the clouds which results in different looks and colours:

All those with the different types of clouds in the atmosphere that can vary in height, density, shape and velocity which influence the density and the speed of the precipitations that can impact the gameplay which is heavily tied to weather and day/night cycle.

You can read further details by downloading the PPT file detailing The Real-time Volumetric Cloudscapes here: http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/index.html

but Warning: the file is very very heavy and you need a hefty PC to run the videos in those slideshows.

The God

So you're completely convinced this is running on the Neo, even though we've seen it running on the PS4 a year ago? OK, carry on.

Uh, yeah. Especially since the marketing will ramp up throughout the year, they'll want to show the best version. You really think stuff like GoWIV will be running on the base PS4 next week?

I didn't know what happened. Whenever I go back to download or watch previous direct-feed videos only few months old, I can't do it.

You forgot: https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/518263338514386944

Look at the date and imagine the current state, let alone PS4 Neo version. Keep in mind that Cory Barlog was the lead animator of GOW before he became GOW2 and now GOW4 director , so expect GOW4 to be very impressive in the animations' area too.

Yeah but they've not shown or announced anything yet on PS4, they certainly cranked things up with the graphics on PS3 so I'm expecting the same with their next reveal.

I kinda suck detecting shadowing artefacts in this gif, could you please pinpoint them to me?

I didn't mean in that particular gif. I meant throughout the trailer in general: hair self shadowing is flickering, so does cloth shadowing. Also rocks have flickering disappearing shadows in the horizon where Alloy stands to look at the canyon.

Someone earlier mentioned that young Alloy's hand looked like wax.
First I thought it was caused by motion blur, but after further examination I found that her hand was totally unshaded as if textures and materials didn't get loaded quickly enough. The same was spotted with Uncharted 4 at the end of the E3 demo when Elena Jeans' textures and shaders loaded late. Thank God it was fixed in the final game.

Also its not that I dont believe this is rendered in real time, it could be a cutscene, but is it gameplay quality?

I don't see why you find this not possible in real time. Last year demos showed seamless transitions between cutscenes and gameplay and this scene is just asking for such situation withe camera panning gradually behind Alloy to allow gameplay control. Such situations are no longer a suprise after The order 1886 and Uncharted 4. I don't see how Horizon will be an exception. The gameplay elements and tech alone are even more unbelievable than going from cutscene to gameplay in real time.
Also the flickering and artefacts show that those scenes are in real time/gameplay otherwise if they were pre-rendred in-engine, they could have run the cutscenes without such flaws since they would have been rendred offline and not by the gameplay engine which is prone to such hiccups and bugs.

Yeah but they've not shown or announced anything yet on PS4, they certainly cranked things up with the graphics on PS3 so I'm expecting the same with their next reveal.

This is what makes me certain that GOW4 will look beyond anything shown since this is the only flagship IP Sony didn't show yet.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
This thread is about Horizon and not another pointless NEO thread.

Some people will get really disappointed next week!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony will show the best looking versions of their own games. What's crazy about that?

Cause people already claiming it to be. This discussion is bullshit, the Neo doesn't exist at this point and it gets at bit annoying now.

who knows if the final game will end up looking like that, certainly looks amazing tho. either they added a great TAA or its in-engine fake footage. previous footage shimmered like crazy. take note ubisoft, this is what a next gen, prehistoric, open world environment should look like, at least on pc. not like far cry primal.

Benefits of being a technically accomplished 1st party studio and working in a closed box environment result in games like this.
It's easily possible this trailer was from a regular PS4 if you know what GG can do.

Is this an open world game?

and if so, any idea on world map size?

It's an open world action RPG but we don't know much about map size.
Though here's an interesting tidbit from the ex-game producer Mark Norris:

According to Norris, it's not the size of the game's world that people should be concerned with - it's the density of it. "I think it's always interesting when we talk about an open world, [many] wonder how big the map is," he begins, adding: "I think one of the things you should ask is how dense the population of that map is, what activities will be [like] or if it will [be] a map where you [have to] run where there is absolutely nothing."

"We are really seeing the quality of the content that will be on the map, the number of secondary missions, how we want to shape the main story over the world map and feel full. We do not have a size that we can give, but I can say that we have done an analysis of other games and I think we have achieved something that will be good for Horizon," Norris concludes.

Zojirushi

who knows if the final game will end up looking like that, certainly looks amazing tho. either they added a great TAA or its in-engine fake footage. previous footage shimmered like crazy. take note ubisoft, this is what a next gen, prehistoric, open world environment should look like, at least on pc. not like far cry primal.

Did FCP look bad? Just remembering preview footage which was probably downgraded later but that looked pretty great.

valkyre

Yes.

I can even say that skies are part of the open world scenery since GG is taking into consideration many types of clouds spreading along miles/kilometers of the atmopshere.

Very nice, I am guessing cities are also included right? (cities meaning not the old destroyed cities, but present time functioning tribe cities/villages)

OléGunner;205913977 said:
Benefits of being a technically accomplished 1st party studio and working in a closed box environment result in games like this.
It's easily possible this trailer was from a regular PS4 if you know what GG can do.

Though here's an interesting tidbit from the game producer Mark Norris:

ok so its going to be a smaller open world but much more density.

Zojirushi

OléGunner;205913977 said:
Though here's an interesting tidbit from the game producer Mark Norris:

Huh, I dunno man, seems like this kind of approach could easily lead to the Assassin's Creed syndrome of having a relatively small world cluttered with...stuff.

I actually do enjoy if a world is interesting enough in itself so that designers don't have to cram a side activity into every square foot of it.

Horizon could be that from the looks of it. Please don't Ubi/WB it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Right, so ... I'm assuming you start as a child and grow up during gameplay (I think Fable did this) but something happens that alienates you from the tribe or something that's always been there and is heightened when you come of age. Eventually the tribe cast you out and you go in search of your past, hunting and getting stronger along the way.

Did FCP look bad? Just remembering preview footage which was probably downgraded later but that looked pretty great.

i dont recall them showing much of the game before launch so i dont think it was downgraded. it didnt look "bad". tho in some ways it was worse than far cry 4. still looks very cross gen-ish to me. very bad lod, low poly environments, poor materials, poor animation etc. the aa options in the pc version also arent great. only option is a temporal smaa which is kind of meh, and i think they have fxaa in there.

viHuGi

Banned
The Neo talking has derailed this thread and nobody bats an eye, incredible, just sad.

Talk about the game, this is Ps4, Neo has not even been announced and Sony is already showing the game on it, to fool Ps4 owners? loool this thread.

viHuGi

Banned
Right, so ... I'm assuming you start as a child and grow up during gameplay (I think Fable did this) but something happens that alienates you from the tribe or something that's always been there and is heightened when you come of age. Eventually the tribe cast you out and you go in search of your past, hunting and getting stronger along the way.

Yeah i think is pretty safe to say you will play as a child, in some first missions just like in
Uncharted 3
and
Uncharted 4

With that said, i'm pretty sure that is just a little part of the game to put you on track with story, characters etc...

The Neo talking has derailed this thread and nobody bats an eye, incredible, just sad.

Talk about the game, this is Ps4, Neo has not even been announced and Sony is already showing the game on it, to fool Ps4 owners? loool this thread.

My point too. Irrelevent if itw as the case. At least after the official announcement of the PS4 Neo they can allow themselves such extravagance.

kyser73

I'm guessing the bluetooth earpiece is something only you can use and gives some kind of connection to the robodinos.

Possibly an outcast from the standby logo tattooed bad guys?

I'll also guess that mother is somehow connected to the old ones, given the 'identity accepted' scene at the end.

Also - I'm assuming PS4 until Sony say otherwise. There's enough going on with lod pop-in, shadow creep and other bits that say base to me.

Not that I care, I'll be playing this on a Neo.

Ex-producer, btw.

Ahh thanks for clarifying, didn't know he left the project.

ok so its going to be a smaller open world but much more density.

Pretty much.

Huh, I dunno man, seems like this kind of approach could easily lead to the Assassin's Creed syndrome of having a relatively small world cluttered with...stuff.

I actually do enjoy if a world is interesting enough in itself so that designers don't have to cram a side activity into every square foot of it.

Horizon could be that from the looks of it. Please don't Ubi/WB it.

That's their biggest dilemma yeah.

I guess some side content will inevitably be repetitive in an open world e.g. TW3 has you doing monster nests, bandit camps and guarded monster treasures all throughout the game+ two expansions.
Doing such stuff for the most part was fun thanks to CDPR's world design and chance to get good loot.

If combat in Horizon is fun and dynamic, enemies are cool and emergent quests arise from the side content then GG should reach their goal for good map density.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah i think is pretty safe to say you will play as a child, in some first missions just like in
Uncharted 3
and
Uncharted 4

With that said, i'm pretty sure that is just a little part of the game to put you on track with story, characters etc...

I think they may be braver than that.

Top Bottom