• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

And TLoU. And I'm starting to not feel it anymore. These ruined cityscapes are getting old pretty fast.

I think the part of the game that we haven't seen much of yet, that being the futuristic alien civilization stuff, will balance out the ancient city ruins vibe. Oh and robot dinos.

I did now. Once the engine has to stream the terrain in all the directions, it doesn't matter anymore how big the area is. It can be 10sqKm, or 1000000sqKm, it's all the same to the engine, and comes down to how many varied, high quality assets you can produce. Also, UC4 has AI combatants in some of those open areas, and, sure, doesn't have day/night changes - but also looks better in some ways, so it's generally a wash.

I mean generally speaking, and all the potentially baseless comparisons aside, I'd expect a Neo-class hardware to have better image quality and shadow resolution than what's seen here.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to disprove your engine remark, but U4 is a 'controlled' and contained relatively small environment whereas Horizon's will be dynamic and huge. I'd think that matters.

And TLoU. And I'm starting to not feel it anymore. These ruined cityscapes are getting old pretty fast.
I think it will feel pretty fresh when those cityscapes are populated with gigantic robot dinosaurs.

Voror

Huh, so is the Limited Edition only for EU while NA only has the regular and Collector's? Or has the LE just not shown up yet?

silva1991

Why? Does Uncharted 4 need Neo version to run almost at stable 30fps???

You need to stop with this Nonsense

Uncharted 4 is a linear game and the semi open areas are empty as fuck.

this is an open world filled with creatures you can interact with, NPCs and probably tons and tons of collectables(quest items/crafting components)

hardly comparable.

this is an open world filled with creatures you can interact with, NPCs and probably tons and tons of collectables(quest items/crafting components)

hardly comparable.

That's true, but you're being delusional if you think Sony will publish a PS4 exclusive that runs like shit on the vast majority of sold PS4 consoles.

Base version of Horizon will run at solid 30fps, even though it might not look as good as the most recent trailer.

hardly comparable.

The E3 chase area is pretty big and has a crap ton going on.

Its not an open world game, but empty as fuck it aint.

This look glorious. I love the fact that people think this is running on an unannounced system. ND and GG always making people doubt what a PS can do.

The God

What possibility? You trying so hard to spin that game is running on Neo. LOL. Does game looks graphically better or much better than a year ago?

NOPE, it's the same basically

You think the graphics in this trailer are the same from E3 2015? ok man

Clean out those eye boogers

That's true, but you're being delusional if you think Sony will publish a PS4 exclusive that runs like shit on the vast majority of sold PS4 consoles.

Base version of Horizon will run at solid 30fps, even though it might not look as good as the most recent trailer.

Also delusional if they think Guerrilla Games will release a game that runs poorly on any hardware platform. I am a huge fan of ND and GG because they are technical wizards.

I hope GG and Sony do a separate showing of this game outside of the main press conference. I feel like it deserves a thorough demonstration just so we know the state of the game etc.

viHuGi

Banned
Also delusional if they think Guerrilla Games will release a game that runs poorly on any hardware platform. I am a huge fan of ND and GG because they are technical wizards.

Let them dream, this will run like butter on PS4 and with those graphics, it will be Amazing and can't wait for the meltdowns haha

Uncharted 4, Doom and many others already proved Ps4 is pretty capable of delivering amazing graphics.

John Wick

hardly comparable.

That's why developers balance what they can achieve??? It's no good having 4K resolution when your game runs at 1fps. You have nothing to base your drive by post on because unless you have the finished product and played it???Far Cry 4 is open world and maintains a stable 30fps???

JimiNutz

Banned
Looks awesome but if that's PS4 Neo footage and not PS4 footage then that's a HUGE dick move.
If the PS4 version actually looks like that and runs well then I'll be amazed and happy.

Samemind

Ick, I hope human enemies aren't too common. I'll probably have to cancel my preorder if it turns out the whole game isn't hunting.

Shtof

Always amazed by Guerilla Games' art design and graphical style. For me this is more important than story and instrumental in the world-building most video games are trying to achieve. For this reason alone I consider Killzone 2 and 3 as some of my favorite games from the last generation. From the looks of it I will be getting my art design fix with this game as well.

I highly doubt this is being shown on a neo. I'd hate to be wrong. If they announce the neo at E3 and Horizon is featured in a video montage or something, I will be skeptical then. Until then I will assume its being shown on a base PS4 at this point. They will want to show people how games can look better on Neo after they announce it. Not before IMO.

giphy.gif

John Wick

Guess this topic is dead. I have a feeling some would not believe this is base PS4 footage even if GG came right out and said it.

Hey I'd love that to be PS4 footage. But we're just making educated guesses judging by the latest footage. It looks amazing. Even alot better than Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 in my opinion is the best looking game on console. Horizon looks even better and being open world.

jet1911

Hey I'd love that to be PS4 footage. But we're just making educated guesses judging by the latest footage. It looks amazing. Even alot better than Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 in my opinion is the best looking game on console. Horizon looks even better and being open world.

What looks so much better than Unchated 4? Or even from the previous Horizon trailer?

But dont you think it would make sense in every conceivable way to wait until after you announce a new system to show what games would look like on it? Its like "here is what Horizon looks like on the Neo!!"
*shows same footage*

I highly doubt it. I think we might even be overestimating how big of a gap there will be between versions of the game. Maybe its as little in this game was the Neo version is a rock solid 30fps at 1080p and the PS4 version is 900p with the occasional dip below 30fps, and there is no way to differentiate the 2 in a trailer like that.

Pejo

Trailer looked gorgeous. I'm not getting the mounted combat though. So on the ground, a single arrow does normal damage, but mounted it can one shot a raptor sized dinobot?

Loved some of the new dino designs from this trailer, specifically the croc looking one. I wonder if the gameplay areas are going to be more open-world, or if it's sorta scripted as to when you're going to fight each encounter, in a certain order.

Lots of questions still about this game, but it's definitely on my radar.

Servbot24

Banned
It's very clearly not as refined as Uncharted 4.

Trailer looked gorgeous. I'm not getting the mounted combat though. So on the ground, a single arrow does normal damage, but mounted it can one shot a raptor sized dinobot?

Loved some of the new dino designs from this trailer, specifically the croc looking one. I wonder if the gameplay areas are going to be more open-world, or if it's sorta scripted as to when you're going to fight each encounter, in a certain order.

Lots of questions still about this game, but it's definitely on my radar.

What? You know she has multiple types of arrows right? That makes more sense than a mount adding extra damage.

Crowne

Neo Member
This has to be one of the best looking games I have seen in my 25 years of gaming. The atmosphere, graphics, the art-style and animations all come togehter in an amazing and believable way. I really hope it will look that good on release during gameplay and especially that it will deliver on the gameplay front. This is one hell of a new franchise. The little child in me is sooooo looking forward to it :)

PS: I don't care if it's recorded on the NEO or not, gimme, gimme gimme!!!!

vivekTO

I really digging the OST of this game, is it original or inspired from other tracks?

Environment looking solid as well, Although i hope that the story and dialog are not serviceable as FALLOUT 4 :p

I really digging the OST of this game, is it original or inspired from other tracks?

Environment looking solid as well, Although i hope that the story and dialog are not serviceable as FALLOUT 4 :p
Here is hoping that them hiring the lead writer from Fallout New Vegas pays off.

I don't get the PS4 Neo comments... I'm not seeing anything that isn't doable on a standard PS4, it's just a well edited put together trailer that hides the typical issues you get with open world, just shown in best possible light. I doubt anyone was expecting UC4 to look as good as it does, and GG is up there with the tech, shadowfall was a launch title and is still impressive to this day and efficiency in game engines will always continue to improve and advances through the current console cycle, it hasn't suddenly stagnated.

vivekTO

Here is hoping that them hiring the lead writer from Fallout New Vegas pays off.

I haven't played New Vegas, But i know that some consider it best FALLOUT game story and mission wise. I really spent almost 100 hours in FALLOUT 4 and didn't remember any single mission which made any impact or even memorable.

I do hope that the mission structure in the HORIZON should atleast be good as compare to FALLOUT 4 , and the game will not become loot and grind fest.

I don't get the PS4 Neo comments... I'm not seeing anything that isn't doable on a standard PS4, it's just a well edited put together trailer that hides the typical issues you get with open world, just shown in best possible light. I doubt anyone was expecting UC4 to look as good as it does, and GG is up there with the tech, shadowfall was a launch title and is still impressive to this day and efficiency in game engines will always continue to improve and advances through the current console cycle, it hasn't suddenly stagnated.

This is probably the thing that stands out to me. Now, it could be Neo, sure.

But the majority of that trailer looked like cutscenes. And UC4 just came out with its utterly mindboggling cutscenes on the PS4 so this trailer really doesn't strike me as out of the ordinary.

I haven't played New Vegas, But i know that some consider it best FALLOUT game story and mission wise. I really spent almost 100 hours in FALLOUT 4 and didn't remember any single mission which made any impact or even memorable.

I do hope that the mission structure in the HORIZON should atleast be good as compare to FALLOUT 4 , and the game will not become loot and grind fest.
For sure, same here. My guess is the game will have a good mix of hunting and gathering resources on the side for leveling up and upgrading and plenty of exploring ancient ruins to explore the games lore more in depth. But the main story campaign will probably lean more heavily on the action side of things if what they have been saying is true.

I feel like Killzone got stale because they got fatigue with making Killzone games. This seems more like a labor of love for the team and I bet they have taken notes from some of the better games in the genre, hired some people with good experience and found a good middle ground. I have high hopes for this one.

Krakin

Posts like this make me wish this site had like buttons. Very well said. People are quick to forget that GG have said they won't be using CG or other shenanigans to promote their games. This is the same studio that came damn close to the reveal footage of KZ 2.

Shin-Ra

Comparison Disclaimer

Horizon: Zero Dawn caps taken from potato-bitrate 7Mbps trailer, unfinished, open-world game with fictional stylised characters. Limited footage to pick from and potentially dozens of important characters.
Until Dawn caps taken as lossless PNGs from released and patched, compact environment game with scanned actors as strong basis for characters. Entire game to pick from nine playable characters plus another 3/4 just as detailed extras.

Top Bottom