• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy's Journey Trailer, delayed to February 28th, 2017

John Wick

OK you've questioned it. It doesn't seem like any one is going to change their mind and we won't know anything until E3. What's left?

I don't know why people have a problem with people questioning if that indeed is Neo footage???
Why you ask???
Because game companies have a history of showing footage that was never representative of the final game. And With Sony working on Neo it begs the question?
If it is PS4 then that's amazing for real ingame footage. If it's just cutscenes amd replay footage then it's more than likely PS4

I don't know why people have a problem with people questioning if that indeed is Neo footage???
Why you ask???
Because game companies have a history of showing footage that was never representative of the final game. And With Sony working on Neo it begs the question?
If it is PS4 then that's amazing for real ingame footage. If it's just cutscenes amd replay footage then it's more than likely PS4

Sony has not done that in a long time .
Truth is if this is the neo version i expected it to look even better in the upcoming months.

Remember when GG Cambridge got the KZ engine to run on Vita?

Remember that?

Remember when KZ SF showed that alpha game-play and everyone didn't think it could improve before its release

Cambrige and GG are both tweaking and typing away at this game so I can see this running well on the regular PS4.

CHC

Watched it again and I definitely think I was a little too harsh on the trailer because of the mediocre writing. I guess I was just expecting something a little more interesting in terms of story and set up, but you know what..... the game still looks fucking incredible. If the gameplay takes the forefront, and we're left to explore and hunt in this cool ass world by our own devices, I think this will be a great game.

some things I noticed.

They completely redesigned Aloy's adoptive father/caretaker:

original:
T5kH528.jpg

new:

Now, it may be two different characters but I'm betting it's not given the pattern of his face painting remains the same. The intent I imagine is to make him look significantly younger. Personally, I prefer the original design but maybe the story and lore demand Aloy's guardian be a younger character.

They also seem to have removed Aloy's white/blonde streaks on her hair at the top:

Again I think the intent was to make her look younger here, although I think this difference doesn't really change any sort of perceptions like that. Didn't think she looked older to begin with. Of course I could be wrong and it's just a purely cosmetic change. What I like about Aloy's character design is that she can look young, naive, and joyful but other times can look serious, confident, and powerful.

Another thing I noticed:

In the reveal trailer, these cave paintings are found in, well, a cave. Notice the character is not Aloy (different hair and clothing). It could be her mother, or an unimportant character. The scene could have been just to set the lore, like the view of the vast city we got pre-apocalypse.

The exact same cave painting is featured in the new trailer though, except now etched on the side of an ancient crumbled building. And it's found by Aloy.

I'm thinking maybe these paintings are found in different locations throughout the game and tell a story. Like collectible diaries in other games but a bit more unique. Maybe they're tied to Aloy's mother, who goes on a journey based on what she sees in them. Or they are there to show the history of the land. Either way, it would be cool to have something like that woven into the main story or as optional side quests.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
He's talking to her as a child in that screenshot and as an adult in the original footage, so he's obviously older in the original footage. Aloy perhaps looks younger because she IS younger. I'm starting to think it might be similar to Fable in this respect.

DJIzana

So many lush environments. Already seen some cool mountainous areas, a jungle, desolate looking areas, ruins... wonder if they'll have beaches and that kind of thing too?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ambitious first party Sony game with no multiplayer options. This could go... poorly.
If you're talking about sales and The Order, generally value is the consumer issue and I'm assuming this is more like a 40 hour game than a 4 hour game.

That said, they already noted their biggest hurdle is that it's a new IP and it's really hard to nail both singleplayer and multiplayer as a new IP while not being a mega studio, so your odds with Horizon 2 aren't bad. You see this similarly with multiplayer only titles and SP campaigns this gen as well.

Krakin

I don't get why people are hating on the writing so much when this sounds like standard story trailer narration. The guy probably isn't even going to say these lines in the final game.

The God

Man, why are you wasting your time here? You are obviously a top tier writter/director and I am certain that developers will be desperate to aquire your amazing skills...

This is really the worst argument ever

Do I have to be a game designer to call a game bad?

Game looks really cool, though I was a bit disappointed by the story bits. Found that aspect underwhelming for some reason.

Also, the main character sort of reminds me of Korra. Dunno if it's the voice or what.

Loudninja

I want to know more about the RPG elements. I just remembered this game is supposed to be a rpg.
Like I said before it sounds more Like Fallout 4 on the RPG said of things.

You have crafting,side missions,levels,skill trees and other stuff.

Norris: So there are obviously things that will have objectives and objective markers inside of the game, and another thing that we mentioned during the demo here is the exploration element. We want to drive exploration through having pick-ups that you'll find throughout the world that you can craft with or replenish your health. So, there will be reasons for you to explore this open world that are meta-game related, but there are also quests and a quest system in place that will deliver that story and give you specific places to go
The game is very much built around the economy of the role of resources. Players can go into merchants and sell resources. We also have traders that trade resources directly so you don't have to sell that stuff. How shops and merchants exactly work that's something we're still fleshing out. But the most important bit is also that the player actually crafts a lot of the stuff so there is a creative element in a way in that. I'm collecting this bit from nature and this bit from a robot. I get this other ingredient from the tribes and now I'm going to put this thing together. So we have an interface for that as well where you get the sense of actually making something. I think that's also a bit of what makes it feel more unique. We have these robot components that we add on to the tribal, primitive ingredients and then add a bit of nature as well. Creates a very unique mix.
de Jong: Absolutely. One of the core ideas for setting up the character is that, in a lot of games you get a selection of what player you are, a combat player or stealth player. In our game we wanted to keep that completely open for the player. You can mix and match and put it together in any way you want. Also during the game you can switch. So the different weapons we present, you can work with the weapon wheel and customize it, but also with the skill trees they are very open. As the player levels up, you get skill points, you get to spend them on the skill trees. There, you can go in all directions you want. You can really create your own custom character instead of having to go through this fixed path and not being able to switch things around.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...rld-of-horizon-zero-dawn.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Man, why are you wasting your time here? You are obviously a top tier writter/director and I am certain that developers will be desperate to aquire your amazing skills...

No, man, seriously, I'm the first to pull anyone over about making leaps but the writing isn't great here, even the dialogue within the game. Aloy saying 'why am I an outcast?' is bad, just plain bad. And even though that voice over is written only for this trailer, it is likely from the same writers for the game (I hope it isn't). 'Crumbling ruins' is just plain amateurish and something ND would erase immediately. They are either 'ruins' which already suggests 'crumbling' or 'crumbling building' but never 'crumbling ruins'. It just shows a lack of writing knowledge. It really is one of the most basic rules of writing, up there with 'cascading waterfall'. There's nothing wrong with a modifier as long as it adds something. 'overgrown ruins' isn't perfect but it does add something.

If you look closely, the robot chasing her in the jungle is not a Thunderjaw(T-Rex robos). It looks like some sort of elephant type creature that's running on all fours.

So we have potentially robot:
T-Rex
raptors(That's what I think the Watchers are)
long necks
elk
Bulls?(Cows too?)
crocs
Elephant?
big birds
and war machines seemingly controlled by humans

Discovering the twist the game has on normal animals will be a very fun and even scary part of the game I feel. Imagine just walking in a forest at night with no visibility and you hear a rustle in the leaves, you look around and all you see is red eyes staring at you at a distance with no idea what sort of creature it will be.

In last years E3 I also noticed a flying (hovering) balloon shaped like figures. Might be some sort of station or animal. Looks cool.

skypunch

Banned
Something about this game just isn't doing it for me. I'm not quite feeling the robotic dinosaurs against a natural backdrop or the design of the main character, or the writing & voice work. The gameplay could be good but the game seems meh to me. It's kind of got that cheesy Avatar feel.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Something about this game just isn't doing it for me. I'm not quite feeling the robotic dinosaurs against a natural backdrop or the design of the main character, or the writing & voice work. The gameplay could be good but the game seems meh to me. It's kind of got that cheesy Avatar feel.

Let's wait for context before we start calling the premise cheesy.

huh? Open world is all the rage.....doesn't need MP.

Says TheXbox. The Witcher has some bad Voice work and dialogue at times but the game is amazing.

What? I can't think of a recent game with better dialogue than TW3 lol

I agree that the Horizon doesn't need multiplayer though and as long as the mechanics and quest design are solid, the writing and va won't be a huge deal.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I can already see the 'Aloy's father death scene' coming a mile off, lol.

Maybe, but that would be a plot mechanic, not really a narrative. Plot mechanics are necessary in all mediums that tell stories. They're short cuts to get you where you need to go. As long as they're not abused often they're an acceptable solution. A good example of this would be in TLOU when they're escaping the authority, exit from the back of a trailer and Joel gets knocked down. That scene is just a plot mechanic to tell us what we need to know immediately. I'm not going to be specific there to avoid spoilers so please don't elaborate on that scene :)

My theory:

I don't think Aloy is a cyborg at all. I think she is a child of the old ones. Her parents are probably the creators of the AI/machines, or worked for the company that created them. They probably died saving her when the AI/machines went rogue, and put her into a machine to be cryogenically frozen. Her parents being involved in all this is most likely why that building's scanner was able to confirm her identity.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
My theory:

I don't think Aloy is a cyborg at all. I think she is a child of the old ones. Her parents are probably the creators of the AI/machines, or worked for the company that created them. They probably died saving her when the AI/machines went rogue, and put her into a machine to be cryogenically frozen. Her parents being involved in all this is most likely why that building's scanner was able to confirm her identity.

I don't think we need spoilers for theories. :)

I also noticed that machine recognised her. I'm convinced we get to play her as a young girl. That scene were she throws the blue ear piece to the floor and backs away suggests we'll be playing that when she finds it.

Conduit

Banned
Look, if you think this trailer and last year's gameplay demo are the same graphically, then I dunno what to tell you.

I didn't saw the difference in clouds ( they were volumetric before), i didn't saw the difference that main charachter has more polys, i didn't saw the difference that T-Rex has more polys. What's the problem?

It's pathetic theory from now on that every game that will have some graphical upgrade in next showcase, it's the Neo version. We saw a gameplay a year ago. Hey, it's on PS4. If there really is some minor graphical upgrade that i missed maybe, automatically it's the Neo version. That's bullshit, man.

I don't think we need spoilers for theories. :)

I also noticed that machine recognised her. I'm convinced we get to play her as a young girl. That scene were she throws the blue ear piece to the floor and backs away suggests we'll be playing that when she finds it.
Well, I figured if I ended up being correct, it wouldn't hurt to spoiler tag it. :p

It'd be awesome if there are some playable sequences as young Aloy

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well, I figured if I ended up being correct, it wouldn't hurt to spoiler tag it. :p

It'd be awesome if there are some playable sequences as young Aloy

It's also possible that she's given it as a gift and wears it thinking nothing of it and then one day (that scene) it crackles into life and she hears a voice or a signal. Maybe Mother's voice?

I don't get why people are hating on the writing so much when this sounds like standard story trailer narration. The guy probably isn't even going to say these lines in the final game.

I think it's fair to note that it's lacking given how amazing everything else looks. (We're judging a trailer, not the proper game.) Having said that, you're right: The narration in these trailers shouldn't be indicative of the quality of writing in the game.

valkyre

This is really the worst argument ever

Do I have to be a game designer to call a game bad?

Forming such a definitive opinion (presented as "fact") based on 3 minute trailer? You bet...

Its not like I tell you not to say something negative about the trailer, or that you did not like what you saw. But coming to such definitive conclusion as to label it "bad", like its made by worthless people who have no idea what a stoty or script is, sounds at the very least arrogant as hell. Its only a 3 minute trailer, of a huge game, so maybe... just maybe, we should wait a bit instead of jumping the gun.

Top Bottom