• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Leaked CAULDRON Screenshots [Spoilers Warning]

game 'looks' great...hopefully the gameplay is also a winner...Tomb Raider with mechs?
What has been worrying about the gameplay outside of "Well, GG"? It looks good, previews up to this point have praised it, etc...

I'm just curious because I keep seeing this. I mean, sure, it may not be great but some of the comments make it seem like it could turn out bad and I'm just not seeing anything indicative of that.

TitusTroy

What has been worrying about the gameplay outside of "Well, GG"? It looks good, previews up to this point have praised it, etc...

I'm just curious because I keep seeing this. I mean, sure, it may not be great but some of the comments make it seem like it could turn out bad and I'm just not seeing anything indicative of that.

it doesn't look bad in any of the previews I've seen but it also looks a bit bland for some reason...hopefully they set out to make a good game and not just a good-looking game

I'm seeing more similarities with FFXV Open World than Zelda/Witcher/Far Cry.

• Towns and settlements to get quests
  • Huge open world to kill monsters
  • Hidden dungeons to explore
I haven't played zelda and farcry. But you realized all 3 of those list applied to Witcher too, right?

Does it matter?
It matters to the many people with discerning eyes like myself.

these games still have to run on base hardware so you're not getting a huge leap in graphics on a Scorpio.
I personally see a significant graphical leap between PS4 and PS4 Pro. So if the difference between Xbox One and Project Scorpio is at least as much [which most are expecting], then yes there very much will be. I am personally expecting to see a generational leap between the two, especially taking into account that Microsoft has been so overtly marketing it in that precise fashion.

So then,
I'm quite curious to see how PS4 Pro games stack up to what Project Scorpio will be capable of bringing at that point.

It matters to the many people with discerning eyes like myself.

I personally see a significant graphical leap between PS4 and PS4 Pro. So if the difference between Xbox One and Project Scorpio is at least as much [which most are expecting], then yes there very much will be. I am personally expecting to see a generational leap between the two, especially taking into account that Microsoft has been so overtly marketing it in that precise fashion.

So then,

You won't see a generational leap because:

1. Software is tied to base hardware
2. Specs are not next gen

Think of it as playing Gears of War 4 on a PC with something between an RX 480 and GTX 1070.

You won't see a generational leap because:

1. Software is tied to base hardware
2. Specs are not next gen
1. Why assume that every dev will scale up as opposed to scale down? Maybe some creative minds will build their game with Scorpio in mind and wind everything back for the Xbox One version. You can't say they won't, because you don't know yet. It's not out.
2. No one knows all the specs, and we will all have to wait to see for ourselves when the time comes. Again, you can't know.

Think of it as playing Gears of War 4 on a PC with something between an RX 480 and GTX 1070.
Scorpio isn't out, no one knows all the specs, and we've not seen a single game performance running on the hardware.

You're speaking as if you know insider information about an unreleased console with 100% certainty based on speculation and assumption. It says more about you than it does my curiosity and expectations. I'm not going to sit here an say that my guesses are right and yours are wrong... I'll wait for Microsoft's next console to come out, observe, learn, then form opinions based on my experience actually seeing what we're attempting to discuss here. That way, maybe some day in the future a reasonable and factual discussion about this can happen.

-------

But back to the subject at hand, Horizon looks pretty good for a console game. A decent Faux-K presentation.

Muninn

Banned
I've been paying attention to all the media coming through on this game, and for a console experience it looks pretty good.

Sure it's Faux-K, but at this point the vast majority of HDTV owners aren't even capable of viewing its highest resolution. And I don't think that Sony is attempting to lure anyone away from Mid/High-end PC gaming with the PS4 Pro. I've personally been gaming in true 4K at home (rendering native 5K), so seeing games like this actually just reinforces my decision to move away from consoles. To each their own, though, some people don't care about that sort of difference in visual fidelity. And at the end of the day, gameplay matters every bit as much.

But 1-2 years from now the landscape will certainly change. And I'm quite curious to see how PS4 Pro games stack up to what Project Scorpio will be capable of bringing at that point.

Pretty good lol? I have a high-end PC and this is my most anticipated game. No PC game in existence offers what this game is bringing. This looks more than PRETTY GOOD at 30FPS bud.

As for Scorpio's performance there is no way they can keep it compatible while delivering even Native 4K content for all games unless they are 30FPS. Even then they won't make that for all games. 4K is not worth the bandwidth in many scenarios. Supersampling and better graphics are a more logical choice than pure 4K until you got the detail and power to make 4K worth it IMO.

As if comparing Horizon to Zelda wasn't enough, then it was that one scene... now there seems a need for some to regularly bring up in conversation a console that's not even out yet...

If there's one thing GG managed with Horizon, it's bringing out the best in people.
/s

Cauldrons look unique and exciting to explore.

Pretty good lol? I have a high-end PC and this is my most anticipated game. No PC game in existence offers what this game is bringing. This looks more than PRETTY GOOD at 30FPS bud.
That is your opinion, and it is no more correct than mine. Checkerboarding doesn't look great to me, even though most others seem to really like it. What looks good to me won't look good to another, and vice versa. And that's perfectly alright, we can all of us simply agree to disagree.

MartyStu

Some of those textures look sort of dodgy, but the game looks good otherwise.

Really hoping that this game is not as close to Far Cry 4's idea of what constitutes an RPG as I fear.

Yeah, I also disagree with him. Witcher doesn't look as impressive as this overall on any platform...I think that is pretty unequivocal. [And I think W3 looks totally awesome by the way]

You are trying too hard.

I've been paying attention to all the media coming through on this game, and for a console experience it looks pretty good.

Sure it's Faux-K, but at this point the vast majority of HDTV owners aren't even capable of viewing its highest resolution. And I don't think that Sony is attempting to lure anyone away from Mid/High-end PC gaming with the PS4 Pro. I've personally been gaming in true 4K at home (rendering native 5K), so seeing games like this actually just reinforces my decision to move away from consoles. To each their own, though, some people don't care about that sort of difference in visual fidelity. And at the end of the day, gameplay matters every bit as much.

But 1-2 years from now the landscape will certainly change. And I'm quite curious to see how PS4 Pro games stack up to what Project Scorpio will be capable of bringing at that point.
What is even the point of this post, especially in this thread?

Really hoping that this game is not as close to Far Cry 4's idea of what constitutes an RPG as I fear.

You are trying too hard.

Lighting and IQ wise they both look the same to me
horizon does seem to have better draw distance , foliage animations,alpha effects and such and just generally more complex polygons thrown into mosters and environments

vivekTO

where's my daily fix (img/gif leak) vivek? ninja?. lol

After Browsing the 4Chan Thread yesterday, I need some time out :p
Although The Topic of discussion was the same, "There no such thing as good Graphics on console" I think having a Poor Laptop/PC let me appreciate the Console Graphics.

You are trying too hard.

Okay, visuals are subjective at some level so that was too definitive...but what I think of core visual attributes - lighting, character and world geometry, post processing and effects - look a step forward here from what I played in Witcher 3, even Blood and Wine, which look quite a bit nicer than the main game... I expect Cyberpunk 2077 to improve quite handily over Witcher though, and it is probably my most anticipated game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so..there actually IS a bond between Horizon and BotW!

1486906263740.png

Alej

Banned
That is your opinion, and it is no more correct than mine. Checkerboarding doesn't look great to me, even though most others seem to really like it. What looks good to me won't look good to another, and vice versa. And that's perfectly alright, we can all of us simply agree to disagree.

Stop with this shit already. Faux-K, like you said, is 2160c. It is a 4K picture where you only render half of the pixels per frame and search for the others informatiob elsewhere in past frames.

Not only it's a 4K picture in the end, but the odd pixels it creates are small and the artifacts it creates in movement are less an issue than motion resolution on most TVs.

You are here to shit over it and that's all. So please, if you aren't interested about that game, leave the discussion about OP in peace.

We don't need it to be the best graphic demo humans have created.

jdstorm

Banned
Because they come out in the same week, are both colourful and open world, and fanboys.

Because both games feature a
post apocalyptic open world where nature has rebuilt after machines have wiped out most of humanity

Both games are action RPGs that have Bow, Melee and
Mounted
combat, as well as a variety of different
Stats based inventory (clothing)

Both games contain
Dungeons

Both games use
flashbacks as the main way they tell the story about how the world came to be

I'm seeing more similarities with FFXV Open World than Zelda/Witcher/Far Cry.

• Towns and settlements to get quests
  • Huge open world to kill monsters
  • Hidden dungeons to explore

Have you played The Witcher 3? Because everything you mentioned can be applied to that as well.

After Browsing the 4Chan Thread yesterday, I need some time out :p
Although The Topic of discussion was the same, "There no such thing as good Graphics on console" I think having a Poor Laptop/PC let me appreciate the Console Graphics.

Jesus, that 4Chan thread is full of complete retards, as a PC gamer myself, it's embarrassing. It's really sad how some people have to justify owning a really expensive gaming PC by saying Horizon (or any good looking console game) looks crap.

vivekTO

Jesus, that 4Chan thread is full of complete retards, as a PC gamer myself, it's embarrassing. It's really sad how some people have to justify owning a really expensive gaming PC by saying Horizon (or any good looking console game) looks crap.

The thing is we are also discussing the same in here , if you can check some post above , but without much of swearing.

The thing is we are also discussing the same in here , if you can check some post above , but without much of swearing.

Yeah but some of the posts I've seen over there are far worse than anything on here, its just pages of hate, people openly saying they want the game to fail and they can't wait for it to happen.

vivekTO

Yeah but some of the posts I've seen over there are far worse than anything on here, its just pages of hate, people openly saying they want the game to fail and they can't wait for it to happen.

Yeah I agree on that, Its getting absurd amount of hate there. idk Why though?

Yeah I agree on that, Its getting absurd amount of hate there. idk Why though?

Haters gonna hate I guess but it is ridiculous.

Maybe some of them are PC only gamers and hate the fact that they won't get to play this great looking game.

A lot of them are really talking up PC graphics too, like they have to justify their expensive PC. Maybe the fact Horizon has really great graphics but runs on a much cheaper console, makes them feel insecure about their gaming machine of choice, who knows for sure with idiots like that.

This is my first and final reply to theshape31 in this thread, I don't want to derail it.

1. Why assume that every dev will scale up as opposed to scale down? Maybe some creative minds will build their game with Scorpio in mind and wind everything back for the Xbox One version. You can't say they won't, because you don't know yet. It's not out.

Current-gen multiplatform engines are already quite good at scaling from Xbox One to high end gaming PCs and vice versa.

2. No one knows all the specs, and we will all have to wait to see for ourselves when the time comes. Again, you can't know.

Except Microsoft of course. What they have revealed gives us a rough idea of what to expect.

Scorpio isn't out, no one knows all the specs, and we've not seen a single game performance running on the hardware.

Performance and image quality won't be far from what's achievable on a RX 480 paired with a decent CPU.

You're speaking as if you know insider information about an unreleased console with 100% certainty based on speculation and assumption.

What are you on? Microsoft have themselves mentionend the following:

Eight CPU cores
Over 320GB/s of memory bandwidth
Six teraflops (TF) of GPU power

It says more about you than it does my curiosity and expectations.

What?

I'm not going to sit here an say that my guesses are right and yours are wrong... I'll wait for Microsoft's next console to come out, observe, learn, then form opinions based on my experience actually seeing what we're attempting to discuss here. That way, maybe some day in the future a reasonable and factual discussion about this can happen.

Then why did you bring up Project Scorpio in an unrelated thread?

But back to the subject at hand, Horizon looks pretty good for a console game. A decent Faux-K presentation.

Unless you've got something better to show for yourself, I'm not going to argue against your 'pretty good for a console game' and 'Faux-k' fallacious opinion.

There appear to be a handful of folks who look to start some shitfest in every Zelda and Horizon thread.

I'm so sick of it. Some people just want to argue for no reason.

Yes, both games share similarites by being open world, but at their core, they are completely differents.

Anyway, I'm excited for both and I'm pretty sure Horizon and BotW will do great.

Top Bottom