• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Just got the quiet sprinting skill. With a high stealth I can sprint right infront of things and they don't give a fuck. It works so well I can do silent take downs while sprinting.

Just got the quiet sprinting skill. With a high stealth I can sprint right infront of things and they don't give a fuck. It works so well I can do silent take downs while sprinting.

That one and the whistling ability I refuse to unlock...too over powered and cheezy for my tastes lol

Going from Breath of the Wild back to Horizon to finish up the bunkers feels nuts.

Horizon is so smooth while BOTW framerate is so poor a lot of the time.
That's why I paused my playthrough of Zelda for a bit. I only play bits when here and there. Not only the frameratea are but on the big screen the game looks rough. Going from near perfect IQ to what's in Zelda is incredibly jarring for me. I don't want that to hamper my enjoyment of Zelda. Some people look past it, but a great game with great visuals really enhances my enjoyment with the game.

As for cities, the problem seems to be that Guerilla didn't put a lot effort into making the ai seem like they doing a daily routine. They're sort of just there instead of living in an area. I really hope they put work into this aspect in the sequel. They can really make an amazing game that way.

Anyone else have an issue with the lvl50 trophy not unlocking? I have every skill trophy and am at lvl50 for the past 20hrs of gameplay, but no trophy for me...

TTG

I can upload a video if necessary.

Sure, sounds interesting.

Meanwhile, I'm nearing the finish line, maybe another quarter of the way left for main quests? Still have 2 cauldrons to do, which I will do and a number of side quests I probably won't.

You know what the most dangerous machine is on the hardest difficulty? A Ravager. Assuming Aloy doesn't have the ability to override them, even 2 ravagers together are way more dangerous than a Thunderjaw. They are really fast and aggressive and their melee attacks are one hit kills, bad combination. I also neglected the ropecaster for a while there making those fights even more difficult. Thunderjaws give you heavy guns to use on them and they have weak points, Storm birdies hang back and keep their distance, Ravagers are just always on you pouncing. Maybe those underground burrowers are just as bad, but they're not really prevalent.

Anyway, the story has turned out to be standard sci fi pulpy stuff, that's alright.
I appreciate them explaining a lack of flora and fauna. Seeing the same boars and foxes and the same tall red grass gets old.
Just about the only text file I went in to look up(at random) was setting up foreign lands that I assume we'll see in the sequel. Not many specifics, but they sounded cool. It's in shadow carja land, which is also the most beautiful region in the land, probably.

There are probably two ways to look at this game in the macro in regard to a possible sequel. One, there are a bunch of superfluous mechanics that have been implemented to some extent because it's standard vocabulary for open world games and rpgs. Leveling system(beyond the skill tree), hunting for expanding inventory, dialogue trees for player choice etcetera. The other is this will all serve as a foundation that will be expanded.

I hope they don't do that. Strip it down, instead add a lot more "random" encounters at roadsides, both procedural and full sidequests and give the cities/bigger settlements another pass. More varied vendors are a must, more hunting lodge esque establishments(I don't want to call them guilds).

Did I mention hang gliders or jetpacks? That's job number 1. More verticality, for all the amazing skyscraper ruins, there's next to nothing to climb that's not a story related thing. And oh my god invisible walls everywhere, they need to go.

So I did a video where I travel to the far north east of the map, it's mostly a river with several ruins and corrupted Snapmaws.

I've made some discoveries, mostly glitches.

First: Snapmaws are outside of the limits, at first I had the impression and desire to have found a prototype of another machine but no, corrupted Snapmaws, tons of them.

Second: When you trespass, it doesn't tell you to go away, it just tell you that you can't access the area.

Third: Glitched wall, like a silver screen, an interference, matches the sci fi setting tho. :p

Fourth: Glitched ruin with floating collumns.

Fifth: You can swim outside the area for a good strech.

And sixth: Is that a little maelstrom!?

Here's the whole video (10 minutes)

Message to not advance and Corrupted Snapmaws

Glitched Sci Fi Wall

Leaving the frontier

Broken Ruin With Floating Collumns

Maelstrom!?

Another story mission? Damn it.
You have to wait until night/late afternoon. The gate should open for you.

I just sat there for 10 minutes and when I turned around the gate was open. Maybe it just takes a bit.

I've also read that if you fast travel to the nearby ruins (devil's thirst) instead of right next to the mountain it should be open when you get there.

RDreamer

Took on my first Thunderjaw and Stormbird today. The Stormbird was pretty easy. I had it roped down the entire time and quickly got it stripped of everything. Then it just requires a lot of arrows.

Thunderjaw was fun. There were some bandits fighting it so I decided to give it a shot. They obviously didn't last long or do much but it had him distracted for a second while I stripped some parts. Then I corrupted three Glinthawks nearby and they joined in the fight against him. Then I kinda cheesed a wall at the top of the hill while getting him down in health. Didn't know he'd drop a gun to use on him. Next time! Still fun stuff especially when there were three hawks going crazy with him.

Grisby

That's why I paused my playthrough of Zelda for a bit. I only play bits when here and there. Not only the framer are but on the big screen the gamel ooks rough. Going from near perfect IQ to what's in Zelda is incredibly jarring for me. I don't want that to hamper my enjoyment of Zelda. Some people look.past it, but a great game with great visuals really enhances my enjoyment with the game.

As for cities, the problem seems to be that Guerilla didn't put a lot effort into making the ai seem like they doing a daily routine. They're sort of just there instead of living in an area. I really hope they put work into this aspect in the sequel. They can really make an amazing game that way.
I've been playing Zelda since Wednesday after (mostly) completing Horizon. I'm on Wii U and yeah the FPS is rough, which can be jarring when you go back to Horizon.

However, it actually is making me respect Zelda on how much color and art they're able to push with their more limited hardware. Just the technical side is where they surprisingly fell short.

And yeah, I bet Guerilla takes the town stuff and really fleshes it out in the sequel.

Another story mission? Damn it.
You'll have access after progressing the story, yes.

Basically, you'll be able to get that missed power cell before you'll be able to find the final power cell. Some light spoilers but...
The power cells are in main mission areas and the final one isn't until late game. By that point you'll have access to the mountain again.
You haven't missed anything, don't worry.

I've been playing Zelda since Wednesday after (mostly) completing Horizon. I'm on Wii U and yeah the FPS is rough, which can be jarring when you go back to Horizon.

However, it actually is making me respect Zelda on how much color and art they're able to push with their more limited hardware. Just the technical side is where they surprisingly fell short.

And yeah, I bet Guerilla takes the town stuff and really fleshes it out in the sequel.
I just read my post and saw all of the errors I made. I apologize if it made your head hurt. Making posts on a phone can be a really annoying sometimes.

So don't get me wrong, Zelda's art is fabulous. I play in handheld mode for now and it's great that way. It's just dock mode disappoints me but it's whatever.

I seem to be doing well with fire arrows. Use a burst arrow to knock off their weapons or armor, then light them up with fire arrows. They seem to be really accurate even without charging up the bow, just letting loose constantly.
Cheap tactic too as I seem to always have TONS of blaze.

Falchion

I've got to say I absolutely adore the stealth armor. Using it is so much fun and lets me get the drop on enemies while avoiding groups that I don't want to mess with.

So I did a video where I travel to the far north east of the map, it's mostly a river with several ruins and corrupted Snapmaws.

I've made some discoveries, mostly glitches.

First: Snapmaws are outside of the limits, at first I had the impression and desire to have found a prototype of another machine but no, corrupted Snapmaws, tons of them.

Second: When you trespass, it doesn't tell you to go away, it just tell you that you can't access the area.

Third: Glitched wall, like a silver screen, an interference, matches the sci fi setting tho. :p

Fourth: Glitched ruin with floating collumns.

Fifth: You can swim outside the area for a good strech.

And sixth: Is that a little maelstrom!?

Here's the whole video (10 minutes)

Message to not advance and Corrupted Snapmaws

Glitched Sci Fi Wall

Leaving the frontier

Broken Ruin With Floating Collumns

Maelstrom!?

The glitched sci fi wall and the floating columns absolutely unnerved the hell out of me when I first found them. I was too wary about the corrupted Snapmaws to get any closer, and I didn't realized the floating colum island was full realized, that's awesome.

The north east side of the map made me paranoid that Aloy was either in The Matrix or The Truman Show - or both simultaneously. The glitch wall was a surprise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I really enjoy Aloy's reactions to Nils generally cheery disposition
as he talks about murdering bandits like he's getting off on it

The glitched sci fi wall and the floating columns absolutely unnerved the hell out of me when I first found them. I was too wary about the corrupted Snapmaws to get any closer, and I didn't realized the floating colum island was full realized, that's awesome.

The north east side of the map made me paranoid that Aloy was either in The Matrix or The Truman Show - or both simultaneously. The glitch wall was a surprise.

So it's not ocassional? it's something that's always there? I wonder about that hole in the water...
I bet, somewhere, there are some secret machines hidden, broken or not completely developed, kinda like Shadow of the Colossus.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I seem to be doing well with fire arrows. Use a burst arrow to knock off their weapons or armor, then light them up with fire arrows. They seem to be really accurate even without charging up the bow, just letting loose constantly.
Cheap tactic too as I seem to always have TONS of blaze.

you wont for long if you start using blast traps :(

TTG

All traps are good for is rooting Aloy in one spot while some asshole runs her over because I have to flip past all of them to get to the health potion.

All traps are good for is rooting Aloy in one spot while some asshole runs her over because I have to flip past all of them to get to the health potion.
The quick select is the only major gripe I have with the game. It's very poorly implemented.

Aloy is a great badass character. But forget about her. It's how badass the game makes ME feel!
I'm killing giant robot dinosaurs left and right, while i'm running, dodging, changing weapons, etc. Bring it!

So sad that i have little time to play, because i can play this all day long.

Had my first cauldron yesterday and i reached Meridian. Game just keeps getting better.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not to be that guy but I dont think we need to spoiler tag words like Cauldron or Meridian anymore tbh.

(If we ever did, neither of those mean anything if you havent played the game)

CHC

Not sure if you're doing it already but bringing up the weapon wheel helps a lot for that too, because of the time slow down. The item select does SUCK though. They should have had left, right, and down be rebindable to whatever items you wanted. I basically only use explosive traps and health potions so it's not like you really need more than three items at your fingertips for any given fight.

Not to be that guy but I dont think we need to spoiler tag words like Cauldron or Meridian anymore tbh.

(If we ever did, neither of those mean anything if you havent played the game)

Yeah, i did it just to not spoil anything for beginners. But i agree it doesn't spoil anything really.

TTG

I'm also not finding a need for the trip caster. Relatively small amount of damage considering the pain it is to kite enemies into it. The hunter bow, sharp shooter bow, and rope caster are now essentially permanently equipped. I bought the blast sling and that shot gun thing really late and almost never use them as a result. Don't see the point in an elemental sling since I can move mods around any time to really soak something in elemental damage with just the hunter and war bows.

gow3isben

Question for those who have completed bandit camps:

Does Nil have any extra story involvement asides from merely clearing the camps? Maybe a final story mission after you clear out all the camps or involvement in the main story? If that is too much maybe merely a final bit of dialogue after the camps are cleared? Such a cool dude.

Does Nil have any extra story involvement asides from merely clearing the camps? Maybe a final story mission after you clear out all the camps or involvement in the main story?.
If you really want to know...

Yes, he has a finally "mission" after you clear all the camps.

So it's not ocassional? it's something that's always there? I wonder about that hole in the water...
I bet, somewhere, there are some secret machines hidden, broken or not completely developed, kinda like Shadow of the Colossus.

Yeah, it must be! Until I saw your video, I'd thought my game had glitched with both the wall and the columns, it freaked me out a bit. I had no idea about the sink hole in the water, though, that's really cool, let alone the fact you could stand on the island.

Oh, man, I'd love to see what people could dig up for Horizon. The extra SotC areas were great.

Does Nil have any extra story involvement asides from merely clearing the camps? Maybe a final story mission after you clear out all the camps or involvement in the main story? If that is too much maybe merely a final bit of dialogue after the camps are cleared? Such a cool dude.

Haha,
yes he has more after clearing all the camps
. He's such a great weirdo.

Kin5290

I was watching the ME:A streams when it hit me: Aloy actually creates her own objectives. Like if you're doing a mission with someone, say
Varl or Erend
, Aloy actually decides what to do instead of your partner (who is less of a badass and lacks your Focus) doing that.

After Bioware and Bethesda RPGs is a hell of a nice touch.

Also, Aloy's outfits generally have what Feminist Frequency coined the "strategic butt covering", which is used as a way to keep you from having to stare at a male character's ass while playing.

CHC

I'm also not finding a need for the trip caster. Relatively small amount of damage considering the pain it is to kite enemies into it. The hunter bow, sharp shooter bow, and rope caster are now essentially permanently equipped. I bought the blast sling and that shot gun thing really late and almost never use them as a result. Don't see the point in an elemental sling since I can move mods around any time to really soak something in elemental damage with just the hunter and war bows.

It gets pretty insane when you stack the blast wires. I killed a Stalker by setting like 6 wires all in one place and then luring him through it without even being spotted.

Rhaknar

It gets pretty insane when you stack the blast wires. I killed a Stalker by setting like 6 wires all in one place and then luring him through it without even being spotted.

This right here.

Loved using blast wires, abused the heck out of the free slow-mo when jumping to lay down wires right under enemies all the time lol

Cubed

I know a lot of people complained about the Cauldrons, but I liked them a lot. I liked that each one kind of had their own theme going on. After completing the first one I was worried I'd just be doing/seeing the exact same thing 4 more times.

I'm really taking my time on this game too. 40 hours in and I have yet to complete the main story and am sitting at 66% complete. Maybe not "crawling" through the game, but looking at what it takes to get to 100%, I can tell that I would be further along if I wanted to be. However, I'm just taking my time and exploring, fighting as much as I can, etc.

TTG

Stalkers are a really neat concept. Jungle leopard type that sets its own traps/alarms and that camo. When they have a pack of red watchers with them it's even better. Unfortunately, 2 shock arrows with the right mods on the bow knocks them over and once they stagger you can catch them in a loop of crit attack, flick 2 more arrows from close range, crit again and repeat.

The first one I fought was awesome. The change of pace to an enemy that is cloaked and waiting for you to make a move after every single thing before it just rushes at you essentially non stop was great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they fall to the ground via fire arrows, the prompt has an extremely short window because they get up quite quickly.

Otherwise, if they are actually on the ground (as opposed to in the getting up animation), just start doing a R2 heavy attack in the general direction. You can cancel the heavy attack into a critical hit at any time it pops up if you got it into the timing window. The other benefit of that is the R2 heavy attack also repositions you via tracking and often sets you up perfectly to go straight into a critical attack.

That latter aspect is great for all enemies in downed stated. Heavy attack > Critical attack cancel for maximum damage. Sometimes you can even do two heavy attacks and cancel the second one into a critical.
I just lucked into it, because the edges are so close to the out of bounds that I almost lost it. I had them tied down with ropes, so I had plenty of time. I just couldn't find the Critical Strike point at all. But I got it down so oh well.

Yeah that quest was annoying.
Yeeeep. Probably only time where I got frustrated with the whole game.

TTG

Kind of frustrated with the four weapon limit. Feel like I spend way too much time in combat managing inventory in menus.

I would much rather have that than tank most enemies by headshotting them with whatever is handy. Even going to a menu to look up if it's freeze or blaze canister in the middle of a fight is not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom