• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

elguero

Wow the
ropecaster
weapon is a game changer. Was finally able to take down a Thunderjaw and Stormbird after hours and hours of failure

I feel like i'm using a cheat code with Shield Weaver :/ But hey thats the way they made it and I had to work to get those powercells so might as well use it.

Is there any other armor thats cool looking and overall good to use? feel like i'm missing out

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wow the
ropecaster
weapon is a game changer. Was finally able to take down a Thunderjaw and Stormbird after hours and hours of failure

It works on those pesky Glinthawks that everyone hates too.

Edit: how DO you get the powercells for that sidequest?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I have a ton of nitpicks about the game and Cauldrons are one of the few parts in it that's great. I wish there were more.

I thought cauldrons were one of the few weak elements that Horizon had. They would've been more compelling if they featured bosses, or more precisely, machines that were exclusive to them and that you didn't encounter anywhere else in the game. What are the other few things you felt like Horizon got right?

I'm also not finding a need for the trip caster. Relatively small amount of damage considering the pain it is to kite enemies into it. The hunter bow, sharp shooter bow, and rope caster are now essentially permanently equipped. I bought the blast sling and that shot gun thing really late and almost never use them as a result. Don't see the point in an elemental sling since I can move mods around any time to really soak something in elemental damage with just the hunter and war bows.

The trip caster is primary tool against large enemies. I put in some purple-quality damage mods and I hide in the grass or behind a rock and cast them right at their feet or underneath them so they immediately explode. In cauldrons, before the "boss" is released, I set up a ton a tripwires and the enemies just take themselves out.

It may not be the quickest combat method, but it is the cheesiest. :D

It works on those pesky Glinthawks that everyone hates too.

Edit: how DO you get the powercells for that sidequest?
Theyre at random, usually hidden, places throughout the map (most can be picked up during main quests which is easier then getting them later on). Theres no way I wouldve found all of them on my own so I youtubed it. Also - I think 2 or 3 of them cant be picked up until you reach a certain point in the main story

Ferrio

Banned
I thought cauldrons were one of the few weak elements that Horizon had. They would've been more compelling if they featured bosses, or more precisely, machines that were exclusive to them and that you didn't encounter anywhere else in the game. What are the other few things you felt like Horizon got right?

Combat with medium/large machines, and graphics. Other than that I feel most things are mediocre, if not downright bad.

I liked the cauldron's because they each were unique compared to the rest of the world. They also forced you to fight stuff in a confined quarters so you couldn't cheese the encounter.

I'm still not finished with the game, but if it keeps going the way it does I don't think my opinion will change.

Combat with medium->large machines, and graphics. Other than that I feel most things are mediocre.

I liked the cauldron's because they each were unique compared to the rest of the world, as well as it forced you to fight stuff in a confined quarters so you couldn't cheese the encounter.
Even the story? I thought it was really interesting and kept me going, I had that "i need to know what happens next asap" feel, 1st time in a a long time. only a few open world game can pull that off like GTAV, Arkham series, and MGSV

TTG

Also, human enemies in this game are so easy I really enjoy it after grueling dino fights. A precision arrow to the head will take out a "heavy" or two to the body after some mods. Fighting the rest stealthily is when this game feels most like Far Cry. Even if they do end up aggrod, I've taken out 4-5 guys in one slow mo burst with the hunting bow a couple of times.

Ferrio

Banned
Even the story? I thought it was really interesting and kept me going, I had that "i need to know what happens next asap" feel, 1st time in a while, only a few open world game can pull that off like GTAV, Arkham series, and MGSV

Well like I said i'm still playing, but so far the story doesn't interest me too much. The main story is alright, nothing great and the side stories are complete crap. None of the characters interest me at all except maybe Aloy and Rost. They're going to have to throw some huge curveball for me to change my mind.

TTG

I liked the cauldron's because they each were unique compared to the rest of the world. They also forced you to fight stuff in a confined quarters so you couldn't cheese the encounter.

Meh. Cauldron design so far(have been to 2) is really conservative in terms of encounters. It looks great, but it's really basic stuff. The boss rooms at the end are pure frustration on highest difficulty. How could we make this really stupid? I know, flat ground with no way to break line of sight, not even some grass, that will fucking show them. And let's spawn in some more random machines if they're overlevelled.

CoolNumber9

88hrs now....Boredom/Fatigue.....STILL no where in sight 8)
I couldn't agree more. I hit 70 hours and haven't been able to play for 3 days thanks to having to work 12's at work covering for somebody out sick. I only have the last 5 story missions left, my wife watched all the story stuff and won't let me finish until she can watch too but I was just going around the other day lighting all the camp fires and fighting just to have something to do and still loving every miniute of it lol. Cannot get enough of the world. I sure hope we get some DLC!!!

Ferrio

Banned
Meh. Cauldron design so far(have been to 2) is really conservative in terms of encounters. It looks great, but it's really basic stuff. The boss rooms at the end are pure frustration on highest difficulty. How could we make this really stupid? I know, flat ground with no way to break line of sight, not even some grass, that will fucking show them. And let's spawn in some more random machines if they're overlevelled.

Different strokes I guess. I found the hardest cauldron while I was underleveled on the hardest difficulty. The fight was hard, many resets BUT it was fun. Outside the cauldron stuff is piss easy because I can stealth 5 feet infront of them and they don't give a fuck. I had to really think outside the box in that cauldron.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Well like I said i'm still playing, but so far the story doesn't interest me too much. The main story is alright, nothing great and the side stories are complete crap. None of the characters interest me at all except maybe Aloy and Rost. They're going to have to throw some huge curveball for me to change my mind.

Man, I don't get that at all. The characters in here are great and varied, the world is well explained and sensible, there is lore everywhere, the story is absolutely great and as a previous poster said makes you keep playing to find out what will happen next and this is on top of the game play and graphics. Yes, there are problems that the game has but they're exceedingly easy things to rectify in a sequel or DMC.

just discovered something that doubled the game's replay value for me (location spoilers)
Devil's Grief is Denver and there are a bunch of machines to fight there. I was really hoping to fight in a modern city so I kinda get my wish

I still wish we'd have gotten to see Tallnecks roaming the wild though.

ISee

This game is doing collectibles right, well at least most of them.
First, there aren't too many and it isn't too hard to find vantage points, metall flowers etc. It is doable and doesn't feel like grinding, at least not for me
Second, and actually even more important: Collectibles reward you with deeper story inside and help in world/setting building. The vantage point substory was already sad enough but now that I know a lot more about what actually happened... man this is such a sad game.

And while I'm praising:

It really feels like GG created this game to tell a certain story and not vice versa and in before 'other games also tell great stories': Yes, absolutely but they (mostly) tell a story in a certain, established world while this world was created with the purpose to tell this one story. And I respect and appreciate the game even more because of this.
(Granted I'm not done yet, but I already know what went down and I think I know how this is going to end.)
This game is also very sad and it is so frustrating to deal with NPCs once you realize what is/was going on. You want to shake them, scream at them and make them realize how wrong and stupid they are.

Edit:
This game also must have been a hard sell:
"Well, we would like to make a post-post apocalyptic game with robo dinosaurs, but without a season pass, microtransactions and multiplayer. The story will also be sad and this is a new IP and we have never done an open world game before."
Sony and GG took a great risk with this game.

mileS

I just had my first Stormbird fight randomly. Needed a Charger heart so I went to one of the sites. Didn't realize there was also a Stormbird flying around close by. I had one of those moments where I almost wanted to reload the game after I agro'ed him. Just wanted my Charger heart and thats all. Glad I didn't. That was a freakin crazy battle. I looked at his body after and I was shocked to see a good 15 or more of my ropecaster pegs. This game man. That was immediately followed up by running to an undiscovered campfire. But wait theres a human body.. Enter focus to see there are about 4 bandits ready to jump me from the tallgrass. The game up until this point teaches you campfires are always safe. That was a really fun surprise. I got the jump on them because of focus mode. Some of the best open world gaming moments in just one sitting.

CoolNumber9

First, there aren't too many and it isn't too hard to find vantage points, metall flowers etc. It is doable and doesn't feel like grinding, at least not for me

Second, and actually even more important: Collectibles reward you with deeper story inside and help in world/setting building. The vantage point substory was already sad enough but now that I know a lot more about what actually happened... man this is such a sad game.

And while I'm praising:

It really feels like GG created this game to tell a certain story and not vice versa and in before 'other games also tell great stories': Yes, absolutely but they (mostly) tell a story in a certain, established world while this world was created with the purpose to tell this one story. And I respect and appreciate the game even more because of this.
(Granted I'm not done yet, but I already know what went down and I think I know how this is going to end.)
This game is also very sad and it is so frustrating to deal with NPCs once you realize what is/was going on. You want to shake them, scream at them and make them realize how wrong and stupid they are.

I agree with all of this. I think the fantasic game play also make the collectibles not feel grindy. Hell like I said earlier I went around the whole world making sure I lit all the campfires just to have something more to do lol. I've never just begged for more to do in an open world game than this one.

I love how clueless the NPC's really are about the world. It's great. My wife and I have really enjoyed her conversations with them and how almost sarcastic she becomes about it. Just great stuff!!

KZObsessed

Decided to take on a Stormbird with arrows only... goddamn. Took everything I had but he's a pile of scrap now.

I honestly can't think of anything in another game that comes close to how amazing the Stormbirds are and how satisfying it is to take one down.

Gonna take on a few Thunderjaws tonight.

Decided to take on a Stormbird with arrows only... goddamn. Took everything I had but he's a pile of scrap now.

I honestly can't think of anything in another game that comes close to how amazing the Stormbirds are and how satisfying it is to take one down.

Gonna take on a few Thunderjaws tonight.

I fought one with only my Spear. By the end of it, he was afraid of the whooping.

Easily the coolest machine in the game.

Right, new to owning a PS4 and still getting to grips with the OS. Is there any way to upload/view videos/screenshots without linking my PSN ID to youtube, facebook, twitter etc?

I've got more than a couple of complaints about the game but fucking hell it looks absolutely incredible at times. Photomode has been getting a bit of a workout and I'd like to be able to download/share my captures. If there's a PSN equivalent of Xboxdvr.com then I can see myself wasting an entire afternoon wandering around taking photos rather than bothering with quests.

copy to usb drive. everything else compresses the image.

USB drive has me a little jumanjiwhatyearisit.jpg but at least it means one of my eleventy billion usb sticks will be useful for the first time in years.

Thanks.

Right, new to owning a PS4 and still getting to grips with the OS. Is there any way to upload/view videos/screenshots without linking my PSN ID to youtube, facebook, twitter etc?

I've got more than a couple of complaints about the game but fucking hell it looks absolutely incredible at times. Photomode has been getting a bit of a workout and I'd like to be able to download/share my captures.

copy to usb drive. everything else compresses the image.

ISee

I agree with all of this. I think the fantasic game play also make the collectibles not feel grindy. Hell like I said earlier I went around the whole world making sure I lit all the campfires just to have something more to do lol. I've never just begged for more to do in an open world game than this one.

I love how clueless the NPC's really are about the world. It's great. My wife and I have really enjoyed her conversations with them and how almost sarcastic she becomes about it. Just great stuff!!

Yes, absolutely.
I really hope this will sell very well, not necessarily because I want a HZD 2. I want this to make a point that new and excotic sutff can work out and I want more publishers to take a risk and to allow their studios to make games they really want to make and tell stories they want. At least from time to time.

And while I'm praising:

Edit:
This game also must have been a hard sell:
"Well, we would like to make a post-post apocalyptic game with robo dinosaurs, but without a season pass, microtransactions and multiplayer. The story will also be sad and this is a new IP and we have never done an open world game before."
Sony and GG took a great risk with this game.
This, so much this. I recently completed the Vantages and Bashar's tale adds so much depth to the game's story.

*rummages through piles of junk and debris to find USB stick*

*puts USB stick into front of PS4 Pro*

*USB stick is too fat*

*Goes back to rummaging through piles of junk until another USB stick is located*

*Puts USB stick into front of PS4 Pro and it fits this time*

*Selects a couple of video clips and some screenshots to copy to USB*

*1/19 - 3 hours remaining*

*Fights urge to put head through TV*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love the combat but also how your 'relationship' with the robots grows as you progress. My first encounters with the bigger ones is mostly me shitting myself, running around in circles madly sliding and dashing owing arrows randomly at it. When I eventually beat one it's a massive rush.

Then a little later on I notice that I'm entering encounters with the same robot differently - with a much more measured approach as that initial fear is gone, replaced with respect and hopefully patience. Later, as I learn more about how they behave the interactions can become almost transactional - I want resources from you, or I just fancy a fight

Also updating weapons with mods is slowly starting to click with me. Eg I had a fight with a bunch of glinthawks on top of a rock but I was dropping them to the ground with I think only one fire arrow after modding. That made them much more fightable.

I love the combat but also how your 'relationship' with the robots grows as you progress. My first encounters with the bigger ones is mostly me shitting myself, running around in circles madly sliding and dashing owing arrows randomly at it. When I eventually beat one it's a massive rush.

Then a little later on I notice that I'm entering encounters with the same robot differently - with a much more measured approach as that initial fear is gone, replaced with respect and hopefully patience. Later, as I learn more about how they behave the interactions can become almost transactional - I want resources from you, or I just fancy a fight

Haha yeah, remember when we were all scared of a sawtooth?

TTG

Haha yeah, remember when we were all scared of a sawtooth?

Two moments I had like that were the first Tall Neck past the gate and, of course, the first Storm Bird. At the foot of that Tall Neck were like 4 different types of machines, including the first Snapjaws I saw. There must have been more than 5 huge machines on screen at once, I expected one of those crazy nature videos to kick off where the alligator eats the ostrich, then a ravager eats the alligator and on it goes. When you see a Storm Bird's shadow and it's like a cloud passing over head, that's just a whoa moment.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This, so much this. I recently completed the Vantages and Bashar's tale adds so much depth to the game's story.

it really was a good story arc. It also lets you in on where exactly in the world the game is taking place (it's a videogame, so it's a shrunken version of a really large place)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it really was a good story arc. It also lets you in on where exactly in the world the game is taking place (it's a videogame, so it's a shrunken version of a really large place)

I've got a bunch of the vantages and finally read the more detailed descriptions (thanks whoever told me about them). I think I only have 3-4 left uncover d but have no idea where it's set - its mostly personal stuff.

Also I have like 90% of the audio and written logs still to find. Worried I'm missing them somehow but I'm not rushing at all.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I've got a bunch of the vantages and finally read the more detailed descriptions (thanks whoever told me about them). I think I only have 3-4 left uncover d but have no idea where it's set - its mostly personal stuff.

Also I have like 90% of the audio and written logs still to find. Worried I'm missing them somehow but I'm not rushing at all.

the data set log, the titles for each entries, are actual real world locations (well, most are)

Osla

Neo Member
Started playing yesterday. So far I've beaten the first Sawtooth and completed two follow-the-trail side quests. Those did not click with me. Switched the HUD off, but annoyed at the plant markers which can't be removed. After BoW the first area felt like a playground, couldn't find my way at all. And I wish you could adjust your aim with the gyro.

Should I keep playing or is this just not for me?

leng jai

Started playing yesterday. So far I've beaten the first Sawtooth and completed two follow-the-trail side quests. Those did not click with me. Switched the HUD off, but annoyed at the plant markers which can't be removed. After BoW the first area felt like a playground, couldn't find my way at all. And I wish you could adjust your aim with the gyro.

It's a vastly different game to Zelda, the less you compare the two the better honestly. They're both open world but their design philosophies couldn't be further apart. Horizon's strength is in the main story and Dinobot combat, once you get into the meat of the game you'll likely start enjoying it more.

teokrazia

Meridian looks fanstatic and by the standard of the game it feels way more lifelike and interesting than the usual, depressing robots show of other towns/villages lacking of any kind of 'sense of place'.

I also activated some promising subquests.
Hopefully they will be more compelling than the ones I've played so far.

Best one for me was...
The convoy one.
With the Longlegs and the Stalker.
Ordinary storyline, but some seriously amazing stuff to play.

The others were a tremendous mixedbag.

You should keep playing but be warned, it gets better in some respects and worse in others.

Better: Combat improves greatly as you come across the more exotic enemy creatures, I'm interested in seeing where the main story goes and exploring more of what is a pretty stunning open world.

Worse: There is still plenty of shitty filler getting in the way of enjoying the actual game. The game does split the quests into categories so you can easily see what is a legit sidequest and what is a crappy errand, enabling you to ignore some of the bullshit.

HZD is (as already said) all about telling a very sad but awesome story. The whole game was build to do just that.

The world was built to do that, then populated with a lot of other crap that just gets in the way of that story. I'm enjoying the vantage points that I've found so far and I'm optimistic about those resulting in a good story but a lot of the other stuff? Game would be better off without it, you've got a gorgeous game with really interesting combat but they shoved it into a Dragon Age Inquisition style world.

ISee

Do you like sci fi stories? Then keep on playing and concentrate on the main story line plus the vantage point collectibles, the cauldrons, maybe the tall necks and general world exploration. In general world building, exploration, awesome combat and the main story line are the parts that make this game great!
If you want to do dungeons, gather weapons, have a bigger open world and solve puzzles go and play BotW. Both games have different approaches and different aims, the similarities end with both have bows and are set in an open world environment.
HZD is (as already said) all about telling a very sad but awesome story. The whole game was build to do just that.

The world was built to do that, then populated with a lot of other crap that just gets in the way of that story. I'm enjoying the vantage points that I've found so far and I'm optimistic about those resulting in a good story but a lot of the other stuff? Game would be better off without it, you've got a gorgeous game with really interesting combat but they shoved it into a Dragon Age Inquisition style world.

Not even close. DA:I was filled with a bs amount of collectibles, slow resource gathering and stupid side stuff that was needed to gather artificial points so you can progress the main story line. It also had too big and pointless environments/areas.
HZD is already very compact and distilled, the open world is nice but by far not as huge as other games, there are collectibles but the amount doesn't feel overwhelming and most important: They tell a story (mostly) or give you insight into the world (past and current) and have rewards tied to them. You could argue about the hunting grounds or the errands but they are 100% optional at no time there is preassure to do them in contrast to Dragon Age

firehawk12

Subete no aware
the data set log, the titles for each entries, are actual real world locations (well, most are)
Even some of the dialog refers to real life locations.

But I don't think we can fault them too much for basically cheating the map. They also cheat the language as well, because why would these people speak like 20th century Americans with different American accents? lol

Staf

Just got the platinum trophy. It's my first platinum trophy ever and i've actively played games on my PS3 and PS4 since their release. The game is that good.

God Enel

How the fuck is it possible that Theo game is sold out in Germany? I was in four different stores in cologne to buy the game to a friend as a present but it's nowhere available. Wtf?

You know call me weird but I like collecting the metal flowers. A full set reveals a
poem
and the rewards you get from trading them in Meridian aren't half bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom