• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you guys got me to bite! What a world we live in, one day free delivery, can't wait to play tomorrow.

I have a KS8000 but no PS4 Pro. Hoping that KS8000 + PS4 will be enough "wow". Just bought the KS8000, a XBox One, a Switch, and Zelda so not keen on plopping down for a PS4 Pro just yet. =/

TheStig88

Ok, you guys got me to bite! What a world we live in, one day free delivery, can't wait to play tomorrow.

I have a KS8000 but no PS4 Pro. Hoping that KS8000 + PS4 will be enough "wow". Just bought the KS8000, a XBox One, a Switch, and Zelda so not keen on plopping down for a PS4 Pro just yet. =/
All I've got is a cheap Vizio and a base PS4 and this game still absolutely blew me the fuck away. It is gorgeous, full stop.

On my way to
Meridian in the desert area
and getting my ass kicked. There seems to be a lot more machines and tougher ones at that. The environment looks brilliant though.

I'm away from ps4, can you summarize?
The data points I read about it didn't mention the change.

Why would it be dumb? It fits entirely with the game and if Elizabet can wear it like that, no reason Aloy can't. Ancient technology should contrast with her normal modern styles.. that's the point -- it comes from a different time.

"Ancient technology, salvaged by Aloy and stitched to Nora Leather."

Elisabet wore it because the world outside was not sustainable. She actually died in her suit because it ran out of oxygen or something like that.

Aloy has salvaged the armor tech and and we assume Teb stitched it into Nora style for her. Aloy doesn't need to wear a space suit in the current world, and it would look absurd for her running around like a space marine.

nwSVj5r.gif

Zackat

Some of Sunhis gifs have made me realize they really need to add a toggle to turn off the dropped item/resource graphic.

Wonderful as always.

PaulloDEC

You know the one thing that's bumming me out about this game? The climbing really sucks. So often I'm faced with ledges that would be grabable in any other game, and yet Aloy does nothing but hop at them impotently.

Sacrifices have to be made in games I suppose, but it's really one of the few notable flaws I can think of.

SlickVic

On my way to
Meridian in the desert area
and getting my ass kicked. There seems to be a lot more machines and tougher ones at that. The environment looks brilliant though.

I would avoid getting caught up in fighting every machine you run into. That area is breathtaking, but also a bit overwhelming as you see a whole lot of machines you've never seen before. When I did that area, I tried to make it to that story mission as stealthily as I could. Afterwards I stocked up on weapons that would deal more elemental damage before going back to dealing with a lot of those machines. Make sure to check the machine guide in the menus to get a good idea of their weak points and what their bodies are weak to.

Just received the Watcher and Rost avatars from "the Hunt" activities on the PlayStation website a few weeks back, in case anyone else was still waiting.

Just checked the trophies, some interesting numbers:

86% percent of users finished The Proving.
75% scaled a Tallneck
70% killed every machine in a corrupted zone
63% Completed the War Chief quest
58% Completed a Cauldron
17% Finished the game (how many hundreds of thousands of people is it? around 500K I presume)

I don't know if this data is reliable, besides people have to sync their throphies but still.

geomon

Just checked the throphies, some interesting numbers:

75% scaled a Tallneck
58% Completed a Cauldron
17% Finished the game (how many hundreds of thousands of people is it? around 500K I presume)

I don't know if this data is reliable, besides people have to sync their throphies but still.
I'm not surprised completion is that low. People are spending days just roaming around the game world.

Just checked the trophies, some interesting numbers:

75% scaled a Tallneck
58% Completed a Cauldron

I'm still in the middle since I barely had time to play last week. I'd guess there's a lot of people who can't put so many hours in 4 weeks to finish it.

I'm still in the middle since I barely had time to play last week. I'd guess there's a lot of people who can't put so many hours in 4 weeks to finish it.

To be honest, I expected lesser numbers. ;)
Based on that data I could think that more than half players have left the Sacred Lands. Which is a lot imo.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just finished every side quest available in the game and finally really started the main story.

Ran into a couple fun things. bu going places early.

Sylens revealed himself when I went to that Shadow Carja village to warn me off instead of in the next main story dungeon. Also got a scene in the far north area with Aloy saying she really didn't think she should be there lol.

Weird thing happened when I cleared the last cauldron too. Aloy suddenly mentions something called
Hephaestus
and what it's
doing with the cauldrons
completely out of nowhere as if there was just a scene describing it, but there was nothing at all like that. I either missed a data point in the cauldron I was expected to watch or it's from later in the main story.

Question about Text Datapoints - Quests
#34 Artemis Status
I missed it the first time now i'm back there but its nowhere to be found. Did i mess up and not getting it on the play though?

gijsbrecht

Neo Member
I got Horizon on day one and still haven't finished it. Besides taking my sweet time to enjoy every bit of its world, I'm only playing at weekends. I can imagine there are more like me. This is one game I'm sure I will finish, though. It's such a cool world to visit and to be in. Love every second of it.

Just finished every side quest available in the game and finally really started the main story.

Ran into a couple fun things. bu going places early.

Sylens revealed himself when I went to that Shadow Carja village to warn me off instead of in the next main story dungeon. Also got a scene in the far north area with Aloy saying she really didn't think she should be there lol.

Weird thing happened when I cleared the last cauldron too. Aloy suddenly mentions something called
Hephaestus
and what it's
doing with the cauldrons
completely out of nowhere as if there was just a scene describing it, but there was nothing at all like that. I either missed a data point in the cauldron I was expected to watch or it's from later in the main story.

There's no scene, but you get a datapoint after finishing each Cauldron, if you read the final one you'll understand what she's talking about. At least, as much as she does.

Rien

Jelly Belly
44 hours in and the last time i have used a mount must have been at least 30 hours ago. I dont think i haver had so much fun in an open world game. They really made the world fun to explore and the combat is solid.

Skux

Holy shit guys the Rattler is fucking awesome once you can put freeze bolts on it.

Just get close, spam the shit out of freeze bolts to trigger the frozen state, then go to down with the regular bolts for massive damage. No need to wait for a bowstring to pull.

Great for taking down big game like Behemoths and Tramplers.

Zocano

"Ancient technology, salvaged by Aloy and stitched to Nora Leather."

Elisabet wore it because the world outside was not sustainable. She actually died in her suit because it ran out of oxygen or something like that.

Aloy has salvaged the armor tech and and we assume Teb stitched it into Nora style for her. Aloy doesn't need to wear a space suit in the current world, and it would look absurd for her running around like a space marine.

super late game side quest spoiler:

It isn't the suit that Elisabet wore. It's a brand new and untouched super suit.

No reason not to have the full thing on, I mean it's a super side extra thing and it wouldn't have hurt to just be completely bananas.

SpokkX

Completed everything but the collectable cups and statues (dont really care for stuff like that)

Just amazing and probably even tops Last of us as my favorite Sony internally developed game

Did NOT see this coming as i really did not like guerillas old games and generally do not care for open world games

- amazing combat
- the machines are a great achievemt
- main story is, totally unexpected, great - could be one of the best sci fi stories in the medium ever
- graphics and tech tops even naughty dogs
- great controls
- stealth is good and actually works

The things that could be improved
- human combat
- side missions could be improved both story and objective wise (the tracking stuff is just bad)
- controlling machines could be greatly expanded. For example taking a big machine to help clear out a bandits nest
- more dungeons - what is here is to little
- more interactivity in the world ala zelda

The most impressive thing is that this is their first game in the series (i assume). Uncharted 1 was barely a good game and look where that ended up

Yeah Guerilla now ranks among the great developers in the world

Ristlager

One thing I would improve for the sequel: just right out steal the sword combat from Monster Hunter 4. Doesn't need 10 different, but just choose the great sword, long sword and sword and shield or something. And increase the monsters count with dragons..

bunkitz

Jesus fuck. I need a moment. On the mission
Deep Secrets of the Earth
and I just finished
watching the second Zero Dawn presentation.

Tiny, insignificant thing that bugs me, though:
Why is Apollo named so? It's a knowledge archive. Athena/Minerva, people. On that note, why is Minerva the one meant to spread the signal and stuff...? Apollo, being the sun, would be more fitting.

And damn, man. I thought
Zero Dawn was going to be a life raft! What a twist! I love it so much. Holy shit. Especially cause Greco-Roman mythology. Also, oh my god, the machines aren't bad. Holy fuck. I don't wanna hurt Grazers anymore but I still will cause I needs me some Blaze and one of their hearts.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
After doing all the side quests and getting a bit into the main quests, there have been at least 4 seperate characters who have surprised me by
dropping dead after I thought they only had moderate injuries.
It's just getting silly.

Popup

Has anyone found out why there is a Breath Meter in the game? It's only use seems to be to allow the player to drown themselves in shallow water.

TheStig88

Has anyone found out why there is a Breath Meter in the game? It's only use seems to be to allow the player to drown themselves in shallow water.
It's for stealthy swimming. Can't say I ever even remotely found myself in a situation that called for it in my 50 hours though.

Got my platinum trophy this morning after 58 hours. 97.44 completion. I expected to enjoy this game based on prerelease coverage, but the degree to which I enjoyed it was unexpected. Absolutely loved the game. I rarely go for platinums but felt compelled to keep going with this one. Would highly recommend the game to anyone.

Alpende

Holy shit guys the Rattler is fucking awesome once you can put freeze bolts on it.

Just get close, spam the shit out of freeze bolts to trigger the frozen state, then go to down with the regular bolts for massive damage. No need to wait for a bowstring to pull.

Great for taking down big game like Behemoths and Tramplers.

Time for me to give that weapon a go!

All I've got is a cheap Vizio and a base PS4 and this game still absolutely blew me the fuck away. It is gorgeous, full stop.
I was playing the YS VIII PS4 Japanese Demo first thing this morning, I was really enjoying it and its visuals.

Time to play more Horizon, I thought after finishing with that. Horizon loads in and bam - wow - I'm immediately hit with just how far ahead Horizon is - compared especially to the lovely style but technically barely even PS3 quality YS VIII visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom